You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AmiralPotato

Which ship upgrades (modifications) are worth it in Arsenal ?

17 comments in this topic

[WTFNO]
Players
149 posts
3,801 battles

Hi there,

With the introduction of the Arsenal, ship upgrades (mods) are now available for coal.

I admit I was quite disappointed to find that these actually take the slot of an existing upgrade.

So I wonder, are any of them actually useful, and for which kind of ship / build ?

Thanks !

DCP (slot 1, VI-X ships): +40% duration

Spotting (slot 1, VI-X BB/cruisers): +30% duration

Radar (slot 2, IX-X DD/cruisers): +20% duration

Hydro (slot 2, VI-X DD/cruisers): +20% duration

DefAA (slot 2, VIII-X ships): +20% duration

Engine (slot 2, VI-X DD/cruisers, VIII-X BB): +50% duration

Smoke (slot 3, VI-X DD/cruisers): +30% duration of generator, -5% duration for each cloud

Beta Tester
3,626 posts
6,498 battles

the usefulness of these special modules depend heavily on the ships you want to use them for

(except the DCP-module... that is utterly crap and no one uses it)

my personal opinion:

• Radar: good for russian and US cruisers (Moskva, Des Moines)
  • Spotter plane: good for long range sniping cruisers (Hindenburg, Molotov)
  • Smoke: only good for pan-asia ships like the Perth and the DD (Perth)
  • Hydro: good for ships with longrange Hydro like top german DDs (Z-52)
  • DefAA: suitable for US cruiser
  • Engine: almost every DD and the french top tier CA and BB
  • Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles

Any slot 2 upgrade is useful, because slot 2 is kind of the least useful of all slots for normal modules and these modules improve the effectiveness of key consumables.

Spotter plane is useful only on ships that really need spotter plane. Perth would be an example. Smoke also has Perth or any ship with Perth-style smoke, as these ships get their smoke duration from continuously buffing out smoke for over a minute, while buffs only last a short time. So, having it buff out smoke longer, while the buffs last shorter is not bad. For regular smoke, smoke mod is terrible.

DCP... situational. Only real use is to extent uptime on something like a BB, to try fool carriers that actually wait out DCP. But that's too situational, imo.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,562 posts
6,392 battles
58 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

Radar (slot 2):

Spotting (slot 1):

DCP (slot 1):

Smoke (slot 3):

Hydro (slot 2):

DefAA (slot 2):

Engine (slot 2):

- got nerfed, still good on probably every ship that can use it

- very underrated, then again there aren't many ships that actually need / want this

- probably no, maybe part of a troll t6 / t7 CV build

- meh, but then again in slot 3 there usually in't anything particularly bright to pick so... maybe?

- longer hydro - same as radar it's an obvious benefit

- I'd say a no, especially on CVs. You probably want your next DefAA to be ready sooner, and extending the duration of current one... don't think it's worth it

- Yes for French CAs. Most likely yes on French BBs. Other ships.... no idea, I mean if you have that many of them... maybe

• Cool 1

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,978 posts
4,962 battles

Much better post that the steam forums one, asking if it was a good idea to install smoke generator on gneisenau.

DCP module sits in yamato, repair duration in IJN ships is terrible.

The rest has already been expanded upon.

• Funny 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,120 posts
11,289 battles

I actually use DCP on a few selected ships (simply because I got them for free in supercontainers). BB main guns do not tend to break that often, however bringing the immunity timer from 20 seconds to 28 seconds in an american BB does help you a lot, especially if you want to go stealth again and can't take another fire.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,235 posts
7,078 battles
1 hour ago, principat121 said:
  • Smoke: only good for pan-asia commonwealth ships like the Perth and the DD (Perth)Haida (Vampire doesn't get that kind of smoke)

FTFY ;D

Also I may add:

Smoke is also an option if you really want that bigger smokescreen on ships that rely on it like RN CLs and US DDs

Hydro is a MUST if you own a Lo Yang

Radar and Hydro are the most useful ones as they significantly increse the power of the ships that can use it.

Speedboost is also a very nice bonus if you own a lot of DDs or are invested in the french tree

Def AA is also ok i guess if you own lots of heavy AA cruisers

The rest is mostly certain ships that profit from it or highly situational to just meh (DCP)

[SCRUB]
Players
676 posts
7,178 battles

The Spood Beast one is just amazing for Ruskie DD gunboats.... Trashcan or Khaba can be so much more effective with one...

