justin129

Sneaky Destroyer

17 comments in this topic

[TAW1]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,050 battles

Hello there, I am quite a new player (Top non prem is Nagato) and I have a question about destroyers.

I would like to try a complete different playstyle and I'd like to play something like a destroyer remaining on its torp. Mostly just torp somewhere and stay hidden most of the time. Little bit like a thief of RPG. Now I am wondering what line should I play for that, firstly I thought IJN due her high range torps and good concealment but then I read about the torps having quite a large spotting range. I also read that the germans have more or less the most hidden torps which obviously would fit my playstyle. And after that I realized that Pan-Asia has Deepwatertorps which shall have the lowest detection range.

Now I am asking which Line would fit my idea the most? I really do not care about how competetive some Nations are, I just wanna have fun with my paticular playstyle.

Greetings!

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,572 posts
6,401 battles

IJN fits the description best, bbut as you yourself mentioned - those DDs tend not to be the best ones. At least not past tier 5

Pan-Asia is the next closest, and that might be one of if not the strongest DD lines right now

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles

PA line has most hidden torps but If you chose them keep in mind that in knife fights with other DDs that most of the times happens under 5km you have only your guns but they have torps too !!!

Players
3,455 posts
7,229 battles

I'd say your best bet is play them all up to T4 and get a decent number of games at each tier (say 25) so you understand what they can do and what you should be doing with them.

[TAW1]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,050 battles

Thank you very much for all those recommandations and so on, will try Pan Asia for sure! :)

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

Ijn main line was my first line in the game.
Went up to tier 8.All great ships except the, at the time tier 7, hatsuharu.
IJN line on tier 10 has one of the best destroyers named Shimakaze, with 3 torp setups.
20km torps which totally suck.

12km torps
8km torps with super speed and low concealement.

The US dd line which is currently my favorite is pure gunboat up to tier 8.Although on tier 8 you can also stealth torp.
Tier 9 and 10 these dds can be played as hybrids being both able to stealth torp and use guns.These torps also have a good speed and fast reload.
Before radar my personal preference was for the guanboat builds.
Now with that shitloat of radars per match i play them more as torp boats.
Especially the tier9 us fletcher was an absolute beast and all time favorite.

I will not commend on the PA and german lines because i m still at tier 5 there.
I will recommend you to do 2 things though.

1)Watch a couple of videos for each tier 8 and tier 10 dd preferably by flamu or flambass.
2)Rethink your stealth dd torp aproach.

Now that every game has 3-5 radars per side you are gonna have a very hard time after tier 8 especially since you are a new player and still learning the game.Gameplay after t8 is very different from what you will experience before it.
In the current meta, i find smokes almost totally useless so i play all my ijn dds with TRB (Torpedo Reload Booster) instead of smoke.That reloads your launchers within 8seconds.And that is the only way i found to be able to be somewhat useful.

Common sense + reading the forums will guide you on how to workaround this problem.

In the end you should play what makes you comfortable.
If you go down the ijn line, please watch videos on youtube on how to play Clemson,Farragut and mahan and copy their torp ambush tactics.I wish some1 had told me that when i started playing!

Have fun and welcome!

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,777 battles

If you want to avoid radar-heavy tiers, I recommend Mutsuki and T-22. T-22 being a bit more balanced; while the HE sucks for the tier, it can still slap Mutsuki around with ease. Mutsuki's firepower is just that garbage. Mutsuki however is not only best at stealth at t5-7, it also has great speed unlike the higher tiers. It also has some decent AA which will at least punish CVs for keeping you spotted, something you can't say about e.g. Kagero. It's the quintessential torpboat.

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
16,652 battles

I As someone who currently have all DD lines on T10 would say IJN is the way to go.

I have to note that as A DD you are the eyes of the team, so up to half way trough the match, and possibly towards the end of the match it's your job to spot the enemies.

German, Sneaky torps but high detection on ship mens you have to get really close to torp. How ever you have quite decent guns. on higer tiers you have hydro which keeps you safer than any other DD if you are hiding in smoke.

Pan Asian, Very sneaky torps, most ships have very good guns, but you cannot hit enemy DD's with those torps, which might be rather annoying when you know that there is 2 enemy DD's in some smoke clowd, but you also know that you cannot hit them. Also sometimes that lack of ability to hit anemy DD's with torps might cause you lose a close range fight.

USN, Gunboats all the way, Fletcher and Gearing (T9 and T10) can be played as torp boats.

IJN, High detection torps, maybe, but relatively fast and long range torpedos, and very stealthy ship, you most likely lose all gunfights with the exeption of Akizuki, (T8 alternative line) and the ships that come after that.

USSR, Gunboats, and in my honest opinion pretty bad ones until you get to alternativel line, where you can choose to continue to Kiev or Ognevoi. Ognevoi being the "only" torpedo boat of this line.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,150 posts
5,899 battles
12 hours ago, Ouzo11 said:

Ijn main line was my first line in the game.
Went up to tier 8.All great ships except the, at the time tier 7, hatsuharu.
IJN line on tier 10 has one of the best destroyers named Shimakaze, with 3 torp setups.
20km torps which totally suck.

