Sign in to follow this  
Yaskaraxx

Massachusetts?- YES!!!..get it! Fun for all, for sure

15 comments in this topic

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles

I have them both: the great Alabama and since today also Massachusetts. Both ships look extremely cool, awesome looking (..but we already knew that, lol). What makes Massachusettes different form Alabama? Both play great, but in totally different ways. Alabama is the more distant fighter (HE+ AP shells) whereas the Massachusetts goes fully in(!), close assistance to team cruisers + destroyers...thus: brawling. Actually, the brawling the Massachusetts is able to do (because of excellent secondaries + faster healing) is very, very entertaining, both for yourself as for the enemy ships, lots of action + fun for all + entertainment there. So, I realy advise others to just try out the Massachusetts.

Somewhat more in dept, there is also a second important reason why I like the Massa so much: yes, in skillfull hands it is very powerfull BUT...now it comes: for enemy destroyers the Massa is a real fairplay enemy, meaning: the best skilled (or luckiest!) player wins the  fights. What I mean to say: Massa only has his skills (rl skills, intuition) + 1x (or 2x) floatplanes to use in fights against enemy detroyers..so...destroyers have a real equal chance to sink yr Massachusetts...so...FUN for all. Anyway, in those fights skills + luck decide the outcome of the fights (no radar involved, just skills + luck).

Must say, ALL my battles with Massachusetts I much liked..much quality entertainment during those battles...and sometimes I sunk enemy destroyers and somethimes they sunk me...all about skills and equal chance. one of my last battles I was sunk by a real smart Shima captain...that guy played it real smart (he showed better skills) and he managed to plugg 8 torps in my Massachusetts, lol: that battle was great, I much liked it...and well..if enemy player plays it better, well, then I learn form it, lol, as long as battles are challenging and entertaining for all. So, yes, great gameplay + entertainment + fun for all.

Besides the above: the Massa makes excellent credits, real very good credits, because it plays close to caps + enemy (=credits).

So far I played some 15k battles in total..and my honest opinion is: Massachusetts is real great for gameplay (for ALL)..so, give it a try, you won't regret it.:cap_popcorn:

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Doesn't hurt either that they both have really nice looking alternative camos. The normal camo on both is a bit..eh.

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
23 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Doesn't hurt either that they both have really nice looking alternative camos. The normal camo on both is a bit..eh.

I have my Alabama & Massa with 3 flags + choice 2 camo's (1 camo I won in mission)...like them much as do I much like the awesome looks of the ships(!!)...to think of it: what an incredible great job WG graphical team did giving the real great + historic looks of Bama + Masa!....as a player ...just a member as you are...I realy give my great compliments to the artistical (graphical) team of WG: the did an immense great job! Cheers ta ya all. yr great!:cap_like:

[M_OB]
Players
6 posts
2,081 battles

I only purchased the Massa last night and coming from a full DD player i really REALLY enjoyed the Massa gameplay... so much so that I got 5 hours sleep before work because of the back to back to back games I just had to play.

10/10 shiperino

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
On 26-7-2018 at 10:56 AM, Javenge said:

I only purchased the Massa last night and coming from a full DD player i really REALLY enjoyed the Massa gameplay... so much so that I got 5 hours sleep before work because of the back to back to back games I just had to play.

10/10 shiperino

Yes, I recognize yr experience with Massa: indeed very nice and entertaining BB to play around with. I myself am also mostly DD + CA player (Atlanta = my very favourite cruiser) and when playing BB's I mostly play Massa or Nelson cuz both these battleships make very, very many credits and allways gimmi nice entertaining battles. Massa looks cool, great and I play it with the camo-colour-scheme I won with some special mission in past.

