You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

Ocean

88 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
747 posts
2,918 battles

I thought this "map" was removed for good a long time ago, but i just got it twice today in just a few matches.

Why has this stupid so called "map" not been removed yet? It only works for one ship class,  it spits in the face of cruisers and its bland as water, which coincidentally, is all its made up of.

Yes, this is a rant, but i cant believe that there is a single person on this forum who thinks that this is a good "map", if you do, please do speak up. If not, why the ever-living taco bread is it still in the map rotation? 

//rant over, please remove this sheet of H2O from the map rotation.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 14
  • Angry 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I like Ocean. Most realistic map.

It's, perhaps surprisingly, more dynamic than most other maps, because there aren't islands to camp behind. And it provides a significantly different style of gameplay for the same reason. I say this as someone who's played all types of ships on it, on various tiers since it's been shuffled around a bit, and I've never found it boring.

I also think it shows, at least to me, that the ships that are the most fun to play are the ones not geared towards camping behind islands, but for fighting on open waters. You know, like real warships were.

• Cool 21
  • Bad 1

Players
1,559 posts
13,419 battles

Some players still like to play on the devs map-template. Fine for me as long its rare.

But you cant call it a map. 

20 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Perfect fit for a realistic game. Oh, wait..........

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[POP]
Players
342 posts
7,976 battles

Had Ocean twice while bobbing around in my Asashio. Oh boy

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CN_]
Beta Tester
158 posts
9,921 battles

This is a map resulted from player complaints about unrealistic maps.(Real battles where fought on Oceans)

Since players got it they where unhappy with their fulfilled wish. WG rolled their eyes at these crybabies and reduced the probability of this map to appear in rotation. (They also improved the island graphics several times)

This Map still existing is WGs way to say be careful what you wish for. This Map is the answer to all complaints about unfair spawns and map advantages. Also it's quite fun to play once in a while and forces you to adapt your playstyle and learn more about your ship.

ThisMap ain't stupid. It's the perfect historical balanced map we always wished for. (Yes we the players wished for it so stop complaining) 

• Cool 2

[TEA]
Players
955 posts
4,253 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

I thought this "map" was removed for good a long time ago, but i just got it twice today in just a few matches.

Why has this stupid so called "map" not been removed yet? It only works for one ship class,  it spits in the face of cruisers and its bland as water, which coincidentally, is all its made up of.

Yes, this is a rant, but i cant believe that there is a single person on this forum who thinks that this is a good "map", if you do, please do speak up. If not, why the ever-living taco bread is it still in the map rotation? 

//rant over, please remove this sheet of H2O from the map rotation.

Most battles in RL, were done at sea and not hiding behind silly little islands. We should have more open ocean maps.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[BNBS]
Players
376 posts
11 minutes ago, HMS_Argosax said:

Most battles in RL, were done at sea and not hiding behind silly little islands. We should have more open ocean maps.

You mean like ones with different colour water?  How much variety of ocean do you think is needed?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
3,944 posts
14,376 battles
2 hours ago, thiextar said:

but i cant believe that there is a single person on this forum who thinks that this is a good "map"

Not only it's a "good" map. It's the BESTEST map and the only one, that should be available to all tiers in different sizes, as it shows the battlefield that was used for most naval battles. Water. Lots of it. No bushes islands to hide behind.

I love this map. I enjoyed each and every single time I played on it. I want it to be the only map for Epeencenter Battlemode. Seriously...

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[YEEET]
Players
1,206 posts
11,644 battles

I like it - though in the past I did get it when in the Tier 3 St Louis - not a good map as the St Louis is VERY slow and you spend all your time chasing the action. Not had it for a long time though.

[-AP-]
Players
747 posts
2,918 battles

Biggest argument for the map seems to be history, i couldnt give less of a rats [edited]about history, this is an arcade game, and gameplay should always come first, history should only be a vague guideline for looks and feels

• Cool 1
  • Bad 7

Beta Tester
1,907 posts
6,246 battles

I wish i'd get this map more often, it's a blast to play in every ship (exept Mikasa, Katori :Smile_teethhappy:

But last time i had this map was over a year ago :Smile_sad:

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,324 posts
12,378 battles

Should be a mandatory map for any cruiser captain because it requires you to learn how to position properly, how to dodge a EDIT of incomming salvos and how you might even need to go silent in between shots.

Edited by Kampa1987
Vulgarism
  • Cool 9

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

Ocean was never removed, it's just moved to tier 10 games with a rather small chance to get it.

Spoiler

"But I was playing tier 8 / 9 not 10!" - was there a there 10 ship in the game? Yes? Then it's a t10 game.

And yes, it still is the worst map in the game

• Boring 3

[HNFC]
Players
89 posts
8,787 battles

A forum post from the U.S. server:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/165997-the-ocean-poll/

According to over 50% of over 200 players answering to the poll, they would like to see the map come up more often than it is. And only 25% of them want to see even less of it than it currently shows up. 

I personally only play t8-9-10 battles. And haven't seen Ocean for the last 2-3 weeks. But I'd love to see it more.

If only the map chance probabilities would be exchanged with Shatter... :cap_money:

• Cool 4

Players
2,160 posts

I've had Ocean 3 times in the last 2 weeks, I quite like it.

That said if people camp at max range like any open water map it's a disaster and it's a complete nightmare for cruisers who get annihilated by BB guns.

[NSR]
Players
84 posts
5,256 battles

Its a great map... IF... the team as a unit know how to play it. If you get a bunch or random players that just sit by the computer and drule all over the keyboard hammering away at it.... its a bloody nightmare. And getting that map in a cleveland now... I just laugh and quit and swap to a different ship.

• Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Players
2,160 posts
13 minutes ago, DBoZ_Skyline said:

Its a great map... IF... the team as a unit know how to play it. If you get a bunch or random players that just sit by the computer and drule all over the keyboard hammering away at it.... its a bloody nightmare. And getting that map in a cleveland now... I just laugh and quit and swap to a different ship.

I hope you don't do that as it's against the rules.

Even on a map that totally sucks for your ship you should always play as well as you can, it's a team game and treating your 11 teammates to you bailing to port is not on, ever.

• Cool 6

[SHEN]
Players
1,345 posts
11,441 battles
6 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

No I mean we need more open water maps, I really hate islands its boring

Typical BB player spotted. 

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[RAIN]
Players
105 posts
9,962 battles
12 hours ago, AnotherDuck said:

It's, perhaps surprisingly, more dynamic than most other maps, because there aren't islands to camp behind. And it provides a significantly different style of gameplay for the same reason. I say this as someone who's played all types of ships on it, on various tiers since it's been shuffled around a bit, and I've never found it boring.

I also think it shows, at least to me, that the ships that are the most fun to play are the ones not geared towards camping behind islands, but for fighting on open waters. You know, like real warships were.

Same here, I never had any troubles with this map. I like it!

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,230 posts
6,768 battles

People saying using islands isn't fair or something clearly don't play cruisers.

Try playing Mogami, Cleveland, Worcester or Des Moines in this map and come back telling me again how fun it is to be utterly unable to play.

This map caters to BB players, long range HE spammer and stealth torpedo DD. Everything else is literally unplayable. Even CV have a hard time on it as both team are usually moving in a single, big pack.

It's a good map for half the ship of the game, while the other just run for their lives and try desperately to be somewhat useful or at least to have some kind of fun.

Like it or not, who cares, but islands are a very important part of the game. It's the island that creates the whole dynamic of a map, and knowing the good spots, the line-of-sight between them, and the good, usable covers is part of what makes a good player a good player. Some ships are designed to use covers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2