You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Xanta99

Poll: Is it time to change the number of DDs in Ops

Poll: Is it time to change the number of DDs allowed in Ops?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How many DDs should MM allow into T6/7 Ops?

• Fine as it is now (seems to be up to 3)
    • None at all

25 comments in this topic

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
83 posts
4,240 battles

A quick poll to see what people think of the current MM allowing games in Ops with 3 DDs (possibly more, not seen that though).  Clearly this does not affect Hermes or Cherry Blossom.  I accept that DDs can be very viable in Ops, played well - I've carried many myself in one.  But that doesn't change the fact that I facepalm when loading in and see 2 or even 3 on the team list.  The team is already down a vast number of HP when that many get added, especially if they replace BBs and especially if we ALSO get a CV.

Opinions?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
2,889 posts
5,163 battles

I agree. Two days ago I got 3 DDs in my team - half of our team didnt make it pass the first 4 minutes and it was the first loss I can remember in the current OP. The absoute max. imo is 2. Had this before aswell, was hard but somewhat manageble.

[_MIA_]
Players
2,929 posts
5,358 battles

I did make a screenshot of this 3 DD game, was for different reasons but it pretty much shows where everyone died. Horribly unfun to play, might aswell quit next time it happens...

I voted for 1 DD max, 2 might be tolerable, but 1 is ok when taking into account that there might be a CV too. Otherwise u have 2DD+CV and its as bad as 3 DDs in terms of damage tanking/dealing capability.

shot-18.07.13_16.57.06-0775.jpg

[PUPSI]
Players
5,871 posts

oh yes, in most scenarios DDs are not really useful. One might be ok, but not more. No AA, do hitpoints/armour to tank, no reliable damage,... I had a game with 4 cruisers and 3 DDs and of course there was no chance at all to win...and it is extremly dissapointing if you know already before the match starts that you have no chance to win...

And I really cannot understand why players chose DDs in scenarios like Ägide...it should be clear for everyone that DDs are the worst choice and that you only sabotage your team...

And that's a reason why I like cherry blossom with its cruiser-only philosophy...

[PMI]
[PMI]
Players
1,979 posts
4,964 battles

Voted none at all.

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
83 posts
4,240 battles

Just had a 4 star win with three DDs but it was very, very hard work. Still, was more than I expected to happen.  Although Aigles are mini-cruisers

shot-18_07.16_10_45.39-0977.thumb.jpg.d478ed6f5816578ade5cac369dc974c2.jpg

But 1 DD definitely can work (5 stars):

shot-18_07.16_10_45.58-0361.thumb.jpg.a42503d7e30359f47a4dbb944f097c5e.jpg

[HOME]
[HOME]
Weekend Tester
943 posts
8,836 battles

190k in my Aigle last night on current operation.

We had a Monaghan that died within the first 90 seconds and our BB and 2 cruisers hid behind an island with our CV....

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
160 posts

Obviously you can get DD players that perform well in OPs but in general they feel quite a bit weaker than the other classes - die quickly, low damage etc

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles
3 hours ago, Klopirat said:

And I really cannot understand why players chose DDs in scenarios like Ägide...it should be clear for everyone that DDs are the worst choice and that you only sabotage your team...

Because OPS are a good place to grind modules and retrain captains if you don't want to use free XP.

2 hours ago, Juanx said:

Voted none at all.

Why should the good things be reserved for BB & CA only?

Perhaps WG should add 3 or 4 DD focused operations to the rotation and exclude everybody else from them.

• Cool 4

Players
2,889 posts
5,163 battles
5 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Perhaps WG should add 3 or 4 DD focused operations to the rotation and exclude everybody else from them.

Wouldnt be a bad thing I guess. But why do I feel negativity in your comment tho?

In the same way you could make OPs for CVs only. You can think of quite some OPs - historical or made up - to give a CV player something to do. I´d love it. Same for the DD-only missions.

• Cool 2

[_MIA_]
Players
2,929 posts
5,358 battles
1 minute ago, Capra76 said:

DDs would perform better if the Bots would just eat those torps instead of cheat their way away from them. This weeks operation is not even the worst, as u usually can hit 1-2 torps even from stealth torping range, but its still worse than just letting them be because they eat citadels all day long. U torp them = they evade = no more broadside for your teammates = everyone hates DDs in operations, because all other Botships close by will dodge too.

In the end its funny how the bots are fine by getting citadelled to death, yet torps are a no-no...

• Cool 2

Players
2,182 posts
13,957 battles
24 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Why should the good things be reserved for BB & CA only?

That would not be good, my ears could not stand the whine.

Players
2,182 posts
13,957 battles
53 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

How about fixing the ops to make DDs more viable?

Now you are just being silly.  :Smile_smile:

Players
2,016 posts
5,926 battles

One DD should be more then enough.

The more DDs are in the team, the worse the team performs including the odd good DD player. And still, if a good player plays well in a DD, he probably would've played even better in a CL.

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles

Either make ops more DD friendly or just cut them out. Apart from the occasional mini-cruiser DD, they are pretty much crap and not worth it. There's little to no point in bringing a DD over about any cruiser to the T6 or T7 missions. Especially ones like Aegis with no repair makes them pretty much just ships with sub-par sustain and dpm, while their scouting potential is of very limited value and bots torp beat like hell. I understand ops can still be won with a single DD, but frankly if you had put a Leander or Fiji in their place, it would've practically been easier. Thus, as long as DDs have no real role in these missions, lacking the qualities required while mostly having ones that are not asked for, I'm for none. Maybe make future ops with DD tasks or DD only ops, appropriate for this type of ship. Dunno. Tokyo Express run and night battle for Kitakaze/Harugumo release?

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,954 battles

DDs so weak in Ops :cap_like:

[POI--]
Players
3,192 posts
4,334 battles
35 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Take a Budyonny or Nürnberg and you are better off though.

Beta Tester
1,349 posts
6 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Because OPS are a good place to grind modules and retrain captains if you don't want to use free XP.

My experience has been that if you lose in a scenario, which consensus holds is more likely the more DDs are in the queue, you may as well have played random battles and suicided into the nearest cap gunning for the opposing DD for a better ratio of time invested to XP gained.

• Cool 1

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
160 posts
1 hour ago, lup3s said:

One swallow does not a summer make

• Funny 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,954 battles
6 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Take a Budyonny or Nürnberg and you are better off though.

Nah citadel damage is too high ... can't get as many then :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

Players
380 posts
19 hours ago, Capra76 said:

People have asked for them to rework the Dunkirk scenario and I think one based on the Battle of Samar Island has been suggested as well (which would be DDs and CVs, if you are playing as the defenders).

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,954 battles

Or (like the Dunkirk Op) make a DD Op where you're attacked by CVs .. Kidd with BFT + AFT + ManAA ftw :Smile_trollface: