Sign in to follow this  
DrMechano

Having trouble with the Nagato

45 comments in this topic

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

I know it's not the ship, it's me but I just can't seem to either A) Win a game in it (currently on a massive 15 loss streak with it) and B) I feel like the shells are just too floaty, I know that's the Japanese thing with their "diving shells" but it seriously seems like I'm just plinking away at people. You guys got any tips?

[GURKA]
Players
2,367 posts
6,775 battles
14 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

I know it's not the ship, it's me but I just can't seem to either A) Win a game in it (currently on a massive 15 loss streak with it) and B) I feel like the shells are just too floaty, I know that's the Japanese thing with their "diving shells" but it seriously seems like I'm just plinking away at people. You guys got any tips?

Train more? It's all about that. You need to learn how to aim with that ship, how to position. Also I can't really give a specific advice, since I don't really know the issue. It's a while ago, when I played that ship, but the most important thing was always: never show broadside xD

But could try to give some more tips, if they are not already obvious for you

A) Move with your team, don't go alone, don't show broadside, that means think about the enemy movement, and think where you want go. I often made a plan before the game starts. My movement was always Zick zacking, where the turning points where behind island (but that was ranked games, less enemies)tac.thumb.png.4f81eb9beb0f986af32655867a870455.png

That's more a general tactic

B) Get used to it, Nagato shells hurt a lot. Another tipp: Use spotter plane against smoked crusier, aim between the gun fire and give them a citadell :)

No idea if that helped

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

I think you're confusing something you read about history with in-game characteristics. "Diving shells" doesn't mean shells that come down at a steep angle, and in any case IJN guns are not known for having especially floaty shell behaviour. If you feel like you're "plinking" you're probably just shooting at excessive range.

Nagato is all about the guns. You've got the biggest, hardest hitting and most accurate guns at T7. Learn to aim them... that's basically it. @Pikkozoikum covered general tactics and positioning well, there's nothing special to do here as Nagato is neither super fast or super slow. Stay at medium range (12-15km), stay safe, keep an eye out for people making themselves easy targets.

There are no quirks or tricks to Nagato, just a solid all-round BB with great guns. Practice good gunnery and you will be rewarded.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles

@DrMechano

Do you maybe have replays enabled?

If not: here's how you can do it: https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19060/

It's easier to say what you might be doing right / wrong if we see a game (or a few) from you.

Similarly could you show give us screenshots of the modules you use and captain skills? They may (and do) have a lot of impact on the game.

Other than that, your biggest problem right now would be simple lack of experience due to you being relatively new to the game. You are already doing good, your Nagatos stats (apart from the WR dropping due to the losing streak) are average to above average. Good main battery hitrate aswell.

One thing I do notice is your rather low survivability rate + high secondary hitrate. That leads to me thinking you might be playing a little bit too aggressively (as in the example with you & Izumo where you were unable to escape), aswell as that you might be running a secondary based build? Japanese secondaries aren't particularly great, apart from some troll build I wouldn't invest in them :cap_like:

As for the exact situation (going from your description) - I would have taken the risk for the Izumo to get 1 broadside shot on me while I'm turning away as 1) he can overmatch your bow making angling more or less irrelevant and 2) pushing a BB into a DD rarely ends well for the BB :Smile_teethhappy:

You could probably have tried to time the turn to start right as he shoots, so you might already be somewhat angled for his next salvo. Also smaller erratic turns (moving in a wavy pattern - as if you were drunk) while you are changing your speed can help to drop off the enemies aim (especially torpedoes)

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

Nagato is still a BB, you will get occasional derpy dispersion shots but it's a matter of perception. You don't really have much experience for comparison, but if you want to see truly dire accuracy on main guns try the German BBs.

As for that game, you probably went a bit too aggressive. I'm not suggesting you should camp, but you were bottom tier so you should have been a bit more cautious and waited for that situation to develop, Izumo is hardly stealthy and inside a cap is no place for a BB most of the time anyway. If you had the DD advantage there was no need to commit hard like that, just position to support and play it out. Flank the Izumo, force him to choose between you and the other Nagato to angle against, and start looking to kite if it goes south.

You can get very close to support a cap but you need to have a way out and plan it a few minutes before you get into a position where it's impossible. It's just thinking a few steps ahead that comes with experience.

And, unfortunately, you relied on your team-mates. There's a fine line between playing with your team and over-relying on them. Don't make what you want to do depend on a random other person's actions.

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

Sorry for the edit deleting that description, figured it might just be me being salty, which doesn't help me improve. I've uploaded a replay though (a 96k loss) for you guys to look at and I will upload another game in a bit to give you a more average sample (think that one was an outlier).

Currently working my way up to afford all the modules so I've only got Aiming systems and main battery installed on it at the moment. As for Captain skills I have Preventative Maintenance,  Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent and Basic of Survivablity on my 11 point captain.

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
54 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

I've attached a replay of another game, (another loss), seeing if you guys could give me pointers.

20180731_130412_PJSB010-Nagato-1944_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

1. Please invest in camo. Especially if you didn't take CE as skill.
  2. What is your captain build? That concealment is atrocious.
  3. You seem generally hesitant to fire your guns. You did not open fire until about 4 minutes passed, you took your sweet time shooting at the Yorck (I'll take it you only then realised that you hadn't AP loaded) and you also did only fire one salvo at the almost dead Lyon, instead of shooting both front turrets to make sure it was dead. And in all these cases, you had targets you could fire at. Especially the broadside stationary Yorck should need far less aiming.
  4. Look at the minimap more. Before you fired your first shots at the Yorck, there were opportunities to shoot at the Lyon and the Kirov. These shots were not taken. Especially the Kirov could have been potentially killed right there, getting some influence already from the very start.
  5. You generally aim too high. Aim for the waterline more. If the belt of the enemy isn't autobounce angle, these guns go through. You don't have to shy away from belts and you get far too many superstructure hits or overshoot the target if you aim that high.
  6. Back to 4., be aware of the flow of battle. Sure, you killed that Lyon, but it would've likely been far more important to turn your guns around and shoot the Atlanta and Kamikaze in the centre of the map at B, than to try get damage on an angled Lyon that is rapidly leaving the combat zone. Dunno what your KGV was doing there (you could've looked), but maybe he could've survived? 
  7. That standoff at the end was going to be hard and you kind of were too aggressive, imo. Against the enemy KGV, you showed a lot of broadside and if I were you, I'd have slammed the breaks, because potentially, they could go for the ram. Similarly, charging right at a Scharnhorst is not a great idea. Scharnhorst has torps. Thankfully he's likely new to the ship and has no idea how to use them, but that Scharnhorst could've ended you right there. The best idea, imo, would've been to turn around after the Scharnhorst fired, while it was apparant that the Fuso had HE loaded. Kite the Scharnhorst to death (shoot AP through nose), then deal with Fuso. Risky, as you risk getting a heavy AP salvo from the Scharnhorst in the process, but less risky than going into torp range. And that last finishing blow from the Fuso was entirely predictable. I don't know why you decided to stop angling.

Also, this was pretty much one of the best MM you could've asked for, with noone able to overmatch your bow.

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles
13 minutes ago, Riselotte said:
  1. Please invest in camo. Especially if you didn't take CE as skill.
  2. What is your captain build? That concealment is atrocious.
  3. You seem generally hesitant to fire your guns. You did not open fire until about 4 minutes passed, you took your sweet time shooting at the Yorck (I'll take it you only then realised that you hadn't AP loaded) and you also did only fire one salvo at the almost dead Lyon, instead of shooting both front turrets to make sure it was dead. And in all these cases, you had targets you could fire at. Especially the broadside stationary Yorck should need far less aiming.
  4. Look at the minimap more. Before you fired your first shots at the Yorck, there were opportunities to shoot at the Lyon and the Kirov. These shots were not taken. Especially the Kirov could have been potentially killed right there, getting some influence already from the very start.
  5. You generally aim too high. Aim for the waterline more. If the belt of the enemy isn't autobounce angle, these guns go through. You don't have to shy away from belts and you get far too many superstructure hits or overshoot the target if you aim that high.
  6. Back to 4., be aware of the flow of battle. Sure, you killed that Lyon, but it would've likely been far more important to turn your guns around and shoot the Atlanta and Kamikaze in the centre of the map at B, than to try get damage on an angled Lyon that is rapidly leaving the combat zone. Dunno what your KGV was doing there (you could've looked), but maybe he could've survived? 
  7. That standoff at the end was going to be hard and you kind of were too aggressive, imo. Against the enemy KGV, you showed a lot of broadside and if I were you, I'd have slammed the breaks, because potentially, they could go for the ram. Similarly, charging right at a Scharnhorst is not a great idea. Scharnhorst has torps. Thankfully he's likely new to the ship and has no idea how to use them, but that Scharnhorst could've ended you right there. The best idea, imo, would've been to turn around after the Scharnhorst fired, while it was apparant that the Fuso had HE loaded. Kite the Scharnhorst to death (shoot AP through nose), then deal with Fuso. Risky, as you risk getting a heavy AP salvo from the Scharnhorst in the process, but less risky than going into torp range. And that last finishing blow from the Fuso was entirely predictable. I don't know why you decided to stop angling.

Also, this was pretty much one of the best MM you could've asked for, with noone able to overmatch your bow.

With the Camo thing, I clicked the battle button too fast, previously had the shark camo equipped and forgot to switch back over to regular camo, noticed that when I first started the match. As mentioned previously my captain build is Preventative Maintenance,  Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent and Basic of Survivablity on my 11 point captain. As for the waterline aiming, yeah I know...trouble is I've had situation where I've aimed too low and it's gone in the water which I think is what is causing a mental block but I definitely need to work on my aiming. As for the rest, all things I definitely need to improve on, I think my personal situational awareness is definitely something I need to improve.

I'm guessing it's coming from World of Tanks to World of Warships, WoT is a much more upwardly aggressive game, pushing into areas due to the faster nature of combat.

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
2 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

With the Camo thing, I clicked the battle button too fast, previously had the shark camo equipped and forgot to switch back over to regular camo, noticed that when I first started the match. As mentioned previously my captain build is Preventative Maintenance,  Expert Marksmen, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent and Basic of Survivablity on my 11 point captain. As for the waterline aiming, yeah I know...trouble is I've had situation where I've aimed too low and it's gone in the water which I think is what is causing a mental block but I definitely need to work on my aiming. As for the rest, all things I definitely need to improve on, I think my personal situational awareness is definitely something I need to improve.

Usually go for high point skills first, low point skills later, as points get exceedingly more expensive exp-wise. So CE or FP are far better getting early on, then get the rest to improve on that. Overall, skills are decent, if you can live with being spotted from the moon. Obviously, Fault Line is a map that is easy in that regard, because too many islands obstruct vision and shots.

Then get a mental block against overshooting now and aim for the waterline as you should.

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

Ok switched over to have Preventative Maintenance,  Expert Marksmen, Superintendent and Concealment Expert. Think that might help.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles
2 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

Ok switched over to have Preventative Maintenance,  Expert Marksmen, Superintendent and Concealment Expert. Think that might help.

That's what I consider core BB 10-point. CE will help you position and reposition, make decisions between shots if it's worth staying hidden or not.

Your previous build was solid, I would definitely take AR and BoS back by 15 points. Or FP if you're that way inclined, I don't use it.

I didn't watch the replay but others raised good points about map awareness and target selection. Just be aware there is also a time to not shoot, especially if your target looks like they might show more broadside, or if you need to go dark and get away.

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
16 minutes ago, VC381 said:

That's what I consider core BB 10-point. CE will help you position and reposition, make decisions between shots if it's worth staying hidden or not.

Your previous build was solid, I would definitely take AR and BoS back by 15 points. Or FP if you're that way inclined, I don't use it.

I didn't watch the replay but others raised good points about map awareness and target selection. Just be aware there is also a time to not shoot, especially if your target looks like they might show more broadside, or if you need to go dark and get away.

Shots at start were near perfect broadside Lyon and slightly angled Kirov that was unlikely to turn, though you can citadel that ship from the front and any hit is going to chunk out large amounts of hp.

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

Well thanks to your advice, despite continued losses, my damage has begun to creep up, had multiple 60k plus games including my first ever deletion of a Cruiser with 3 citadel hits at once. I feel like, team wise, the ship might be a tad cursed...had that in World of Tanks, would do really well in a vehicle, better than average damage, kills and the like but still have massive loss streaks.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles
6 hours ago, DrMechano said:

I've attached a replay of another game, (another loss), seeing if you guys could give me pointers.

20180731_130412_PJSB010-Nagato-1944_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Allright, can work with this (also this is not going to be short :Smile_teethhappy:)

Right away 2 things I see before the battle even starts:

• Concealment. 17.1km is terrible.
    • Get a camo, if you don't want to run anything fancier at least run the most basic Type 1 (-3% detectability) camo for... was it 7.5k credits? You should never play without it.
    • Next up - you have a 10pt captain, you should have Concealment Expert skill on it. It's a very strong tool to use in your favor. At tiers 8+ you will also get the ability to slot a concealment module. That helps even more (and it is the choice you should go for in that slot)
      • Summed up those would give your Nagato concealment of 14.3km. Much better - easier to disengage, easier to get closer for accurate shots and so on
  • Consumables. Extra charge is nice, but what you want is that 1/3 shorter cooldown
    • Repair and Heal - both of these you want to reduce the cooldown. It's absolutely worth it to take the "premium" version of these (each costs something like 22 500 credits per game) but since you will survive more & live longer you'll end up doing more, winning more and earning more. You're shooting yourself in the leg by running those 2 as "normal"
    • Aircraft - as you want, this is the one where premium / not premium matters less. In ranked (if you will play that) you should run premium just in case, in randoms - doesn't matter
      • Spotter Aircraft is always a better choice than Fighter, so that you have chosen correctly. And it's not the extra range that you want - it's actually the elevated view. With that you can comfortably shoot and hit invisible targets behind some islands and inside smokescreens, just as a basic example

You seem to go in straight lines a lot. A little bit of a wiggle helps with survivability, but then again it might have just been the case of no torpboat in immediate vicinity which prompted you to "ease up" on the dodging part

Bit of a tunnel vision - that Lyon was running away being generally useless, instead of pursuing him you should have went into the B cap to support your team there. You pretty much ignored the enemies who were killing your team while chasing someone who posed basically no threat

Subpoint of that - you were focusing on BBs a lot. Then again, that might have been just a case of circumstance. In general you should focus DDs and CAs before BBs, unless that BB is direct danger that you need to get rid of

At the end vs Scharnhorst and Fuso you could actually have dictated the fight in your favor, as you had the advantage in both - armour and firepower - over those 2. You charging into them, and then giving them a broadside, leveled the playing field, if not completely tipped it in their favor. But this all comes down to experience & what ship does what.

