You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bunnytob

Smoke spotting mechanics

16 comments in this topic

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

So I recently got into an argument with someone  about how the "spotting range when firing in smoke" mechanic works.

To cut the point short, he says that it's your spotting range for a ship INSIDE OF SMOKE to spot YOU, while I say its the other way around.

Anyway, who's right?

N.B: AFAIK, I'm no accusing this guy of anything,

Ad Hominem at its finest.wowsreplay

Beta Tester
271 posts
3,337 battles
2 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

So I recently got into an argument with someone  about how the "spotting range when firing in smoke" mechanic works.

To cut the point short, he says that it's your spotting range for a ship INSIDE OF SMOKE to spot YOU, while I say its the other way around.

Anyway, who's right?

Go to a trainingroom and show him, waste of forum space.

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles
2 minutes ago, PapVogele said:

Go to a trainingroom and show him

...You think that's feasible?

Beta Tester
271 posts
3,337 battles
Just now, Bunnytob said:

...You think that's feasible?

You both take a DD, one smokes up and you test it ;)

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

With a person like him? Try checking his language in the replay.

It's like this:

Yeah....png.14a88bd0a853ddfb92a9a637003a63f5.png

[CATS]
Players
13,528 posts
10,352 battles
9 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

Anyway, who's right?

It applies to anybody whos line of sight is blocked by smoke, no matter if inside or outside.

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

So if my detection when firing guns in smoke is 10km, a ship in smoke could spot me at 10km?

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

I've never seen that until now, but if it's true that's what I conceded might be right being right. What about the vice versa?

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
7 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

I've never seen that until now, but if it's true that's what I conceded might be right being right. What about the vice versa?

If you are undetected and get close to a smokescreen and you are within the smoked up ships smoke detection range that ship will get spotted but you will remain unspotted. And if you then open fire you can both see each other for the 20 sec detection penalty, until one decides to stop shooting or you get within the 2 km auto detect range. 

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
604 posts
5,887 battles
10 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

It works both ways ( and IMHO is idiotic).  If your  ship has a 10kms of spotting inside smoke after firing, if you are 9.99kms from the ship inside the smoke, he will spot you,  if he has the same ship and fire, you will spot him. Why is idiotic? Because a ship inside the smoke should not be able to spot for himself

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

So if I was in a Bismarck (15km firing from smoke) in open waters with a DD in a smokescreen (Let's say a Shiratsuyu) 5km away and no other ships or planes in the match alive, and I blind-fired into the smoke, I would be spotted?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,507 posts
6,365 battles
35 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

Anyway, who's right?

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
604 posts
5,887 battles
Just now, Bunnytob said:

So if I was in a Bismarck (15km firing from smoke) in open waters with a DD in a smokescreen (Let's say a Shiratsuyu) 5km away and no other ships or planes in the match alive, and I blind-fired into the smoke, I would be spotted?

Yes, and this is the reason why, in situations  like this , you should fire only when you are sure that ypu will kill him or you have hidro to see torps, or he will have 20 secs to torp you

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,576 posts
8,689 battles
1 minute ago, Bunnytob said:

Yes you will be spoted.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#Smoke

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,038 battles

And if I was in that smoke (somehow) I would be spotted. That's fact. Which, unless I can't memory, makes us both wrong.