You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MortenTardo

"Lock on" bug?

101 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles

Hello nice people of the Internet :Smile_hiding:

Like many of you know i'm not a BBaby, so this is NOT a whine tread about BB's. This seems to be affecting cruisers and DD's aswell. 

It might be totally confirmation bias, but lately i have had troubles with "bad RNG" when playing BB's and cruisers. Like every BB i play, play like its a Bismarck when it comes to dispersion and even cruisers i play have had horrible dispersion. Now, i thought for a while that it was just me being on a bad RNG streak. But its been going on for a long time. I am the first to admit when i'm potatoing, but this has been weird for a while.  And its not like those lol salvos that every once in a while derp out and hit everything but the target. I'm talking about consistent garbage dispersion with most ships. 

Until today. When i heard someone say it might be something wrong with the "lock on" mechanic in the game. And that i should try to "unlock" and "lock" back on before i shot.

I thought that might make sense, since most of my salvos seems like the "unlocked" ones you fire into smoke and it started a few patches ago.

Now, i have only tested this for like 3 games so far, however seems like my hitrate is much higher in those games. But it needs much more testing.

Like i said, this might just be tinfoil hat theory, but i will keep testing it.

I would also appreciate if anyone else struggling with the same thing would do some testing aswell and report back. 

Greetings:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 6

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,573 posts
9,108 battles

Not sure about any theories, but I did have one funny half salvo moment that springs to mind.
I used the République's front turret to fire at an immobile broadside BB 8km away (forgot which one, but they're all pretty damn big at T8+).
Two shells landed in front, two shells landed behind. That was quite interesting to witness.

I honestly think that it has nothing to do with RNG or locking, but rather simply the servers crapping out again, showing us inaccurate info on our client compared to what's happening server side, making it much harder to correct our shots.

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

I've noticed some instances lately where I've been in dds shooting at bbs not moving - easy targets - aiming dead on, sure hits, but shells landing in front of the ship for several salvos. Maybe in other instances as well, but these are so obvious I've noticed them. Doesn't happen often, but strange when it does. Maybe there is some bug.. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
4 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Not sure about any theories, but I did have one funny half salvo moment that springs to mind.
I used the République's front turret to fire at an immobile broadside BB 8km away (forgot which one, but they're all pretty damn big at T8+).
Two shells landed in front, two shells landed behind. That was quite interesting to witness.

I honestly think that it has nothing to do with RNG or locking, but rather simply the servers crapping out again, showing us inaccurate info on our client compared to what's happening server side, making it much harder to correct our shots.

Might be. However a clanmate said that there used to be a bug like that a long time ago, but it was only specific to one ship then. (forgot which one) 

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,882 posts
6,770 battles

Haven't seen such anomalies lately, just came to post this for Morten:

Spoiler

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat-600x517.jpg

:cap_haloween:

I suppose you get it Mort ^^

Though one thing is that I like to play with the X key to manually unlock and lock to make it harder for my PT using victim to realise I'm aiming at him, so that might be the reason I haven't seen such bug, if it even exists.

• Funny 1

Players
2,899 posts
5,163 battles

We´ve had this EXACT same discussion with the people I division up and we came to the EXACT same conclusion. I often manually de- and re-select targets now. Its hard to tell and ofc ones opinion can be biased but those complete spray shots, that dont seem to have any focus, are gone with this tactic. Now how to proof if there really is something wrong... i dont know...

• Cool 1

[_MIA_]
Players
2,937 posts
5,358 battles

Yes, ive been thinking about that for some time now! Ive had the same feeling. Just right now playing with Hindenburg, i had the same thing when i was switching between targets, managed to squeeze in a screenshot barely.

For some time ive been trying to press X manually before shooting, which is ofc  hard to prove with BBs and their usual bad dispersion.

I felt the worst dispersion is when a target disappears where u had a lock on, switch target to another and its complete crap. Like its still locked to the other one... i dunno tho.

shot-18.07.14_21.25.55-0229.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
879 posts
11,126 battles

An hour ago or so we did some Scenarios with BlackYeti. As he grinded his Dallas, I thought I'd not interfere with that and the left lane goodness, instead try to go for the objective and secure stars by being an eyesore for the bots - BB time. I did not expect magic from the Dunkerque's dispersion - and as such, came in dead last :Smile_trollface: -, still, wanted something of a bit more blappy for the occassion, so went with the Mutsu next time.

Ho, boy...

It wasn't a daydream to begin with, but for the last more than two minutes I couldn't hit aaaaanything. Anything. Instead, I went full Straddle City for at least four to five salvos. I thought sure I simply suck donkey balls, but that's now more than that. I wish I took a pic of every shot, but I only have one about the last salvo.

Now obviously I thought this is the mix of bad aim and bad RNG, but hey. It sure was noticeable. Like, "there is something wrong with our bloody ships today"-noticeable.

Spoiler

wtf.thumb.png.5a65a9bf349cf843a5640a2102b13e8f.png

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,039 posts

I assumed it was me in my more potato moments, I've certainly seen this, that said it really could be me in potato mode as I've no evidence other than it "feeling" a bit wonky.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,564 posts
6,392 battles

Funny how I've come to this same conclusion lately :cap_hmm:  "Usual" shots land all around the place like I hadn't even locked the target, but a "unlock - lock" generally provides much better results

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
5 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Funny how I've come to this same conclusion lately :cap_hmm:  "Usual" shots land all around the place like I hadn't even locked the target, but a "unlock - lock" generally provides much better results

Thing is... Its very hard to prove if something actually is wrong. We might just all be potatoes. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
674 posts
7,950 battles

In my Tirpitz last night I fired a full broadside on a beached GK and at a range of 9km not one single shell hit the GK... Videoed the game so asked clan mates to look and even they could not understand how all the shells missed...

Players
730 posts
11,514 battles

You see, considering the fame WG has earned about "stronk programmink", I'm not surprised in the slightest.

This is my humorous tinfoil explanation for the phenomenon: you can lock on targets by looking at their direction and letting the server guess that you really wish to do so, or consciously selecting them with X. Server memory is faulty due to age, so it's better to send the reminder that you are locking on a certain ship instead of relying on it remembering its own assumptions.

In a sense, it sounds like the feeling many players had about the Desert Eagle and SIG Commando in Counter-Strike: it was considered that the first clip for both was out of aim, so it was typical to shoot once an reload at the start of the round.

Salute.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles

Didn't read the whole thread so perhaps it's been answered already. Always make sure your intended target is locked on. Especially when 2 or more ships are close together. I've had several occasions in which a different target was locked on after my first salvo and the next. You know: tunnel vision, shoot, zoom out for situation awareness and TV back in when reloaded. Make sure your intended target is locked on...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
6 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Didn't read the whole thread so perhaps it's been answered already. Always make sure your intended target is locked on. Especially when 2 or more ships are close together. I've had several occasions in which a different target was locked on after my first salvo and the next. You know: tunnel vision, shoot, zoom out for situation awareness and TV back in when reloaded. Make sure your intended target is locked on...

That is a bit beside the point. I was not talking about beginner mistakes.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles
15 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

That is a bit beside the point. I was not talking about beginner mistakes.:Smile_teethhappy:

There you go wasting my explanation of how I managed to hit bounces and shatters on a full BS cruiser on close range in my BB. But I'm deeply humbled you gave me the title of beginner. I never thought I'd manage to see that day ever in my wows life... :Smile_teethhappy:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
Just now, Ferry_25 said:

There you go wasting my explanation of how I managed to hit bounces and shatters on a full BS cruiser on close range in my BB. But I'm deeply humbled you gave me the title of beginner. I never thought I'd manage to see that day ever in my wows life... :Smile_teethhappy:

Hahaha. I'm sorry. :D But only 9.7k games you noob! 

• Funny 1

[NED]
Players
4,023 posts
10,901 battles
7 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Hahaha. I'm sorry. :D But only 9.7k games you noob! 

Yes I know. Could you give me some advice how to play Chester please? I'm already at 60% of the grind from Erie in those matches....

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
9 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Yes I know. Could you give me some advice how to play Chester please? I'm already at 60% of the grind from Erie in those matches....

No idea how to play it. FreeXP'd it

• Funny 1

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles

I've had this recently with my Scharnhorst, some of my salvos have dispersed as if I hadn't selected a target, however I put it down to RNG, so I'll be watching this with interest. 

[_MIA_]
Players
2,937 posts
5,358 battles
16 hours ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

In my Tirpitz last night I fired a full broadside on a beached GK and at a range of 9km not one single shell hit the GK... Videoed the game so asked clan mates to look and even they could not understand how all the shells missed...

The auto correction usually screws up when a ship is beached. The game does auto correct the vertical aim of your shells, so u wont shoot too far or too short. When a target is beached it somehow gets f*ed up and most shells hit the island. I rather wait till the beached ship is moving backwards to get a more accurate shot on.

So your problem might be a different one, or not....

• Cool 1

[TURN]
Players
33 posts
6,210 battles

Noticed some weird occasional shell glitches - shells landing way, way off the mark, happened 4 or 5 times in last 50 matches; target ships were not beached or any other ships nearby for auto-relock glitch - for example shooting a broadside aoba 1km away above waterline, in an aoba, resulted in shells going into water between us i could hardly see them at the bottom of binocular view ?!?! thats hugely off the mark ...  maybe it is me potatoing but maybe there is a bug - will follow this one; happened in both BB and CA/CL i didnt notice it in DDs

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles

I forgot to do it with my Republique for a few salvos in a game just now and the dispersion was horrible. The ones after where i unlocked and locked back on was of epic proportion. Like 8 out of 8 shells basically hitting where i aim. Starting to look less like tinfoilhattery and more like a bug. 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles

Can't say I share the same experience.

Then again I've been pretty much only playing short range rapid firing cruisers lately so I probably wouldn't even notice.

Players
44 posts
9,699 battles

I've had multiple salvos, fired at ranges between 1 and 10 km, miss entirely in the last week(maybe longer) and it nearly cost me my mouse the other day, not to mention what hair I have left (very little)!