Past weekend we had the respec capt. skills reduction, so I did some experimenting a lot with some slight different capt. settings, to see how it would work out. I myself am mostly random solo player and presently I play Massa with following preferred settings:

1) PM + 2x floatplanes (planes are useful against lurking dd's)

2) AR

3) SI (pepair party has 50% lower cooldown!..cant pass on that, lol)

4) Man. secondaries + IFHE + AFT (exchange IFHE <---> FP is a valid option, depends on yr own preferences, both are ok)

I play it with main battery range 21,2 kms, so the secondaries do 9,4kms (with flag 9,9 kms); above 10 kms I noticed ya get less secondary hits anyway. Presently I play it with upgrade Propulsion Mod (makes it possible to fool around with DD's by switching yr speed, so I noticed often torps fully miss, lol) but fcaus Steering Gears Mod 2 or Damaga Control System Mod 2 are also very good options: again, thats up to the individual to decide, to play it the way that the most suits him/her (=personnal preferences). Anyway, one can easily switch and experiment with those upgrades later on.

When I start battle I first decide which teammembers I gonna use as scouting ships (them not even being aware of that, lol, so, I have them in front of my Massa as some DD protection/scouting) and I do some range firings with HE shells, doing my first 20k damage; I keep watching developments and somewhat later I go far more close and then my secondaries come into play. The main batteries can do enormeous high damage (ap-shells) especially when getting upclose and secondaries are allways "a nice extra damage". After battle I noticed I allways get lots of different kinds of ribbons (=reward for many different kinds of actions taken by Massa) + rewards and the credits I make per battle on average is some 180K credits NETT (= after deduction of all expenses, incl 3x premium consumables).

So yes, already played a lot of battles with Massachusetts and I very much like it, lots of nice action with it

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles

As to my posting #5, adding: for main battery aiming I use Crosshair Type 8 Static. Works ok for me, hits are ok (also long range). A bit of long range HE-hits easily do some 20k damage as a start. When I first got the Massachusetts I went from start right to "using the secondaries", lol...but that's not the best strategy: dont forget the Massachusetts is a very powerfull Battleship capable of doing massive AP-shell-damage. So, I now play it with priority focus on main guns (afterall, main guns do the most damage even when yr secondaries do a nice extra damage of 30-50 k damage, yr main guns are priority). Some battles yr secondaries do very good damage and some battles they do less, depends on various unpredictable circumstances. Yes, it is known that accuracy (sigma value) of Massa is somewhat slightly less than that of Alabama, but personally I do not realy experience this as realy noticable: main batteries of Massa do nice shootings for me. Long range shootings I switch HE and AP from time to time, cuz HE damage you can do with main batteries Massa is satisfying, good.

[POI--]
Players
3,197 posts
4,348 battles
19 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

I play it with main battery range 21,2 kms, so the secondaries do 9,4kms (with flag 9,9 kms); above 10 kms I noticed ya get less secondary hits anyway. Presently I play it with upgrade Propulsion Mod (makes it possible to fool around with DD's by switching yr speed, so I noticed often torps fully miss, lol) but fcaus Steering Gears Mod 2 or Damaga Control System Mod 2 are also very good options: again, thats up to the individual to decide, to play it the way that the most suits him/her (=personnal preferences). Anyway, one can easily switch and experiment with those upgrades later on.

I don't own Massachusetts, but I'm wondering...

1. How useful is the main battery range? Massa gives up accuracy and range for secondaries. If I compare it to my Bismarck, I don't even need the range upgrade on it, because long range shots are hardly ever necessary and I got a spotter plane for those. Secondary range meanwhile... With full sec spec, Massa equals the Bismarck in secondary range, with missing pieces, I feel like you are opening yourself up to potential issues. A Bismarck could actually kite you in its secondary range with you being unable to do much, until you burned down, given Bismarck also is faster.
  2. Propulsion mod helps accelerate from a standstill. Going from like 1/4 speed to full speed or from full speed to half speed, or whatever else there, is not affected by Propulsion Mod, I recommend Damage control mod, as getting set on fire at close range happens often.
  • Cool 1

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
3 hours ago, Riselotte said:

1. How useful is the main battery range? Massa gives up accuracy and range for secondaries. If I compare it to my Bismarck, I don't even need the range upgrade on it, because long range shots are hardly ever necessary and I got a spotter plane for those. Secondary range meanwhile... With full sec spec, Massa equals the Bismarck in secondary range, with missing pieces, I feel like you are opening yourself up to potential issues. A Bismarck could actually kite you in its secondary range with you being unable to do much, until you burned down, given Bismarck also is faster.
  2. Propulsion mod helps accelerate from a standstill. Going from like 1/4 speed to full speed or from full speed to half speed, or whatever else there, is not affected by Propulsion Mod, I recommend Damage control mod, as getting set on fire at close range happens often.

As I see it, experimenting with the various options for upgrades is not realy a big deal, because the upgrades can be relatively easily changed (cost not realy much credits). Players have personal preferences and play-styles that suits them somewhat more or less; depends on the individual player what he likes the best and thus performes the best for him/her. So, just get the battle experience with the different upgrade options. I described my personal preferred upgrades atm, but very well possible another player goes for other upgrades.

As to your above comments 1 + 2 I can only give you my personal experiences:

1) Playing Massachusettes you face some 50% high tier battles (almost all ships being tier 10 and some tier 9) and in those battles I realy felt that main battery range 21.2 kms is needed, so you can set fires with range shootings. Remind, Massa has detection 14,5 kms and with all those T10 + T9 ships around you can't go easily close, because the very dangerous HE-spammers T10 + T9 have often very good range, meaning: 14,5 detection...going close...dd scouts you....HE spamming begins + many BB's firing at you from range 21-23 km. So, those battles you better stay at range (depends on map) and only close in at some later stage. Actually, in those battles I realy felt it as a handycap only having range 18.2 kms. Anyway, fire-settings (and even some AP-shell-firing) from 19.5 to 21 kms is ok, I get a satisfactory number of hits.

Secondaries 9.4 (or 9.9) are ok...shells have high arcs so you don't hit much beyond 10 km anyway (yes, Atlanta can do hits beyond 10 kms, but that a totally different story, can't compare that). Bismarck doesn't have such high arcs and higher shell velocity + manual secs means: the guns aim for belt waterline (thus low). No, I faced many Bismarcks with full sec build but in my honost opnion the Bismarck with 11.3km secs is no match for the Massachusettes with 9.9: meaning, I noticed when I face a Bismarck 1-1 then Massachusetts "eats him alive" (406mm Ap-shells)...allways wins it. Kiting with a Bismarck? Not an option for Bismarch since the devastating far more powerfull 406 mm AP-shells of Massa shoot Bismarck right out of the water, meaning Bismarck looses that. In my personal experience, Bismarck only has some chance against Massa when assisted by 1 or 2 teammates (at other flank of Massa). Imo Bismarck better stays out of range of Massachusettes when it has no supporting teammates.

2) Propulsion mod? Again, depends on ones personal preferences: I myself when playing Massa I make use of islands when necessary and in that case propulsion mod is nice to have. And in practice, by changing speed more easily and faster, I noticed that I can fool around with enemy range shooters (battleships) and destroyers launching torps. Using propulsion mod and noticing so many torps totally failing to hit my Massachusettes, well, that's fun, brings a smile on my face, lol.

But, again, each player should decide for themselves, what he/she likes the most, suits him/her playstyle the best and experimenting with upgrades is quite easy, doesn't cost much credits, relatively.

So, Massachusetts is a very nice and effective, entertaining ship to play with. One has many options to "make it personal tailor-made", depends on what one prefers the most. All options are available.

• Bad 1

Players
1,371 posts
6,125 battles
6 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Got both and love(d) both:

Tirp with buff was the Bis great fall from grace. 

Massa will wreck a Bis 8/10, and I loved my Bis so that's unbiased :Smile_sad:.  You cant get away from the simple fact of those hard hitting 406 mm AP guns the Massa has and the amount on target they can throw out.

Bow-on fight

The Massa has at least 6 guns whilst angle towards your target.  The bis has 4 and are far less powerful and not the most accurate. They often bounce off the Massa sides when angled.  Plus the dipping fire of the Massa AP helps going through the deck/structure more often than not. Bis shells are more flat.  However, the Massa accuracy is awful but off set by the distance it needs to work at.  Long range firing is a painful experience and those in tier 10 games (alot) know this.  

Kite

Massa again.  Both secondary builds but here's the rub.  The Massa secondary have good angles on them like people have already stated which means that hitting the structure is much higher compared to the Bis, and even a non IFHE Massa can pen 19mm.  If the Bis has one thing its superstructure.

The Massa can then angle whilst kiting and throw 9 heavy hitting AP shells a time at the chasing bis with only 4 guns to throw back.  Give broadside to shoot 8 then gl and hope that Massa hasn't seen that coming.   All whist your secondaries are popping away because they have both better ARCS and ACCURACY then the Bis.  Main gun AP trolling you? Then switch to salt and pepper and burn it down instead.  Higher fire chance and heaver HE shells you see :cap_tea:.

If i was in a one VS One and had to choose a ship to come out ontop I would pick the Massa everytime.  A disciplined Bis going in a straight line, not turning to shoot rear, would catch up with a Massa but by the time it gets there it's in a bad way 9/10.  It needs to get that powerful flat AP salvo into the juicy side citadel of the Massa, chasing a ship isnt going to get you that anytime soon.

That's not saying the Bis is bad, not in the slightest as it's a fantastic bawling ship.  And if the Bis manages to get round the Massa then it's toast as the Bis turtle back and all that. Or popping out behind an island and really get into him then the Massa is gonna feel the pain.  But the Massa really had to mess up not to see that coming and putting himself in that position. 

The Massa still has alot of weakness and far far from OP.  Doing on average 18,000 more Damage, 300.00 more XP in the Massa then the Bis and only played 23 games in the Massa. 

Enjoy both but IMHO the massa is better.  Then again the Alabama was my go-to tier 8 BB anyway so fit right into the Massa.

Bloody tier 8 MM ay :Smile_teethhappy:, no good for inaccurate BB's that can get both spotted from the moon and spammed to death.  Rather be in a cruiser :Smile_hiding:

[POI--]
Players
3,197 posts
4,348 battles
3 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

As I see it, experimenting with the various options for upgrades is not realy a big deal, because the upgrades can be relatively easily changed (cost not realy much credits). Players have personal preferences and play-styles that suits them somewhat more or less; depends on the individual player what he likes the best and thus performes the best for him/her. So, just get the battle experience with the different upgrade options. I described my personal preferred upgrades atm, but very well possible another player goes for other upgrades.

As to your above comments 1 + 2 I can only give you my personal experiences:

1) Playing Massachusettes you face some 50% high tier battles (almost all ships being tier 10 and some tier 9) and in those battles I realy felt that main battery range 21.2 kms is needed, so you can set fires with range shootings. Remind, Massa has detection 14,5 kms and with all those T10 + T9 ships around you can't go easily close, because the very dangerous HE-spammers T10 + T9 have often very good range, meaning: 14,5 detection...going close...dd scouts you....HE spamming begins + many BB's firing at you from range 21-23 km. So, those battles you better stay at range (depends on map) and only close in at some later stage. Actually, in those battles I realy felt it as a handycap only having range 18.2 kms. Anyway, fire-settings (and even some AP-shell-firing) from 19.5 to 21 kms is ok, I get a satisfactory number of hits.

Secondaries 9.4 (or 9.9) are ok...shells have high arcs so you don't hit much beyond 10 km anyway (yes, Atlanta can do hits beyond 10 kms, but that a totally different story, can't compare that). Bismarck doesn't have such high arcs and higher shell velocity + manual secs means: the guns aim for belt waterline (thus low). No, I faced many Bismarcks with full sec build but in my honost opnion the Bismarck with 11.3km secs is no match for the Massachusettes with 9.9: meaning, I noticed when I face a Bismarck 1-1 then Massachusetts "eats him alive" (406mm Ap-shells)...allways wins it. Kiting with a Bismarck? Not an option for Bismarch since the devastating far more powerfull 406 mm AP-shells of Massa shoot Bismarck right out of the water, meaning Bismarck looses that. In my personal experience, Bismarck only has some chance against Massa when assisted by 1 or 2 teammates (at other flank of Massa). Imo Bismarck better stays out of range of Massachusettes when it has no supporting teammates.

2) Propulsion mod? Again, depends on ones personal preferences: I myself when playing Massa I make use of islands when necessary and in that case propulsion mod is nice to have. And in practice, by changing speed more easily and faster, I noticed that I can fool around with enemy range shooters (battleships) and destroyers launching torps. Using propulsion mod and noticing so many torps totally failing to hit my Massachusettes, well, that's fun, brings a smile on my face, lol.

But, again, each player should decide for themselves, what he/she likes the most, suits him/her playstyle the best and experimenting with upgrades is quite easy, doesn't cost much credits, relatively.

So, Massachusetts is a very nice and effective, entertaining ship to play with. One has many options to "make it personal tailor-made", depends on what one prefers the most. All options are available.

1. Why are you shooting HE at long ranges? This isn't some RN BB. Please load AP. If you shoot angled targets, sure, HE does better, but why are you shooting angled targets 21 km away? That's like the greatest waste of your time and salvos I could possibly imagine. And Bismarck hits things at max range, Massa should easily hit something at max range.
  2. Propulsion mod does not at all help unless you actually stop your ship in the water. Are you stopping your entire ship randomly?
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

Got both and love(d) both:

Tirp with buff was the Bis great fall from grace. 

Hydro > Torps. Yes, Tirpitz is better BB brawler, but in all other situations I prefer the hydro, ranging from being able to go after DDs without great fear to being able to engage cruisers or torp-armed BBs with less risk. I considered buying Tirpitz, but giving up the hydro is just not very appealing.

For the rest of the post, good analysis, however, I'd argue that it might fall a bit flat, if like the person before you, you only have 9.4 km secondaries. In which case Bismarck very much is able to just kite you and while sure, you may do damage to an angled Bismarck, without the secondary advantage, that Bismarck is going to be a royal pain.

And yes, the HE outperforms German HE, but I don't see it killing a Bismarck fast enough to not pointlessly lose health in the process.

Players
1,371 posts
6,125 battles
6 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Hydro > Torps. Yes, Tirpitz is better BB brawler, but in all other situations I prefer the hydro, ranging from being able to go after DDs without great fear to being able to engage cruisers or torp-armed BBs with less risk. I considered buying Tirpitz, but giving up the hydro is just not very appealing.

Horses for courses mate.  BB VS BB then the Tirps, BB vs DD then Bis, BB vs CA then either and BB VS CV Bis everytime :Smile_smile: .  But that's just an opinion tho and cant generalise it as it's ship dependant.

Although your still gonna eat deep water torps when you least expect it and hydro doesn't last forever. Both are good ships anyway.  The Bismarck is a friendly BB to use.

15 minutes ago, Riselotte said:
  1. For the rest of the post, good analysis, however, I'd argue that it might fall a bit flat, if like the person before you, you only have 9.4 km secondaries. In which case Bismarck very much is able to just kite you and while sure, you may do damage to an angled Bismarck, without the secondary advantage, that Bismarck is going to be a royal pain.

Just the same as saying if the Bismarck player only has 9.4 km secondaries too :cap_tea:.  Both are normally spec for secondary.  The Massa even more so else you would just buy the Alabama or NC instead (both more competitive) :Smile-_tongue:.   A Bismarck is always a pain but what ship isn't? The point is that royal pain will be sinking fast than the other royal pain. :Smile_teethhappy:

Some Bis players go for pure tank builds instead as they have seen the high tier light (meta).  Something completely wasted on the Massa.  

10 minutes ago, Riselotte said:
  1. And yes, the HE outperforms German HE, but I don't see it killing a Bismarck fast enough to not pointlessly lose health in the process.

Two BBs smashing it out will always loose health regardless.  Pointless or not, the Bis will be dead and the Massa still standing regardless of how much damage it's taken.  Only difference is the Victor can heal it up with the loser still sinking.  Remember, the Massa has the "SUPER SUPER QUICK HEAL" which makes sure its not the first one going down. 

WG knew that the Massa would really struggle in tier 10 games (which we all know we see alot) due to it's 1) god awful concealment and 2) Horrendous accuracy at range.  ShortMid/Short range is a must to do any meaning full damage with it's main guns.  But to get their in high teir meta is normally suicide unless you are very careful into getting into island hugging position. Open water and you are toast my friend. 

IMHO the most important thing a tier 8 ship has to have to really shine in a tier 10 game is concealment and hopefully gun range.  The Massa, bless it's little heart hasn't got any of them or even close.  Even the Bis has more range! :Smile_teethhappy:

Just saying that all things being equal, the Massa will come out on top. 

[POI--]
Players
3,197 posts
4,348 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

Horses for courses mate.  BB VS BB then the Tirps, BB vs DD then Bis, BB vs CA then either and BB VS CV Bis everytime :Smile_smile: .  But that's just an opinion tho and cant generalise it as it's ship dependant.

Although your still gonna eat deep water torps when you least expect it and hydro doesn't last forever. Both are good ships anyway.  The Bismarck is a friendly BB to use.

Honestly, I don't eat torps too often in my BBs. Dunno if it's just good preemptive maneuvering or what, but Bisko hydro I love, because it allows me to push DDs and help contest caps if needed. Given Bismarck's main battery is among the poorest at her tier, I consider the ship to have to make up for it in game impact by playing a closer support role and it works out well.

4 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Just the same as saying if the Bismarck player only has 9.4 km secondaries too :cap_tea:.  Both are normally spec for secondary.  The Massa even more so else you would just buy the Alabama or NC instead (both more competitive) :Smile-_tongue:.   A Bismarck is always a pain but what ship isn't? The point is that royal pain will be sinking fast than the other royal pain. :Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah, but my point is, why would you half spec your Massachusetts?

5 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Some Bis players go for pure tank builds instead as they have seen the high tier light (meta).  Something completely wasted on the Massa.  

I really don't like the ships after Bismarck, but I started to run secondaries on FdG, just because the ship just isn't good in most respects. and tanking with crappy weaponry requires your team to capitalise on that.

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
16 hours ago, Riselotte said:
  1. Why are you shooting HE at long ranges? This isn't some RN BB. Please load AP. If you shoot angled targets, sure, HE does better, but why are you shooting angled targets 21 km away? That's like the greatest waste of your time and salvos I could possibly imagine. And Bismarck hits things at max range, Massa should easily hit something at max range.
  2. Propulsion mod does not at all help unless you actually stop your ship in the water. Are you stopping your entire ship randomly?

1) Doing some HE-shelling long range (18-21 kms) on enemy BB's actually does overall nice fire-damage. I myself when long range firing switch between HE<-->AP depending circumstances. Anyway, I noticed re long range shootings that overall HE-shells do only slight lower damage than AP (lots of shells bounce) and HE does damage to enemy modules (= translates to extra XP/Credits/Ribbons) + not to forget: HE-shells have 803 shell velocity (AP = 701 m/s). So, imo and experience: doing from time to time some HE-Shelling as a switch = ok, does nice extra damage.

2) I personally experience using the Propulsion Mod 2 as very pleasant while playing: kind of gives the ship nice accelleration power; feels good/nice + enables you to fool around with DD-torp-launches. And yes: I switch speed from time to time (when detected) form max<-----> reverse engine; this realy fools around with enemy range BB-shooters. Secondly I kind of feel changing direction of Massa with 50% higher accelleration goes faster (more engine power while turning). Handling of Massachusetts with Prop Mod 2 feels nice, very pleasant , especially considering Massa is not a very big ship  + has turnining-circle-radius 710 metres (=nice!). Making good use of flank protection (islands) goes far more smooth when having Prop. Mod. 2

Last: as to fire-spammings between say a Massa vs Bismarck I have to point out that you seem to overlook the fact that Massachusettes besides strong/accurate 9.9 kms secondaries (and heavier shells, guns) possesses a second very, very important asset: 5x Repair Party with 40 secs cooldown(!)...that 50% faster than ships normally have. About secondaries: I played them with 11.3 km range (lots of battles) and now with my preferred 9,4 (or 9,9 with flag) and in practice I notice that secondaries do almost same amount of damage (damage done by secs is very situational, depends on varying circumstances anyway).

Range 21,2 km for main guns is realy necessary, since you face some 50% of battles filled with tier 10 and (some) tier 9 ships; Massa has 14,5 km conceilment and 18,2 kms range in such battles I experienced as a serious handycap (I kind of felt - while playing those T10 battles - kind of "empty-handed", can't realy do much but wait with 18,2 km only, while seeing other battleships doing hits range 19-23 km shooting. So, I myself prefer playing with 21,2 km range. Feels OK.

But again, the above is according my personal experiences/preferences: up to others to experiment with the several upgrades themselves, to experience what they themselves like the most. So, play around a bit with the various upgrades, switch them to get the experience (doesn't cost much credits anyway) to see what you like the most. All options are available, up to you to decide what you like the most, easy

• Bad 1

[POI--]
Players
3,197 posts
4,348 battles
6 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

1) Doing some HE-shelling long range (18-21 kms) on enemy BB's actually does overall nice fire-damage. I myself when long range firing switch between HE<-->AP depending circumstances. Anyway, I noticed re long range shootings that overall HE-shells do only slight lower damage than AP (lots of shells bounce) and HE does damage to enemy modules (= translates to extra XP/Credits/Ribbons) + not to forget: HE-shells have 803 shell velocity (AP = 701 m/s). So, imo and experience: doing from time to time some HE-Shelling as a switch = ok, does nice extra damage.

2) I personally experience using the Propulsion Mod 2 as very pleasant while playing: kind of gives the ship nice accelleration power; feels good/nice + enables you to fool around with DD-torp-launches. And yes: I switch speed from time to time (when detected) form max<-----> reverse engine; this realy fools around with enemy range BB-shooters. Secondly I kind of feel changing direction of Massa with 50% higher accelleration goes faster (more engine power while turning). Handling of Massachusetts with Prop Mod 2 feels nice, very pleasant , especially considering Massa is not a very big ship  + has turnining-circle-radius 710 metres (=nice!). Making good use of flank protection (islands) goes far more smooth when having Prop. Mod. 2

Last: as to fire-spammings between say a Massa vs Bismarck I have to point out that you seem to overlook the fact that Massachusettes besides strong/accurate 9.9 kms secondaries (and heavier shells, guns) possesses a second very, very important asset: 5x Repair Party with 40 secs cooldown(!)...that 50% faster than ships normally have. About secondaries: I played them with 11.3 km range (lots of battles) and now with my preferred 9,4 (or 9,9 with flag) and in practice I notice that secondaries do almost same amount of damage (damage done by secs is very situational, depends on varying circumstances anyway).

Range 21,2 km for main guns is realy necessary, since you face some 50% of battles filled with tier 10 and (some) tier 9 ships; Massa has 14,5 km conceilment and 18,2 kms range in such battles I experienced as a serious handycap (I kind of felt - while playing those T10 battles - kind of "empty-handed", can't realy do much but wait with 18,2 km only, while seeing other battleships doing hits range 19-23 km shooting. So, I myself prefer playing with 21,2 km range. Feels OK.

But again, the above is according my personal experiences/preferences: up to others to experiment with the several upgrades themselves, to experience what they themselves like the most. So, play around a bit with the various upgrades, switch them to get the experience (doesn't cost much credits anyway) to see what you like the most. All options are available, up to you to decide what you like the most, easy

1. Frankly, if you find no target for AP within 21 km of you, where on the friggin map are you? Surely not where you should be in a brawling-type BB. And sure, everyone once in a while has no targets in sight, but if such is a regular enough occurance in your ship that you need to get Artillery Plotting Room 1, I think you are fundamentally mispositioned, just like your ammunition choice is questionable when you have access to the American AP shells.
  2. That is not how propulsion mod works, as it basically just provides acceleration below around 6 knots. You basically don't get any bonus engine power in a turn or such. If you have any pleasant experiences, that's placebo with Massa's base engine power.
  3. On your last point, a secondary specced Bismarck that realises you have no full secondary spec can kite you at 10.5 km and screw you over with secondaries raining down and torching you for a good part of your hp before you can kill it. And sure, you might have 5 (4 without SI) repair parties, but you still are wasting potential health.

Lastly, have you ever heard of the spotter aircraft? Just for the few long-range shots you might ever want to take in one of the least accurate BBs at T8?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:
  1. Frankly, if you find no target for AP within 21 km of you, where on the friggin map are you? Surely not where you should be in a brawling-type BB. And sure, everyone once in a while has no targets in sight, but if such is a regular enough occurance in your ship that you need to get Artillery Plotting Room 1, I think you are fundamentally mispositioned, just like your ammunition choice is questionable when you have access to the American AP shells.
  2. That is not how propulsion mod works, as it basically just provides acceleration below around 6 knots. You basically don't get any bonus engine power in a turn or such. If you have any pleasant experiences, that's placebo with Massa's base engine power.
  3. On your last point, a secondary specced Bismarck that realises you have no full secondary spec can kite you at 10.5 km and screw you over with secondaries raining down and torching you for a good part of your hp before you can kill it. And sure, you might have 5 (4 without SI) repair parties, but you still are wasting potential health.

Lastly, have you ever heard of the spotter aircraft? Just for the few long-range shots you might ever want to take in one of the least accurate BBs at T8?

The objective of my opening this thread was actaully about informing other players that Massachusetts is a real nice and very entertaining premium ship to play with: it has lots of options (so, one can make it personal tailor-made, suiting ones personal preferences) and the ship does very nice damage overall + makes very, very nice Nett credit earnings + good XP and the ships is simply very, very entertaining to play with. Personally I much liked almost all battles I played with it. That's actually what this thread is all about: a message to other players that this is indeed a very nice ship to have.

I also play Nelson(VII) which plays different but is same high quality entertainment overall, also very nice ship. When I personally compare Massachusetts (VIII) to my personal experiences with Lion (IX) and Conqueror (X) than my personal opinion is that whereas Massa has overall almost always high quality entertaing battles both Lion and Conqueror I experience(d) as very dull and very boring ships to play with. Lion (IX) I got rid off, such a boring ship and atm I play Conqueror (X)...and although doing high damage in it I simply experienced all battles I played sofar with Conqueror as very dull and very boring, no entertainment value in it, even when you end place 1-3 all the time with high scores: bit of the same all the time...range shooting..range shooting...fire settings...kind of doing dull and very boring "forced labour". So, I just decided to get rid of Conqueror also, not worth my time playing it.

BUT Massachusettes (VIII), that a complete different experience: great entertainment, nice fights, ship has many options, handles very nice...in short investing 20 minutes in playing battles with Massachusetts I allways much enjoyed, real great entertainment value.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion about Massachusetts: GREAT PREMIUM SHIP...so..I thought I let others know. That was actually the reason I started this thread: to let others know. And HOW players are preferring to play it, well, that's a total different issue, different players have different preferences and all options to make it tailor-made are there, available.

Was last message of mine in this thread, since by now people already know that Massa is a real great ship. Thanks to all for their constructive and well intended input. And now, I gonna focus playing, lol...bye

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this