Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MassiveDYT

Gearing + Fletcher Torps

40 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles

Ok, 

When Yeuyang came out, Gearing was kinda made obsolete because YY is such an overpwerforming DD.

However, with the ability to equip Mk16 torpedoes, the Gearing has been reborn in my opinion, and is currently my favorite DD.

Setup for maximum torp reload (80 secs), and equipped with +50% engine boost time module + superintendent, Gearing is now a godlike torpedo boat, my damage went up a solid 50-80k per game since I mounted my Gearing with mk16 torps and redone my captain skills, I'm in love with Gearing yet again, and thank you WG for this update!

:cap_win:

• Cool 2

Players
59 posts
6,737 battles

How do you manage the cv ? I can't play without def aa on my fletcher, sold my shima yesterday because of cv nulifying my already shitty torps and when spotted you get the full package in your face, then back to port.

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
10 minutes ago, Maye35 said:

How do you manage the cv ? I can't play without def aa on my fletcher, sold my shima yesterday because of cv nulifying my already shitty torps and when spotted you get the full package in your face, then back to port.

I now play Gearing exclusively as a sneaky assassin ship, I use RPF, if it's a CV matchup, I spend early game passively scouting, then try to exploit gearing's speed (with flag and booster 41knots, not bad) and stealth and RPF combo to get behind enemy lines, I end up torping CV's quite frequently, if there are no CV's I get a bit more aggro pushing caps, I use RPF to choose the least threatened cap, get it and proceed with the above tactic of getting behind enemy flank, and sit at about 9-10km range on BB' flanks spamming torps, and the mk16 are PHENOMENAL at doing so, even better than YY torps. Because I do not run per level health, I try to avoid fair knife fights, and usually pop up to flank DD's that are already being pushed, or bully the crap out of Jap DD's, or Z52's.

There aren't that many DD's in the game that can solo a Gearing, which makes Gearing a very safe torpedo boat, because if you get surprised by an enemy DD's, most of the time you can just swat them away and continue on your merry away, jap DD's can't do that :P 

It's really funny, giving mk16 torps that are already outstanding on Fletcher, has made the Gearing godlike to me, I now prefer it over YY, and it's my absolute favorite ship, I'm having a blast torping people and keep racking a average of 7-10 torp hits per game

Players
59 posts
6,737 battles

Thanks for the feedback, I'm having fun with the fletcher right now and I like the torpboat gameplay (the role shima had before the nerfbat on torps and bb agility buffs), i'll try your build with spood beest timer.

[UNICS]
Players
2,781 posts
11,530 battles

It might be time to respec the captain and try a different build... Otoh, I've got the Fletcher for torping... :cap_hmm:

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
8 minutes ago, Maye35 said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm having fun with the fletcher right now and I like the torpboat gameplay (the role shima had before the nerfbat on torps and bb agility buffs), i'll try your build with spood beest timer.

Here's the full bulid, I was using similar with regular Gearing torps with reduced ranged and increased torp acceleration, but YY was simply over-performing with same setup and u didn't need to waste 2 points towards torp acceleration, with new mk16 torps I feel like this build is now perfection incarnate, and Gearing is THE torpboat of choice, at least for me :)

I made a thread few months ago complaining about Gearings place / difference in the world where YY exists, but now with mk16' Gearing makes sooo much more sense, and it's a very defined boat over YY

AXkOrwL.png

[TTT]
Players
3,573 posts
7,449 battles

begs the question... why not play the Fletcher instead? better torp platform because it's more maneuverable and faster, better concealment, and you're a tier lower as well... Not that I dislike the addition of these torps on the Gearing, but the hull itself is just too mediocre...

• Cool 1

Players
2,361 posts
15,164 battles
49 minutes ago, MassiveDYT said:

and thank you WG for this update!

This is one of the last mistakes from beta, I'm really surprised WG haven't fixed it yet.

Mark 16 reload for quad launchers is 106s and 133s for quintuple launchers. Fletcher (now Pan Asian and Gearing) use the wrong time. Imagine Yamato having a stock 20s reload, it kinda makes all the other torp boats redundant (baring extreme power creep)

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

begs the question... why not play the Fletcher instead? better torp platform because it's more maneuverable and faster, better concealment, and you're a tier lower as well... Not that I dislike the addition of these torps on the Gearing, but the hull itself is just too mediocre...

Gearing is better platform overall, bow forward Gearing is a nightmare for any DD (except the Khabarovsk ofcourse), 4 forward firing guns with a bit of speed tanking can make quick work of any other DD, if you have no available targets for torps, you can always park behind an island or smoke up and lob shells over and burn them down, Gearing guns are still top DD DPS in the game, alongside YY, Fletcher is a bit more maneuverable sure, but gearing is more versatile, it can perform just as well as Fletcher as a torp boat, and then in other scenarios it can be a DD hunter, a burn-down spammer etc, and most importantly Gearing is very very strong bow fighter against other dd's. The DPS also helps, I had games where i absolutely shattered Minotours from flank using AP, Fletcher cant really do that.

I guess long answer short, Gearing is as good as the Fletchers as a dedicated torpedo boat, with the added versatility of a true hybrid. 

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
6 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

This is one of the last mistakes from beta, I'm really surprised WG haven't fixed it yet.

Mark 16 reload for quad launchers is 106s and 133s for quintuple launchers. Fletcher (now Pan Asian and Gearing) use the wrong time. Imagine Yamato having a stock 20s reload, it kinda makes all the other torp boats redundant (baring extreme power creep)

I agree, Gearings power creep is now insane as a dedicated torpedo boat, I would not play any other DD currently available  in the game for that role, however I think the biggest mistake was releasing YY, it's a terrifying DD that does everything right, perfect torp boat, perfect gun boat, perfect stealth, perfect profile, perfect everything really :/

Gearing was made obsolete, by giving Gearing mk16 torps, i think it was a great idea, Gearing is now a direct upgrade over Fletchers, rather then a side-grade, and has things that are more appealing then YY, which was desperately needed.

Jap DD's get left behind because of this fact, sure, but I think its best to look at actually improving Jap DD's now, giving them more tricks, I think YY and Gearing are perfected now, Z52 is not my favorite DD but also has a very specific perfected role, Russians too

Players
1,419 posts
10,052 battles
2 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Now to the Gearing's advantages.

More gunpower and it faces forward, plus the legendary module making concealment best in the game at 5,4 km.

They are completely different ships now exempting torpedoes.

While the legendary module drops 15% gunpower, you can get 10% back if you want by trading TAE for BFT.

I dont expect the difference to be too noticeable so I will probably try it.

For the purpose of being torpedo boat, will you use the legendary module?

[HAERT]
Players
2,024 posts

I play the Gearing with Fletcher torpedoes, I like it much more now. It's a very nice option to have adding some flavour to the ship.

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
22 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

For the purpose of being torpedo boat, will you use the legendary module?

I don't have it yet, but I will certainly experiment with it.

I'm actually wondering about the possibility of using legendary module, with TASM1 instead of Concealment module. 

Which would keep Gearing at 5.9 (which is more than adequate for a torpedo boat), but would give advantages when capping to not run into random torps, and also better flanking capabilities when ganking smoked DD's, however this is just theoretical and will probably not work well, but I would definitely use legendary module for 5.4km detection range, +15% reload on Gearing guns is not really an issue, it's basically gonna go from 3 seconds to 3.45 seconds, which is then gonna be knocked down by adrenalin , to the point where it will probably wont matter in the long run, especially for a skittish torpedo boat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, I don't think I would switch from TAE to BFT , ever, because In capping scenarios I like to rush the cap early with engine speed boost and then launch torps in RPF direction, which hits a decent amount of time or at least makes the enemy dd turn to avoid, which gives me capping advantage, alot of the times without TAE that would not be possible

Players
1,419 posts
10,052 battles
7 minutes ago, MassiveDYT said:

I'm actually wondering about the possibility of using legendary module, with TASM1 instead of Concealment module. 

AFAIK you cannot do that, as concealment, TASM and legendary modules all compete for the same slot.

If you want torp detection, get Vigilance.

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
15 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

AFAIK you cannot do that, as concealment, TASM and legendary modules all compete for the same slot.

If you want torp detection, get Vigilance.

oh :D oops

vigilance competes for TAE :/ most of the time you can avoid torps just by using your brain, i wouldnt change TAE for vigilance, not worth imo

Players
2,361 posts
15,164 battles
8 hours ago, MassiveDYT said:

by giving Gearing mk16 torps

It's not the mark 16 torpedoes directly, just the incorrect quad reload carried over from beta.

I feel sorry for high tier IJN destroyers that have correct reload times. A balanced 153s compared to 106s for a similar torpedo/launcher is brutal. Shimakaze should get Yūgumos type 93 mod 3 reload for balance (114s)

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles
15 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

It's not the mark 16 torpedoes directly, just the incorrect quad reload carried over from beta.

Incorrect or balancing decision?

Ignoring the over-nerfed IJN, presumably WG think Fletcher is properly balanced for the tier, so if they changed the reload that would make her weaker than other T9 DD.

Also bear in mind that the current radar meta and other smoke nerfs reduces the value of the USN DD's special flavour.

Players
3,267 posts
6,857 battles
5 hours ago, MassiveDYT said:

oh :D oops

vigilance competes for TAE :/ most of the time you can avoid torps just by using your brain, i wouldnt change TAE for vigilance, not worth imo

Or you ditch RPF and get 4x tier 3 skills to play with.

[SWTP]
Players
270 posts
5,655 battles

I love Gearing now even more than before. Finally, it feels like a real upgrade over Fletcher. I had a hard time to get used to handling for first 40 games and had WR in low 40s and nearly sold it but now I am alright  now at 57 WR even with below server averages in kills and damage as I try to be a team player (smoke team and spot) and to play for win and objectives first instead of farming damage on BBs. I am OK with a bit of clumsiness as a trade-off for better than Fletcher front turret location. Kills DDs much better than Fletcher, plus it is as good torpedo boat. With RL I am killing or hurting with this torps often enemy DDs in caps then it is easy to finish them later with guns. I play with Def AA mostly, to get rid of spotters with one press of the button and to panic torpedo bombers if there are any. Only pain is big BB AP damage when radared or knife fighting DDs, most of HP lost this way.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,257 posts
7,335 battles

I totally disagree with OP.

Fletcher torps: 66Knots, 10.5km range, 1.4km detection

Gearing torps: 71knots, 13.2km range, same 1.4km detection even though 5 knot faster... (my reload is 104s, not 133s)

You just hit ships much more reliably with faster torps. You even hit cruisers with those fast ones.  ALSO, with currently having 4-5 radar ships in every game, you end up NOT torping often because you can not even get close with 10.5km ones because they are inside radar range, while 13.2km is out of radar range and you can torp a lot already in the beginning. and radar ships never prevent it.

Also, worth mentioning is that if your Gearing playstyle is avoiding gunfights and flanking to kill CV, you are playing it totally wrong.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Or you ditch RPF and get 4x tier 3 skills to play with.

o.O RPF is a tremendous skill for any DD, especially american torpboat / gunboat hybrid, while torping you always know if something is sneaking behind you or trying to flank you, and as a DD hunter RPF prevents their escp, synergizes well with engine boost, RPF has been my favorite DD skill for a while now, honestly if I had gun to my head and chose Concealment Expert or RPF, I would take RPF 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
45 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

I totally disagree with OP.

Gearing torps: 71knots, 13.2km range, same 1.4km detection even though 5 knot faster... (my reload is 104s, not 133s)

You just hit ships much more reliably with faster torps. You even hit cruisers with those fast ones.  ALSO, with currently having 4-5 radar ships in every game, you end up NOT torping often because you can not even get close with 10.5km ones because they are inside radar range, while 13.2km is out of radar range and you can torp a lot already in the beginning. and radar ships never prevent it.

Also, worth mentioning is that if your Gearing playstyle is avoiding gunfights and flanking to kill CV, you are playing it totally wrong.

I don't do the same thing every time, I always adapt to the battlefield and to enemy team.

I learned to deal with Radar and work around Radar cooldowns, and while torping its not about torp speed its about range, you are lucky to hit anything above 9-10km range even with 71knt torps, usually when screening choke points, but that doesn't hit that often and is not a consistent way of doing damage.

And that's what Gearing lacked the most, consistency, thats why people took Fletcher over Gearing.

And in fact, if you are playing 71 knot, 13.2 km torps, you are doing it wrong because just play the YY then, which does that torp range phenomenally better then Gearing.

However with adjusted playstyle + mk16 torps, and understanding radar cooldowns, Gearing is a more consistent machine even than YY, and certainly more consistent than it was with previous torp setup.

I'm not here to argue :) this is a celebratory and WG appreciation thread for a change :cap_win:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,257 posts
7,335 battles
5 minutes ago, MassiveDYT said:

I don't do the same thing every time, I always adapt to the battlefield and to enemy team.

I learned to deal with Radar and work around Radar cooldowns, and while torping its not about torp speed its about range, you are lucky to hit anything above 9-10km range even with 71knt torps, usually when screening choke points, but that doesn't hit that often and is not a consistent way of doing damage.

And that's what Gearing lacked the most, consistency, thats why people took Fletcher over Gearing.

And in fact, if you are playing 71 knot, 13.2 km torps, you are doing it wrong because just play the YY then, which does that torp range phenomenally better then Gearing.

However with adjusted playstyle + mk16 torps, and understanding radar cooldowns, Gearing is a more consistent machine even than YY, and certainly more consistent than it was with previous torp setup.

I'm not here to argue :) this is a celebratory and WG appreciation thread for a change :cap_win:

This is why you engage in gunfights and challenge caps, because you can torp that YY in his smoke and he has very little chance to dodge 71k torps... He can not do the same to you.

Beta Tester
795 posts
2,412 battles
1 minute ago, Kenliero said:

This is why you engage in gunfights and challenge caps, because you can torp that YY in his smoke and he has very little chance to dodge 71k torps... He can not do the same to you.

if you engage in gunfight and challenge caps, you get radared and die in first 2 minutes, happens at least twice per game to guys like you :)

Players
2,361 posts
15,164 battles
36 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

So you need 5 captain skill points and the 6th equipment slot just to match the stock Fletcher reload? 

With the same skills/equipment Fletcher can spam torpedoes 23 seconds sooner.

39 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

ALSO, with currently having 4-5 radar ships in every game, you end up NOT torping often because you can not even get close with 10.5km ones because they are inside radar range, while 13.2km is out of radar range and you can torp a lot already in the beginning. and radar ships never prevent it.

How are you spotting these ships to torp? Even BBs can drop surface detection to ~12km.

Just asking as I don't play tier 8+

3 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Incorrect or balancing decision?

Ignoring the over-nerfed IJN, presumably WG think Fletcher is properly balanced for the tier, so if they changed the reload that would make her weaker than other T9 DD.

Also bear in mind that the current radar meta and other smoke nerfs reduces the value of the USN DD's special flavour.

Presumably someone copy/pasted the quad reload from a spreadsheet and the mistake has never been picked up by the balance team.

Fletcher with ~135s reload would be well balanced compared to all the other tier 9 destroyers. It also means they can stop warping everything around this horrible mistake.

Sign in to follow this