Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jack_Geary

CV's not doing there job.

34 comments in this topic

[GUNUP]
[GUNUP]
Players
18 posts
2,466 battles

CV's. I know I am a beginner but in co-op missions isn't it the job of CV's to protect there team from the enemy carrier? Almost every battle I go in the CV ignores the ships so we get bombed and torpedoed all the time. They are spoiling the game TBH.

[SKRUN]
Players
96 posts

Nope, not their job. They can help with it but in the end you can easily crush the bot cvs airplanes by using some AA modules/skills. 

• Cool 2

[GUNUP]
[GUNUP]
Players
18 posts
2,466 battles

I do use some AA modules and generally I can dodge the torps but when you are battling a few cruisers like I usually am in my atago or sharnhorst last thing I wanted to do was show my broadside to them ... and the carrier makes you do that.

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
22 minutes ago, Jack_Geary said:

I do use some AA modules and generally I can dodge the torps but when you are battling a few cruisers like I usually am in my atago or sharnhorst last thing I wanted to do was show my broadside to them ... and the carrier makes you do that.

1. Stay near allies
  2. Atago has defensive AA consumable. Its AA is bad, but the consumable still helps

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,564 posts
6,392 battles

Bots always autodrop, and 1-by-1 at that. Easiest dodge you could ever have, even without any AA

[SCRUB]
Players
1,873 posts
57 minutes ago, Jack_Geary said:

(...) They are spoiling the game TBH.

Nah... They are getting you ready for Random Battles. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,451 posts
7,791 battles

There's definitely an argument to be made for that, since the only reason there's a CV on the enemy team is because your CV queued.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles
3 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

There's definitely an argument to be made for that, since the only reason there's a CV on the enemy team is because your CV queued.

Hold that thought, I have been in a couple of games where the player team got a bot CV as well. And I have to say, that was one of the best CV players I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.^.~

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
380 posts

Is quite common in co-op for the player team to include a bot CV, almost more surprising if it doesn't. Take a look at the player name and whether it starts and ends with a " : ", if it does then is a bot and it might attempt to provide fighter cover.

[DKMUK]
Players
255 posts
2,482 battles

cvs can help with aa but they have limited planes no cv player is gonna waste there planes saving a ship that sailed off alone needs of the many thing,

oh and crying for aa support when torp bombers are 5km  away from you is no good my planes are well planes not starships with warp drive they dont TELEPORT like 99% of the player base thinks

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,038 posts
1 hour ago, Nechrom said:

Not true, COOP games frequently have a bot CV on both sides since a few months back they made a change to the format. No idea why or what benefit it's supposed to serve.

Oh, the word there (indicating a direction) even though it sounds the same as their (indicating ownership/of them) has a totally different meaning and they're not interchangeable.

Players
730 posts
11,514 battles
3 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Not true, COOP games frequently have a bot CV on both sides since a few months back they made a change to the format. No idea why or what benefit it's supposed to serve.

The only benefit I can imagine is making other ships' players aware of the existence of CVs. The problem is that...

2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Bots always autodrop, and 1-by-1 at that. Easiest dodge you could ever have, even without any AA

which can create some overconfidence with players expecting to be able to do the same (i.e., consistently survive aerial drops without needing proper AA) in random battles, thus being heavily hit by any CV able to do crossed or manual drops, not to mention the squadron stacking.

3 hours ago, Jack_Geary said:

CV's. I know I am a beginner but in co-op missions isn't it the job of CV's to protect there team from the enemy carrier? Almost every battle I go in the CV ignores the ships so we get bombed and torpedoed all the time. They are spoiling the game TBH.

Well, theoretically yes, but the scripted behaviour for bot CVs is pretty lame (I'm talking about operations: long time since I entered coop battles for the last time but the same should be applicable there as well). Fighters tend to engage the closest enemy squadron to their mother ship and attack planes tend to go against the closest ship that qualifies within their set priorities (low health, proximity to the CV... you name it).

Salute.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,451 posts
7,791 battles
42 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Oh, the word there (indicating a direction) even though it sounds the same as their (indicating ownership/of them) has a totally different meaning and they're not interchangeable.

Yes, I am aware. But what does that have to do with what I wrote?

I used there twice in the correct context.

[HAERT]
Players
2,038 posts
29 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Yes, I am aware. But what does that have to do with what I wrote?

I used there twice in the correct context.

It wasn't aimed at you, I quoted you and I can see why it would have seemed like it was pointed at you not the other posters brutalising the language.

I rely heavily on context with the way I read and I find it uncomfortable when people use the wrong words.

• Cool 1

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
418 posts
7,632 battles
5 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Dunno about that, sometimes bot cvs focus me so hard I get cross torped. Oh, and funny thing: I play "normal" classes - I get focused, so I started to play cvs again, and in some games at least bot cv tried to snipe me. I just can't seem to get a break.

Bot cvs are yandere for me or something? -_-' 

5 hours ago, lafeel said:

Hold that thought, I have been in a couple of games where the player team got a bot CV as well. And I have to say, that was one of the best CV players I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.^.~

The only thing that could be improved imo: bot cvs could go cap when they have a 1v1 with cv on the enemy team. Or try to run from their usual routes if the last one left alive.

In any case: yes, bot carriers are better than human carriers most of the time (like for example: bot cv will give you air cover, while human cv can just forget that he has fighters - happened at least once to me, I'm getting bombed to death and fighters from carrier on my team are circling the same spot for 5 minutes now...).

Also: general strats that I use mean that early on some people will get dropped on, but by the end of the game bot cv is deplaned. Target priorities are: fighters>tbs>dbs. My own drops are not that important, I'm not the main damage dealer, the main objective is to gain 100% control over the sky as the game progresses. Which might get easier when I finally gain access to alt key. :P

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,602 battles
7 hours ago, Jack_Geary said:

That kinda thing only exists in real games against other players (Randoms and such). BOT CV's don't know about such advanced tactics (weell, to be fair some players don't either but that's another story), they just charge at the closest target and that's it. :Smile_Default:

In any case Co-ops are only good for testing different ship loadout/setups (AA, anti-DD, secondary build and such). You won't really learn how to play against other players there, so go to randoms and you might even find the occasional competent CV player too. Though, in my experience they annoyingly often tend to be on the opposite side... :Smile_great:

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,056 battles
8 hours ago, Jack_Geary said:

Cv job is not to protect team. It protects couple of important ships mostly dds 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles

Contrary to popular belief it is straight up impossible to protect teammates against every single strike if the enemy CV is any good. Fighters have a lot of jobs, be it scouting, passive or active air denial and fighting against enemy fighters for air superiority. They have limited ammo and are few in both squads and reserves. They cannot be everywhere, especially if the team splits up in every direction.

If you want to be safe from air strikes, either play an AA cruiser with DFAA and some basic AA skills equipped (AFT + AA range upgrade is usually enough) or stick with teammates.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, Players
5,112 posts

if u begg for cv def u , its sure your prob , like a say buy aa mod etc problem solved^^

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,819 battles
8 hours ago, Jack_Geary said:

Problem is also that when you try to learn CVs is that the manual strafe/drop comes at T6 , if you play at lower  tiers where you try to learn CV play the rewards for protecting allies are low and the Figthers tend to lock each other depending on RNG factors. That makes it more efficient teamwise to target important enemies instead. If enemy CV planes comes nearby you intercept them of course but there is no idea hunting planes that have dropped already as it takes so long to catch them, if the fight is near enemy ships it is just waste as you lose for sure and your reserves are so small.

Think also on how you position yourself to the friendly CV, is it one or two CVs on the team.  Personally I tend to protect them close to me as it is easier and also more dangerous to me if they let enemy DDs slip by. If you belong to the other group on the other flank you will be left to fend for yourself.

Playing CV is another game UI-wise and we will see what happens after rework. Remember that the CV player might be new in that shiptype, i am new and I struggle a lot im CV play despite having 18000 games, I have ignored CVs totally despite having many games so I am playing Hosho and Langley at T4. And Enterprise in coop at T8 for Halsey missions.

One thing also is that you somehow must learn the hard way and the skill difference between players are extra large in CVs. And its shown more, people rant over bad players but as a BB, CA or DD player that are useless and new may have luck against a good enemy, while it is far less likely for a bad CV player. Try CV and see if you can micromanage all squadrons optimal for yourself, it might give you more insight of the life as a CVplayer. You see even at T4 that it is not that easy to protect your friends and above all does not give you much rewards. 

As a bad player of another shiptype you can more easily get away from rants in chat and bad karma. Many thinks that the CV is their personal babysitter, stay with other ships , then it is at least costly for the CV.

If the CV pins the DD fire on that ship.

I am useless in CVs when the enemy is good, if I meet another newbie I have naturally advantage of my experience in other ships, but think of it also as Team equation, even if I am a bad Cv player trying to learn I must try to do what is most effiecent for my team, if I manage to sink/hit some ships that probably at least give more in a learning experience and XP wise. If you do one thing poorly but another at least tolerable you do the tolerable thing. I think it is the same with other ships, first you learn how to sail and handle your ship then you improve your teamplay, it is not different in CVs, first you try to learn attacking ships then you try to be better at other things.

AC from CVs is rather low on producing damage at lower tiers so if you in your ship does not try to dodge and gets sunk by multiple hits you have yourself to blame, manage your DCP correctly if you see the incoming planes and they are heading for you. Think also of the word hit limitation rather than total avoidance. If you steer into the torps that is generally to prefer even if you get 1 hit. Manual crossdrops on you by a skilled player is impossible to dodge but try to limit as much as possible. 

Average and batter CV players will have more to tell you , but I wanted to adress you as a player who tries to learn and my perspective.

• Cool 1

[GUNUP]
[GUNUP]
Players
18 posts
2,466 battles
15 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Problem is also that when you try to learn CVs is that the manual strafe/drop comes at T6 , if you play at lower  tiers where you try to learn CV play the rewards for protecting allies are low and the Figthers tend to lock each other depending on RNG factors. That makes it more efficient teamwise to target important enemies instead. If enemy CV planes comes nearby you intercept them of course but there is no idea hunting planes that have dropped already as it takes so long to catch them, if the fight is near enemy ships it is just waste as you lose for sure and your reserves are so small.

Think also on how you position yourself to the friendly CV, is it one or two CVs on the team.  Personally I tend to protect them close to me as it is easier and also more dangerous to me if they let enemy DDs slip by. If you belong to the other group on the other flank you will be left to fend for yourself.

Playing CV is another game UI-wise and we will see what happens after rework. Remember that the CV player might be new in that shiptype, i am new and I struggle a lot im CV play despite having 18000 games, I have ignored CVs totally despite having many games so I am playing Hosho and Langley at T4. And Enterprise in coop at T8 for Halsey missions.

One thing also is that you somehow must learn the hard way and the skill difference between players are extra large in CVs. And its shown more, people rant over bad players but as a BB, CA or DD player that are useless and new may have luck against a good enemy, while it is far less likely for a bad CV player. Try CV and see if you can micromanage all squadrons optimal for yourself, it might give you more insight of the life as a CVplayer. You see even at T4 that it is not that easy to protect your friends and above all does not give you much rewards. 

As a bad player of another shiptype you can more easily get away from rants in chat and bad karma. Many thinks that the CV is their personal babysitter, stay with other ships , then it is at least costly for the CV.

If the CV pins the DD fire on that ship.

I am useless in CVs when the enemy is good, if I meet another newbie I have naturally advantage of my experience in other ships, but think of it also as Team equation, even if I am a bad Cv player trying to learn I must try to do what is most effiecent for my team, if I manage to sink/hit some ships that probably at least give more in a learning experience and XP wise. If you do one thing poorly but another at least tolerable you do the tolerable thing. I think it is the same with other ships, first you learn how to sail and handle your ship then you improve your teamplay, it is not different in CVs, first you try to learn attacking ships then you try to be better at other things.

AC from CVs is rather low on producing damage at lower tiers so if you in your ship does not try to dodge and gets sunk by multiple hits you have yourself to blame, manage your DCP correctly if you see the incoming planes and they are heading for you. Think also of the word hit limitation rather than total avoidance. If you steer into the torps that is generally to prefer even if you get 1 hit. Manual crossdrops on you by a skilled player is impossible to dodge but try to limit as much as possible. 

Average and batter CV players will have more to tell you , but I wanted to adress you as a player who tries to learn and my perspective.

I have played CV's and find it easy to protect my other players, I generally concentrate on that first. Simply attack an bomber/torp squadron then the bot sends his fighters against yours, goto a near by cruiser fight it out, with the help of the cruiser you 90% win then you are free to cover your team.

I know that wont work on random ones but does on co-op. Then again I have only played a few games of CV to see what it was like.

• Cool 1

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,979 posts
4,964 battles
9 minutes ago, Jack_Geary said:

I know that wont work on random ones but does on co-op. Then again I have only played a few games of CV to see what it was like.

The comment about "there" and "their" was aimed at you.

So, after only a couple games, you decide its a good idea, with your ignorance and lack of knowledge on the game, to come here and post how you feel its wrong...

So you can cover your teammates, and attacking? Because your team mates should care for themselves, they have AA and WASD hacks, your fighters are to keep your bombers & torpedobombers alive.

Try learning the game basics first, then come make opinionated posts, that is the right order, not the other way around.

[GUNUP]
[GUNUP]
Players
18 posts
2,466 battles
2 minutes ago, Juanx said:

The comment about "there" and "their" was aimed at you.

So, after only a couple games, you decide its a good idea, with your ignorance and lack of knowledge on the game, to come here and post how you feel its wrong...

So you can cover your teammates, and attacking? Because your team mates should care for themselves, they have AA and WASD hacks, your fighters are to keep your bombers & torpedobombers alive.

Try learning the game basics first, then come make opinionated posts, that is the right order, not the other way around.

1. I said i was a beginner

2. It works.

3. I know the basics, I don't want to be a CV driver, i played a few to see what they have to do. Its called research.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles
8 minutes ago, Jack_Geary said:

I know the basics

No, you don't.

True CV play starts at T6+ with the addition of alt attacks. Before that everything you learn is basically a farce.

Players
674 posts
7,950 battles
29 minutes ago, Jack_Geary said:

I have played CV's and find it easy to protect my other players, I generally concentrate on that first. Simply attack an bomber/torp squadron then the bot sends his fighters against yours, goto a near by cruiser fight it out, with the help of the cruiser you 90% win then you are free to cover your team.

It does also work in random if the CV player reads the Team Chat and combat circumstances allow.

If I am in an AA heavy ship and we have a CV I ask him to try to get enemy aircraft within range of either my AA or another ships AA.. that does help him significantly and save his aircraft..

Sign in to follow this