You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jessa_Doom

Bot ships rewarded.

26 comments in this topic

Players
326 posts

Hi WG & All.

I just witnessed a BOT ship get an award how is this if they are governed by the game mechanics AI and sail around seemingly OP.

No bot ship should get an award other than helping human players win their awards and you dev's at WG say you were dealing with players getting awards for doing nothing, giving bots awards do not help.

• Boring 1

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
Spoiler

Ok, I'll take the bait.

What do you mean by award? An ingame achievement like Die-hard or Dreadnought?

Either way, why do you care what bots get?

And in case you are serious: do you mean an actual bot (from Coop/OP) or a player you call a bot for whatever reason?

[EST]
[EST]
Players
690 posts
17,408 battles
7 minutes ago, Jessa_Doom said:

No bot ship should get an award other than helping human players win their awards

If bot does better job than human then it deserves that award.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
2 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ok, I'll take the bait.

What do you mean by award? An ingame achievement like Die-hard or Dreadnought?

Detonation?

Players
59 posts
5,325 battles

since when do u get rewards in coop? im pretty sure u cant get achievements in games with bots....(operations has different achievements anyway)

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
7 minutes ago, PaxMaggie said:

since when do u get rewards in coop? im pretty sure u cant get achievements in games with bots....(operations has different achievements anyway)

In Operations though, we don't see what bots get at end of battle. So, dunno how that bot earned anything...

Beta Tester
4,143 posts
9,348 battles
57 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

In Operations though, we don't see what bots get at end of battle. So, dunno how that bot earned anything...

Some are announced during play, and bots can get those, like Natural Selection.

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
1 minute ago, AgarwaenME said:

Some are announced during play, and bots can get those, like Natural Selection.

If any bot can get Natural Selection, that's pretty much a mission failed and that bot getting awards should be the least of one's issues.

[SNUBS]
Players
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

CAN the Beasts of the sea elaborate?

i certainly have never seen a achievement on the Bots. :Smile_hiding::cap_haloween:

Beta Tester
4,143 posts
9,348 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

If any bot can get Natural Selection, that's pretty much a mission failed and that bot getting awards should be the least of one's issues.

Nah, had a quite successfull Aegis op where the Akulov just happened to get 4 finishing shots on enemy cruisers. 

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,388 posts
14,109 battles

This is literally the MOST STUPID complaint I've read in my 3 and a half years in this game.

• Cool 2

Players
2,265 posts
2 hours ago, Jessa_Doom said:

Hi WG & All.

I just witnessed a BOT ship get an award how is this if they are governed by the game mechanics AI and sail around seemingly OP.

No bot ship should get an award other than helping human players win their awards and you dev's at WG say you were dealing with players getting awards for doing nothing, giving bots awards do not help.

I had to read this a few times over.....mental :Smile_teethhappy:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,784 battles
45 minutes ago, lameoll said:

CAN the Beasts of the sea elaborate?

i certainly have never seen a achievement on the Bots. :Smile_hiding::cap_haloween:

We do have some very good quality players in B.O.T.S, some of whom I have no doubt, on occasion, perhaps, might get an award, or several :)

• Funny 4

Players
730 posts
11,481 battles

Well, I remember someone commenting about complimenting a bot once due to habit (I think he said he uses to compliment any player above 600 base XP or so in coop, but didn't notice at first that it was a bot) and I replied that the bot probably deserved it. There's also that CC that, during the time when the training room was hidden, used to make weird matchmakings with bots and had a particularly cherished one. So, a bot winning an award, why not? I'm quite sure a few of them would have been awarded more Krakens than the majority of purple players if their deeds had been recorded since the beginning.

Salute.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
1 hour ago, JapLance said:

This is literally the MOST STUPID complaint I've read in my 3 and a half years in this game.

Just look at his posting history, everything there is like this

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,349 posts

Bots don't actually get or do anything with rewards since they're wiped from the server once the battle ends, and nobody is watching the game and 'giving' them out, it's just a text popup that triggers under certain circumstances and wasn't coded out for bots.

Just think about it. You're humanising bots in your perception of them when that's not at all how they work or what they are.

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
3 minutes ago, StringWitch said:

Bots don't actually get or do anything with rewards since they're wiped from the server once the battle ends, and nobody is watching the game and 'giving' them out, it's just a text popup that triggers under certain circumstances and wasn't coded out for bots.

Just think about it. You're humanising bots in your perception of them when that's not at all how they work or what they are.

Maybe OP is intimidated by bots and takes them as serious competition, hence this enemy image forms. :cap_hmm:

And no, I don't mean the clan here. :Smile_hiding:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,690 posts
13,130 battles

For experimental purposes WG should create a clan full of bots and let them loose on randoms. See what stats they get.

I'd pay to see the results.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,159 posts
9,946 battles
3 hours ago, Riselotte said:

We (SCRUBS) actually had an Op once where a bot got Natural Selection .. I'll have to look for the sceenshot though 

in case you're wondering .. it still was a 5 star victory iirc .. true Scrub way :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
413 posts
7,632 battles

I wish I could give waifubots compliments after they outscore my team or even myself.

This might evolve into some form of machine learning, see - bot gets complimented -> gameplay analysis -> other waifubots try to copy succesful behaviour -> better waifubots.

Players
1,470 posts
5,740 battles
6 hours ago, Profilus said:

If bot does better job than human then it deserves that award.

Seeing that in almost all "shooting" games the AI is dumbed down... It is not that hard to be "better" than you humans.

Beta Tester
4,143 posts
9,348 battles
2 hours ago, StringWitch said:

disney_pixar_wall-e_1_large.jpg

Players
730 posts
11,481 battles
2 hours ago, StringWitch said:

You're humanising bots in your perception of them when that's not at all how they work or what they are.

It's called the pathetic fallacy, and it can be argued that such a quest for humanizing things is a by-product of our behaviour as a social (some would say just tribal) species. You can relate better to something extraneous by attaching to it part of your own set of values, conducts and attitudes. Pet owners do it a lot, for example.

There also the fact that WoWS bots still haven't reached a level of "intelligence" that puts them in the uncanny valley, so there's margin for some empathy. Things will be different by the time they swear, curse and brag in chat.

Salute.