Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
it3llig3nc3

What is the point of the GO NAVY competition

46 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
647 posts
6,787 battles

As a started I was looking for a topic in which forum members discuss the GO NAVY competition and the point (motive) of the event. 

Only thread I found was closed due to non constructive content,, therefore I try to raise a constructive question about the situation.

First of all my understanding is that the GO NAVY competition will run for roughly 1 month:

"The competition will start the day after the update is released at 04:00 CEST (UTC+2);
The competition will end one day before the next version of the game is released. Each new day is a new stage!"

because WG runs a 4 weeks release cycle for the product.

This means that to ultimately win the competition one team needs to win at least 16 days.

Looking at the current situation it seems that one team is significantly ahead of the other not only by days won, but inside the day the performance is significantly better.

This is with consideration that WG thought about the balance issue and there is a score multiplier applied for the loosing team.

What is happening was more or less predictable based on past events.

This is why I do not understand why WG choose this framework for an event to motivate players to play more...?

The ultimate winner's prize is not that significant, therefore neither winners nor losers are differentiated significantly.

It seems to me a good psychological experiment as how different players react to the "temptation" to change their choice, but this aspect does not add to the game experience, only can be a good data source for a behavioral P.h.D dissertation.

Is there anything I miss to get excited for?

Last but not least: if WG is so much married to a competition concept in RANDOM style, it would have been better to implement the concept on a battle level: so when RANDOM battle starts each side of the battle randomly gets assigned to Sharks or Eagles and the outcome of the battle counts for the teams and for the individuals. In such way the "autobalance" of team strengths are better and the overall event is less controversial.

• Cool 2

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

goal is not competition, but motivating players to play the game daily. it is event for players to gather some special signals, camos and coal. you can earn tokens just by playing few battles every day and get perma camo for worcester or DM.

for most valuable prizes it doesnt matter if you are in winning or losing team. just that you play few battles daily till you get that invitation from enemy team for extra loyalty.

and it is great they did it this way, cause amount of grief by players for being in losing team would unbelievable.

• Cool 4

[NED]
Players
1,671 posts
6,287 battles

Honestly i think its a bit of a non-event its just a way to pick up some free stuff for me.

• Cool 8

[PUPSI]
Players
6,594 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, it3llig3nc3 sagte:

First of all my understanding is that the GO NAVY competition will run for roughly 1 month:

according to the ingame info it runs until 21.8., so it should be 25 event days

Vor 2 Minuten, it3llig3nc3 sagte:

This means that to ultimately win the competition one team needs to win at least 16 days.

I'd say there is no ulimate winner, every day is an own competition (at the moment a competition of popularity) with new teams every day...

Vor 4 Minuten, it3llig3nc3 sagte:

This is why I do not understand why WG choose this framework for an event to motivate players to play more...?

maybe because it is an huge improvement compared to the clash of elements event which had the huge disadvantage that it forced players to join an obviously losing team...this is not an issue this time, since every day is on its own with a new team decision every day...

Vor 6 Minuten, it3llig3nc3 sagte:

Last but not least: if WG is so much married to a competition concept in RANDOM style, it would have been better to implement the concept on a battle level: so when RANDOM battle starts each side of the battle randomly gets assigned to Sharks or Eagles and the outcome of the battle counts for the teams and for the individuals. In such way the "autobalance" of team strengths are better and the overall event is less controversial.

and how should that loyality stuff work on this kind of battle?

In the end for most players this event (or any other) is a opportunity to get free stuff, containers, camos, ... Of course they are some players that take such events far to serious, fabulating about traitors, moral, honor and so on, but ok....

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles
3 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

Honestly i think its a bit of a non-event its just a way to pick up some free stuff for me.

To me this, play normally and get something extra.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

1) part of the US arc

2) get players to play dayly

3) free stuff you get for just playing the game like you normally would is free

[POP]
Weekend Tester
555 posts

The rewards are not bad for the amount of work you need to put into the event. Permanent camos are kind of nice and you can get a whole bunch of containers on top with coal and flags and stuffs in them. Whoever wins any given day doesn't actually mean all that much. 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,041 posts
3,371 battles
14 minutes ago, it3llig3nc3 said:

As a started I was looking for a topic in which forum members discuss the GO NAVY competition and the point (motive) of the event. 

-Get players to play daily to drive up server population

-Sell containers

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,469 posts
4,545 battles

You know its summer time, many people do other things then play on computer.

To get more of their customers playing at this time they make such "events".

Weekend Tester
612 posts

The point is not to "win" the competition, as this is not a competition.

Grinding is the main point.

You grind tokens which you can use to buy permanent camo for some tier10 cruisers.

But you can't have them all. You need to give WG money to get them all.

Players
1,019 posts
7,776 battles

It's just another grind to motivate you play. If that 3rd daily container is not enough -- or you already got it -- maybe that shark/eagle container will make you play one more game.

We also get to ponder the relative merits of accipitrids vs. pleurotremata.

[HOO]
Players
1,219 posts
2,535 battles
51 minutes ago, it3llig3nc3 said:

Only thread I found was closed due to non constructive content,, therefore I try to raise a constructive question about the situation.

"The competition will start the day after the update is released at 04:00 CEST (UTC+2);
The competition will end one day before the next version of the game is released. Each new day is a new stage!"

because WG runs a 4 weeks release cycle for the product.

Looking at the current situation it seems that one team is significantly ahead of the other not only by days won, but inside the day the performance is significantly better.

This is with consideration that WG thought about the balance issue and there is a score multiplier applied for the loosing team.

What is happening was more or less predictable based on past events.

The ultimate winner's prize is not that significant, therefore neither winners nor losers are differentiated significantly.

It seems to me a good psychological experiment as how different players react to the "temptation" to change their choice, but this aspect does not add to the game experience, only can be a good data source for a behavioral P.h.D dissertation.

Is there anything I miss to get excited for?

This whole event plus the daily rewards for playing we've had last month and starting again today, and the Indy Marathon all suggest WG's strategy is about getting us to play more AND on a daily basis.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,480 battles

TBH I consider this event a good one. There's not a goal to achieve but it makes you wanna play and get some stuff for it. Nice.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
551 posts
8,741 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

despite the fact that it is hot and sunny.

Duh, nope. It's way too hot. Despite stable 40-50 degrees celsius inside even on full load, fans in my pc go into berserk mode when I play anything trying to keep the temperature.

Also, I'll say it again: if coop points are based on the same principle as credits/xp income: "you play multiple coop games in the time it takes to play a single random", then it's obvious now how much it's untrue, and it need to be looked at and rebalanced to be more in line with the rest of the game modes. If points were not balanced that way, then, well, having a coop player on your team is a waste of space #CoopGotShaftedAgain

[JRM]
Players
1,307 posts
14,668 battles
1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

The event itself honestly isn't even all that lucrative. Another casualty of WG's recent, "Don't give them things." mentality.

Well to be fair - we had Indianapolis marathone recently, before that was iirc varyag? And before that aigle and new year campaign for doy so there is stuff given away and since u can use coal to buy pretty much all u need from arsenal its not a bad Prize imo

Players
82 posts
9,176 battles

You get free stuff for pressing your left mouse button once every now and again to chose a team and to stay with a team when asked to change sides. It's not a very well thought out promotion, notice I say promotion rather then competition because it is a promotion to get people playing more and thus spending more money so WG get more vodka. This has nothing to do with skill the Sharks are winning because more people join them, if it were totally random then both teams would be around equal plus or minus RNG. You have to be realistic with computer games especially massive online games like this, skill only plays a small part in the overall experience, RNG plays a massive part as does the random nature of teams and the composition of the teams. Unless you division you're going to lose a significant number of games no matter what you do ( I'd guess around 30% as a single player but it could be more ) , you will also win roughly the same number of games by doing little or nothing with the final percentage being your influence on the outcome.  

[SM0KE]
Players
2,615 posts
6,467 battles

I think it's a good event: at its most fundamental, it's extra coal (and other free stuff) for playing much as I normally would.

With the addition of the Arsenal, coal is an extremely worthwhile thing to accumulate (at the very least, the special upgrades are extremely helpful in some cases).

[KAKE]
Players
1,041 posts
3,371 battles
7 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I think it's a good event: at its most fundamental, it's extra coal (and other free stuff) for playing much as I normally would.

This.

Worst case, I get a decent amount of coal out of it (which means I may not have to choose between Musashi and Kronstadht when the time comes) and a free perm camo for Des Moines that I can use to piss off the purists.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,054 posts
3,769 battles

I don't find the event interesting at all, I just do it to rake in some (additional) oil for the clan. 

But it's free stuff, and it doesn't require me to jump through hoops... that are on fire...and are suspended 45 meters up... by barbed wire... over a floor made of molten glass. So I'm not complaining.

[BITAM]
[BITAM]
Players
1 post
5,074 battles

Well to say my opinion after some days playing for the event, I would say 2 thinks:
It started getting boring
It started getting annoying

To explain what I mean I started realizing some fact mostly while playing co - op and fewer times in random battles:
People are bored to play but choose to play a battle just to grind event points. I realized that because in every co op game 2 to 3 players are afk.......
Also in co - op games most ships especially battleships and cruisers stand at the base or behind and wait the bots to come like shooting ducks.

It is also really annoying because in most battles some players steal kills just for the points. Some players pick a target and almost kill it when some wizeguys finish the kill with a quick shot but without having done anything to bring the targets helth down. And that is some really buggy rule that WG has put for this event. For me kills should not give points. Persentage of damage should give points. It is really unfair, players getting lazy and greedy and the game looses points in it playability.
To conclude, WG puts some random challenges in the event battles. This challnges that give big extra points are REALLY random. So random that are useless in some cases. For example a challenge you have to complete is find 9 torps. What hapens when at the teams are no destroyers, no torp bombers, or no cruisers with torps? It happened to me not once nor twice but three times.....or when you have to hit 3 citadels and all the ships are battleships...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
647 posts
6,787 battles

Having played a while and reading through the comments it seems that not only myself got confused with the real meaning of this event. :-)

At least it is good to know I'm not the only one who got puzzled by the way it is done.

What is more funny is that in my understanding there is no option to stay out of the event - when the game starts each day you MUST pick a side... my God, I can't stay neutral.... haha.

The main point I realized is that while switching team is quite easy (I guess many people gravitate towards the winner) being loyal is not only good because of the reward crates, but also because you do not split your token income between the two sides - you being loyal is the way to maximize the shop purchase value :-) quite strong financial motivator.

As for myself I'm not really following my results, however can't avoid being involved when the random in-game missions pop up. The funnies for me was the "Get 3 defended ribbons" in a DD -- problem was that we were in a Standard Battle... what are the chances for that to make happen...

BTW: have you seen Flambass' Youtube vid with his Tirpitz shooting HE in almost the entire battle because his side mission was to do 15 module damage...? Hilarious...

Sign in to follow this