Beta Tester
1,813 posts
2,024 battles

The special smoke upgrade is almost something of a game changer for any ship with the moving smoke ability, i.e. the Perth, the Haida and the Huang He. You get so much more time in the smoke, it makes a great difference. It should be used alongside the special hydro upgrade, so that you can keep your guard up against incoming torpedoes while you're smoking. That the special hydro upgrade is also a great choice for any destroyer with hydro, goes without saying.

As for the Perth, I'm currently saving up for the special spotter plane upgrade as well. Her little Walrus float plane has gratifyingly voluminous petrol tanks even as they are, and with the extra upgrade installed, I expect to be able to basically just click the spotter button and then sip my tea while raining high explosive ordnance on my enemies from inside my cloud cover for the rest of the battle. Good times, although perhaps not quite cricket.

:cap_tea:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,707 posts
13,150 battles
3 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

DefAA (slot 2)

Honestly that upgrade is a waste of resources. You want to cancel your DFAA manually after you've killed all planes or they left to decrease the downtime anyway. Making your DFAA run full duration can potentially mean that it won't be ready for the next wave.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,813 posts
2,024 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Honestly that upgrade is a waste of resources. You want to cancel your DFAA manually after you've killed all planes or they left to decrease the downtime anyway. Making your DFAA run full duration can potentially mean that it won't be ready for the next wave.

You mean, by pressing the 'P' button?

I never thought of that... it does make sense, though.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,707 posts
13,150 battles
Just now, Procrastes said:

I never thought of that... it does make sense, though.

Here's my experience:

If an IJN CV is positioning well running premium DFAA and manually cancelling it will give you JUST enough time for it to come off cd right as the next wave hits.

With USN CVs it doesn't matter as much due to their horrible turnaround times. Still, it's a good habit to practice regardless and may save your aft if he's closer than you expected.

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
149 posts
3,801 battles

Thanks everyone for the insights.

Maybe I'll go radar with Cleveland to start with.

And special thanks to @El2aZeR for the tip on DefAA !

[DC-DK]
Players
1,771 posts
22,464 battles

I use the AA module on my Kidd, Chapayev and Udaloy.. I maybe move the 2 latter  to either Baltimore or Cleveland

[DC-DK]
Players
1,771 posts
22,464 battles
1 hour ago, AmiralPotato said:

Thanks everyone for the insights.

Maybe I'll go radar with Cleveland to start with.

And special thanks to @El2aZeR for the tip on DefAA !

You can't only for T-IX and X for the radar module

[WTFNO]
Players
149 posts
3,801 battles
16 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

You can't only for T-IX and X for the radar module

Damn :D !

Thanks for pointing that out, I edited the first post to keep that in mind.

Concerning DCP, for german / french BBs would give 21s immunity instead of 15.

I dont think I ever benefit from the immunity against air strikes since I wait for the last drop, but it could be useful against HE spam I guess ?

I often keep Slot 1 for AA/aux, except for the ships with torps, but maybe the effect is not so significant overall, so DCP mod might be worth it.

It would be nice to be able to script test case batches in the training room to have some stats :D

[ONE2]
Players
2,316 posts
13,602 battles

Hulloh @AmiralPotato , to make a long answer short. All of them are worth it lad, you just have to put them in a right ship.:Smile_Default:

For example, the Smoke is good for any DD or Cruiser with smoke. I used it for my German DD's to extend their smoke duration (which in my opinion is annoyingly short) and I also used the Engine to boost in my TRB equipped DD's (which are slow and have no smoke to escape, if detected), just in case I need to run away for longer. Hydro I have used in CL's which I have set up to be DD hunters. Def AA for CA's equipped for AA instead and so on. DCP is in Bismarck, because it gets brawling close-range and personal and so needs the extended immunity period, Spotting Aircraft mods for IJN or any other long-range sniper BB's. Radar for DM. So it kinda depends on what you are planning to do with a particular ship, how you set it up (cap skills, consumables and upgrades) to determine which one would give you the most benefit and why. You can use them either to improve a particularly annoying weakness or to boos an already strong feature of a ship even more.:cap_old: