Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beefy_Manpants

Idiotically skewed matchmaking

25 comments in this topic

[AOD]
Players
5 posts
1,930 battles

Played 40 matches yesterday, have a 1.88 kill ratio and had 8% wins.  That's right, killed almost 2 to 1 ships in my favor and my teams were so consistently bad that I lost 92% of my battles.   That should be statistically impossible over 40 matches.

• Boring 4

Players
81 posts
2,995 battles

I don't think you know how statistics and probability work.

Also kill ratio doesn't tell us much about your performance, maybe you just kill-stealed :D

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
8 minutes ago, Oberendgegner said:

I don't think you know how statistics and probability work.

Also kill ratio doesn't tell us much about your performance, maybe you just kill-stealed :D

Kill stealing sounds so bad. Maybe he just wanted to secure them?

Also, I think the correct form would be kill-stole.

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles

So out of 40 games you say you won 3. Currently your WR is 48% out of 85 battles means you won 41.

In conclusion you had 45 games with 38 wins, meaning your WR was 84,44% up till that point.

Clearly the latter is perfectly fine for you, because you feel like you should win all the time, while the first one should be impossible :fish_aqua:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles

That is kill/death ratio, not average kills. Your average kills is 1.44, still pretty good. But it is not always kills and damage that decide a game. Killing a out of position cruiser or BB will yield nice personal rewards but if it means other ships can get into a better position or yourself in a bad one, they can still be detrimental to the overall effort.

So kills and damage should be applied to ships that are in a good position (example, a BB that can cover 2 caps can be really strong, so pushing it away will help the team) or ships that directly threaten a cap (mainly DD's).

So don't just chase ships to gain kills and damage. Focus on map control and objectives and you will not only win more but get the damage and kills that matter. Offcourse try capping and spotting aswell really don't hurt.

[AOD]
Players
5 posts
1,930 battles

Glad to know that my own performance is always the key to victory and the other ships on the team contribute nothing.  I'll continue trying to improve in  order to carry every match on my own back.  Also, I don't really care about having a great win ratio, just boggled at the really bad trend that occurred yesterday.

[WTFNO]
Players
263 posts
5,064 battles

Bad streaks do happen. Nothing new here.

Best advice seems to take a break after a few losses in a row.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,396 posts
5,436 battles
7 minutes ago, Beefy_Manpants said:

Glad to know that my own performance is always the key to victory and the other ships on the team contribute nothing.  I'll continue trying to improve in  order to carry every match on my own back.  

Obviously you can't carry every match, no one can. But improving on a personal level relieves a lot of stress, you can carry some games and contribute long enough so someone else can pull in the win and getting better.

Or maybe it's just me, but I get very little satisfaction blaming someone else each and every time something goes wrong. Being selfcritical is much more fun.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
2,995 battles
22 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Also, I think the correct form would be kill-stole.

While that does make sense, it just doesn't... sound right. I accept 'kill-steal' as a completely new term with undefined past tense, which is why I add the 'default' one.

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
1 minute ago, Oberendgegner said:

While that does make sense, it just doesn't... sound right. I accept 'kill-steal' as a completely new term with undefined past tense, which is why I add the 'default' one.

Eh, kill-stole is way better sounding than kill-stealed, which only might look ok if you never say it out loud. Also, even if it is a newly coined term, it is etymologically derrived from to steal, thus follows conventions for that. English also is confusing around that additional inconsistency (in form of an exception to the exception) is not exactly helpful.

[AOD]
Players
5 posts
1,930 battles

Again, I am not trying to have the best record.  I am not a great player and may never be.  You are trying hard to read something into the original post that wasn't there.  Thanks for your contribution though.

[TTT]
Players
4,110 posts
7,848 battles
41 minutes ago, Beefy_Manpants said:

Glad to know that my own performance is always the key to victory and the other ships on the team contribute nothing.  I'll continue trying to improve in  order to carry every match on my own back.  Also, I don't really care about having a great win ratio, just boggled at the really bad trend that occurred yesterday.

you know what they say, ship happens. sometimes you just get these streaks, not a lot you can do about it...

Oh, and one thing. Your own performance is not the sole key to every single win or loss - but it is the sole contributing factor to your overall winrate. Important difference to understand if you want to a) not sound like a moron and b) improve your own performance.

[AOD]
Players
5 posts
1,930 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

So out of 40 games you say you won 3. Currently your WR is 48% out of 85 battles means you won 41.

In conclusion you had 45 games with 38 wins, meaning your WR was 84,44% up till that point.

Clearly the latter is perfectly fine for you, because you feel like you should win all the time, while the first one should be impossible :fish_aqua:

I am perfectly happy to agree that the 84% win rate was also ludicrous, but who complains when they are winning?

Players
1,019 posts
7,776 battles

I feel like in these threads are often explained by a couple cognitive biases.

First, people tend to ascribe meanings to random patterns in data. Second, people have selective memories and forget the many times nothing unusual happens.

We all do this, and I've found myself cursing WG, the player base etc. to hell too. But it's helpful to be mindful of the above biases -- sometimes you can catch yourself in the act of committing them.

Looking back with at my ~6000 games, I've had perhaps 2 win streaks of >10 games, and also about 2 lose streaks of >10 games, during that time. Then an increasing number of shorter win/loss streaks, and then thousands of games with a non-descript pattern of wins and losses. With that long hindsight, I see no evidence of a MM conspiracy.

[YEEET]
Players
1,206 posts
11,644 battles

The advice that I have seen many times is to have a break if you hit a losing streak - or at the least change ship type.Has served me well - I don't play that much these days but will always break if on a losing streak. The next day always seems better! I regard myself a bog standard average - reflexes not as good as many here - but I always play for the team and feel that helps - I even get compliments when playing in the Belfast!! :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
71 posts

That's nothing, saw Yamato in open water.. warned my team I'll be firing torps from 15km out... torps almost hit and a iowa tried to ram yamato and soaked up my torps and then we lost.

[CATS]
Players
15,933 posts
11,179 battles
3 hours ago, Beefy_Manpants said:

Played 40 matches yesterday, have a 1.88 kill ratio and had 8% wins.  That's right, killed almost 2 to 1 ships in my favor and my teams were so consistently bad that I lost 92% of my battles.   That should be statistically impossible over 40 matches.

Hard to believe such fairy tales.

Modder
4,002 posts
7,198 battles
7 minutes ago, mil71 said:

and then we lost

I remember you in one of my games. And I was impressed how to managed to protect the border with your Bismarck while constantly flaming the team...

With this impression and your ruthless behaviour I am not surprised at all that the team with you lost.

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles
1 hour ago, Beefy_Manpants said:

I am perfectly happy to agree that the 84% win rate was also ludicrous, but who complains when they are winning?

well, not complain, but maybe it makes it easier to accept the horrendous losing streak of yours?

I feel those days when you are only losing are best kept short. Play the next day usually works better. Every ~5 days when we play (mostly 2-division) we get a drop in WR. Last time we kept playing for 22 matches total (even half with 3-man) but ended up with <40% WR. Normaly we are around 70%ish as of late. There is obviously nothing to gain at some days. Play a couple of games and quit when it aint working. Saves your WR and doesnt make you mad^^

Beta Tester
71 posts
4 minutes ago, principat121 said:

I remember you in one of my games. And I was impressed how to managed to protect the border with your Bismarck while constantly flaming the team...

With this impression and your ruthless behaviour I am not surprised at all that the team with you lost.

I can make up stuff like you as well.

Try harder.

And why would I be on the border in a brawler build? :Smile_facepalm:

Modder
4,002 posts
7,198 battles
10 minutes ago, mil71 said:

I can make up stuff like you as well.

Try harder.

I do not have screenshots from the result, and I do use a mod to "unsee" the chat ingame. But, unlike you, I can backup what I state with the help of mxStat (and I remembered your name, because you where on the bottom of the resultscreen, but still alive in a lost game):

1.jpg.66f06503b02433175afb89176a0c5742.jpg

2.jpg.27f3c26971bdf9f5ed7aad1a25ba4890.jpg

:cap_cool::cap_cool::cap_cool:

It is now your turn to "try harder"....

(and I am still not impressed - as you and your ingame toxic behaviour only confirms my signature)

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,480 battles
3 hours ago, Beefy_Manpants said:

:cap_fainting:

thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

Sign in to follow this