• Torpedoes - Scharn has them. There are very few BBs who have torps, it's worth remembering them all (Mutsu, Kii, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Tirpitz). Pushing into him you let him to go on a torpedo strike on you (which he royally screwed up there :Smile_teethhappy:)
  • Armour (and firepower) - while technically you all have very similar armour (mainly the 25mm bow / stern) you are at an armour advantage because of your & their gun calibers
    • Nagato has 410mm, that overmatches 28mm - basically your AP goes through their angled bows like a hot knife through butter
    • Fuso has 356mm (overmatches 24mm) and Scharn has 283mm (overmatches 19mm) - both of which you can bounce
      • What that means is that you can always AP them regardless of angle, while they would have to use HE, otherwise they will just bounce on your angled ship

This might have been a replay bug - but your close range aiming (on the Scharn) seemed like you were always aiming too far back. Even at those short ranges in those couple seconds that your shell will fly the ship is going to move a lot, but this is just a matter of practice

Single fire on your ship - it's not a threat. Don't put 1 fire out unless you really have to (like if you have no HP) or there really is no way you'll be set on fire again. Fire damage is 100% repairable, and a single heal can out-heal a fire if you have even a little bit of fire duration reduction (upgrade / skill / signal)

I want to do a bit more of a breakdown on the last 2v3 fight there (since that's when everything went south, up to that the game was equal for both teams), some "I would have been doing this differently" commentary (of course with some "in hindsight" taste added to it)

Right after Fiji died you could see the KGV coming out of the island in front of you. You can also see Mahan shooting the KGV, so that BB is going to be sweating bullets at that point. Instead of turning into him I would have gone straight out, starting to turn away before I can even shoot him, This way You could fire all 8 of your guns into him while being angled yourself for his return shot. Scharn has revealed his position, so you know where all 3 enemies are

Skipping over the "Mahan gets unlucky, KGV gets killed" part (I will divide this into 2 part -> one following the path you took, one following the path I just mentioned)

Your route:

Situation -> Neither of them can overmatch your bow. Both are bow on, you can overmatch both. Scharn is firng AP, Fusos firing HE.

As long as Scharn is shooting AP you can just angle yourself against him and you are fine. Fuso is either smart, or got lucky, regardless of which - he's the actual threat to you at this point.

Where to go?

• Push into them - bad choice. Scharns torps will be dangerous, there's danger of them ramming you, you will have to end up giving long time broadside to at least one, if not both of them
  • Stay where you are - similar choice to pushing. KGVs wreck going down quick, so it won't provide any torp protection. You have more time with similar outcome
  • Reversing away - gives you even more time. Probelm is that Scharn is fast. You might be able to severely damage / kill the Fuso before Scharn catches up to you
  • Turning to kite
    • To the left - you already have guns ready for this turn, but it would be a long one, especially you have to move around the KGVs wreck
    • To the right - I think this would have been the best scenario (img A)
      • This puts the island between you and Fuso in front of his guns - you have a longer time while he can't shoot you with anything more than his forward batteries
      • Scharn shooting AP into your broadside could be a problem but you're screwed either way, got to take the chance and hope he gets trash RNG on those shots
      • Your rear turrets wouldn't be on target much later than if you turned to the left, as you are turning not only turrets themselves, but the ship aswell
      • Points show that you still have the time to kill them
      • While kiting you can wiggle to shoot all your guns and receive returning shots while angled (img B)

Would this be a win? Rather unlikely, but plausible

A:

zBFJLC9.jpg

B:

jFuwHeD.png

If you had turned away before / while killing KGV

Situation -> Neither of them can overmatch your stern. Both are bow on, you can overmatch both. Scharn is firng AP, Fusos firing HE. You are kiting.

As long as Scharn is shooting AP you can just angle yourself against him and you are fine. Fuso is either smart, or got lucky, regardless of which - he's the actual threat to you at this point. You can kite them returning much more efficient fire on them than they can get on you. Scharns torps are not a problem, as you already are moving away. Kite in the same style as the img B above. The only limitation you have - how lucky your RNG is and how much time you have. While time's technically enough, killing 2 full HP BBs wouldn't be an easy task.

Could it be won? Probably not, but more likely

In fact, here's a 3rd option:

You didn't chase Lyon, instead you entered B with your team to defend against Kamikaze and Lolanta. As long as you don't get nuked by Kami this way you could have had some extra teammates surviving, this would be the case where, in my opinion, win was most likely to occur.

