Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
aviaxis

MAX Dispersion value

7 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
170 posts
12,384 battles

Hello,

Can anyone please explain what is the Max Dispersion value?

Yamato Dispersion:
- Max Dispersion 275,0 m
- Min H Dispersion 178 m
- Min V Dispersion 626 m

I understand what Horizontal and Vertical dispersion is... but I don't understand the Max dispersion number... is it Vertical? is it Horizontal?... is it something else?

what about the Aiming System Modification 1 upgrade, the one that improves this Max dispersion number by 7%... does it also improve the Vertical dispersion or the horizontal dispersion?

Thank you,

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

Must be horizontal. determining the maximum width of the elliptical shot pattern. the other is minimum values

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
14 minutes ago, aviaxis said:

Hello,

Can anyone please explain what is the Max Dispersion value?

Yamato Dispersion:
- Max Dispersion 275,0 m
- Min H Dispersion 178 m
- Min V Dispersion 626 m

I understand what Horizontal and Vertical dispersion is... but I don't understand the Max dispersion number... is it Vertical? is it Horizontal?... is it something else?

what about the Aiming System Modification 1 upgrade, the one that improves this Max dispersion number by 7%... does it also improve the Vertical dispersion or the horizontal dispersion?

Thank you,

Its the overall horizontal dispersion at your top current range (eg this number increases if you use a spotter plane, range mod etc.). Its a pretty bad indicator for your accuracy as it doesnt tell anything about your actual dispersion at closer ranges. For example IJN ships are more accurate at >10km range, but every other nations BBs are more accurate at <10km range. Ofc also a terrible indicator also because its just the max horizontal dispersion. So for example IJN BBs (and roma) have high V disp and low H disp, but most other nations have bad vice versa making the former more accurate against angled targets and the latter against broadside targets. 

Since almost no ships have the same range, comparing ships om max disp is close to useless. H and V disp are the numbers to look at.

Aiming systems mod afaik only makes the max dispersion lower. The min and max values arent affected. Im pretty sure the mod also makes the max V dispersion lower, but thats a value I have yet to see anywhere.

Aiming systems mod is def a mod worth having on most high tier Cruisers and especially BBs. It can give you an theoretical hit rate of 10%+ at long ranges. 

[XTREM]
Players
170 posts
12,384 battles
15 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Its the overall horizontal dispersion at your top current range (eg this number increases if you use a spotter plane, range mod etc.). Its a pretty bad indicator for your accuracy as it doesnt tell anything about your actual dispersion at closer ranges. For example IJN ships are more accurate at >10km range, but every other nations BBs are more accurate at <10km range. Ofc also a terrible indicator also because its just the max horizontal dispersion. So for example IJN BBs (and roma) have high V disp and low H disp, but most other nations have bad vice versa making the former more accurate against angled targets and the latter against broadside targets. 

Since almost no ships have the same range, comparing ships om max disp is close to useless. H and V disp are the numbers to look at.

Aiming systems mod afaik only makes the max dispersion lower. The min and max values arent affected. Im pretty sure the mod also makes the max V dispersion lower, but thats a value I have yet to see anywhere.

Aiming systems mod is def a mod worth having on most high tier Cruisers and especially BBs. It can give you an theoretical hit rate of 10%+ at long ranges. 

thanks, this helps a lot...

it also means that aiming system mod 1 would benefit more the ships with high max horizontal dispersion (and low max vertical dispersion) like Republique...

Dispersion
- Max Dispersion 321,0 m
- Min H Dispersion139 m
- Min V Dispersion 387 m

... or wait... it's still dependent on how the dispersion function goes with the distance... getting bigger or smaller ....

[HAERT]
Players
2,025 posts

I find it easiest to think of the horizontal dispersion as a V shape with the distance between the 2 top points shortened by the Aiming Systems mod. Obviously it's of greatest benefit on ships with a large horizontal dispersion. Obviously on closer targets the distance between the effective top of the V is smaller so the shell grouping is tighter. That all being said there's an element of RNG as the shells fall inside a defined ellipse at any given range.

If you increase your range with a Gun Fire Control System or Spotter the length of the lines is longer so the gap is wider at max range.

Simplistic, but close enough as far as I'm aware.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
2 hours ago, aviaxis said:

- Max Dispersion 275,0 m
- Min H Dispersion 178 m
- Min V Dispersion 626 m

Max Dispersion - Horizontal dispersion at max range. Changes linearly, but the tip of the cone is behind not on your ship. Think of a big V on the water

Min H. Dispersion - presumably width of the cone at the point where your ship is (not 0 bcuz as stated before - tip of the cone is behind you). Was going to test these values, but WG decided not to give us free module mounting / demounting for CB. Since it's taken from some site it can be inaccurate (could it be this one -> https://wowsft.com/ that you used? Dispersion numbers they give often don't line up with what you have shown in-game)

Min V. Dispersion - presumably width of vertical dispersion at max range. Afaik unlike H. dispersion, which increases, your V. dispersion actually becomes tighter over distance, but this change is not linear. Again - this number could be completely wrong

EHNMwZ0.png

That module does improve H. dispersion, but does it affect V. dispersion aswell? Who knows, your guess is as good as mine

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
3 hours ago, aviaxis said:

thanks, this helps a lot...

it also means that aiming system mod 1 would benefit more the ships with high max horizontal dispersion (and low max vertical dispersion) like Republique...

Not really. Only BBs that benefit "less" would be IJN ones as they have low max values, though were only talking a few percentage points at max range. Min V and H disp doesnt really affect the effectiveness of Aiming systems or Artillery plotting room.

3 hours ago, aviaxis said:

... or wait... it's still dependent on how the dispersion function goes with the distance... getting bigger or smaller ....

Well Aiming systems will have a bigger impact on your base accuracy the further the range (larger max dispersion). So increase in theoretical hit rate when slotting Aiming systems might be somewhere around 5% at 10km, but be closer to 10% at 20 km.

So to help deciding whether or not to slot Aiming systems you can imagine on what range you spend the majority of your matches shooting the enemy. 

Personally for CAs 

Majority of damage on 13+ km = aiming systems

So for me I use aiming systems on Moskva, Zao, Hburg, Henri. I dont use it on Des Moines and Minotaur (and wooster when I get it).

BBs

Majority of damage on 10+ km = qaiming systems, which means all of them (except GK when I use IFHE secondary build).

A small touch on what Wilkatis said. As the angle of fall for the shell becomes steeper, the V dispersion seems to become smaller or at least stop growing. Im pretty sure this is true for the max V disp, but dont know whether its true or not for min V disp.

Again this is all personal testing, experience and interpretation of datamined values. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sign in to follow this