Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Radar Discussion Megathread

1,283 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles

OK then @MrConway, as in other threads:

 

How about NO visibility (in real life, Radar doesn't render ships visible either, really) but THIS instead:

giphy.gif

 

My idea:

If a ship uses the radar consumable, this is what his minimap (and the large map, too) should look like.

It should reveal ship positions, but not the identity, class or anything like that. You'd need to think what that dot is.

You can easily adjust strength (make 'needle' go around faster, give two 'needles', let dotted image last longer, or even add BB/CL/DD.

You could adjust the length of usage and range. And/or decide to have it 'shared with team' or not (if not --> use chat).

And some could see over mountains, some not. Maybe you can only see 'labels'. Or just dots. Or the ship symbols. heading. Speed?

BBs could be more easily detectable than CLs or DDs. Many ways to play with it.

 

Plus choice - do the detected ones KNOW it is 'detected by radar', or do they NOT know (... at all, or maybe just 'detected).

Asdic pings can be heard. Radar cannot. So you COULD be detected without knowing. Owwww... radar-detection-detector...

I think I just invented another consumable.

 

But the ships should not show up visually (unless 'visually' detected as per usual). That is the way real radar works, too.

You could be sitting next to an oceanliner in thick fog and not know it. Only the RADAR SCREEN will know/show.

It will still detect 'hidden' ships (to be decided if it goes through mountain or not).

And then the radar-users can decide if they will take a look, retreat or fight.

 

This way, it will no longer make the 'radared ones' free kills. AKA free-to-farm-visible for everybody. They'll need brains.

Instead it will make the threat that hides behind the corner (or in smoke) known, leaving each the option to attack or to run.

 

As it is now, the radar does not only benefit the player using radar, but makes the radared DD a free target for all of them.

And to no risk for the user of the radar. Basically, 'as is' it is a 'risk-free shots for everybody' button.

Like having a traitor in the team, who blabs away in chat telling where everybody is hiding, but WORSE.

Because when a radar kicks in, everybody knows where the victim is, and everybody can see it clearly to start shooting.

 

 

 

  • Cool 7
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,513 posts
10,110 battles

 

 

Lets just talk and talk while you actually refuse do to some realism like: planes cant drop over mountains but radar can etc :(
sadly , radar must be nerfed to make this game any better for dds.

You nerfed smoke, whats problem with putting radar in line with other consumables.

 

#WGthings

  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
6,076 posts
5,300 battles

While I am not a big fan of how Radar got implemented either main main problem are sheer numbers.

 

It wasn’t terrible until you have 4-6 Radar ships against you in each battle. That just sucks.

 

It’s a matter of ruined by overdoing. Heck you even put it on T7..???

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
16,381 posts
11,331 battles
23 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

While I am not a big fan of how Radar got implemented either main main problem are sheer numbers.

 

It wasn’t terrible until you have 4-6 Radar ships against you in each battle. That just sucks.

 

It’s a matter of ruined by overdoing. Heck you even put it on T7..???

But you do not.

The numbers went up from 1.5 to 2.5-3 radar ships per team and are now slowly going down while DD numbers go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

IMO there's a surge now because of the US light cruiser line hype. My guess it'll be back to "normal" pretty soon. I don't mind radar that much. Haven't got into too much trouble through it.

 

edit: typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DREAD]
Players
6,076 posts
5,300 battles
2 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

IMO there's a surge nog because of the US light cruiser line hype. My guess it'll be back to "normal" pretty soon. I don't mind radar that much. Haven't got into too much trouble through it.

 

While there is certainly kind of a peak it is undeniable that a lot more ships have Radar these days. And that is the problem. I think it started with The Radar BB and now entire lines have it. Atlanta got it added, even some other T7s. And all US and Russian cruisers from T8 on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Players
3,261 posts
12,813 battles
7 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

 

While there is certainly kind of a peak it is undeniable that a lot more ships have Radar these days. And that is the problem. I think it started with The Radar BB and now entire lines have it. Atlanta got it added, even some other T7s. And all US and Russian cruisers from T8 on. 

Still only a few select maps that suffer in terms of gameplay. ..and only a few ships that can't cope as well in those maps.

 

I wouldn't mind WG having a look at radars and their functionality if they intend to keep adding more radar ships. ..or just take increased radar numbers into consideration when designing maps.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles

I have only been 'radar-killed' ONCE... but it was no fun. 

In my Leander, I managed to drive out two DDs from a cap. 

Killed one, chased the other off. Hid behind island, and capped. 

 

They KNEW I was there, so someone radared me, and I was a sitting duck for their whole team. 

What to do then? Just kill all their DDs? No use. I think maybe better cap in BB...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GOE]
Players
1,647 posts
6,848 battles
4 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

 

 

Lets just talk and talk while you actually refuse do to some realism like: planes cant drop over mountains but radar can etc :(
sadly , radar must be nerfed to make this game any better for dds.

You nerfed smoke, whats problem with putting radar in line with other consumables.