Since this isn't a short post anyway here's what I run on my IJN BBs (this one is Amagi)

Captain (the number next to the skill is at how many points I took it)

R2Cp5SC.jpg

Upgrades:

TDW113v.jpg

Consumables:

UgD7tF3.jpg

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles

Forgot to add -> overmatch = gun caliber divided by 14.3 and then just take full mm

2 Examples:

• Conqueror 457mm guns
    • 457 / 14.3 = 31.958.... 31mm overmatch
  • Yamato 460mm guns
    • 460 / 14.3 = 32.168..... 32mm overmatch

What overmatch does is make your shells go through the armour plate no matter what is the angle.

Using the same 2 examples above - tier 8+ BBs have 32mm bow / stern armour

• Conq with 457s shoots AP at this kind of a bow. He can't overmatch, so a) he has to be at a shallow enough angle (below 60° away from perpendicular) so that he doesn't bounce, and then he has to pen the armour
  • Now Yamato with her 460s shoots the same target. She overmatches those 32mm, so regardless of angle her shells are going through

Overmatch is a rather important part of BB gameplay, especially at mid tiers. The general armour plating is tier locked, so it's very easy to learn what BBs will have how thick bows. With gun calibers there is a little more memorizing, but that comes simply with game experience

If I remember correctly it was explained here rather decently:

I do recommend watching all of the "how it works" episodes :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

I know you say run premium consumeables but considering I keep losing, I am running at a loss, I don't run a premium account either so it massively reduces my income. As helpful as they are I'm probably going to have to switch back to the regular ones.

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:
  • Torpedoes - Scharn has them. There are very few BBs who have torps, it's worth remembering them all (Mutsu, Kii, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau). Pushing into him you let him to go on a torpedo strike on you (which he royally screwed up there :Smile_teethhappy:)

You forgot the most notorious and famous offender actually - Tirpitz.

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles
6 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

You forgot the most notorious and famous offender actually - Tirpitz.

I knew I've skipped one :Smile_teethhappy: (going to add it in now)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles
11 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

I know you say run premium consumeables but considering I keep losing, I am running at a loss, I don't run a premium account either so it massively reduces my income. As helpful as they are I'm probably going to have to switch back to the regular ones.

You see, the "funny" (and somewhat counter-intuitive) thing is - you are losing more because you are not running them premium.

You want the heal now, not after another 40 seconds, you want to put that flooding out right now, instead of letting it go through full duration. As I said - repair and heal you always want premium. Plane is more irrelevant.

By surviving you can deal more damage, contribute more, win more. All of those in return will get you better credits income. Makes a lot of difference

I don't remember the post where I first showed this, and I'm sure I don't have the graphs / images saved anywhere on my PC, but basically using your 5 "premium" heals back to back on cooldown it would take you something like 10-ish seconds less time than to use 4 non-premium heals.

For your Nagato that would be a difference of up to 9.6k HP in the exact same timeframe. That right there can change a lot

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
11 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

You see, the "funny" (and somewhat counter-intuitive) thing is - you are losing more because you are not running them premium.

You want the heal now, not after another 40 seconds, you want to put that flooding out right now, instead of letting it go through full duration. As I said - repair and heal you always want premium. Plane is more irrelevant.

By surviving you can deal more damage, contribute more, win more. All of those in return will get you better credits income. Makes a lot of difference

I don't remember the post where I first showed this, and I'm sure I don't have the graphs / images saved anywhere on my PC, but basically using your 5 "premium" heals back to back on cooldown it would take you something like 10-ish seconds less time than to use 4 non-premium heals.

For your Nagato that would be a difference of up to 9.6k HP in the exact same timeframe. That right there can change a lot

I pretty much agree with this. I'd go as far as to say, if premium consumables become unaffordable at T7, you should work on getting better. additionally, I didn't look too closely at your signals, but you should use the signals for improved repair party and fire duration reduction. Both help immensely and the conditions for getting them are way more easily achieved by having them. One Dreadnought achievement a day pretty much provides enough signals for 10 games and isn't hard to get once in 10 games with BBs.

One thing I disagree with is that 9.6k hp could've made a difference, given I'm pretty sure that'd just have been 9.6k more hp the Fuso chunked out at the end, with some cits. Or it would need one more salvo from either of the two. It definitely is a great advantage, but obviously doesn't help if you throw away your hp anyway.

• Cool 1

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

In the end decided to try a different BB line, though your guys advice has massively helped, currently in the New Mex (yes she's an AA build, so yes the concealment is basically non-existent but I don't care) and so far I'm doing alright in her (even if she was incredibly painful stock) so here's a replay you might like and to see what you would improve on a battle I'm winning in since still need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Oh and turn your sound off, there is a LOT of automated message spam in the first 3-4 minutes.

20180802_234913_PASB034-New-Mexico-1941_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles
35 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

so here's a replay you might like and to see what you would improve on a battle I'm winning in since still need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Oh and turn your sound off, there is a LOT of automated message spam in the first 3-4 minutes.

Nice, pretty impressive actually :cap_like:

That definitely was well played, the only - is "gripe" the correct word here? - I saw is that your repair and heal weren't premium :fish_viking:

Liked the wiggling, you always were together with your allies and in a beneficial position, to get to allied ships enemies first had to get past you while you always had solid escape possibilities. Aim was excellent (didn't even expect that NewMex deletion there, that was a lmao moment). Nicely done!

Oh, yeah, even with an AA build (ran that on my US BBs too) I still recommend using Concealment, it's always nice to be a bit less visible :Smile_teethhappy:

[POI--]
Players
4,316 posts
5,395 battles
35 minutes ago, DrMechano said:

In the end decided to try a different BB line, though your guys advice has massively helped, currently in the New Mex (yes she's an AA build, so yes the concealment is basically non-existent but I don't care) and so far I'm doing alright in her (even if she was incredibly painful stock) so here's a replay you might like and to see what you would improve on a battle I'm winning in since still need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Overall, seems like a solid match (doubt that's average though), but I'll give some pointers still. Generally, I'd say, you had a good bit of luck with a terrible enemy team that was dumber than your own. also, a bit of luck.

1. I'd not have moved that far Northeast, rather stayed at 7 line at most. There is a concern the Nicholas might come for you, but it's a US dD, there's an Aigle around and west of 7 line you can shoot over the centre island at the enemies in the South. NM and most USN BBs are slow. You never want to be in a situation like you were then, with one or two long range targets that might just give overpens, especially with a Nagato and New York chasing them too already. I'd just trust the Nagato to deal with it and support the folks horrendously outnumbered in the South.
  2. Your first salvo at Emile Bertin was aimed too low. I saw that due to experience already, but if you want to check to be sure, since last update, we now have a circle on the map as to where we are aiming. It is clear that it is not where the Emile is steaming to. you can use that circle for shooting at targets you cannot see properly behind cover.
  3. The shots at the nose-in New Mex were a complete waste of time. New Mexico cannot overmatch its own bow. Better shoot at Nürnberg a few kilometres besides it.Or hold the salvo until the New Mexico turns.
  4. Loading HE why? The DD can be killed with AP and likely was going to die to that salvo. Even if no ally had chipped out all the hp before your salvo landed, that looked like it'd be at least one penetration and for sure a dead DD. And that would basically be the only reason to shoot HE in this match with all the broadside idiots, though even then seems like a waste of time. You can see at how much damage you did to the NO, how crap the HE is.
  5. Overall, the match shows hopefully pretty clearly why to angle the ship.

That's pretty much it. Also, you still lack premium repair party and premium damage control. Congrats on Kraken and good job moving inbetween at the end.

[501L]
Players
122 posts
2,730 battles

To be fair it definitely ISN'T an average but I am rocking a decent average damage in the ship of 41k, bit of a crappy win rate but its started to climb back up now the ship isn't stock.

Sign in to follow this