You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BorgCymru

Gun sights

28 comments in this topic

[REME]
Players
16 posts
1,614 battles

I've said it before and I'll say it again

The gun sight system SUCKS when you have a spotter plane in the air 

• Cool 4

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

Not a big fan of it myself, it makes moving, angled targets a nuisance to hit. I only use it for firing into smokes, and it improves the results somewhat.

You just have to learn how to use it, just like anything else. 

• Cool 1

Players
112 posts

I think it helps especially with hitting manouvering targets at some range.

You can see the aiming point more clearly. 

And you can hit UK cruisers in smokes and US cruisers or any ship behind islands can be targetted more precisely.

It is useful. Just use it when it is really needed.

BTW: Someone suggested before to be able to CALL BACK the spotter plane / fighter so that cooldown  can be started earlier.

I want to repeat that.

• Cool 8

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles
1 hour ago, Zimbit said:

BTW: Someone suggested before to be able to CALL BACK the spotter plane / fighter so that cooldown  can be started earlier.

I want to repeat that.

That is actually good . sometimes i struggle hitting DDs in close range using spotter plane 

Lets ask @MrConway  to see if it is possible to suggest

[RAIN]
Players
90 posts
8,920 battles
3 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

That is actually good . sometimes i struggle hitting DDs in close range using spotter plane 

Lets ask @MrConway  to see if it is possible to suggest

Yes let us return our spotter/fighter plane whenever we want so the cooldown is lower, this way we can spot those OP DD's whenever we want with our plane hehe :Smile_teethhappy::cap_haloween:

• Boring 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
607 posts
5,965 battles

there is a mod that allow you to switch on the fly between normal aim/spotter aim, when the plane is up

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
1 hour ago, Flavio1997 said:

there is a mod that allow you to switch on the fly between normal aim/spotter aim, when the plane is up

They are also testing incorporating this function in a future patch.

To be honest I used to hate the view but I forced myself to learn it and now it's not too bad. Still a bit annoying.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

Tbh I'd love to be able to enter that view even without a plane up, it can be ridiculously useful. That's literally the best thing about floatplane spotters, and pretty much the reason why I always run them. That and their increased sight range over all other planes

Also if you're running Static not Dynamic crosshair then the... was it type 7? The one with those angled lines - makes aiming pretty easy

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Also if you're running Static not Dynamic crosshair then the... was it type 7? The one with those angled lines - makes aiming pretty easy

Yup, this helps a lot.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

Yup, this helps a lot.

Altho the only way to take a deflection shot in spotter view is by instinct :D

[IRON7]
Players
116 posts
962 battles

And here I thought that the entire point of the spotter plane was the changed viewpoint while its active.

I personally use it to better shoot at targets hiding behind islands who would otherwise be obscured from view.

• Cool 3

Players
671 posts
7,930 battles

I have never personally got on with spotter planes and don't use them but seeing what Zimbit mentioned about stationary island huggers then perhaps I may have another look... For in today's games so many ships hug the islands so if Zimbit is right it may make their position less safe for them.

• Cool 1

Players
112 posts
11 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I have never personally got on with spotter planes and don't use them but seeing what Zimbit mentioned about stationary island huggers then perhaps I may have another look... For in today's games so many ships hug the islands so if Zimbit is right it may make their position less safe for them.

Works best with battleships that has high arcs like the US BBs, if range is somewhat closer. But if you have more range, works with all.

• Cool 1

[TS1]
Players
462 posts
7,152 battles
21 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Tbh I'd love to be able to enter that view even without a plane up, it can be ridiculously useful. That's literally the best thing about floatplane spotters, and pretty much the reason why I always run them. That and their increased sight range over all other planes

I'd love to have a dynamic crosshairs with angled lines.

Also, does spotter plane lower dispersion or do anything with the aim assistance? Since it seems like when I have a spotter plane up the shells more often go to where I aim, even if that's off target, with a tighter grouping. Or is that just the angle making it seem like that?

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,115 posts
11,275 battles
On 17.7.2018 at 4:20 AM, BorgCymru said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again

The gun sight system SUCKS when you have a spotter plane in the air 

[NED]
Players
4,020 posts
10,879 battles

It's not really useful for long range shots. More so for lobbing over rocks.

And indeed: I'd highly appreciate a call back function. Situations can change quickly. I even wouldn't mind if the active time still runs.

Players
560 posts

If the spotter plane was the default aiming view and we only went into the current default view when popping radar (for example) we'd have threads saying "I can't aim for s*** when I turn my radar on".

It's all down to what you're used to.

Some half decent cross hairs in spotter plane view would help too.

The more I use the spotter plane the better I've been getting at it. Although it still helps if I'm using a high rate of fire ship to walk the shells in.

I find it easier to hit ships that are sailing away at an awkward angle with the spotter plane than the default view.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
4 hours ago, Runegrem said:

Also, does spotter plane lower dispersion or do anything with the aim assistance? Since it seems like when I have a spotter plane up the shells more often go to where I aim, even if that's off target, with a tighter grouping. Or is that just the angle making it seem like that?

No, at least not that I know of.

It's probably the side effect of you having better control over the vertical aimpoint than normally

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

Yeah, I think dispersion generally is a lot better than people realise until they have a bird's eye view to actually see it properly. The other weirdness from the PoV is how steeply shells seem to fall. 

For me the main use of the spotter is extending the range on a small number of ships that can actually make use of that.

The main issue I have is actually with broadside targets, shots fall short with a typical waterline aim so you need to deliberately aim high to compensate.

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
On 2018-07-17 at 4:57 AM, BorgCymru said:

I just don't use spotter planes now 

Problem is that if u like to play Zao or Hinden its one of the most OP consumables, because you can burn down any T10 BB with eaze using that. Dont know how many kiting/running BB i have melted using the plane. What ive learned using it is that u always need to aim lower then you think to hit the right spot.

I only wish there was a button allowing me to switch between plane view and ship view when the plane is in the air, because if you suddenly awitch to a target much close you tend to over shoot a mile or two, and using the RMB to quickswitch between zoomed in and out can be a bit tricky. 

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,123 posts
2,189 battles
On 7/17/2018 at 5:40 AM, Zimbit said:

I want to repeat that.

The only fair way to apply that, would be to ALL consumables, and do you really want to be able to turn radar or hydro off after a target has been spoted and/or dispatched for example?

It makes those game mechanics insanely more powerful. Part of the way things work now is 'knowing; when is the best time to pop your consumable,

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
22 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

What ive learned using it is that u always need to aim lower then you think to hit the right spot.

Do I have it backwards then?

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles
2 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Do I have it backwards then?

I do believe so. Ive learned it from Flamu and he usually knows his crap and when i started to aim lower i get much better hits. That said i still think this plane-aim can get a bit buggy at times, specially if ships hide behind islands. I also mostly use this to melt BBs with long range HE spam, not using it to much to get citadells on broadsiding targets.

• Cool 1

Players
112 posts
1 hour ago, Fat_Maniac said:

The only fair way to apply that, would be to ALL consumables, and do you really want to be able to turn radar or hydro off after a target has been spoted and/or dispatched for example?

It makes those game mechanics insanely more powerful. Part of the way things work now is 'knowing; when is the best time to pop your consumable,

I can't agree. How do they become more powerful? 

If a consumable is short term (duration) and cooldown is long, it is not that much of a big matter because you cancel like 20 sec of your 45 sec RADAR and then still have to wait full 120 SEC. 

If the cunsumable duration is long like spotter plane, you cancel the spotter and still wait for the full cooldown duration. 

Think for repair party. You don't want to cancel that, since the full benefit can be gained by waiting for the whole duration of action.

I think it is still plausible (to be able to cancel a consumable middle action), because you still lose one consumable, and still have to wait for the full cooldown duration.

In some situations, it can even be a mistake to cancel earlier then needed so canceling needs to be done wisely.