Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RedMistRage

Shima "Unique" upgrade

23 comments in this topic

[-TXG-]
[-TXG-]
Beta Tester
7 posts
7,329 battles

Just finished the grind for the "unique" upgrade used lots of camo's and flags to get there and i personally think it's a downgrade,yes it takes my reload from 117s to 103s sounds great but what you give up for that is -80% to tube traverse speed is just to harsh and changes the gameplay of the ship.Forget about using torps close range if you get into trouble that's not happening.

I've took it off with disappointment,was expecting a little more for the grind,just my opinion  though others might find it usable.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
1,607 posts
5,047 battles

I wasn't intending to fit mine, as and when I get it - like the majority of the equivalent upgrades, the down-side appears to more than counter the advantages.

In the specific case of the Shima, it *might* be useful with the 20 km torps, if you want to play as a stand-off torpedo spammer - that sounds rather dull to me though (plus, I imagine it would make you very unpopular with your team-mates who would expect a DD to be doing its job)...?

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
On 2018-07-18 at 9:06 PM, RedMistRage said:

Just finished the grind for the "unique" upgrade used lots of camo's and flags to get there and i personally think it's a downgrade,yes it takes my reload from 117s to 103s sounds great but what you give up for that is -80% to tube traverse speed is just to harsh and changes the gameplay of the ship.Forget about using torps close range if you get into trouble that's not happening.

I've took it off with disappointment,was expecting a little more for the grind,just my opinion  though others might find it usable.

Are you kidding me? are you already one with that grind? Damn, i play my Hinden every day but not even done with the first stage yet. Well, it sucks to get a bad upgrade after all that grind, but a tip is to watch Flamus video on the upgrades where he describes the pros/cons of them and i think he says that the Shima one is crap (and apparently Hinden is OP A-F).

I know a lot of players have a problem with Flamus attitude ingame, but its hard to argue that he doesnt know what he is talking about. His reviews and recommendations for captainbuilds are usually spot on. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,216 posts
13,980 battles
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, Verblonde said:

I wasn't intending to fit mine, as and when I get it - like the majority of the equivalent upgrades, the down-side appears to more than counter the advantages.

In the specific case of the Shima, it *might* be useful with the 20 km torps, if you want to play as a stand-off torpedo spammer - that sounds rather dull to me though (plus, I imagine it would make you very unpopular with your team-mates who would expect a DD to be doing its job)...?

Do that old chap and I will petition for you to be banned from the Forum.............. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,321 posts
13,604 battles
On 7/18/2018 at 8:06 PM, RedMistRage said:

Yupp, knew that in advance so I never took the thing. No surprises there, but sad tho. I too would have preferred for it be something actually useful. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,813 posts
6,439 battles
22 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Are you kidding me? are you already one with that grind? Damn, i play my Hinden every day but not even done with the first stage yet. 

With premium account and premium camo, it goes fast. I'm already done with the 100.000 XP on Worcester, almost done on Des Moines, halfway on Yamato, Yue Yang and Moskva.

The 8 millions credits part is longer tho.

Also too bad the only upgrade that interest me right now are the Yamato and Moskva ones. xD

As for Flamu, well, he's not that wrong on everything, but the LM are really a matter of perspective. I find the Hindenburg one absolutely useless myself. Fires and Flood never were a problem for high tier cruiser. One the contrary you give up concealment which means you get shot at more often.

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
30 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

With premium account and premium camo, it goes fast. I'm already done with the 100.000 XP on Worcester, almost done on Des Moines, halfway on Yamato, Yue Yang and Moskva.

The 8 millions credits part is longer tho.

Also too bad the only upgrade that interest me right now are the Yamato and Moskva ones. xD

As for Flamu, well, he's not that wrong on everything, but the LM are really a matter of perspective. I find the Hindenburg one absolutely useless myself. Fires and Flood never were a problem for high tier cruiser. One the contrary you give up concealment which means you get shot at more often.

Holy crap! You give me inferior complex!! I must play more. 

My feelings on the Hinden upgrade is that since the ship is so nimble and easy to dodge torps and BB shells the only fear i feel in that ship (if i can even call it fear) is to get firespammed by other ships like Conquerors, Zao´s and other Hindens while im spamming my fires, so for me this LU took away pretty much the only little weakpoint this ship had. And regarding the consealment, im already used to having the most shittiest consealment of all so i adjusted my playstyle to this a long time ago.

So i almost only need to use my repair when i eat a torp in the future and never for fires! And with German hydro that doesnt happen that often, so for me this feels quite OP.

The other LU that im interested in is the Zao one, since that ship has gotten so much more interesting to play nowdays with its 12k torps. Apparently you loose a bit of range, but since i almost always go with spotterplane for both my Zao and Hinden thats not that big of an issue.

The Mino one looks pretty hilarius as well.

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,573 battles

Currently doing:

Grozovoi: 3rd stage, 9 victories out of 15 needed

Kurfurst: 2nd stage, about 5 million credits out of 8 needed

Moskva: 2nd stage, 5 million

Hindenburg: 2nd stage, 4 million

Yamato: 2nd stage, 1 million

I've played a few games with Des Moines, Montana, Zao and Minotaur but I don't intend to grind their LMs.

I had some 100 GamesCon Camos and they are proving a godsend for the second stage btw.

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles

A question to you guys that has progressed quite far in this, am i right in thinking that the first stage is the hardest considering you have all the required flags, camos and Premium time?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,813 posts
6,439 battles

I forgot what was exactly on every stage, but the 8 millions one is definitely the longest.

100.000 XP can go very fast. Stack bonuses, do a good daily victory, and you get a 10.000 XP rewards quite easily. So 10 daily bonuses and you're done. 8 millions credits on the other hand is quite longer, since even with premium and everything, you'll rarely get more than 450k.

The Freepex part isn't very hard either, just make sure you have some special +777% flag in reserves.

Overall, all stage can be completed within 10-20 battles if you properly stacks all bonuses and do good/great in every match.

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,573 battles

100.000 XP IIRC started when we had the July 4th 200% XP bonus that lasted over a week so it was relatively easy. With 50% bonus though...

8 million one, well, it is a long one. GamesCon camo + 20% credit flag and still you get some 600k out of a good/very good match.

10.000 FreeXP went fast but then I had some Papa-Papa and Ouroboros  flags.

15 victories if you have a 55-60% WR should be done in some 25-28 (which is a lot obviously) This is the only one where camo and flags don't have any impact on how fast you can finish it

Last one is EliteXP right? I guess a good camo and some Dragon flags should make it the fastest stage since it's relatively easy to gain 20-30k per good match.

[-GG-]
Players
140 posts
9,885 battles

Why so in hurry with grinding those "legendary" ? :Smile_teethhappy:

Probably the one I'll will ever mount is Khaba reload+range buff

The rest is either "weird" (like wtf should I drop DPM for DesMoines in favour of ruder shift :cap_hmm:) or just a blatant mistake (giving up concealment on Z-52 that is a pure cap-DD .... :cap_wander:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,607 posts
5,047 battles
4 hours ago, T0byJug said:

Do that old chap and I will petition for you to be banned from the Forum.............. :Smile_playing:

You're quite safe - if I wanted to play boring static ships, I'd play a lot more BBs...!

:)

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,122 posts
11,295 battles
3 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

I forgot what was exactly on every stage, but the 8 millions one is definitely the longest... 8 millions credits on the other hand is quite longer, since even with premium and everything, you'll rarely get more than 450k.

You can stack credits almost as easy as XP. Use Gamescon camo, all available commercial flags and premium time and see credits go through the roof. I am currently doing this step in Republique and my fist (however quite good) game netted me over 900k (2200 bxp, 150k damage). So I guess this step will also easily be possible in your mentioned 10 to 20 battles.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,270 posts
7,363 battles

I am in stage 5 with Grozovoi and I think stage 5 is longest. Even 2000 BASE xp games you need at least 20 games. All other stages go real fast with flags, but flags won't help stage 5.

Easiest was free xp. It took only like 4-5 games

[D-O-G]
Players
1,048 posts
18,778 battles
On 18/07/2018 at 8:13 PM, Verblonde said:

And what job would it be? Spotting for the team, calling for fire support when your support is already tunnel visioning on some other, more "juicy" target or unable to comply because they shut their fire angle hiding behind rocks? Or trying to cap because you're asked to by some geezer who haven't bothered reading the team composition that says that there are 3 or more radar ships in the enemy team?

From where i'm concerned, using 20k torps is good for flanking and trying to get the p*****s playing radar, it doesn't take skills to camp behind an island and hit the radar key.

If anything. there's a good reason why the Shima doesn't make it to the top 3 at her tier and it's not going to get any better with the increased number of radar ships, if you feel like you can flush out radars with short range torp, good for you, but from my PoV, using the Type F3 is a big no go,  Type93 mod. 3 being so so OK when radar aren't too numerous and there aren't some other p***** playing a gun boat hunting you, Shima is neither fast enough neither beafy enough to compete with these.

I tried the combination of Type93 and Torpedo Armament Expertise, it gives a good compromise with higher speed and 16km range but from where i stand, Shima needs better torp to be truely competitive in regard of the high number of radars we see in the game today. Spamming torp say you, don't you think the enemy team is spamming on DDs when their radar buddies spot them?

Now i'm seriously considering getting myself an Asashio, until W.G get their numbers straight and give this torp boats equal chances of success, right now, it simply isn't the case. 

[SM0KE]
Players
1,607 posts
5,047 battles

@ThinderChief Good points. What I was mainly getting at is that with the upgrade, torpedo spamming is just about the only thing you can do; it's not that without it, the situation will magically improve vis-a-vis radar etc., but rather that you have more options, if an opportunity presents itself.

I'm hardly an expert though - I only got my Shima recently. Given what I'm seeing at T10 (much of which you elucidate), I'm sorely tempted to mount the 20 km torps, and switch my Asashio captain (with TA) over to her, and see how it goes...

[D-O-G]
Players
1,048 posts
18,778 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

@ThinderChief Good points. What I was mainly getting at is that with the upgrade, torpedo spamming is just about the only thing you can do; it's not that without it, the situation will magically improve vis-a-vis radar etc., but rather that you have more options, if an opportunity presents itself.

I'm hardly an expert though - I only got my Shima recently. Given what I'm seeing at T10 (much of which you elucidate), I'm sorely tempted to mount the 20 km torps, and switch my Asashio captain (with TA) over to her, and see how it goes...

20km torp are too slow and not stealthy enough to be really efficient, i use my Shima mainly for flanking and flushing out radar ships camping behind their islands, that's where, eventually they can be used at their best because if you manage to flank unspotted you have good chances to torp the campers from the side, from the closet cap to at least the second further away from you, you even might score hits on ships you haven't spotted near max range because they won't expect them at all.

For caping or against radar, there are better suited DDs than the Shima, some are faster and more maneuvrable (and it's a huge advantage when you try to contest caps), the Z-52 is a real threat with her hydro and good torps too, some playing lower tiers tX games have even lower concealment figures as well, but with more than one radar ship in the enemy team, it's always better to spot them before trying to cap, especially with the Shima, she doesn't have what it wake to compete vs other DD of her tier and contest caps.

You will figure it out for yourself, the disadvantage of going for the Torpedo Acceleration trick is that you can use those Captain skills points for something else and that in any case the Type93 will always be spotted earlier than the other, in which case, if you're daring the 12km Type93 mod. 3 are a good alternative. 

The Type93 are best suited for hitting campers who will find it hard to dodge them from idle, even at long range.

Last game, i got lucky, a win (good team as mostly is the case for wins), 3 kills and NO damage received at all, i killed the enemy Shima with guns, the two other were either rushing a team mate and not paying attention or camping in their smoke, i don't think i've been spotter more than once after firing my guns during the entire game. But obviously you can't do that in every game or map.

shot-18_07.20_17_50.33-0745.thumb.jpg.c213e88b05135d199b8ac964dfdb894e.jpg

• Cool 1

[-RDE-]
Players
49 posts

on a slightly different note, i just got the upgrade for the republique. and compared to main battery mod 3 the new additional battery mod 1  we get an -6% in loading gun time and a -24% in firing range taking it to just 19km and -13% in traverse speed. now at the moment i've got the minotaur shimma and the repubs new upgrades and tbh imho not one is worth adding, apart from maybe the smoke for mino. i here to the engines on the dem moins suck too. the bonus is just far outweighed by the deductions of the other peramiters.. NO?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,571 posts
6,401 battles
16 minutes ago, humpty_1 said:

firing range taking it to just 19km

19.84km is more than good enough. Unless, of course, you're one of the borderhumping "25km is too close" potatoes

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
3,912 posts
16,276 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Holy crap! You give me inferior complex!! I must play more. 

My feelings on the Hinden upgrade is that since the ship is so nimble and easy to dodge torps and BB shells the only fear i feel in that ship (if i can even call it fear) is to get firespammed by other ships like Conquerors, Zao´s and other Hindens while im spamming my fires, so for me this LU took away pretty much the only little weakpoint this ship had. And regarding the consealment, im already used to having the most shittiest consealment of all so i adjusted my playstyle to this a long time ago.

So i almost only need to use my repair when i eat a torp in the future and never for fires! And with German hydro that doesnt happen that often, so for me this feels quite OP.

The other LU that im interested in is the Zao one, since that ship has gotten so much more interesting to play nowdays with its 12k torps. Apparently you loose a bit of range, but since i almost always go with spotterplane for both my Zao and Hinden thats not that big of an issue.

The Mino one looks pretty hilarius as well.

I have the Zao one and is definitely an upgrade, while Shima was definitely a shitty one.

After my non-pro judgement, the definitely useful ones are for BBs: Republik, Yamato and GK.

Cruisers: Zao and Hindenburg.  Maybe Des Moines (arguable) and HIV (arguable).

DDs: Grozovoi. Maybe Gearing (arguable).

CVs: Hard to say considering will be reworked soon and I don t like to play them cause they re broken .

But it also depends on your playstyle.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
3,912 posts
16,276 battles
1 hour ago, humpty_1 said:

. i here to the engines on the dem moins suck too. the bonus is just far outweighed by the deductions of the other peramiters.. NO?

Depends on your playstyle, but you lose range or reload for mostly 50% more acceleration, but only when moving forward, and DM is definitely a camping ship.

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,573 battles
41 minutes ago, 22cm said:

I have the Zao one and is definitely an upgrade, while Shima was definitely a shitty one.

After my non-pro judgement, the definitely useful ones are for BBs: Republik, Yamato and GK.

Cruisers: Zao and Hindenburg.  Maybe Des Moines (arguable) and HIV (arguable).

DDs: Grozovoi. Maybe Gearing (arguable).

CVs: Hard to say considering will be reworked soon and I don t like to play them cause they re broken .

But it also depends on your playstyle.

Agree on all those.

Moskva's is also useful.

Sign in to follow this