Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MoveZig

Just what is the appeal of Yamato?

27 comments in this topic

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,774 battles

This is both a rant and a question. No, it's not about Yamato being UP, well kinda. But every time I read someone spent a large sum of FXP to skip Izumo just to get to Yamato, I ask myself: ''why?'' What is it about this ship in particular that makes it so magnetic to some players? Is it the big guns, is that all? Is that all it takes to inspire hundreds of hours of grinding? Because otherwise, I just don't see anything about it at all. The AA sucks, the speed sucks, the armor sucks, it can get citted by cruisers, the historical one had no major contribution and sank helplessly in a suicide mission. You know, in War Thunder there is a certain sinking feeling when you unlock B-17 and find out the ''Flying Fortress'' hype was pretty much wartime propaganda and the thing falls prey to anything that has a cannon like any other bomber. I imagine Yamato is the same but the time investment here is so much more. This is not me whining about the Yamato, which I don't have. Just trying to understand why the popularity. Historically and ingame, it's an overhyped dud.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,226 posts
5,868 battles

Yes, it's the guns. Because no matter how you angle, a yamato will still pen you...also it's accurate.

The speed is decent enough for its use, angled armor is good too (btw all BBs can get citadeled by cruisers if you hit them correctly), and for history? Well....it was used in reality unlike all the other tier 10 BBs.

For me, the deciding factor to get it was the free perma camo we got for it. And I don't regret getting it.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,944 posts
9,129 battles

Big guns.

Also I doubt anyone can deny that the ship got the looks down. But mostly it's the guns.

Players
369 posts
2,771 battles

Did anyone mention the guns yet? Anyway, there are other things: History, looks (like has been mentioned), and appearances in media (High School Fleet, Arpeggio of Blue Steel manga, Space Battleship Yamato spring to mind) have to have a bearing. I'd like to play it some day, but the Izumo looks so damned awful I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the grind. I guess that answers the question of why so many people free XP past the Izumo: not necessarily because the Yamato is great (It certainly looks like it performs well though), rather that the Izumo is really bad.

Beta Tester
4,994 posts
2,939 battles
45 minutes ago, Centurion_1711 said:

History

Yeah. Historically speaking, you could say that Yamato and Hood are famous for the same reason. The same goes for Tirpitz and Roma.

There's no historical reason. It's cause muh big ship big guns. Even if backed by no history at all.

Players
369 posts
2,771 battles
19 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Yeah. Historically speaking, you could say that Yamato and Hood are famous for the same reason. The same goes for Tirpitz and Roma.

There's no historical reason. It's cause muh big ship big guns. Even if backed by no history at all.

Let's get HMS Incomparable in game then. One design had 20" guns, so that would certainly be a fan favourite. In true Battlecruiser style, it had little armour, but... those guns!

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
2 hours ago, MoveZig said:

the historical one had no major contribution and sank helplessly in a suicide mission.

Still more history than any other T10 BB has and likely will ever have. Yamato is very likely to always be the one T10 BB that actually existed and while its few missions didn't result in much, Bismarck managed to sank Hood due to sheer luck and that makes her historically more appealing why? Historically speaking, the Yamato does have the distinction of being the largest battleship to ever have been built and to be the pride of the IJN.

Ingame, yeah, mostly the guns.It's still a very decent T10 BB.

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Will never forget how a Monti rushed me when I had just gotten her and I double citadelled the forker through his nose to his doom. Guns. Consistent damage inflicting guns. It's a shame so many citadels were lowered. If it weren't for that you wouldn't be asking this question. 

• Cool 3

[AS13]
Players
1,183 posts
1,567 battles

It's the big guns mate. You just know it is. 

I know it, you know it, and HE KNOWS IT TOO. 

d095498ba7c37a63ab4445149ed80fcf.30.jpg

[PRAVD]
Players
983 posts
5,254 battles

She's T H I C C. :Smile_great:

As for the B-17: "Flying Fortress" was its official name, and I read somewhere it got that name from a reporter when he saw the first B-17's on the assembly line. That was somewhere in 1935 most likely. I think compared to competitors she was much more sturdy and had a better armament. There are plenty of cases where B-17's were seriously beaten up but made it back. Sure, a fighter can shoot it down, but wasn't that the fighter's job? You can't make a tank indestructable, let alone a plane that has to become airborne at some point.

Players
2,018 posts
5,926 battles

Yamasashi == :etc_red_button: == :cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win: == (him):fish_boom: == (me):cap_haloween: 

Listening to the firing of those guns is like listening to the sound of music and this unique sound is eargasm :Smile_great:

Players
2,018 posts
5,926 battles
On 18-7-2018 at 8:32 PM, BLUB__BLUB said:

It's the big guns mate. You just know it is. 

I know it, you know it, and HE KNOWS IT TOO. 

d095498ba7c37a63ab4445149ed80fcf.30.jpg

What's this picture from?

