You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Spiritus_Mundi

Is Ultimate Frontier Operation winnable???

71 comments in this topic

Players
7 posts

Would someone be able to guide me on how to complete and win this operation, as I find it practically unwinnable even in normal mode? The most I can get is three stars and every single battle ends in a defeat.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,704 posts
13,143 battles

Get a full division of at least halfway competent people, learn the spawns, then distribute, coordinate and act accordingly. That's the easiest way.

• Cool 2

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles

Should be a matter of logic at this point. Get you clan mates with which you can cooperate and don't ever play with random players.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles

At release it was quite doable with 3 or for 4 Stars, like most other operations.

But suddenly an angry mob of purple virgins apeared...

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[TENGO]
Players
1,470 posts
8,205 battles
48 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

But suddenly an angry mob of purple virgins apeared...

That's original.

Cause it can't be the vastly bigger mob of braindead red tomatoes that constantly deteriorates every level of this game, right?...

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[POI--]
Players
3,191 posts
4,331 battles

Yes, it is. But I have to ask, how many seperate threads on this operation do we need?

[BUSHI]
Players
99 posts
6,388 battles

Play only a BB, send the other one to deal with atlanta and hope it's not too much for him.

Go south, kill the clemson and the broadsiding bbs.

Few minutes later a group of cruisers will spawn on the west, you should come closer and distract them, otherwise they gonna destroy one fort. Keeping two forts alive is probably the most difficult task.

Then its just a matter of killing what comes at you, getting good enough team ect. Mark targets (F3) with timer on them. You probably will have to kill the CV by yourself too, so hope he doesn't get stuck on an island somewhere.

I did it in the duke of york, so you don't need anything too crazy to get 5 stars. Something with accurate guns would be nice (not gneisnau)  Don't waste your time playing cruisers or dds in this one.

It's gonna take some time but you will get there. After a few days of the operation being in rotation people get a bit better.

Players
788 posts
6,868 battles

I did manage a win last night with a full random team. Three stars.

We had a couple Scharnhorsts in the north, the rest south. One BB goes empty the friendly plane spawn points, the other(s) help with the southern BB's. 

The really critical part is the south spawning players. Often some of them head south centre where they seen the first DD's spawn. The players who do this always die, and the game is lost.

If the southern group arcs NE along the island chain, and all seven players regroup around the heal area and the atoll entrance, then it's not too difficult to win, though maybe not with five stars.

If you look at the above, there's a fair amount of stuff you simply need to know, it's not really indicated anywhere. It's really not suited for a random team.

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
4 hours ago, Saiyko said:

That's original.

Cause it can't be the vastly bigger mob of braindead red tomatoes that constantly deteriorates every level of this game, right?...

• Cool 4

Players
560 posts
8 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

A more recent one:

Since this video was made, the Clevelands have been swapped for Dallas and Indies. It is now more difficult.

And in this video he only did 143k damage with 3 kills!

Yesterday in my Shchors I did 228k damage with 8 kills. Only 1 of my random team mates was dead at the end. That was only good enough for a 3 star win. The OP's point about the difficulty in getting 5 star wins with randoms still stands.

Something like an Omni division could get 5 stars. But for the rest of us, we don't have 6 x Super Unicum mates to division with at any given time.

• Cool 3

[POP]
Players
288 posts
7,149 battles

Has anyone 5 starred it in the last 3 days?

Usually in these ops whine threads at least someone says "we just 5 starred it" but so far I haven't seen anyone stating they 5 starred the operation just a moment ago.

• Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
13,650 posts
10,389 battles
17 minutes ago, Lin3 said:

Since this video was made, the Clevelands have been swapped for Dallas and Indies. It is now more difficult.

And in this video he only did 143k damage with 3 kills!

Yesterday in my Shchors I did 228k damage with 8 kills. Only 1 of my random team mates was dead at the end. That was only good enough for a 3 star win. The OP's point about the difficulty in getting 5 star wins with randoms still stands.

Something like an Omni division could get 5 stars. But for the rest of us, we don't have 6 x Super Unicum mates to division with at any given time.

When you think that Dallas and Indy are more dangerous than the old Cleveland and Pensa...

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
47 minutes ago, Altsak said:

Has anyone 5 starred it in the last 3 days?

Usually in these ops whine threads at least someone says "we just 5 starred it" but so far I haven't seen anyone stating they 5 starred the operation just a moment ago.

2 Stars max for me at least, no matter the timezone.

[TOXIC]
Players
1,008 posts
15,380 battles

It is a difficult scenario but it is still doable with couple of decent players. But I guess division is probably the best way to achieve 5 stars.

