You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

Donskoi and Moskva upgrades - poll

Upgrades - 6th slot   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Dimitri Donskoi preferred upgrade:

• Range
    • Reload
  2. 2. Moskva preferred upgrade:

• Range (all the way)
    • Range - then legendary upgrade
    • Reload (all the way)
    • Reload - then legendary upgrade

25 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,806 battles

Hello Caps!
Just a quick poll here - I'm struggling a bit with upgrades on high tier USSR Cruisers,
what do you like to use on them?
Also a bit of reasoning behind your poll choice is appreciated.
Lastly, if you have any tips and tricks (especially for Donskoi) I'm all ears :)

Here's a random picture for your effort:
image.png.53cbeba4d7efb51e7177e2c6ba4f2fa0.png

Players
1,709 posts
9,658 battles

Not that sure but I went for range with Dimitri and reload for Mos. Mos with reload and AR is quite a beast, especially with the heavier guns. The range is ok and decent armour and health (i feel). 

Dimitri on the other hand with the lighter guns should be played as a long range/flanking CA, thus the range mod.

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Players
4 posts
6,824 battles

I like to be a captain on my Dimitry "dolgoruky" Donskoi but... the RELOAD IS TOO SLOW (can't hit DDs so often as i would like to when using radar). For a paper armour ship like Don the faster reload would be fair to compensate. 

• Cool 1

Players
960 posts
4,863 battles

Donskoi range, she suffers enough from enemy fire even then. Moskva reload and eventually legendary. She can tank a fair bit and you want those guns shooting as much they can. The gap between those two ships is so wide it isn't even funny. 

• Cool 2

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,806 battles
6 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Donskoi range, she suffers enough from enemy fire even then. Moskva reload and eventually legendary. She can tank a fair bit and you want those guns shooting as much they can. The gap between those two ships is so wide it isn't even funny. 

I am really contemplating FreeXping my troubles away the more i read about the difference between those two ships :)

[BYOB]
Players
2,683 posts
9,832 battles
7 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

The gap between those two ships is so wide it isn't even funny. 

The gap between almost all T9s and T10s is not funny. They might be T9 and T11 ships respectively.

Just look at FdG and GC or Udaloi and Groz.

• Cool 1

Players
960 posts
4,863 battles
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

The gap between almost all T9s and T10s is not funny. They might be T9 and T11 ships respectively.

Just look at FdG and GC or Udaloi and Groz.

Well, Fletcher to gearing and chung mu to yy is rather slim

7 minutes ago, Blixies said:

I am really contemplating FreeXping my troubles away the more i read about the difference between those two ships :)

I did and have no regrets at all. 

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,683 posts
9,832 battles
5 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Well, Fletcher to gearing and chung mu to yy is rather slim

That's why I said "almost all" and not just "all". :Smile_Default:

[HF_30]
Players
1,288 posts

In hindsight and today's meta I'd probably go range and double rudder instead of concealment on Donskoi, since there are more than enough ships around usually who can do the close up radar job better anyway. Kite and burn, rhinse and repeat.

On Moskow though, especially with the recent armour buff, it's reload and probably eventually legendary. Radar upgrade seems wasted on both since it got nerfed.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,777 posts
6,417 battles

Donskoi is a great ship. Don't freeXP it. Moskva plays similarly anyway (provided you're not a bow-tanking monkey.)

• Cool 1

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,806 battles
7 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Donskoi is a great ship. Don't freeXP it. Moskva plays similarly anyway (provided you're not a bow-tanking monkey.)

I'm just toying with the idea, I have never skipped any T IX ship, I won't be starting now :)

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,150 battles

I really liked Donskoi by the end of the grind, don't skip it. It doesn't need the range either, go reload. The people who say it absolutely needs range and playing it at 20km "because it can't do anything else" are completely wasting its potential. Go double rudder shift, that solves all your survivability issues. Stay at mid-range, wiggle a lot, it's actually surprisingly tanky and really dishes it out with reload mod + AR + IFHE.

Reload for Moskva as well, although that legendary looks very intriguing.

[WONLY]
Players
186 posts
9,294 battles

Range for Donskoi.

Got the legendary module for Moskwa yesterday. I ran reload before but double dispersion mods are pretty good. 

The ship can tank 4 mio. potential (maybe more) after recent buffs :Smile_smile: 

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,806 battles

So far the poll is very balanced! Just as all the USSR ships, it seems :)

Players
1,418 posts
10,027 battles

Reload for donskoi, it has spotter plane for the beginning and when you need additional range.

Moskva: Undecided. 

Tried reload and mostly loved it, but often I was out of range.

Tried range and had no problems with range, but missing that dpm alot.

1 hour ago, Marble_Eyes said:

The ship can tank 4 mio. potential (maybe more) after recent buffs :Smile_smile: 

How do you reach 4 mio? I can reach 2-2,5 comfotably. 

Bow tank or mobile?

Players
3,263 posts
6,847 battles

Donskoi needs range early game, but once ships thin down, you usually get within 17km anyway so you want extra dakka. Moskva gets enough range to make range upgrade pointless... And I don't think bit more accuracy on already accurate-ish cruiser will outshine that extra second on reload.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,042 posts
4,523 battles

I went both Range on them,  (legendary will be picked after I get it for moskva)

because If you ask me.. at least the half of the battle, you need to stay away for the bulk of the enemy ships..

I don't know may be because of 11.7km radar, a RU cruiser detected, there will be at least 7 ships targeting you!

On the other hand, don't hate the Donskoi! She is awesome.. really.. guns are.. If you ask me.. better than moskva on long range..

Moskva is generally a better ship.. a much much better ship.. an actual beast..

but for the last piece of info..

here are my donskoi, and Moskva stats!

image.thumb.png.460db3334dd7fa0f6daa1cf21f5ee1d2.png

I foreplay with donskoi.. but suck real hard.. like my life depends on it hard.. with moskva!

[BUSHI]
Players
98 posts
6,366 battles

Reload for donskoi. Point your stern towards the enemies, and just reverse while shooting as many turrets as you can get away with. You can even get into radar range that way. Pretty amusing.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,333 posts
12,570 battles

I run reload on both. The range is already great. But getting that extra DPM is very nice. 

• Cool 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

I think Reload is a must on Donskoi, but then again if you dont feel comfortable without the added range then better to stay safe and use range mod. Still you should strive to get comfortable with the reload mod at some point so I would rather force myself to use it till I learn the ship.

Moskva on the other hand theres no doubt about reload. Pure range can be fun just to get some 22km citadels on cruisers, but reload will always provide the better results. Legendary module should be a worthwhile sidegrade and give you just a little more reach in clan battles. Still I think Reload is the way to go in 4/5 Moskva games.

• Cool 2

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,069 posts
3,806 battles
10 minutes ago, The_Baptist said:

Reload for donskoi. Point your stern towards the enemies, and just reverse while shooting as many turrets as you can get away with. You can even get into radar range that way. Pretty amusing.

So you mean reverse towards enemies? What a bizzare strategy! :)

[WONLY]
Players
186 posts
9,294 battles
48 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

How do you reach 4 mio? I can reach 2-2,5 comfotably. 

Bow tank or mobile?

Mobile in early game. Later bow tanking for holding key positions or pushing towards a cap. You should know the enemy HE spammer positions before committing tho, a DM or hinden will burn you down fast. AP you can tank for ages.

[BUSHI]
Players
98 posts
6,366 battles
26 minutes ago, Blixies said:

So you mean reverse towards enemies? What a bizzare strategy! :)

Yes, just like a DD trying to cap, that way you can quickly disengage without giving your broadside. You are pretty tanky when angled. Switch between going forwards/backwards to throw peoples aim

[POP]
Players
84 posts
3,857 battles

Donskoi is an awesome ship and she does not need the range mod. I just ended my grind with Donskoi and ended up with average damage of 97k. She can really pump out the damage, trust me. You just have to be extra mindful of your surroundings. Reload mod all the way.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,295 battles

Reload for both in Random Battles.

DPM is king, 19km or so without range upgrades is already more than enough for a cruiser imo...

I'll be lucky to grind out the Legendary Moskva upgrade however!