Freemium Ships

22 comments in this topic

Question

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles

So

I was wondering if I have missed any obvious routes here, but i was wondering if there is a way to get a 'free' USN premium ship (mostly for capt retraining, and a bit of credit grinding).

If I had used an invite code, I would have got the texas (and I like the New York so would have liked that!) but that is not the case, sadly.

I was not blessed by RNG in the American containers and got no missions for those premiums... although I did recently get a Leningrad in a SC so I can't complain.

I am currently grinding as much coal as i can - but there are no USN ships available to buy for coal (I do want a IJN prem, and I can afford the Yubari but am going to see if Mushai is in shouting distance first!). I only have 76k FXP so a FXP ship is probably a pipe dream (although a target nonetheless). Might some mid-tier USN ships become available for coal soon?

Otherwise, any suggestions on how to get a fremium USN ship (preferably USS Texas but I wouldn't object to Alabama, Indianapolis or Fint lol!!!!)? I don't play clan battles so Steel is basically out of the question. BB's are preferable because they (tend to be ) less reliant on the optimal captain builds to work (important in a primary role of captain retrainer!) but at the moment just about anything would do!

(as an aside, do you get a captain, cammo and a port slot when you buy ships for coal, or is it just the ship!?)

21 answers to this question

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

The most reliable to get is Salem for coal. The other choices are grinding steel in Ranked and CB for Flint/Black. That's basically all the options currently available.

Other than that, either hope for some marathon for a US ship like with Indianapolis, but that is unreliable, or until Alaska gets made a free exp ship, whereupon it would likely be available for 750k free exp.

Given Salem's credit earning potential is pretty bad though and captain grinding can be replaced through elite commander exp, you could basically just get a 19 pt captain on any ship you make money with and grind elite commander exp to use for US captains later. In that sense, Musashi is a better coal purchase than Salem.

And if you hover over the offers, you'd see what you get. They come with slot and I think low point captain. All premiums come with permacamo these days.

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles

How did you miss Indianapolis just couple of weeks ago?

Would have been the easiest to go for imo? I dont know any other way to get one at this moment. If any is being available soon.. only WG can tell i think?

15 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

(as an aside, do you get a captain, cammo and a port slot when you buy ships for coal, or is it just the ship!?)

Says so if you look at them in the Arsenal:

- 3pt cptn

- Port slot

- Premium ships always come with Camo, so i guess so.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,442 posts
6,517 battles

I believe Alaska is going to be a freemium soon.

Beta Tester
1,012 posts
7,440 battles

Well, that question right after the end of the Indianapolis marathon sounds like you really messed up a bit.

Indianapolis is just the right trainer for US ships.

Salem is quite some way off, imo ... but I dont see anything else in reach.

Yubari is ok, has the advantage of special matchmaking (sees max. T5). Your best choice at the very moment, I guess.

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
17 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

How did you miss Indianapolis just couple of weeks ago?

I didn't have the time to do enough of the marathon - I only completed about 11 of the missions:Smile_amazed:

19 minutes ago, domen3 said:

I believe Alaska is going to be a freemium soon.

Could be interesting... how soon is 'soon' :Smile_smile:

15 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

until Alaska gets made a free exp ship, whereupon it would likely be available for 750k free exp.

Oh, wait... an FXP one... erm... I'll be a looong time before I can afford that:Smile_amazed:

15 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

The most reliable to get is Salem for coal. The other choices are grinding steel in Ranked and CB for Flint/Black. That's basically all the options currently available.

Yeah, OK... I forgot about Salem! But Mushai seems far enough away as it is!!!

17 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Says so if you look at them in the Arsenal

:Smile_facepalm:Thanks :)

Thanks for the replies all.

I was hoping there would be some magical 'invite a friend' (alt account *cough*) and you would also get the Texas when they did.

*sigh* oh well... basically keep grinding coal and FXP, and in the meantime hope for some more blessings in SC's or new missions from WG:cap_tea:

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Pillager said:

Well, that question right after the end of the Indianapolis marathon sounds like you really messed up a bit.

Yeah... sort of. Combination of me being potato, and generally not having enough time at the right times to play to get enough of the missions completed :fish_boom:

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles

Just grind captain exp on an 19 pt captain to invest in other captains really.

Beta Tester
1,012 posts
7,440 battles
4 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Yeah... sort of. Combination of me being potato, and generally not having enough time at the right times to play to get enough of the missions completed :fish_boom:

Yep, thats the problem of all of us players with a real life ...

Dont worry, there will always be a new challenge. Thx god  WG is really busy with that.

Alreday got some ships this way the last 3 years: Spee, Duke of York, Indianapolis, dunno if more.

Dont make hasty decisions at the moment ... wait what they are ghoing to do with the arsenal. The actual status is not the final one, for sure.

I understand you dont plan to invest real money ?

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Pillager said:

Dont make hasty decisions at the moment ... wait what they are ghoing to do with the arsenal. The actual status is not the final one, for sure.

Wait, wot, decisions? I never make those lol! Still got just over 1k doubloons (from another SC) waiting for the 'right' moment.