12km torps
8km torps with super speed and low concealement.

[...]

What? best destroyers Shimakaze? Actual the worst destroyer of all? Global statistic with the lowest winrate. Guns are 50% of the guns of other dds, torpedo reaction time is the highest of all torpedos! Even the 8 km torpedos have a high reaction time. Damage and number is good, but doesn't help, if it's easy to dodge compared to other torpedos

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

The rate of fire and turret rotation are indeed bad,But the alpha hits harder than a truck going full speed hitting sideways a cyclist passing a red light.
On the old t8 fubuki, and currently on the yugumo i tend to use my guns a lot. Kill secures, APing broadside cruisers, hitting targets that have their guns on the other side, kiting away while fighting other dds at ranges higher than 7km etc.
The torps indeed have a high reaction time, but..15! When not spamming them from range they are not that easy to avoid. Not all of them at least!
Lets also not forget that it is very fast and untill the RN dds come into play it is the stealthiest dd on its tier.

Players
5 posts
On 2018. 07. 28. at 10:59 PM, JOVA1982 said:

I As someone who currently have all DD lines on T10 would say IJN is the way to go.

I have to note that as A DD you are the eyes of the team, so up to half way trough the match, and possibly towards the end of the match it's your job to spot the enemies.

German, Sneaky torps but high detection on ship mens you have to get really close to torp. How ever you have quite decent guns. on higer tiers you have hydro which keeps you safer than any other DD if you are hiding in smoke.

Pan Asian, Very sneaky torps, most ships have very good guns, but you cannot hit enemy DD's with those torps, which might be rather annoying when you know that there is 2 enemy DD's in some smoke clowd, but you also know that you cannot hit them. Also sometimes that lack of ability to hit anemy DD's with torps might cause you lose a close range fight.

USN, Gunboats all the way, Fletcher and Gearing (T9 and T10) can be played as torp boats.

IJN, High detection torps, maybe, but relatively fast and long range torpedos, and very stealthy ship, you most likely lose all gunfights with the exeption of Akizuki, (T8 alternative line) and the ships that come after that.

USSR, Gunboats, and in my honest opinion pretty bad ones until you get to alternativel line, where you can choose to continue to Kiev or Ognevoi. Ognevoi being the "only" torpedo boat of this line.

USSR, Gunboats, and in my honest opinion pretty bad ones until you get to alternative line, where you can choose to continue to Kiev or Ognevoi. Ognevoi being the "only" torpedo boat of this line. so that means nowadays the Khabarowsk worth nothind in tier X?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,813 posts
6,439 battles

VMF gunboats are pretty good, but they have their specific playstyle... Khaba is still very strong.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles
17 minutes ago, M_t_Karn_czi said:

USSR, Gunboats, and in my honest opinion pretty bad ones until you get to alternative line, where you can choose to continue to Kiev or Ognevoi. Ognevoi being the "only" torpedo boat of this line. so that means nowadays the Khabarowsk worth nothind in tier X?

No that is not what he said. IMO the soviet gunboats are good up until the split at tier 8 (well, I did not really like the Minsk. Still a nice gunboat though). The rest range from alright to great but they do require some care in order to play effectively. And despite the nerfs the Kebab is still a pest and annoying to deal with.

As for the hybrid line, never played it but I don't see that much atraction from it. If you want a good hybrid the Gearing, Yueyang and Z-52 have not gone anywhere and the latter 2 will also munch up and push out any other DD trying to get into a cap.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,813 posts
6,439 battles

Grozovoi is a great choice for KoTS, but that's about all it has. It's useless in CB as there's no CV, and it's not very good for random either.

Players
5 posts
36 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

No that is not what he said. IMO the soviet gunboats are good up until the split at tier 8 (well, I did not really like the Minsk. Still a nice gunboat though). The rest range from alright to great but they do require some care in order to play effectively. And despite the nerfs the Kebab is still a pest and annoying to deal with.

As for the hybrid line, never played it but I don't see that much atraction from it. If you want a good hybrid the Gearing, Yueyang and Z-52 have not gone anywhere and the latter 2 will also munch up and push out any other DD trying to get into a cap.

thank you for the information i played WOT and i started playing WOW in the Ussr line for 2 reason 1st i geadered some information before i stearted the line. 2 nd becase my country was  had some historyc  events battle with the USSR/ Russian army in the past. As for the hybrid line: as a beginner player i thing the easiest to handle is te american line

[OP-B]
Players
128 posts
16,652 battles

As others have answered you misunderstood what I was saying.
What I mean is, I didnt like any USSR DD before T8. All T8 T9 and T10 USSR DD's are actually pretty good.
In my opinion, the line itself is painful before it gets good, but when it gets good, it gets REALLY good.

• Cool 1