Rusty_9

Leningrad... Dedicated captain or not!?

18 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles

So...

Recently got me a Leningrad + 10 pt captain in a SC - my first prem ship.

I'm 80% decided on having this as a dedicated captain - At some point I will grind the RU DD line but I'm already part way through several lines so not yet, and I'll just develop a new captain as I play the line!

Current captain build is PT, LS and BFT... I can't decide whether I should co CE or AFT next? AFAIK, AFT is 'standard' RU DD build but CE is a (more) viable option on the Leningrad? Or have I already mucked up my first 6 points!?

In terms of ship upgrades, I'm thinking Main Arm 1, Propulsion Mod 1, Aiming Mod 1 and Propulsion Mod 2. Comments?

And damn, it's a fun ship. It was a 'bit' flukey (I'm a terribad player) but my second game made me love the ship (I detonated in my first one - forgot the flags:fish_palm:)...

Spoiler

Note - this is a 6 pt captain and no ship upgrades mounted. Basically got lucky with DoT (bad RCP management by reds) despite the poor driving!

Cheers :Smile_honoring:

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

SE is better than BFT at 3 points. If you're going dedicated captain go CE and then EM. Leningrad works as a typical AFT long range spam boat but it's far more versatile than that and is really fun with stealth torping and some skills to give it a bit of brawling ability.

• Cool 1

[OLEUM]
Players
59 posts
13,402 battles

you can of course use your Leningrad captain on other boats, .even though the captain's build might not be ideal.

you need more points  then 10 for a good Leningrad captain, 16 I think

build  something like this, priority target

last stand,

on the third line there is some choice  survivability expert, vigilance, or something else, 

than concealment.for the first 10 points, now you are a reasonable torpedo boat.

with the following points you also make a Leningrad gunboat

for the next two points expert marksman

than advanced firing training.

more points are bonus points, for anything from three line

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,100 battles

wait for next patch .... In one of the recent Dev blogs, WG stated they are considering changing the turret traverse of gnevny/minsk to 18 seconds, if this happens to the Leningrad as well (it's a Minsk with 8km torps basically) then you don't need a dedicated Leningrad captain and you an use the higher tier captains much better.

EDIT: I use my Udaloi captain on the Leningrad, it's a weird captain but still works nice (has EM and CE).

• Cool 1

[SKRUB]
Players
141 posts
12,514 battles

If you want a dedicate cpt on Leningrad, Flamy did a pretty strong build on it.

Also the useless soviet captain :

Victor Znamenskiy

Spoiler

"Routine Maintenance": 

-45% (Default: -30) to the risk of incapacitation of modules.
"Expert Marksman": 

+3 deg/sec (Default: +2.5) to the traverse speed of the guns with a calibre of below 139 mm.
+1 deg/sec (Default: +0.7) to the traverse speed of the guns with a calibre of 139 mm and above.
"High Alert": 

-20% (Default: -10%) to the reload time of the "Damage Control Party" consumable.

Will make this ship even more strong.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles

I use my Grozovoi skipper with Leningrad. Works fine for me.

My skill-priority for russ hightier DD:

PT

LS

SE

CE (lets you torp unseen)

after that back down the line:

AFT

SI (I tend to use all the smokes usually and because of Grozovois heal ...)

AR

I would not want to give up concealment ... definitely not.

• Cool 1

[WGP2D]
Players
149 posts
10,166 battles

I'm using a full gun-spec Khaba or Grozovoi captain. I don't care about concealment and torps are a nice bonus but nothing more :cap_haloween:

But since you get actually decent concealment for T7, playing the Leningrad more as a standard DD works as well. And with that speed you can relocate and torp your victims from angles they don't expect at all:Smile_glasses:

The turret traverse is mildly annoying but you can't have everything :etc_hide_turtle:

tl;dr    play it like you want, it's a fun ship!

• Cool 2

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I've done a bit of a random build (based on not wanting to spend doubloons to correct my previous choices plus advice given here) - it's PT, LS, BFT and CE

After a few potato games in it, just had one now where (for me) it started to click as a multi-role DD. And then my PC died with 6 mins left to go (I manged to pull the power plug out with my foot :fish_boom::etc_swear::Smile_facepalm:!!!!) . Nothing truly record breaking but 71k dmg, 2 floods, 5 fires, 1 cap and 1 assist, 3 kills and a double strike was quite enjoyable.

Leningrad.PNG.ac60285b90136a297842caeb20a9d38f.PNG

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,825 battles
On 21. 7. 2018 at 1:17 PM, Lebedjev said:

If you want a dedicate cpt on Leningrad, Flamy did a pretty strong build on it.

Also the useless soviet captain :

Victor Znamenskiy

Reveal hidden contents

"Routine Maintenance": 

-45% (Default: -30) to the risk of incapacitation of modules.
"Expert Marksman": 

+3 deg/sec (Default: +2.5) to the traverse speed of the guns with a calibre of below 139 mm.
+1 deg/sec (Default: +0.7) to the traverse speed of the guns with a calibre of 139 mm and above.
"High Alert": 

-20% (Default: -10%) to the reload time of the "Damage Control Party" consumable.

Will make this ship even more strong.

Where do I get this master of the Leningrads? I want him now!

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Should do fine with a Minsk skipper me thinks, after all the Minsk is basically a Leningrad with worse torps..

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
5 hours ago, lafeel said:

Should do fine with a Minsk skipper me thinks, after all the Minsk is basically a Leningrad with worse torps..

But now better turret traverse, no?

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,546 battles
19 hours ago, Blixies said:

Where do I get this master of the Leningrads? I want him now!

He was available on some missions around May I think, I missed him too. And his brother. And a couple german captains (but I've got plenty of those)

I think I've read somewhere they will be all available soon for credits/coal or whatever.

If you are going to knife-fight,  EM is a must have for any Leningrad captain IMO, up there with Last Stand as a level 2 skill.

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles

If one thing is for sure: avoid knife fights like hell !

I even once was defeated by a T5 Nicholas with an extraordinary Pilot at the helm. He outdanced me in a way I could not compete with. When I overcame my deeply hurt pride it was too late.

Sometimes it just happens, but if I have a choice, I dont go toe-to-toe as long as my prey has more than 5-10k life left.

That is the amount of life I can strip of in 2-3 salvoes. If you need more to kill him, you play a dangerous game. :Smile_smile:

[SKRUB]
Players
141 posts
12,514 battles

Errr if nicholas destroy you in a Leningrad, it only mean you had play very bad...

Because you can and sometime you should remove ennemy dd at the start.

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles

well, that can happen pretty fast ...

in this game the start went pretty smooth with a cap.

But the CV got me focussed when retreating, dodged the torps but ended up half life after bombs.

And then the Nicholas showed up  from the "wrong" side and he was a good one.

When I finally had manouvred to bring my guns to bear I was down to a quarter and dead shortly after.

I dont mind you saying "bad play" if thats your opinion.

I just say the Leningrad is utterly vulnerable to a well played US DD in any knifefight, thats all.

As long as you can pick your fight, have your turrets in the right direction and get the first salvoe off, all is fine.

But if not ... things can get down the wrong way very fast.

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles
On 2018-8-2 at 7:49 AM, VC381 said:

But now better turret traverse, no?

You know, I completely forgot about that..

Players
939 posts
4,998 battles
On 16-7-2018 at 2:43 PM, Rusty_9 said:

I'm 80% decided on having this as a dedicated captain

On 21-7-2018 at 1:17 PM, Lebedjev said:

Victor Znamenskiy

I'm experimenting with a shared Grozovoi, Leningrad, Okhotnik captain. 19 points Russian special commander Viktor whatshisname

PM

EM, AR

SE, SI,

AFT, CE

This build suits all three boats, although I would go for BFT / DE instead of SI if I wasn't using this captain for Grozovoi as well. The obvious risk you're taking here is that LS is skipped completely. This goes against the religious belief that you should take LS on destroyers, but enables you to take AR instead. With the special captains boost to PM effectiveness, you're safer than normal. I died once because of rudder and engine getting knocked out after a previous repair, and with smoke on cooldown. In about 2 dozen games between all ships. This happened in the Leningrad when I was caught by a close range Nurnberg and Mahan where I didn't expect them. So I would say the reload boost in exchange for the small chance that you get focused down so hard that your rudder and engine keep getting knocked out (you would probably die anyway) is worth it.

This reminds me that I need to check if I'm using the -% chacne to damage to engine or rudder mod on these ships. I'm not sure I am.

[SVX]
[SVX]
Beta Tester
3 posts
13,736 battles

I use my Grozovoi-line captain for Leningrad and Gremyascshy, they play more similarly with good stealth, guns and torps but pretty fragile if caught out.

PT, LS, AR, SE, SI, DE, CE.

• Cool 1