You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FormationCloudsDefance

What is the Average Damage of a Cruiser?

10 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
1,857 battles

I'm not a good player. I have T9 Japan cruiser IBUKI. I'm struggling to play it. Sometimes I cannot see first 10 minutes alive. My average damage is between 30-60K. What do you think? What is the ideal damage for this situation(Not too good play just average)?

[TTT]
Players
3,573 posts
7,449 battles

Ibuki server average is 48592, your average 34961. So you arent exactly doing great, but there are also worse players out there (and better T9 cruisers...).

for all of your stats and numbers needs, you can head on over to https://wows-numbers.com/ :Smile_honoring:

[AS13]
Players
1,135 posts
1,552 battles

If you last longer, then you usually score better. Because in the 'end game' they are mostly 'softened up a bit'.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,858 posts
20,762 battles
22 minutes ago, FormationCloudsDefance said:

I'm not a good player. I have T9 Japan cruiser IBUKI. I'm struggling to play it. Sometimes I cannot see first 10 minutes alive. My average damage is between 30-60K. What do you think? What is the ideal damage for this situation(Not too good play just average)?

It depends also on what you damage, Ibukis damage as a firestarter often is against BBs that can be repaired, if you do a lot of damage against DDs instead you get more impact XP wise per damage, as the XP is based % wise of enemy ship thus better take 10000 dmg of a DD=50% or 10000 of GK =10%..

You also get more impact on game, so even if its is meaningful to look at average damage to see if you improve, combination of WR and damage is more important to track, so try improve both. 

Do not care too much of stats until you played a lot in the ships so the stats are not extra bad due to playing stock hulls or with a new low point captain, start getting serious tracking your result with completed build and at least 10 p captain, just in case that you start from scratch in the ship. But also wait a sufficient number of games so its not too influenced by a few certain catastrophic games or extra superb games, even though it is natural to look early and maybe compare with server and your results in other T9s if you have more - the relative performance.

Personally I did not like the Ibuki and plays her almost never but after that you reach the magnificent Zao :Smile_smile:.

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,886 posts
5,347 battles

You shouldnt be too focused on your damage dealt. If you improve your overall playstyle, you will deal more damage, have a higher impact on the game and win more.

Do you have replays enabled? (or use the search, so you find out how to enable them) then you got upload the file and we can have a look at it. That way, people can tell you what to do better and where the problems are. There are many ppl good at this, and they will help you if you are willing to learn.

Overall after looking at your stats you seem to struggle dealing damage, and your survivability is quite low. Indicates an overly aggressive playstyle. Sadly, Cruisers need to hang back a bit at the start of the game. Dont overextend, but try to be as close as possible to help your team. The longer a Cruiser survives, the bigger his impact on the game becomes.

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles

While Ibuki is more fragile than a good few other cruisers, it's not without some strengths. It has low detectability, a ton of guns and high fire chance, so basically. Ballistics on shells are decent and like all IJN cruisers, it is fast. For fire starting, it's at times best to sneak into range, make preparations to bail, then fire a salvo and run. If the enemy doesn't react, you can continue shooting, but if they do, just vanish again. By the time they can react and reach you with shells, Ibuki should ideally already be facing away again and finishing a turn. That's to a degree basic for a cruiser, but for Ibuki, it's very important, because the ship is so squishy. An advantage you have in fire setting over CAs that are often regarded as stronger, like Roon, is that while a Roon has to for example shoot a few salvos to get a fire, having to rely on dpm, thus extending the time it is spotted, Ibuki has a fair chance to set a fire with every salvo and can thus also just plan around being spotted for 20 seconds. It has a slow reload, so you don't miss out on too much.

More daring, if there are no BBs able to just cripple your ship, you can push up and support DDs or CLs. Following a few km behind them, they might spot targets like enemy DDs, which an Ibuki can slap with a 10 gun broadside of meaty HE for pretty brutal damage. Obviously, you need to plan on how to not get shot at by enemy cruisers or BBs when doing this, but it's a great help for friendly DDs and you got the concealment to spring that trap (following ~5-6 km behind friendly DDs). Lastly, the 10 guns also have a nice punch against cruisers, so you can use your stealth to sneak up on cruisers who do not notice you threaten their broadside and throw a 10 gun AP salvo at them. In both cases, you get pretty good exp from that.

Typically, like all IJN cruisers, you rely more on alpha damage and fire chance than on sustained dpm, which also means you don't always need to keep the guns firing, thus making it less obvious where you are and getting shot at less.

• Cool 2

[AONO]
Players
51 posts
8,534 battles

With Ibuki it's quite realistic to just try to deal as much damage as possible. Your number one priority for that is to stay alive for the entire game, because dead ships don't deal damage.

Ibuki  also has a great concealment that you can use to drop aggro when enemies target you,  and to get into better positions undetected - i.e. closer or further away as it is required, or onto the enemy flank where their turrets aren't turned. It is your ticket to get into exactly the combat situations you want to be in. You just have to predict where the enemy will be moving and intercept them accordingly. Occasionally you can also be a really good torpedo boat if the enemy is pushing right through your flank. You can just run away, stay at 10 km, and throw torps their way.

In general, if a single BB or cruiser targets you, you should be fine by just kiting away and doging shells. Your concealment allows you to get close and then turn around to get into a kiting position before opening fire, so you always have this luxury. Stay angled away from the enemy and dodge by moving left and right, or by slowing down and accelerating again. When multiple enemies target you, it's probably time to get undetected again.

If you get good at Ibuki, you can easily get >90k dmg average.

[TTT]
Players
56 posts
9,025 battles
12 hours ago, FormationCloudsDefance said:

Sometimes I cannot see first 10 minutes alive. 

Thats the answer to your question =) 
Increase this number and you will be surprised how avg dmg will go sky high :Smile_trollface: :cap_rambo:

P.S. Good avg dmg for ibuki starts at least at 55-60k  i think :cap_book:

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles

Not to worry lad, I was in the exact same situation when I first got her. All the tips given so far are good, so keep them in mind. :cap_like:

Also remember, that Ibuki just like all IJN Cruisers from tier 5 upwards CAN still be used as a proto-torpedo boat of sorts if you are in poor health just revert to TB-mode for a while (while using heal to recover your HP, for example). Your 10km torp range exceeds your visibility range (just don't fire them guns) and so you will have a fair chance to use those awesome 16 torps against any unwary targets from stealth. Of course, you do have to choose your location carefully, an enemy DD spotting you prematurely might spoil the plan and get you killed instead.:fish_boom:

It is quite easy to fall into the trap of thinking that Ibuki is tankier and that you therefore could afford to be much more aggressive with it than a Mogami (and this is exactly what gets you killed early) BUT basically just treat it like you would a Mogami instead (albeit with a bonus heal and much better gun range) and you should do just fine. For good results pretty much the exact same tactics apply (squishy, stealth, torps and bum-rash BBQ's).:cap_win:

[-SBF-]
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
314 posts
9,781 battles

Try harassing with her. Go to the side where enemy main push is, sail in front of them near map edge. Most will keep their guns aimed at map centre, so you can burn them and send torp. If they get annoyed enough and turn on you, silence guns and cloak up. Repeat  :cap_like: