Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ferry_25

My tin foil hat is squeezing my skull

28 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles

I'm asking for your help. Had this, utterly atrocious match, no doubt about that, with Dallas. There was an enemy Scharnhorst who shot the living daylights out of me. Over islands, me dodging like an imbecile (other ships were barely able to hit me) but that player shot me to bits, citadeling me like I was nothing. Again: no matter how many islands I had and no direct line of sight (as far as I could see). I thought: wow! That player must be a pro. But checking out his (her?) stats I found out this was his first or second match in Scharnhorst ever. With not too much matches under his belt to begin with (700-ish IIRC). That Scharnhorst was on my *ss all the time. but also a Spee with much better distance and angle. Dodged as unpredictable as I could. The Spee didn't hit zip Sh*t on my while that Scharnhorst did 1 catastrophic hit after the other.

Now I'm 99% sure I screwed up somewhere or that S was very lucky (sorry, I don't buy it he was that good, regarding his stats. I would have bought it if he had like 1000 matches in it under his belt). But there's that 1% nagging tin foil hat which gives me a headache this guy was an aim cheater. I have the replay but I can't post it for not to name and shame. Would anybody like to take the time and watch it and get me back on my feet to eliminate that 1% and tell me where and how I screwed up? Let me know in PM and I'll send the replay. Again: a lousy boring ROFL stomp match on the receiving end. It's that Scharnhorst which is bugging me to hell.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

He was probably just riding the 'good luck wave' for buying a premium bb. No need for that tinfoil hat :Smile_great:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Don't need to be skilled to have luck, unless your name is Isamu Alfa "luck is just a another one of my skillls!" Dyson. :Smile_glasses:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles

German BBs are so inaccurate that it ironically becomes rather easy to hit dodging targets with them.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles
19 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Replay....

Sh*t. How do I send this? I can't do it through PM which I just found out

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles
16 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Use https://replayswows.com/. Sometimes they make a YT video out of your replay and you can watch it anytime.

PM-ed you Colonel

Edit: again: a very lousy match. I knew that right away. That's not the point in question here.

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles
  • hist first salvo is a tricky one as you were behind islands, but you showed broadside 16km from him, I bet he has done that before as this position is not known to many, but you have a firing solution through the gaps to the cap, I have done such shots myself
  • his second salvo missed completly and he did not target you for a few minutes
  • his third salvo hit you completly broadside again from 12 to 13km, you were spotted and far enough away from the island that his salvo could clear the island, had you been closer to the island, he could not have hit you
  • afther that you angled and he shot you from 10 to 11 km while you moved slowly (a lot of turning and not full speed, at one time you moved with 15 knots), his fourth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his fifth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his sixth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his seventh salvo missed
  • his eighth salvo hit from 9.5 km, did minimal damage and sank you

Most of his shots were easy.

The first one was indeed hard/lucky, but doable, the third was your fault/his luck, but not difficult to hit in itself as you were spotted and he logged on to you.

• Cool 5

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles

Yeah -10km distance from a Schanhorst is deadly for any Cruiser to be in fact. Have tried it often enough to believe that. Try to stay further away and full speed to dodge. With the high firing angles of US Cruisers, you can easily just hug the island so close it will be difficult to hit you there. Except with another US Cruiser, of course. CL's also have no armor to speak of so any hit, angled or not will not be very likely to bounce and therefore will do some damage.:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,208 battles
10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  • hist first salvo is a tricky one as you were behind islands, but you showed broadside 16km from him, I bet he has done that before as this position is not known to many, but you have a firing solution through the gaps to the cap, I have done such shots myself
  • his second salvo missed completly and he did not target you for a few minutes
  • his third salvo hit you completly broadside again from 12 to 13km, you were spotted and far enough away from the island that his salvo could clear the island, had you been closer to the island, he could not have hit you
  • afther that you angled and he shot you from 10 to 11 km while you moved slowly (a lot of turning and not full speed, at one time you moved with 15 knots), his fourth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his fifth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his sixth salvo hit for minimal damage
  • his seventh salvo missed
  • his eighth salvo hit from 9.5 km, did minimal damage and sank you

Most of his shots were easy.

The first one was indeed hard/lucky, but doable, the third was your fault/his luck, but not difficult to hit in itself as you were spotted and he logged on to you.

Thx for clearing it up. I don't understand why so many people call "aim-bot" in a game like this, where you have an eternity to evade the shot, if you WASD. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,893 posts
11,301 battles

Cruiser life... Unfortuantely I've found that dodging late in a Cruiser can almost make things worse as you make your armour thicker and allows BB shells more time to arm inside the ship. I can recall quite a few onw shot deaths in Crusiers where I've tried to dodge and the shells have gone into me at an angle resulting in much lols.

Mind you, I wonder how that Zao feels about me 1 shotting him in a Monty from 24km last Ranked Season. :cap_haloween:

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,081 posts
3,831 battles

It was just bad luck (and a bit of too much broadside). Happens all the time (to me, in my cruisers).

Cheer up, still love you!

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles
5 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Mind you, I wonder how that Zao feels about me 1 shotting him in a Monty from 24km last Ranked Season. :cap_haloween:

:etc_swear:YOU NOTTY BOY!?:cap_hmm::Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,893 posts
11,301 battles
Just now, RAHJAILARI said:

:etc_swear:YOU NOTTY BOY!?:cap_hmm::Smile_Default:

I should make a Gif of it or something. 

Since Ranked has low CVs I went full ret@rd mode with Artillery Plotting room and Spotter so such cheese RNG snipes were possible. Had plenty of decent strikes but only one epic long range sniper shot last season. I imagine WG staff reviewed the replay of it as I doubt I could repeat the shot now.

Still a bit of a thread hijack :Smile_hiding:

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles

Yeeah @Negativvv, I was also once insta-blapped in a Mogami from something like 19km away by an unusually devious and unsporting Montana, when I temporarily forgot to wiggle for just  a minute due to no immediate close range threats (within 15km), was still spotted tho after firing and the lad just blew me up from the other end of the map in 1 salvo. I have remembered to keep a wary eye out for any lurking far-off Montys (or any T10 BB's, in fact) ever since. Well, OK granted that Mogami has no armor to speak of so you don't even have to be broadside on to anyone to get citadelled either. One of its most annoying features to be sure :cap_old:

You know how it is - Die horribly and learn... Or some such thingy anyways. :Smile_great::Smile_teethhappy:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,893 posts
11,301 battles
3 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeeah @Negativvv, I was also once insta-blapped in a Mogami from something like 19km away by an unusually devious and unsporting Montana, when I temporarily forgot to wiggle for just  a minute due to no immediate close range threats (within 15km), was still spotted tho after firing and the lad just blew me up from the other end of the map in 1 salvo. I have remembered to keep a wary eye out for any lurking far-off Montys (or any T10 BB's, in fact) ever since. :cap_old:

You know how it is - Die horribly and learn... Or some such thingy anyways. :Smile_great::Smile_teethhappy:

Well IMO Monty is a prime example of how the meta shifts towards a heavy BB bias at the higher tiers.

When you've got  potentially100k HP of heavy armour with 12 balanced high calibre AP guns that are actually accurate then other ships often pale in comparison. Higher tier BBs can often laugh off DD attacks as taking 20k of torp damage in 1 salvo is meh as you've got so much HP and you know for a fact that DD will have something like a 2 min reload before they can try again. 

IJN Cruisers feel especially vulnerable because of the torps on their deck although OP's soft shelled USN CLs are also prime targets :Smile_hiding:

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles
11 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

IJN Cruisers feel especially vulnerable because of the torps on their deck although OP's soft shelled USN CLs are also prime targets :Smile_hiding:

True - that had occurred to me too, that is why I would prefer a Mogami or an Ibuki or some such over an USN CL, because you can always simply stop shooting, when in poor health and just become a Torpedoboat instead. Of course, ideally all enemy DD's should be dead for best effect but it still works just as long as they keep chasing you around. US CL's have the misfortune of not having that option (or some other emergency survival mechanism like smoke, speedboost or awesome concealment to allow you to escape, when in tight spot - Also not particularly fast either) which makes them much more vulnerable.:cap_old:

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles

Thanks for the replies people! As I already presumed, it was indeed me screwing up. Glad I can toss my TFH away now.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,893 posts
11,301 battles
4 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Thanks for the replies people! As I already presumed, it was indeed me screwing up. Glad I can toss my TFH away now.

Well the RNG in this game is why I think it'll never be more than a semi casual game. Or atleast not a high level pro gaming platform. 

I'm not saying the game isn't skillful but it's more of a game of risk managment and risk vs reward decisions. 

Your situation might have worked out in your favour another day and that arguably isn't entirely dependant on the enemy BBs skill or your own awareness due to the dice rolls. That doesn't make a game feel all that fair sometimes. 

• Cool 1

[T_D_G]
Players
367 posts
8,002 battles
13 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

He was probably just riding the 'good luck wave' for buying a premium bb. No need for that tinfoil hat :Smile_great:

Scharnhorst is the fear of CAs, and that player must have played in his second account and knew how to use the ship already, so... He just wanted you dead and got it.

Players
112 posts

I think it is kind of luck.

I one shotted a full health Hindenburg in the last ranked season. 47 K something. He was at 18-19 km, slightly angled but turning his broadside into my shells. It was in the first 3 minute or so.

RNG is involved, strongly.

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles
1 minute ago, Zimbit said:

I think it is kind of luck.

I one shotted a full health Hindenburg in the last ranked season. 47 K something. He was at 18-19 km, slightly angled but turning his broadside into my shells. It was in the first 3 minute or so.

RNG is involved, strongly.

Dude, you are doing it all wrong.:Smile_facepalm: In these cases, it is TRADITIONAL to claim SKILL every time. It is RNG only, if you happen to miss. :Smile_great:

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,126 posts
2,202 battles
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

Good luck in Dallas. Not tried her yet, and not sure I want to given the number of them I've met so far and managed to 'touch' in thoroughly dirty and inappropriate ways. Dallas really does seem to pop very easily.