And agreed on the guns :Smile_great:

Btw, the armor is pretty good provided you don't get citadelled :Smile-_tongue:

[AS13]
Players
1,183 posts
1,567 battles
4 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

What's this picture from?

Not telling, if you do not know then you might not WANT TO know... heheheh!

It;s a joke though, some that DO know will be going ROFLOL.

[PST]
Alpha Tester
472 posts
4,973 battles

Yamato was one of the ships that was buildt and actualy used, and everyone said guns so i wont say it too.

but yes, the history of the ship is why i got it

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
16 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Yamasashi == :etc_red_button: == :cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win::cap_win: == (him):fish_boom: == (me):cap_haloween: 

Listening to the firing of those guns is like listening to the sound of music and this unique sound is eargasm :Smile_great:

Spoiler

csm_slide1_3a2c1221c8.jpg

The Sound of Music, eh?

• Cool 1

Players
2,018 posts
5,926 battles
6 hours ago, Riselotte said:
  Reveal hidden contents

csm_slide1_3a2c1221c8.jpg

The Sound of Music, eh?

The only thing missing are those pressure blasts visible on the water (or perhaps my pc is too potato :Smile-_tongue:)

[AONO]
Players
51 posts
8,550 battles

1. 32 mm overmatch. You got the only guns that can overmatch every BB bow in the game (only German BBs' lower bow is immune, but the upper isn't), letting you even citadel them bow-on. This also lets you land consistently major volleys on Conqueror and Republique no matter where you hit them. Also grants a major advantage against some cruisers which have 30-32 mm plating one some parts (specifically Hindenburg, Zao, and even Des Moines' upper deck).

2. The best BB accuracy. Sure dispersion can still troll you from time to time, but no other BB can match up with that combination of slim dispersion and 2.1 sigma. Good aim will be rewarded.

3. It's still pretty durable as long as you stay bow on to BBs. It's not like Conq or Republique that are 32 mm all over and melt from HE.

4. 56% torpedo belt is absolute top. Makes you very durable against torpedoes and even to CVs to some degree.

Overall it's the guns. They reward good aim and they let noone mess with you just by angling. But Yamato is also very survivable when played correctly, while punishing poor play.

The AA weakness is actually somewhat overblown, and BB AA generally matters very little unless you completely specc for it.

• Cool 2

Players
369 posts
2,771 battles
Spoiler

5b58b45c9693e_HSFYamato.png.018a999cb0824fdf566ed56dd39829fd.png

I guess this is yet another reason why Yamato is so popular, or rather:

Spoiler

5b58b4bf3425f_HSFMusashi.thumb.jpg.2761e63a7df3b0e0bf79b18ee3f2bcb4.jpg

I think the Yamato's sister is more famous in HSF so far. Who knows, maybe we'll see more of them both in the HSF movie if/when it gets released. I think they also mention the Shinano, the third Yamato class Battleship in the series. Too much Yamato in one place for my liking! :Smile_ohmy:

Players
65 posts
530 battles

大和の映画を見てくださいませんか。

あの船の物語を教えてください。

Or, in plain English, would you please be so kind to watch the movie "Yamato" ?
Please learn about the story of that ship.

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,183 posts
1,567 battles
5 hours ago, YoritomoMinamoto said:

大和の映画を見てくださいませんか。

あの船の物語を教えてください。

I have seen many movies about it, and am aware of its historic significance.

I can understand why Japanese people will want it. Sort of like Hood (I have that), Bismarck, Tirpitz... 

But I am quite sure most here do not know and just go for the biggest guns. 

• Cool 1

Players
65 posts
530 battles

Yep I agree that a lot of players will, generally speaking, be less interested in the actual stories about the ships we play on.

As a history buff I read up on every ship in my arsenal, but hey, that's just me.

Looking to play Naval Action next. I love the age of sail too. And I still need to do a lot more stints in Silent hunter V Wolves of Steel... Should have never decided to play it realtime LOL.

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
On 4.9.2018 at 3:16 PM, YoritomoMinamoto said:

大和の映画を見てくださいませんか。

あの船の物語を教えてください。

Otoko-tachi no Yamato? It's a nice movie. I don't watch it often, but everytime again a great experience (partly because I don't watch it often).

Spoiler

Finally got the ship for Ranked and it really is one great ship.

On 12.7.2018 at 6:49 PM, MoveZig said:

the armor sucks

If you get caught at a bad angle citadel protection is bad, but 50/57 mm deck plating is insanely good. This is basically the best deck plating at T10 and only the Kurfürst can compete in HE protection. I spent games getting spammed by a Worcester half the game, yet survived, because that plating is just a middle finger to Worcester dpm. If you potato, you die, if you position well, you can however survive ridiculous punishment. Great concept for a ship making me feel ashamed when I mess up and proud when I succeed. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this