13 minutes ago, The_Pillager said:

I understand you dont plan to invest real money ?

Nope, I'm a short-armed deep-pocket kinda fellow :Smile_coin::Smile-_tongue: Thanks to all those who do spend money on it - it keeps me playing!

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

or until Alaska gets made a free exp ship, whereupon it would likely be available for 750k free exp.

I don't think Alaska's going to be a FreeXP ship, she's probably next "competitive reward ship" in line after the Stalingrad

Beta Tester
1,012 posts
7,440 battles
15 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

Nope, I'm a short-armed deep-pocket kinda fellow :Smile_coin::Smile-_tongue: Thanks to all those who do spend money on it - it keeps me playing!

That`s the basic idea of the game: free to play for all

And with 55 premium ships in harbour I accept Your thanks to the big spenders happily :Smile_teethhappy:

Seems You focus on the US cruisers at the moment, but the new Cleveland is not really Your strong point statswise. You are way off the serverlevel in damage numbers after 70 battels.

You should definitely get the Dallas asap and get used to this playstyle. 

No offense ... just saying  

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
2 hours ago, The_Pillager said:

Seems You focus on the US cruisers at the moment, but the new Cleveland is not really Your strong point statswise. You are way off the serverlevel in damage numbers after 70 battels.

You should definitely get the Dallas asap and get used to this playstyle. 

No offense ... just saying

Thanks for the shout out - I'm always looking for advice but never sure where/how to go about asking for it :). I am aware of this - and btw, that was very restrained of you to word it that carefully :):Smile-_tongue: 

I have (mostly) tried to settle in to just playing it for the daily win for now... although it's not really fair on the teams I do go in. I find I tend to either potato behind a convenient island which means I can cover a 'full' cap with radar but not be in a shooting angle... or be in a position to shoot but at risk of exposing myself. I am reasonably OK with the island-shooting positioning in New Orleans but I am wondering if I should maybe stop playing 'radar first' on Cleveland and just focus on playing it to actually hit stuff and regard radar as a 'secondary' thing. Not very team-orientated tho. I also excuse myself a bit by saying that with only a 10 pt captain (12 actually but 2 are unallocated) I can't get as good damage as I would if I had IFHE! AP goes someway to mitigate that once a fire is burning tho.

In case you have some 'spare' time etc, see below a copy-paste PM I sent someone yesterday who used to be very good at 'mentoring' me but I think recently has basically stopped playing. If you could provide any pointers that would be awesome. The last video is a Cleveland game.

Spoiler

Any suggestions on what I should do to improve in general? Not to become too obsessed with stats, but at c. 900 games and still mediocre stats, I feel I do need to change something.

(https://wows-numbers.com/player/549298981,Rusty_9/progress/)

Below are some recent 'good' games. I wondered if you could maybe point out the bits that went well, and whether there was any 'total luck you got away with that' moments, or maybe I am doing the right thing and just need to keep plugging away to gradually improve my 'stats' (for what they are worth). 

Spoiler

An above-my-average New orleans game

An OK New York game

A really stupid Kraken game in a New York

Roflstomp NO game

Cleveland... bad luck and slow re-positioning?! Or just potato

Many Thanks - and if this overwhelms you, just ignore it and please don't let this put you off offering advice again in future:Smile_smile:

[BLUMR]
Players
66 posts
5,767 battles

Hey @Rusty_9

I have some spare time at lunch so ill have a look over your replays if thats okay? I'm also free later on this evening and if you want some pointers or just someone to play with Im more than happy to Div and try my best to help you in whatever way i can!

(My stats are okay i'd say and Im fairly knowledgeable... I hope :cap_book:)  If interested https://wows-numbers.com/player/518495241,Kongouuu/

I was very New when i first started, very headstrong and went into the game with the mindset of "I don't need help i know what Im doing and Im the best"

I still think Im the best (Clearly Im not but i like to dream) but i learned the hard way and I think its great you're really working hard to get better! :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
20 minutes ago, Kongouuu said:

I have some spare time at lunch so ill have a look over your replays if thats okay? I'm also free later on this evening and if you want some pointers or just someone to play with Im more than happy to Div and try my best to help you in whatever way i can!

That's awesome Kongouuu - much appreciated.

I'd love to do some div work, but I've just played what i think will be my last games for a wee while - I've got a mountain of work to get through after a nice chilling break and am going to need to take a pause on 'me time' for a bit.:Smile_amazed:

I definitely know the 'I am going to be great at this, watch me come and wow you all' feeling at the start... my ego is still smarting! Ah well, we live and learn. If we stop one, we stop the other... and i ain't ready for that yet :Smile_coin: :Smile_teethhappy:

edit: and damn, those stats... maybe I should just give up now to avoid embarrassing myself any more :Smile_amazed:

Edited by Rusty_9

[BLUMR]
Players
66 posts
5,767 battles
17 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

That's awesome Kongouuu - much appreciated.

I'd love to do some div work, but I've just played what i think will be my last games for a wee while - I've got a mountain of work to get through after a nice chilling break and am going to need to take a pause on 'me time' for a bit.:Smile_amazed:

edit: and damn, those stats... maybe I should just give up now to avoid embarrassing myself any more :Smile_amazed:

No Worries man, Its not much work for me to gloss over for possibly a helpful hint for you!

I took a year break from WoT console and it was the best thing I ever did, made me look at the game with envy and desire to get better (Obviously taking a year break from WoWs is not recommended at all) but even going back to the norm and getting work done might help the same way leaving the game helped me?

I'll happily pm you my Discord if you want it after I've seen your replays and happy to answer any questions anytime on there. I'll also do my best to highlight the videos for you if that helps!

The stats are more from experience than everything... I've spent lots of time playing with better people and learning (Also letting my ego carry me through kinda helped too :cap_hmm:)

I wouldn't worry too much though mine were dreadful when i started... I don't want to talk stats as they are pretty irrelevant as anyone can make plays if they know what to do and how to handle their ship! :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[PRAVD]
Players
1,118 posts
5,616 battles

Don't worry about the stats too much. Sure, they can be better, but you have less than 900 random battles under your belt. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles

Thanks again @Kongouuu - Discord is same as in-game - Rusty_9

(Note: I'm not a regular user of it, but do keep an eye on it from time to time :))

• Cool 1

Players
1,384 posts
10,332 battles

I'd like to say, best just hop over to the store real quick and buy a Premium ship if you want one. Which is why I'm going to write a little about that, even though it is off topic, but the option is there. (Another option would of course be to maybe get an invite code and re-grind your way all the way up to Tier VI real quick in a new account. After first deleting the old one, since I seem to recall someone saying somewhere it was not allowed to have multiple accounts, although I can't find the place where it says so in the EULA, Terms of Service etc. but hey.)

That said, speaking as a proud and card-carrying wallet warrior who has sunk a lot of money into this game, there are currently no US packages that seem to fit your bill. The only US offer currently grabbing my personal fancy is one of the Monaghan packages with a 10-point captain. But that is a very quirky ship, and even though I am a very quirky player, I'm still not sure if I'm doing it.

As such, 20 Euros for a Texas is not a huge amount of money but she is just not worth it. As far as I know, the price doesn't even include my beloved MURRICA F*CK YEAH Stars and Stripes perma-camo. Texas was great in her day, and if you insist on playing the game for free, with no premium account, having a free Texas from the invite code sure is a godsend. However, for one, you could get 60 days of Premium for the money or 90 days for not much more. Or, say, the "Treasure Triad" with 30 days plus 2000 Doubloons plus 3.7 million credits. This would be a lot more effective in most respects except captain training.

Also, in terms of sheer performance, Texas has been badly victimized by power creep. König and Iron Duke both beat the snot out of her. Arizona is better but in the mid tiers, there are a lot of CVs these days, and having worse AA than New Mexico is a recipe for frustration. Also not exactly cheap as well at 25 Euros. Indianapolis is a super nice ship, a very solid cruiser undeserving of the bashing she gets from certain circles, but even if I'd known that before getting her from the Marathon, and there hadn't been a marathon, I can't see myself shelling out almost 29 Euros for her.

I did shell out more than 33 Euros for a much less well rounded ship that is frankly useless in a lot of situations. And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am of course talking about Atlanta. But then you also have to be prepared to do nothing but grind XP on her commander for a long time, or else shell out more money for Free XP conversion, because she frankly is no fun at all without at least a 10pt captain, slightly better with 14pt, but needs an 18 or 19-pt commander to really come into her own, and remains situational even then.

So what is the upshot of all this rambling, unsolicited advice?

I still think people should, on occasion, spend money on this game. But they should make sure it's what they want and they get a good deal. The other day, when the selection of ships in the Premium shop was a lot more restricted than currently, Wargaming suddenly flogged several astonishing packages for about 10 Euros, each with a berth and 6-pt captain and doubloons or other goodies. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/157322-crazy-ship-deals-in-premium-shop/ Can't say if they will ever do it again but if they do, these are just too good to miss. So look out for them, as well as good deals on premium accounts.

(Also buy a Scharnhorst and release your inner Viking. Just saying.)

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,012 posts
7,440 battles

excellent essay, man, thats exactly the way it is.

There is nothing really interesting for Rusty in the shop at the very moment, even if he were willing to spend real money.

I would not recommend the Boise to him, because its just too expensive to be reasonable.

Neither Monaghan, nor Texas, Arizona, Marblehead or Sims are ships i would advise someone to buy at the moment.

Sorry Rusty. You will have to wait for a supercontainer ...

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
496 posts
2,284 battles
13 hours ago, The_Pillager said:

You will have to wait for a supercontainer ...

I am getting that feeling :)

And better make that 'several' SC's because my last one had a Leningrad... I must have used up all my stores of luck (and more) on getting that :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
1,012 posts
7,440 battles

Ah no, dont abandon all hope ... its pure RNG :Smile_great:

Last X-mas I got 2 ships out of 5 container and the year before 0 out of 10 ... just a lottery :Smile_smile: