You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GhostRider_24

Moskva

31 comments in this topic

Players
750 posts
2,967 battles

I have a question about Moskva....why does it need a 50mm bow and stern? I dont recall it doing to badly before?

This isnt a rant or anything im just curious.

[MORSE]
Players
243 posts
601 battles

Devs think not enough Russian bias for ship :P

jokes aside they said that they saw the stats on the Moskva is low(although it is mostly because it is a hard to play battleship sized cruiser) so they try to improve it into a bow on fighter according to them, will see if I can find patch notes for it later.

edit: found it. Look under balance changes tab:

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/updates/update-076-night-battle/

although it does mean that now stalinuim beats nippon steel(Yamato cannot lolpen it on the lower bow area, but still can do so on the upper bow area)

Edited by howardxu_23

Players
750 posts
2,967 battles
4 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Devs think not enough Russian bias for ship :P

jokes aside they said that they saw the stats on the Moskva is low(although it is mostly because it is a hard to play battleship sized cruiser) so they try to improve it into a bow on fighter according to them, will see if I can find patch notes for it later.

although it does mean that now stalinuim beats nippon steel(Yamato cannot lolpen it on the lower bow area, but still can do so on the upper bow area)

Interesting. Must be honest im only really asking because I was only managing to get 2-3k salvos on one in a battle with my yama. I was shooting from around 15k so in theory plunging fire should have been a thing? That said I suspect RNG was messing with me xD ended up just shooting at easier targets in the end.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

Take your pick:

• Russian bias
  • The only reason why bow-on Moskva was harder to devstrike than a broadside Moskva was that bow-on it's a smaller target to hit
  • Plausible excuse for some stuff on upcoming VMF ships

19 minutes ago, GhostRider_24 said:

Must be honest im only really asking because I was only managing to get 2-3k salvos on one in a battle with my yama. I was shooting from around 15k so in theory plunging fire should have been a thing? That said I suspect RNG was messing with me xD ended up just shooting at easier targets in the end.

Yamatos flat arcs could have a lot to do with it. You have to shoot the upper half of the hull now, and there's nothing important behind that. Don't really play the Yamato tho, so that's just a guess

For Montana, which I happen to use way more frequently, I can put it like this:

• At long range you always bounced on the deck, it's the same now
  • At mid ranges you always could do good damage, it's the same now
  • At close ranges you used to be able to score multi-cits through the bow, now you can just see how many shells can you bounce in 1 salvo
  • Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,335 posts
12,570 battles
33 minutes ago, GhostRider_24 said:

I have a question about Moskva....why does it need a 50mm bow and stern? I dont recall it doing to badly before?

This isnt a rant or anything im just curious.

Moskva was semi hard to play well before the buff. You had to angle correctly and protect ur nose. Now you can just put ur nose at the enemy and you can tank for days. 

shot-18_07.20_00_50.36-0621.thumb.jpg.a00d3d7f7b8d88b32c30fe9bdfa82589.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
750 posts
2,967 battles
17 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Yamatos flat arcs could have a lot to do with it. You have to shoot the upper half of the hull now, and there's nothing important behind that. Don't really play the Yamato tho, so that's just a guess

For Montana, which I happen to use way more frequently, I can put it like this:

• At long range you always bounced on the deck, it's the same now
  • At mid ranges you always could do good damage, it's the same now
  • At close ranges you used to be able to score multi-cits through the bow, now you can just see how many shells can you bounce in 1 salvo

That could well be it. I have managed to citadel Moskva's with Montana at range so its most likely my aim with Yama which in all honesty I've only recently started playing again after a long break from her.

17 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Moskva was semi hard to play well before the buff. You had to angle correctly and protect ur nose. Now you can just put ur nose at the enemy and you can tank for days. 

Yea a few of my fellow clan mates are saying this too.

At any rate I think I need to get back into the groove with yama :D

Edit: should really look at playing though the Russian Cruiser line at some point.

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles
54 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

shot-18_07.20_00_50.36-0621.thumb.jpg.a00d3d7f7b8d88b32c30fe9bdfa82589.jpg

Jesus. What did you do to your Yamato?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,335 posts
12,570 battles
25 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Jesus. What did you do to your Yamato?

Haha. He sailed passed me just when i fired at a GKF. Nailed he's smokestack for 5k with one salvo. :Smile_hiding:

You know, because the Yamato obviously was full HP and unsaturated whilst i was being shelled by a few hundred AP shells. 

• Funny 1

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles
1 minute ago, MortenTardo said:

Haha. He sailed passed me just when i fired at a GKF. Nailed he's smokestack for 5k with one salvo. :Smile_hiding:

You know, because the Yamato obviously was full HP and unsaturated whilst i was being shelled by a few hundred AP shells. 

Naturally :Smile_teethhappy: 

• Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,690 posts
13,130 battles
2 hours ago, GhostRider_24 said:

I was shooting from around 15k so in theory plunging fire should have been a thing?

Angle of fall for Yama shells at 15km is a mere 11°, which gets normalized against you if you hit the bow and not the deck armor.

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

It does not have a 50mm bow, only the bottom part of it is. The upper is still at 25mm. And since when does it have 25mm stern? Did you just read some forum post about the old patch notes that got changed and never bothered to double-check? :)

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,789 posts
6,431 battles

This buff was the stupidest they could do, so they obviously went ahead with it.

Behold ! A cruiser that was slightly difficult to play can now just bow-tank and get away with it ! Instead of buffing the concealment to makes it more confortable, they just added the retardproof option ! 

[BOATY]
Players
416 posts
7,479 battles
25 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

This buff was the stupidest they could do, so they obviously went ahead with it.

Behold ! A cruiser that was slightly difficult to play can now just bow-tank and get away with it ! Instead of buffing the concealment to makes it more confortable, they just added the retardproof option ! 

You can bow tank only BB peasants that will aim at waterline. Aiming in upper 1/2 of the bow will result in a quite punishing penetrations. 

[UTW]
7,789 posts
6,431 battles
Just now, Episparh said:

You can bow tank only BB peasants that will aim at waterline. Aiming in upper 1/2 of the bow will result in a quite punishing penetrations. 

Yup, I know. Last time a Mokva tried bow-tanking my Yamato, that ended quite badly for him.

But here's the thing : most BBs are BB peasants.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,553 battles
21 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

My thougts.. The moskva didn't need the armor buff, but actually needed a little bit concealment and a little bit agility buff..

But without nerfing the guns, a more stealth and agile moskva would be OP.. then they decide to buff to armor to reduce the punishment it gets..

The thing is, If you start bow tanking more than 1 ships.. you are commited.. unless you find an island to get behind..

If you are out in the open.. the only thing you can do is sail backwards and bow tank.. and wait for them to rush on you and torp...

You generally lose 1v1 bow tanking fest against a desmo or a hindi.. and a zao If the captain is good..

[BOATY]
Players
416 posts
7,479 battles
22 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

My thougts.. The moskva didn't need the armor buff, but actually needed a little bit concealment and a little bit agility buff..

But without nerfing the guns, a more stealth and agile moskva would be OP.. then they decide to buff to armor to reduce the punishment it gets..

The thing is, If you start bow tanking more than 1 ships.. you are commited.. unless you find an island to get behind..

If you are out in the open.. the only thing you can do is sail backwards and bow tank.. and wait for them to rush on you and torp...

You generally lose 1v1 bow tanking fest against a desmo or a hindi.. and a zao If the captain is good..

1 to 1 vs Hindi is questionable. 

Zao will definitely loose 1 to 1 vs Moskva - not enough rate of fire. 

The armor belt buff is supposed to help her in close engagement. 

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,553 battles
21 minutes ago, Episparh said:

1 to 1 vs Hindi is questionable. 

Zao will definitely loose 1 to 1 vs Moskva - not enough rate of fire. 

The armor belt buff is supposed to help her in close engagement. 

If you ask me, the questionable one is zao,

Hindi is not..

hindi will push you.. and will torp you with that great arcs..

there is nothing you can do to that...

and with german HE....

[REEA]
Players
444 posts
15,641 battles
19 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

If you're bow-tanking in a Hinden or Zao for extended periods and you're not rushing someone down (in the Hinden) most likely something's gone wrong to begin with.

If i may, a question to the VMF-BB pros, would you advocate for a more aggressive positioning after the buff or roughly stay at the same distances as before ?

The extra plating smells like a trap for overaggressive morons like me ;)

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,553 battles
1 minute ago, rnat said:

If you're bow-tanking in a Hinden or Zao for extended periods and you're not rushing someone down (in the Hinden) most likely something's gone wrong to begin with.

If i may, a question to the VMF-BB pros, would you advocate for a more aggressive positioning after the buff or roughly stay at the same distances as before ?

I can't say I am a good Moskva captain,

but in general, I try to stay at distance for a while, find a good spot behind an island to stick my nose out angled..

If that is the main attack front for the enemy.. I stay there or change a little positions quite a long time in the battle.

If not,

according to the battle progression I will go out and start to push... from the flank or from the back of the enemy.

My criteria is,

If I am targeted by more than 2 ships.. I am in a wrong position in Moskva..

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

I don't think she needed any changes at all. What @Excavatus said is true though. She could be easily committed to bow tanking multiple ships and became succeptable to being rushed. I generally don't like all the invincibility buffs added to the game. German bb turtle back I can understand, but the things a Hindenburg can get away with in cyclones, provided she doesn't expose her barbettes, is wow nasty. 

While I consider many bb aspects stupid, a cruiser should have no business within 6km of the class hard countering it. I never considered the communist to be weak, 50mm bow. .... over the top in my book. I do enjoy her quite more than the zao though, even before the changes. 

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,553 battles
1 minute ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

I don't think she needed any changes at all. What @Excavatus said is true though. She could be easily committed to bow tanking multiple ships and became succeptable to being rushed. I generally don't like all the invincibility buffs added to the game. German bb turtle back I can understand, but the things a Hindenburg can get away with in cyclones, provided she doesn't expose her barbettes, is wow nasty. 

While I consider many bb aspects stupid, a cruiser should have no business within 6km of the class hard countering it. I never considered the communist to be weak, 50mm bow. .... over the top in my book. I do enjoy her quite more than the zao though, even before the changes. 

Yeah..

I can't remember the times that a cruiser with Torps rushed me fast..

Even intelligent tirpitz captains will rush to torp you..

IMO, they gave a great buff to MOSKVA which killed the flexibility of the ship even more..

Rightnow everyone and their grandmother just sits next to an island looking through to a cap.. and fire 6 HE shells in every 10 seconds..

I prefer hindi much much more.. because she is way more versatile!

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles
1 minute ago, Excavatus said:

I prefer hindi much much more.. because she is way more versatile!

Now that is a ship that actually could do with a little nerfing.

[UTW]
7,789 posts
6,431 battles
18 minutes ago, rnat said:

The extra plating makes you a complete monster when ambushing BBs. The issue is more about getting there with your gigantic concealment. But once you're a close range, and provided you're not against a very good player (that will just go through your upper plating), you can completely wreck any BB at close range. Except maybe République that can outmaneuver you.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,553 battles
56 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Now that is a ship that actually could do with a little nerfing.

INFIDEL!!!!

I've just bought her last night.. and played 9 battles in total!!!

NO NERF!! NOO!!

She has been hit by the nerf hammer recently!

Don't touch her..

Pleeeeaaassseeee!!!

[SCRUB]
Players
816 posts
7,098 battles

The other thing is, the buffs came at the same time as the Hindy nerf, meaning Moskva with 220's now reloads faster than a Hindy with 203's.

Also for those who don't know, the Hindy wasn't nerfed, the guns were, so the same nerf affects the Roon as well - but for some reason no one has picked up on that it seems.