You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

Where do you shoot to gain the most effectiveness?

8 comments in this topic

Question

[MORSE]
Players
243 posts
595 battles

Just looking for some additional tips on aiming on specific parts of the ship to gain the most benifit(I can calculate lead aready). Had a Helena run into a island, showing full broadside, I aimed at it, fired and got 5 bloody overpens.(fuso)

And on the other hand, deleted a New Orleans who is bow in to me.(fuso)

Where do you guys usually aim at to deal as much damage as possible? Currrently from my experience(t6 mm as of now) bow in or semi angled (more then 45 degrees) cruisers yields more reliable damage than even broadside ones, vs BBs pretty much all over the place, 

7 answers to this question

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,195 posts
11,002 battles

Against lightly armored broadside cruisers, you will often get overpens. Them being angled makes shells travel a longer path through them so they arm inside more often and yield less overpens. To get less overpens on broadsides, you have to aim slightly below the waterline. The water will slow the shells down and they can detonate inside the ship and give normal pens or even citas instead of overpens.

[OMNI]
Players
97 posts
11,926 battles

"In Theory"

Go to the armor viewer, and study your possible targets. What you look for is parts, that are over-matched by your caliber.

The typical BB vs Cruiser:

If they are paperthin, then:

1) you wait till they angle a bit so you get full pen dmg.

2) you aim for the barbette of the front turrets (and citadel), so if your shells land high they hit extra armor and not overpen

To effectively hit the broadside, you wait till he commits some turn, and then shoot so that you catch him on the turn (and the shells must land the moment he will be perfect broadside). And you aim for the waterline

If he is giving broadside, (depending on the distance) if you shoot he will dodge, so you aim either high or low (i pref high(part on belt) because most ppl dodge away, but if he is a monkey and doesnt pay attention, i still hit the belt).

The problem on the waterline is, that some shells will land below the point you aimed and you can completely miss. But if you aim slightly high, the high shells will overpen.

with crap RNG there is a chance you will miss fully (even if you aimed well). But ofc the risk pays off sometimes

===

on BB vs BB:

never underestimate superstructure/highbelt/gun shots. You want to be hitting the belt only on perfect broadsides. (at times he wont bounce them off)

but then again (especially for Fuso) you should hunt cruisers first than angled battleships.

That said so, nothing is consistent.

And i know i said, aimed for angled ships, but depending on the distance, enemy can dodge better and easier the more they use the vertical axis (because of the camera). Unless you use the spotter plane (but it also requires to be more precise when predicting dodges)

PS: Dont forget to sacrifice a goat to RNG

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,529 posts
6,365 battles
34 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Had a Helena run into a island, showing full broadside, I aimed at it, fired and got 5 bloody overpens.(fuso)

And on the other hand, deleted a New Orleans who is bow in to me.(fuso)

That's just BB RNG for you. Sometimes enemies can do the stupidest things and get away with it, other times the only mistake they make is picking a cruiser and you delete them. That's how it is on every BB.

In general - citadel shots (misdships, waterline-ish) are what you want. If it's something like a German BB that you aren't going to citadel anyway - upper belt for more hits to hopefully get more pens.

But in general - with BBs it simply is going to be all over the place

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,781 posts
11,520 battles
8 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

To get less overpens on broadsides, you have to aim slightly below the waterline. The water will slow the shells down and they can detonate inside the ship and give normal pens or even citas instead of overpens.

""In theory"" :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[MORSE]
Players
243 posts
595 battles
28 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

""In theory"" :cap_cool:

*looks at fuso from kantai collection*

*looks at my luck so far*

yeaaaaaaaa................:Smile_hiding:

German BB that you aren't going to citadel anyway

I did once, but that was when I’m still in kongo, and nailed a barayn in its citadel, but that was from 20km away so I say plunging fire did its part.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,529 posts
6,365 battles
13 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

I did once, but that was when I’m still in kongo, and nailed a barayn in its citadel, but that was from 20km away so I say plunging fire did its part.

By "German BB that you aren't going to citadel anyway" I meant "German BB that you aren't going to citadel anyway, unless, once in a blue moon, RNG finds that 1 magical spot where your shell somehow manages to go through and citadel them" - but I thought that's too long to write :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,122 posts
2,181 battles
On 7/23/2018 at 6:44 PM, howardxu_23 said:

Where do you guys usually aim at to deal as much damage as possible? Currrently from my experience(t6 mm as of now) bow in or semi angled (more then 45 degrees) cruisers yields more reliable damage than even broadside ones, vs BBs pretty much all over the place, 

Sorry but there isn't an easy or quick answer to this.

It depends on the ship, or the line in general that you are aiming at, and on the ship you are sailing. You need to learn the general armour layouts of all ships, and understand what your guns can penetrate, as well as where the enemy citadels are, and if you can actually get to them. Also the ballistics of how your shells travel to target have a big part to play, as you will get different effects at different ranges.

A good thing to do is as you get a new ship, take her in the training room and put up a load of inactive target bots of ships you have difficulty damaging. Try firing at different ranges and angles and see what gets you the citadels and damage we all want. Also watch somebody like Flamu on youtube for his review of your ship and how to play her to get the most from it.

Sorry  but basically you need to learn the game meta. I've been playing casually for over a year and I still have lots to learn.

• Cool 1