Spoiler

shot-18_07.20_23_23.42-0946.thumb.jpg.8f4aae2be9b8cba8d72269b087d4f20d.jpg

shot-18_07.20_23_23.46-0905.thumb.jpg.b935cd4bb489ec4c3ca37a1e05d7e1e3.jpg

shot-18_07.20_23_23.53-0996.thumb.jpg.db4b8c233b7ebf2a0425cc0be569879b.jpg

Players
7 posts
6 hours ago, The_Baptist said:

Play only a BB, send the other one to deal with atlanta and hope it's not too much for him.

Go south, kill the clemson and the broadsiding bbs.

Few minutes later a group of cruisers will spawn on the west, you should come closer and distract them, otherwise they gonna destroy one fort. Keeping two forts alive is probably the most difficult task.

Then its just a matter of killing what comes at you, getting good enough team ect. Mark targets (F3) with timer on them. You probably will have to kill the CV by yourself too, so hope he doesn't get stuck on an island somewhere.

I did it in the duke of york, so you don't need anything too crazy to get 5 stars. Something with accurate guns would be nice (not gneisnau)  Don't waste your time playing cruisers or dds in this one.

It's gonna take some time but you will get there. After a few days of the operation being in rotation people get a bit better.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it out as you say. I'm afraid my clan is not active as we only have 2 other members. I and a buddy formed it as a subsidiary of our clan in World of Tanks Blitz. So, most of the time I am in random teams.

Players
560 posts
41 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When you think that Dallas and Indy are more dangerous than the old Cleveland and Pensa...

AI / spawns seem to be different.

Something's changed since the last version when we were up against Clevelands to make it more difficult.

I played this mission in a Myoko clone and had the good fortune to be with a 6 man clan division. We were all alive till the end. I racked up an OK but not outstanding 140k (ish) damage. We lost. Right at the end. It was a WTF moment. I'd need to look at the replay to see why we lost. I think it was because the Alabama, as their only ship left alive got too close to the airfield and zapped it. Never saw that happen before in the previous versions of this mission with a full friendly team left alive.

Players
22 posts
1,716 battles

It's the most difficult operation so far, and I've only won 1/7 games but it's just a matter of coordination of teamplay. Great operation for groups, terrible for random battles unless you play with someone that has done it before. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Players
288 posts
7,149 battles
18 minutes ago, Lin3 said:

I think it was because the Alabama, as their only ship left alive got too close to the airfield and zapped it. Never saw that happen before in the previous versions of this mission with a full friendly team left alive.

The current iteration of bots have their DPM unhinged. They fire full salvos as fast as their reload permits. The ground target's HP was tuned the time when bots had their DPM reduced ie. firing one turret at a time in slow intervals. This means that currently the ground targets are way too flimsy to stand up against the bots leading to situations where only a single "breacher" is able to obliterate the ground targets.

[CATS]
Players
13,650 posts
10,389 battles
1 hour ago, Lin3 said:

AI / spawns seem to be different.

Something's changed since the last version when we were up against Clevelands to make it more difficult.

I played this mission in a Myoko clone and had the good fortune to be with a 6 man clan division. We were all alive till the end. I racked up an OK but not outstanding 140k (ish) damage. We lost. Right at the end. It was a WTF moment. I'd need to look at the replay to see why we lost. I think it was because the Alabama, as their only ship left alive got too close to the airfield and zapped it. Never saw that happen before in the previous versions of this mission with a full friendly team left alive.

Old news.

The spawns for some bots groups were always random.

Alabama always went for the airfield when it got spotted. The key is to prevent the airfield to get spotted, that is why you have to focus the DD and planes.

• Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts

What is with all this crying lately about UF... :Smile_facepalm:

Just division with someone or wait a week. This OPS was always heavily dependent on bots spawning in right places and team you ended up as part of...

• Boring 2
  • Bad 3

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
11 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

What is with all this crying lately about UF... :Smile_facepalm:

Just division with someone or wait a week. This OPS was always heavily dependent on bots spawning in right places and team you ended up as part of...

9 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

Do you even read brah?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

Do you even read brah?

Do you?

2 hours ago, Skyllon said:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
3,626 posts
6,498 battles

One huge problem in this operation is that the team heavily depends on teamwork. You need battleships that throw their health and armor into the ring to protect the cruisers. The cruisers which are focussed down by the enemy. Cruisers who cannot heal back like BB.

And when you have BB-players like this, you have no chance to win at all. All four cruisers sunk, but all three BB on the other hand are at full health. 1min 50 sec to go with three full life BB protecting the base? Winable? Maybe, but not with those -> see team result screen.

Spoiler

shot-18_07.21_14_43.12-0405.thumb.jpg.5acf884103638d22460c8085a015a06a.jpg

shot-18_07.21_14_45.20-0539.thumb.jpg.64e72a629e10aa231e3cf2bb4bfcfc75.jpg

The operation needs a change in the AI target priorities. The should focus on the most nearby thread and not on the cruiser on low health on the other side of the map. If you play in a cruiser with random team mates you have to be lucky that the BB know what to do, otherwise you will barely survive.

• Cool 2