You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fighto

British Cruisers ??? Whats the point

130 comments in this topic

[-5D4-]
Beta Tester
72 posts
3,839 battles

I'm currently on the tier 6 and I'm considering stopping as I find them rubbish. Pen rate of the AP is so low its comical, it either over pens or doesn't  Why would anyone play these ships when they can pick a Ca from any other tech tree that will set ships on fire every couple of salvos.

Do they improve after 6????

Anyone got any tips?? Thanks in advance .

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
3,623 posts
6,487 battles

Heal?

Smoke?

Hydro?

dakka-dakka?

Best counter for DDs?

British cruiser are no ships to carry alone, you always need a functional team to have reasonable influence, but - hell - they are fun!

• Cool 20

[-5D4-]
Beta Tester
72 posts
3,839 battles
1 minute ago, principat121 said:

Heal?

Smoke?

Hydro?

dakka-dakka?

Best counter for DDs?

British cruiser are no ships to carry alone, you always need a functional team to have reasonable influence, but  - hell - they are fun!

K thanks for your reply so they are really only for divisions and not solo?

[BYOB]
Players
2,674 posts
9,762 battles
4 minutes ago, Fighto said:

No, you can play them effectively solo. You just can't face check people alone and expect to win.

You are great as a support and act like a force multiplier for your other teammates. Even after the massive smoke nerf WG did some time ago.

You eat DDs alive, you can punish cruisers, you can deal with BBs over time. But you work best when supporting your team.

• Cool 4

[TTT]
Players
3,539 posts
7,443 battles
4 minutes ago, Fighto said:

no, if you know what you'Re doing they can do some amazing things solo ("know what you're doing" in this case includes knowing how to use and abuse your random teammates, particularly for vision^^).

The Leander is an absolutely fantastic little ship at T6. She also just so happens to be the first not-hilariously-garbage ship in the line...

She's pretty much exactly what the rest of the line will be gameplay wise... If you can't make her work, you're not gonna like the rest of the line either. So I'd suggest you give the Leander a bit more of a chance, see if you like the (rather peculiar) playstyle of the RN CL line, but if you really do not then you probably dont need to bother going further up.

• Cool 4

[CORNG]
Players
583 posts
10,936 battles

On T6 it is Leander. In my Opinion a funny and strong Ship. You have a superb concealment and smoke. You can support  DDs in the beginning and have great influence.

What is your build and how do you play it?

[-5D4-]
Beta Tester
72 posts
3,839 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

no, if you know what you'Re doing they can do some amazing things solo ("know what you're doing" in this case includes knowing how to use and abuse your random teammates, particularly for vision^^).

The Leander is an absolutely fantastic little ship at T6. She also just so happens to be the first not-hilariously-garbage ship in the line...

She's pretty much exactly what the rest of the line will be gameplay wise... If you can't make her work, you're not gonna like the rest of the line either. So I'd suggest you give the Leander a bit more of a chance, see if you like the (rather peculiar) playstyle of the RN CL line, but if you really do not then you probably dont need to bother going further up.

Thats why I'm kinda asking , I'm averaging about 30k and can't get above that. I am winning though 68% so far.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,548 posts
5,481 battles

The pen isn't bad on them, you just need to aim differently, aiming more at superstructure and upper belt.

The first few are stinkers - danae and emerald are horrible. Tier 6+ are where they shine, getting more guns (12 on fiji/edinburgh/neptune), with the rate ofnfire going up too - my minotaur has a reload of 2.7 seconds.

Don't be afraid of using the torps either, they can pack a nice punch and the RN ability to send single torps means you can have inventive patterns

Players
2,357 posts
15,164 battles

Play it like a large US DD.

Leander can dominate an entire flank of tier 8 solo.

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
3,539 posts
7,443 battles
3 minutes ago, Fighto said:

Thats why I'm kinda asking , I'm averaging about 30k and can't get above that. I am winning though 68% so far.

which... is... about average for you, so I dont really see the problem. And besides, RN CLs arent about farming damage as much - they are about doing their damage where it really counts. You're absolutely lethal against DDs and many cruisers, and your DPM is also scary if you get a BB broadside but those should not be your primary targets.

And consider this: Your average CL might spam a BB, set two fires and deal, say, 20k damage with those. But the BB just presses one button and has those HP back, because fire damage is 100% repairable. Meanwhile, your AP damage is not 100% repairable. So even against your least favourite target, you might not get the same raw numbers as others but you may well be more effective in the end.

Plus which, you do also have some pretty decent torpedoes as backup against BBs that think they can just rush you bow in...

• Cool 1

Players
2,822 posts
5,124 battles
19 minutes ago, principat121 said:

British cruiser are no ships to carry alone

Oh you are wrong there my friend :)

On topic: Leander is were the fun begins. Fiji is super awesome and can carry entire games. Edinburgh is meh, but simply because she basically is a Fiji with bad matchmaking. Neptune is my favourite ship in the entire game and Minotaur is THE glasscannon of wows. It can eat an entire BB faster then most other ships. Given you position correctly. Mino however has problems to carry games...

But if you dont like RN CLs then dont play them. Asking whats their point is...weird tho. Shows you didnt understood their playstyle.

• Cool 1

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,056 battles
40 minutes ago, Fighto said:

I'm currently on the tier 6 and I'm considering stopping as I find them rubbish. Pen rate of the AP is so low its comical, it either over pens or doesn't  Why would anyone play these ships when they can pick a Ca from any other tech tree that will set ships on fire every couple of salvos.

they are very very strong ships.

read tips how to play them and enjoy becasue from t6 they only get stronger every tier up

[-5D4-]
Beta Tester
72 posts
3,839 battles
11 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Oh you are wrong there my friend :)

On topic: Leander is were the fun begins. Fiji is super awesome and can carry entire games. Edinburgh is meh, but simply because she basically is a Fiji with bad matchmaking. Neptune is my favourite ship in the entire game and Minotaur is THE glasscannon of wows. It can eat an entire BB faster then most other ships. Given you position correctly. Mino however has problems to carry games...

But if you dont like RN CLs then dont play them. Asking whats their point is...weird tho. Shows you didnt understood their playstyle.

I half assumed I was doing it wrong and that appears to be the case. I should have researched them a tad more.

[DC-DK]
Players
1,692 posts
22,298 battles

Fiji is one of the best silver T-VII cruisers in the the game.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,674 posts
9,762 battles
4 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Kemping smeko, plane unfair is point

Been at the paint thinner again, eh? You SCRUBS never learn...:fish_aqua:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
13,501 posts
10,352 battles
28 minutes ago, Fighto said:

:fish_palm:

You play the game to win, not for damage! AP damage is hard to heal, fire damage is easy to heal.

Long range HE spam does more damage, but has less outcome on the game.

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,673 battles
25 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Edinburgh is meh, but simply because she basically is a Fiji with bad matchmaking.

Edinburgh does have a couple of extras going for her, though:

-Sooper heal.

-Concealment module.

I generally do better with the Edinburgh than the Fiji despite the cruddy matchmaking, and I think the concealment in particular is the big difference. I've had a lot of low-DD games where I end up basically pretending to be a DD and getting away with it.

The T8 matchmaking actually doesn't bother me that much with the Edinburgh. RN cruisers from Leander and upwards generally up-tier pretty well.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,887 posts
9,129 battles
55 minutes ago, Fighto said:

Pen rate of the AP is so low its comical, it either over pens or doesn't 

My BS-O-Meter just went haywire ...

Even though the RN CLs are pretty underwhelming until tier VI the AP characteristics should hardly ever give the impressions of overpenetrating much. Not penetrating battleship armour yeah, but overpens are pretty rare even shooting at low tier DDs.

[-5D4-]
Beta Tester
72 posts
3,839 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

My BS-O-Meter just went haywire ...

Even though the RN CLs are pretty underwhelming until tier VI the AP characteristics should hardly ever give the impressions of overpenetrating much. Not penetrating battleship armour yeah, but overpens are pretty rare even shooting at low tier DDs.

Sorry happens all the time with me against DD's . 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,060 battles
30 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

And consider this: Your average CL might spam a BB, set two fires and deal, say, 20k damage with those. But the BB just presses one button and has those HP back, because fire damage is 100% repairable. Meanwhile, your AP damage is not 100% repairable. So even against your least favourite target, you might not get the same raw numbers as others but you may well be more effective in the end.

+

7 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

:fish_palm:

You play the game to win, not for damage! AP damage is hard to heal, fire damage is easy to heal.

Long range HE spam does more damage, but has less outcome on the game.

Overpens with AP are also 100% healable though.... :Smile_hiding: (okay i get my coat :fish_nerv:)

On Topic: Did you really just grinded the "stinkers" Danae and especially Emerald and just stop when it get's good? You haven't seen the best part yet! Wait until you get your hands on Fiji, one of the best Tier VII silver cruisers. Some even say if you are good it at then Fiji is actualy better than the OP Belfast. (It may got no Radar or HE but it got scary guns and Torpedos for that!)

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,673 battles
2 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Been a while since I played the Emerald, but I think overpens could happen a fair bit with it simply since the DDs are so thin-skinned in the low tiers.

(Also, I liked the Danae and the Emerald. But maybe I'm just weird :Smile_hiding:)

[AS13]
Players
1,098 posts
1,521 battles

The way to rack upmassive damage in the RN cruisers is to annoy BBs. 

Hide behind mountains, and pew-pew-pew until they come have a look, to try and kill you.

And then you manage to torp them using the single-line torps, around the island. 

Another funny trick is to sneak in with the DDs, this is kinda risky though.

You hide in the same cloud as the DD (could add your own cloud, nobody will notice).

If you dare, angle just a bit and 'surprise MF' when the enemy DDs/CLs creep up you can have a go...

Remember though that you must go in UNDETECTED (they'll be expecting just a DD).

And watch out for the torps, use the HYDRO. 

I found Emerald quite good though at the low tier. Half of the team don't know how to shoot, if you do, you can wreck a lot.

Danae just sucks heaps except when you could surprise something (BBs are very very slow at that tier, just charge in wiggling).

Charging in, when you have a short distance to cover, is a valid tactic - sometimes suicidal though.

But if you manage to find a BB that has the guns facing the wrong way... go for it. 

Make sure you hit all torps, and that he has no friends to finish you off - then use the heal. 

Using both sides for torps is plenty to get a full health BB down. 

The last action is just what they are good at. The speed and  concealment can be used to help a BB that is battling an enemey BB.

After all he cannot shoot left AND right, so go around and attack his unprotected side. 

[POI--]
Players
3,166 posts
4,314 battles
1 hour ago, Fighto said:

Leander is absolutely amazing. The AP actually has better penetration angles than normal, so if you find no broadside to shoot at, shoot at superstructure and it still does ok damage. Smoke allows you to create your own cover, you only have to watch out to not be too fast when laying it and to slow down already before you smoke up. At T6, Leander can hold up entire pushes thanks to the lack of counters other than maybe some hydro. But a BB cannot push your smoke due to torp threat. Which is the next amazing thing. 8 km torps on 8.8 km concealment. The things you can do with these torpedoes.

The key to these ships is, try to prioritise targets where the damage really sticks. DDs, light cruisers. You cannot set fires, but you also don't have to sit there spam HE trying to get a fire, you can just farm raw damage until the position you are in loses its advantage and you move on. The Leander guns fire fast, are decently accurate and have not bad shell travel time. And yes, they get better after T6. Though, playstyle largely stays the same.

• Cool 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

Tl;dr british CLs tier 6-10:

Scoot around, smoke up and club seals. 

Alternatively for advanced clubbers (tier 8-10 only):

Scoot around, radar scrubs out of position and club seals. 

• Funny 1