Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ouzo11

[Suggestion]Spotted Icons (+Poll)

Seperate "spotted icons"  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this QoL improvement?

18 comments in this topic

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

Now, with the increase of radar ships per match i think its more important than ever to have separate icons for each thing that spots you.
At the same time you could have icons on the screen for being spotted by:
1)Plane
2)Radar
3)hydro
4)Los/proximity

The problem comes from people, including me, not being able to accuratelly track many radar/hydro timers at the same time and radar icon being replaced by the normal spotted icon without apparent reason.
Something that leads us believing that radar/hydro run out, while in fact it hasnt.

Especially for dd captains i consider this a major "Quality Of Life" improvement and a "must have".

• Cool 11

[TTT]
Players
3,623 posts
7,459 battles
2 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

Now, with the increase of radar ships per match i think its more important than ever to have separate icons for each thing that spots you.
At the same time you could have icons on the screen for being spotted by:
1)Plane
2)Radar
3)hydro
4)Los/proximity

The problem comes from people, including me, not being able to accuratelly track many radar/hydro timers at the same time and radar icon being replaced by the normal spotted icon without apparent reason.
Something that leads us believing that radar/hydro run out, while in fact it hasnt.

Especially for dd captains i consider this a major "Quality Of Life" improvement and a "must have".

that "no apparent reason" is simply that you are now spotted through normal vision...

[HAERT]
Players
2,047 posts

I use a mod from one of the packs that have distinct and obvious differences if spotted by:-

Plane

LoS/Proximity

Radar OR Hydro

I don't think the game has any support for differentiating between Radar and Hydro, if it did then the modders would already be doing that. I'm pretty positive the code for Hydro and Radar have the same fundamental spotting code, just with range modifiers and Hydro spots torpedoes. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,912 posts
5,171 battles

It wouldnt hurt to have that extra piece of information. I can also remember certain situations, where I was not sure what to do, since this info was lacking. So yea, +1

5 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I don't think the game has any support for differentiating between Radar and Hydro

It would be nice, if they implement this. Sometimes you cant be sure: is it the Mino behind the island that has its hydro up? or is it maybe a radarship way in the back? Will I be radared for 15 sec or hydroded forever? So I´d definatly like to see that worked into the game, even if its causing some work.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles
5 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

that "no apparent reason" is simply that you are now spotted through normal vision...

Thats exactly my point!
Assume, as a dd captain, you are heading inside a cap that has no cover.
At 7km away a wild moine appears and pops radar.
"Spotted by Radar" icon pops up.
Untill you get to cover, while actively avoiding, you also shoot.
And thats when the "normal vision spotted" icon pops up and replaces the radar one.

It should be the other way around. "Spotted by Radar" icon should never get replaced by "normal vision" icon.

7 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I use a mod from one of the packs that have distinct and obvious differences if spotted by:-

Plane

LoS/Proximity

Radar OR Hydro

I don't think the game has any support for differentiating between Radar and Hydro, if it did then the modders would already be doing that. I'm pretty positive the code for Hydro and Radar have the same fundamental spotting code, just with range modifiers and Hydro spots torpedoes. 

Which one? I have only used aslain.
I believe you are correct about differentiating between hydro and radar but costs nothing to ask for it!
Besides that, the main request is to see all icons simultaneously and not randomly having one overlap the others!

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
3,623 posts
7,459 battles
2 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

It should be the other way around. "Spotted by Radar" icon should never get replaced by "normal vision" icon.

I heartily disagree. It's way more important to me to know when something is close enough to hardspot me.

Which ends up just being an argument for separating all these icons and displaying them side by side, but that has been suggested to WG many times already and hasn't happened yet... there is such a thing as overloading your interface I guess...

• Cool 2

[_MIA_]
Players
2,955 posts
5,366 battles

Imo being detected by Radar/Hydro/plane should stay even when u are being hardspot by another ship. So u know, even when u get "undetected" something else will still spot u.

So u might have occasionally 2 symbols showing, i dont think thats a big deal. Would help overall tho.

Players
730 posts
11,517 battles
10 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

Thats exactly my point!
Assume, as a dd captain, you are heading inside a cap that has no cover.
At 7km away a wild moine appears and pops radar.
"Spotted by Radar" icon pops up.
Untill you get to cover, while actively avoiding, you also shoot.
And thats when the "normal vision spotted" icon pops up and replaces the radar one.

Well, that's the part (i.e., keeping active the icon from the hardest spotting you're in -radar/hydro first, planes second- instead of defaulting back to the LoS/proximity one) of the QoL improvement you suggested that could suffice if implemented, being the separated/combined icons just some fancy extra that, according to WG, would be too difficult to implement.

This was already discussed in another thread a couple of months ago (and probably in a few others before as well), though, so it's nothing new.

Salute.

[KAKE]
Players
658 posts
2,712 battles

At the very least I would like to know if I'm also detected by radar/hydro before I trigger my smoke. I can live without separate icons for hydro and radar and without a separate icon for proximity spotting. But knowing that I'm not about to waste a smoke would be nice.

• Cool 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
701 posts
17,415 battles
27 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

I would like to see both icons in that situation.

• Cool 2

Players
112 posts
16 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Imo being detected by Radar/Hydro/plane should stay even when u are being hardspot by another ship. So u know, even when u get "undetected" something else will still spot u.

So u might have occasionally 2 symbols showing, i dont think thats a big deal. Would help overall tho.

Definitely +1

• Cool 1

Players
2,912 posts
5,171 battles
46 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

43 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

I heartily disagree. It's way more important to me to know when something is close enough to hardspot me.

When you change the example from DD to CL, you will see, that both of these suggestions wont replace the information, you´d get, if you´d see both icons (Radar or Hydro AND LoS-spotted).

Lets take Neptune (Its easy for me to build this example, since it happened shortly ago) : A Moskva radars me. I see it, he is ~11 km away. I know, I can escape quick by running into a certain direction. But there is a DD, which I know, but isnt spotted at that moment. So the icon might switch to hardspot, once I run into his detection range. So radar icon goes. Pop smoke and maybe im still detected, cuz radar active. Now if you change the example in this way, that I DONT know, how far the Moskva is away or even what radars me, it gets tricky. Then, if you take into account, it might be a Z52 from the other side of the island at 5,8 km using hydro on me... Even two symbols for Hydro or Radar would be usefull. Very complicated and highly situational, I agree. Not even sure if players SHOULD have this information, since it will enable you with a little bit of brain to exactly pinpoint what ship is spotting you from where.

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
12 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Which ends up just being an argument for separating all these icons and displaying them side by side, but that has been suggested to WG many times already and hasn't happened yet... there is such a thing as overloading your interface I guess...

Unless i missread you post i have to disagree. Im a DD main and my issue is that when im radared, hydrod, plane spotted which happens quite a lot when you try and go for the objectives im not that interested in when im hardspotted because that i can usually tell with concealment values and if i fired or not, no, i much rather now exactly when im radared/hydrod (and which one of them it is, because its a bit of a different between being spotted by russion radar for 20-30 sec or Hinden german hydro for a couple of minutes) and i need to know the exact secont the consumable runs out and when im just hardspotted so i know if its safe to pop smoke to go dark again.

Because usually when i get radared/hydrod i usually open up with my guns while kite-ing away because why not? If the enemy team are gonna dump all their ammo into me i might as well get some damage in as well. The problem is that after doing this for 10-20-30 seconds trying to get out of radar range with a slither of health left i try and pop smoke to disengage just to get the spotted icon to change to radar icon because i apparently are still inside retard-OP radar and i just burned my smoke to no use and are probably die.

And i know many will probably say "Youre a DD, deal with it", but my problem is that in this game their is pretty much only 1 ship that HAS to do something ..... the DD! Because most games are domination sp DDs must go into caps and with all the hydro, radars, dds, cvs and BB/CA planes that can spot you trying to cap i just feel considering DDs already has least amount of HP and only ship pretty much without heal (mostly), its not to much to ask for to just know what is spotting you and for how long. Are you fucked or can you disengage with smoke. Can you hold out behind this tiny island for 30-40 seconds or is this gonna be 3 minutes?

So WG gives all other ships a crap ton HP, heals, hydro, radars and planes, atleast they can give the DD players this!

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles

Nice idea in principle, but it would cause too much screen clutter. I think it's not that hard to deal with durations.

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

But, as i said, its not only about the durations.
Its also about icons replacing each other preventing us from having correct information.
When, in a dd, you are hard spotted, you either know if its another dd with lower surface detectability range or its a ship that you also spot at the same time.
When, in a dd, you are plane spotted, you can see it flying above you and on the minimap.
But when you are radar/hydro spotted,especially by 2 different (or more) ships (lets say an unspotted moskva and a Z running hydro) then when the radar spot icon gets replaced by the hard spotted icon you might get rekt because you cant keep track of every radar timer + ships shooting at you from far + ships ships shooting at you close range + actively avoiding + running to cover + trying not to pull a notser + shooting back + calculating if and when is the best time to pull a smoke.
Having all icons there would help a lot.
And really, showing some love towards dds from wgs side instead of constantly shitting them would be great!

As for the screen clutter:
Imagine a triangle 50% larger than the currect spotted icon.
Imagine that triangle divided in 3.
The outline of the triangle is yellow.
Top 3rd is a red ship aka hard spotted
Bottom left 3rd, is a yellow plane aka plane spotted
Bottom right 3rd, is a blue radar aka radar spotted.
By increasing the size of 1 icon 50% (or even 100%) you can fit 2 more icons in that space.
Coloring the 3rds of the triangle makes it way easier for people to see whats happening there while at the same time solving the screen clutter issue.
Which in my opinion, is not an issue at all.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,609 posts
5,047 battles

The way I'd do it, in an ideal world, would be with a sort of 'traffic light' sort of thing:

• Four boxes (say), one above the other, so you have a vertical panel (that you could move around and scale, and not show if you don't want it).
  • Each box a different colour, with a suitable icon on each.
  • The boxes represent detected by radar, hydro, planes, and finally everything else (hard spot, whether LOS or proximity).
  • Whichever ones are relevant light up, for as long as you are detected via those means.

By having it mobile, you could place it wherever on your screen was of most use; with practice, the mere colours should tell you all you need, so you wouldn't need to spend too much time staring right at it.

Anyway, something like that.

Definitely QoL stuff, though, not critical...

• Cool 2

Players
730 posts
11,517 battles

No need for separating elements, most of them could be combined by layering their icons. I've made an animated PNG (N.B.: correct visualization doesn't work on all browsers) showing how it could be made:

nwfB7vw.png

I didn't take RPF into account while making the animation, but it could be added as another layer and adjust the position of each element accordingly. I'm also not sure how WG implemented each icon in the game, although their claims about the difficulties of having one made for each situation makes me thing that they went with a "single sprite, single layer" approach. I'll have to get the unpacker for modders and check by myself.

Salute.

• Cool 4

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
152 posts
4,301 battles

Thats a shitload of great work mate!
+1 from me

Sign in to follow this