 

#WGthings

 

latest?cb=20170604151152

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,611 posts
5,708 battles
7 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

OK then @MrConway, as in other threads:

 

How about NO visibility (in real life, Radar doesn't render ships visible either, really) but THIS instead:

giphy.gif

 

My idea:

If a ship uses the radar consumable, this is what his minimap (and the large map, too) should look like.

It should reveal ship positions, but not the identity, class or anything like that. You'd need to think what that dot is.

You can easily adjust strength (make 'needle' go around faster, give two 'needles', let dotted image last longer, or even add BB/CL/DD.

You could adjust the length of usage and range. And/or decide to have it 'shared with team' or not (if not --> use chat).

And some could see over mountains, some not. Maybe you can only see 'labels'. Or just dots. Or the ship symbols. heading. Speed?

BBs could be more easily detectable than CLs or DDs. Many ways to play with it.

As much as I think radar has its issues, I don't think this is any solution. For one, radar was designed to allow negating smoke cover and concealment advantages. Which is a valid idea, though it needs some fine tuning to not be at times ridiculous. This proposal however basically completely changes the purpose of radar to basically be Radiolocation Finder+. Not to mention that it'd make radar the most convoluted mess of features ever.

 

I think @Aotearas made some good points on how radar should be toned down, but I don't think we need to fundamentally change the very nature and purpose of the consumable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,690 posts
2,950 battles
4 hours ago, Riselotte said:

As much as I think radar has its issues, I don't think this is any solution. For one, radar was designed to allow negating smoke cover and concealment advantages. Which is a valid idea, though it needs some fine tuning to not be at times ridiculous. This proposal however basically completely changes the purpose of radar to basically be Radiolocation Finder+. Not to mention that it'd make radar the most convoluted mess of features ever.

 

I think @Aotearas made some good points on how radar should be toned down, but I don't think we need to fundamentally change the very nature and purpose of the consumable.

 

Radio-locator+ is actually what radar is. 

Right now, it is more like what @nambr9 posted. 

 

My solution still negates smoke - and we have hydro as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HEROZ]
Players
749 posts
6,436 battles
12 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

 

 

Lets just talk and talk while you actually refuse do to some realism like: planes cant drop over mountains but radar can etc :(
sadly , radar must be nerfed to make this game any better for dds.

You nerfed smoke, whats problem with putting radar in line with other consumables.

 

#WGthings

You are aware that smoke was nerfed for everyone EXCEPT dds? Dds actually benefited from nerf because bbs stopped trying to get into smoke and making it a better target for torps and making dd harder to manouver in smoke?

 

Smoke nerf had nothing to do with dds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GOE]
Players
1,647 posts
6,848 battles

@MrConway

 

It's kinda sad how every gimmic is inGame used as an offensive tool while iRL it was a purely defensive...

Radar, Smoke Screens, RPF (if such a thing even existed back then) or Hydro...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HEROZ]
Players
749 posts
6,436 battles
13 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

OK then @MrConway, as in other threads:

 

How about NO visibility (in real life, Radar doesn't render ships visible either, really) but THIS instead:

giphy.gif

 

My idea:

If a ship uses the radar consumable, this is what his minimap (and the large map, too) should look like.

It should reveal ship positions, but not the identity, class or anything like that. You'd need to think what that dot is.

You can easily adjust strength (make 'needle' go around faster, give two 'needles', let dotted image last longer, or even add BB/CL/DD.

You could adjust the length of usage and range. And/or decide to have it 'shared with team' or not (if not --> use chat).

And some could see over mountains, some not. Maybe you can only see 'labels'. Or just dots. Or the ship symbols. heading. Speed?

BBs could be more easily detectable than CLs or DDs. Many ways to play with it.

 

Plus choice - do the detected ones KNOW it is 'detected by radar', or do they NOT know (... at all, or maybe just 'detected).

Asdic pings can be heard. Radar cannot. So you COULD be detected without knowing. Owwww... radar-detection-detector...

I think I just invented another consumable.

 

But the ships should not show up visually (unless 'visually' detected as per usual). That is the way real radar works, too.

You could be sitting next to an oceanliner in thick fog and not know it. Only the RADAR SCREEN will know/show.

It will still detect 'hidden' ships (to be decided if it goes through mountain or not).

And then the radar-users can decide if they will take a look, retreat or fight.

 

This way, it will no longer make the 'radared ones' free kills. AKA free-to-farm-visible for everybody. They'll need brains.

Instead it will make the threat that hides behind the corner (or in smoke) known, leaving each the option to attack or to run.

 

As it is now, the radar does not only benefit the player using radar, but makes the radared DD a free target for all of them.

And to no risk for the user of the radar. Basically, 'as is' it is a 'risk-free shots for everybody' button.

Like having a traitor in the team, who blabs away in chat telling where everybody is hiding, but WORSE.

Because when a radar kicks in, everybody knows where the victim is, and everybody can see it clearly to start shooting.

 

 

 

Good idea. Dont forget that if you are so keen on realism ships in smoke also dont see anything. So bye bye team spoting for a ship pewpewing from smoke. I have no issues with radar looking like you proposed if ship firing from smoke sees more or less the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Moderator
1,443 posts
5,920 battles
56 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

 

Radio-locator+ is actually what radar is. 


@nambr9

 

He is completely right..

 

RADAR : Radio Detection and Ranging!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,513 posts
10,110 battles
1 hour ago, Oderisson said:

You are aware that smoke was nerfed for everyone EXCEPT dds? Dds actually benefited from nerf because bbs stopped trying to get into smoke and making it a better target for torps and making dd harder to manouver in smoke?

 

Smoke nerf had nothing to do with dds.

 

 

Dude...

 

Smoke nerf had to to everything with quality of gaming. Remember those long long smoke walls etc? Simple wasnt fun.

Well on same way, pretty much radar is killing DDs+ RN cls..   make it little different: If you have LOS on target then they can be radared would be good. But like this bum around you 12km spotted everything is so crap.


And just to understand each other, I spend most of time in carriers.. so radars can not do anything to me.. but I see problem when you have 4 dds on the map and 8 radards in total in the game.. isnt that lil bit too harsh?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_SM_]
Players
269 posts
10,361 battles

Here is solution.make radar and smoke work like in real.If you have somebody to spot you can calculate where to shoot an in fact it is quite accurate.Same with radar but not through islands.They are not so accurate as in line sight so easiest way is increase dispersion when you shoot from smoke or if you shoot radarred ship.For example your normal dispersion x 2.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,936 posts
12,778 battles
13 minutes ago, evp66 said:

Here is solution.make radar and smoke work like in real.If you have somebody to spot you can calculate where to shoot an in fact it is quite accurate.Same with radar but not through islands.They are not so accurate as in line sight so easiest way is increase dispersion when you shoot from smoke or if you shoot radarred ship.For example your normal dispersion x 2.

Don't pull the realism card m8. Cause in that case I want permanent radar...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,513 posts
10,110 battles
6 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Don't pull the realism card m8. Cause in that case I want permanent radar...


Then I want one torpedo to solve problem of your permanent radar and floating overall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
26 minutes ago, evp66 said:

Here is solution.make radar like in real

So you want a longer range radar, which is a toggle on / off ability with no max duration / cooldown associated with it, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[W-C]
Players
501 posts
2,341 battles
12 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Then I want one torpedo to solve problem of your permanent radar and floating overall.

Assuming it isn't a dud:Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_SM_]
Players
269 posts
10,361 battles
19 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

So you want a longer range radar, which is a toggle on / off ability with no max duration / cooldown associated with it, yes?

And radar can be located very fast...You know well what I mean.Isnt fair that both are nerfed a little to make game more playable and fun...or do you want to pick candies from the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NOCAP]
Players
1,535 posts
15,496 battles

When radar was first introduced the cooldown was much longer (iirc same as spotter plane). Since there are more ships with radars nowadays it could be a good solution to go back to the original cooldown time.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,646 posts
2,413 battles
15 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

OK then @MrConway, as in other threads:

 

How about NO visibility (in real life, Radar doesn't render ships visible either, really) but THIS instead:

giphy.gif

 

My idea:

If a ship uses the radar consumable, this is what his minimap (and the large map, too) should look like.

It should reveal ship positions, but not the identity, class or anything like that. You'd need to think what that dot is.

You can easily adjust strength (make 'needle' go around faster, give two 'needles', let dotted image last longer, or even add BB/CL/DD.

You could adjust the length of usage and range. And/or decide to have it 'shared with team' or not (if not --> use chat).

And some could see over mountains, some not. Maybe you can only see 'labels'. Or just dots. Or the ship symbols. heading. Speed?

BBs could be more easily detectable than CLs or DDs. Many ways to play with it.

 

Plus choice - do the detected ones KNOW it is 'detected by radar', or do they NOT know (... at all, or maybe just 'detected).

Asdic pings can be heard. Radar cannot. So you COULD be detected without knowing. Owwww... radar-detection-detector...

I think I just invented another consumable.

 

But the ships should not show up visually (unless 'visually' detected as per usual). That is the way real radar works, too.

You could be sitting next to an oceanliner in thick fog and not know it. Only the RADAR SCREEN will know/show.

It will still detect 'hidden' ships (to be decided if it goes through mountain or not).

And then the radar-users can decide if they will take a look, retreat or fight.

 

This way, it will no longer make the 'radared ones' free kills. AKA free-to-farm-visible for everybody. They'll need brains.

Instead it will make the threat that hides behind the corner (or in smoke) known, leaving each the option to attack or to run.

 

As it is now, the radar does not only benefit the player using radar, but makes the radared DD a free target for all of them.

And to no risk for the user of the radar. Basically, 'as is' it is a 'risk-free shots for everybody' button.

Like having a traitor in the team, who blabs away in chat telling where everybody is hiding, but WORSE.

Because when a radar kicks in, everybody knows where the victim is, and everybody can see it clearly to start shooting.

 

 

 

 

This wouldn't make any sense to me, even in WW2 ships were able to accurately fire at ships they had only detected by radar and could not actually see - your idea would turn radar more into what RL is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×