You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
El2aZeR

AP bombs - a list

27 comments in this topic

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

This list makes me sad... Just like PA DW torps, sold as an anti captial ship weapon, yet cruisers are the ones most punished and impacted by it.

Still, nice list!

• Cool 5

Players
730 posts
11,468 battles

I've read your threads about the subject in the CV section of the forum and many of your related comments in other ones, but considering that very few non-CV forumites (not to mention the amount of players that don't care to come and inquire) dare to enter the "cave of the beast", giving it a bit more relevance in the gameplay section is a nice move. Kudos for that.

Salute.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles
40 minutes ago, Affeks said:

This list makes me sad... Just like PA DW torps, sold as an anti captial ship weapon, yet cruisers are the one punished who are most impacted by it.

Still, nice list!

The only real anti capital ship weapons are the Assashio DW's

@El2aZeR I can provide a De Grasse for testing purposes later this week

Players
40 posts
8,417 battles

Definitly a very nice list, even though I have more luck devastating Ibukis than Zaos... could be my imagination, too :Smile_sceptic:

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles

Wonder why Edinburgh is partially vulnerable, Fiji is not. Also, does the armour layout change this much from Shchors to Chapayev? And Roon being inbetween vulnerable Hipper and vulnerable Hindenburg.

Also, I swear, if Amagi eats no cits from DBs, it at least eats heavy pen damage.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles
10 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Wonder why Edinburgh is partially vulnerable, Fiji is not. Also, does the armour layout change this much from Shchors to Chapayev? And Roon being inbetween vulnerable Hipper and vulnerable Hindenburg.

Conning tower is the answer I believe, otherwise armor is too thin across the board for the bombs to arm. With the tech tree manual drop (with which misses become rather rare) hitting the conning tower is actually quite likely on a stationary ship if you commit all your DBs. Maneuvering to avoid big hits is key here.

Can't look up the specific armor schemes right now but I made several runs on all ships I wasn't too sure about in the training room and wrote the list according to that and my own experience playing with AP DBs.

All BBs can take somewhere between 10k and 30k damage (from two squads) depending on damage saturation, amount of AA/secondary guns and deck armor.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

I got degrasse and both ducas if you want to give it a test some time.

[4_0_4]
Players
3,755 posts
10,342 battles

Nice list. Just shows how wrong the AP Bombs are implemented into the game.

I`m surprised to see no Kurfürst in that list tho. :cap_hmm:

2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Personally I have no experience with and no way to test how AP bombs perform on the following ships:

- Duca d'Aosta

- Duca degli Abruzzi

- De Grasse

If you need, I could provide them, but I`m only online in the evening.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,295 battles

Awesome list, makes me feel guilty for not playing my Big E...

Interesting to know who to AP cheese and know to leave :Smile_medal: 

[EUTF]
Players
75 posts

I actually remembered a funny experience not long ago. Although a bit off topic, but I will share it here.

From the start of a game, an enterprise tried very hard to drop on my Worcester parked behind solid cover by sending all his planes (yep, even the fighters). I never met the guy and I never did anything to him. The planes dropped out of the sky like raindrops and I felt so terribly guilty that I openly shouted out to warn him not to send planes against US cruisers (you know, just in case he is a newbie). After three full waves of attack, he stopped.

... I was at full HP with 40 plane kills and Air Defender achievement.

My reaction was like : "Why.... just WHY !!!" :Smile_facepalm: 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles

Added Roma to the partial vulnerability pool as I recently got some citadel hits on one. No idea whether she actually belongs in the high vulnerability category or not due to a lack of experience.

Tbh I almost forgot that ship even exists.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles

Added Nelson to partial vulnerability pool. Takes citadels on a semi regular basis but usually not enough to oneshot her like FdG.

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
607 posts
5,965 battles

stalingrad is the most nukable ship with ap together with sharnost/gnesy, and by extremely nukable i mean that in the 3-4 times i found him with my midway in ranked, it was alway a oneshot ( when def aa expired), even when i had only 8 dps, all 8 went for a full citadel damage ( with manual drop and him stationary)

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles

Because I got no CVs to test it and only got ever AP bombed in Operation Hermes (bot GZ didn't tell me whether I got hit a lot): Am I right in the assumption that Atlanta and Flint are basically immune to AP bombs, given their almost DD grade armour (so, overpens only)? 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles
19 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Because I got no CVs to test it and only got ever AP bombed in Operation Hermes (bot GZ didn't tell me whether I got hit a lot): Am I right in the assumption that Atlanta and Flint are basically immune to AP bombs, given their almost DD grade armour (so, overpens only)? 

I would assume so, yeah.

Obviously I haven't been bombing many Atlantas or Flints.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,616 posts
9,113 battles
On 17.7.2018 at 10:01 PM, El2aZeR said:

Conning tower is the answer I believe, otherwise armor is too thin across the board for the bombs to arm.

There was a thread with AO asking specifically whether or not that counts as citadel. Some redshirt, maybe Conway, told him no.

Now ofc you have to regard information from WG as inherently distrustful and if somebody knows how this game works, its clearly NOT them. So what you do with that info is up to you, just thought I made it available to you - nonjudgemental ofc.

Anyway summoning @Aotearas because he had the actual conversation - I just remember stumbling upon it - and can maybe provide the link.

€: If its just about the conning tower arming the bombs and then exploding in the cit - you are right ofc.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles
7 minutes ago, havaduck said:

If its just about the conning tower arming the bombs and then exploding in the cit - you are right ofc.

Yeah, I think it's just that. Can't explain it otherwise as turrets should just eat the bomb.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,616 posts
9,113 battles
13 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Yeah, I think it's just that. Can't explain it otherwise as turrets should just eat the bomb.

Thats the experience yes. But recently I had something odd - I scored a single hit (BB AP) that did full regular pen damage. But I also destroyed a turret (temporarily). I guess it was the fun of engaging damage system of the turret eating the shell and then the shell exploded twice.

Cant proof it because it was in one game during a game session but I will keep an eye on it as hard as it is: A highly rare constellation in order to obtain proof.

What I am trying to say is, the damage system could still be the culprit - broken as it is. BB turrets are big and heavily armored - they could eat the shells properly. Cruiser turrets, like the 25 mm joke on IJN, get penned by HE and maybe overpenned by AP bombs - and then instead of just getting eaten, the shell/bomb in this case does damage for a second time.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles
3 minutes ago, havaduck said:

What I am trying to say is, the damage system could still be the culprit

I mean, considering we've had cases of Minos getting citadels on Montys anything is possible, really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[SCRUB]
Players
6,912 posts
9,129 battles
15 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Wouldn't explain how in some cases you get citadels at a bow on angled BB that you can't overmatch and having had aimed at the superstructure (and presumably having hit the superstructure and conning tower according to where you saw the shells hitting), or in even more extreme cases how I once managed to citadel a bow tanking FdG with my Neptune ... if conning tower doesn't count as citadel then there must be something different going extremely wonky.

But I digress, this isn't something to be tinfoil-hatted in this thread.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,159 posts
9,935 battles
On 17-7-2018 at 10:01 PM, El2aZeR said:

Conning tower is the answer I believe

Conning tower is not regarded as a citadel, if MrConway is correct (I asked this in another thread; have to look up which one when I have access to my pc).

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
3 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Conning tower is not regarded as a citadel, if MrConway is correct (I asked this in another thread; have to look up which one when I have access to my pc).

But it has a roof that can set off the fuze.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,159 posts
9,935 battles
4 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

But it has a roof that can set off the fuze.

Seems like I misunderstood that sentence then :Smile_hiding:

[QUCA]
Weekend Tester
896 posts
3,810 battles
19 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Obviously I haven't been bombing many Atlantas or Flints.

I have an Atlanta somewhere lying around if you want to try it.