You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saiyko

Little poll about a WG poll :/

You saw it?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. You saw it?

• yes
    • no

27 comments in this topic

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles

So on the dev channel this appeared

Game mode changes and battle duration.

There were new control area configurations added in updates 0.7.2 and 0.7.3 for the Northern Lights, Hotspot, Sleeping Giant and Land of Fire maps. Domination mode received a variation with 4 areas, with two possessed by the teams from the get-go.

Main reason for these changes was to decrease the amount of battles that lasted under 10 minutes in those cases when most of the ships are still active.

As a result of this implementation the percentage of battles that ended too fast decreased to 3% down from 8%, thanks to the new control areas.

According to the polls the new configurations are received very warmly, as 50% of respondents preferred the new variation more and 30% liked both equally.

Despite the changes being successful we continue to look for ways to improve balance on other maps as well. But not every map can be redone with 4 control areas in Domination mode unfortunately.

I found this link through Flamu's stream, where he was apparently surprised and asked his chat if they heared of this poll. I think everyone replied no. I never heared of it either.

I can't say I'm that amused by WG pulling these numbers out of some dark place, since I actually know quite some people who don't like this diamond-arranged caps at all.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,119 posts
2,181 battles

Did it come from one of those 'How satisfied where you with the previous battle' questions that pops up in port sometimes after a battle?

So on those maps battles which lasted less than 10 mins ask the question etc etc etc.

• Funny 1

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

I used to get email questionnaires from WG about the state of the game, but I think that was about two years ago now.

Only thing I remember recently is the "how satisfied with this battle" questionnaire - and even then I don't recall seeing one of those for ages.  Not that I ever understood what WG expected to get from the response - it's such a vague question without more context to explain the answer, e.g. if I answer "not satisfied" that doesn't tell WG why I was not satisfied.  It could have been the MM, the ship balance, a bad map, team balance (steam roller) etc..   Such a pointless question.  

I do miss the old, proper questionnaire - that made me feel like my opinion was important, the Devs cared and that maybe they listened to players...

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Players
5,830 posts
Vor 18 Minuten, Saiyko sagte:

I found this link through Flamu's stream, where he was apparently surprised and asked his chat if they heared of this poll. I think everyone replied no. I never heared of it either.

Maybe they mean the polls after the test servers 0.7.2. and 0.7.3.

[BYOB]
Players
2,677 posts
9,818 battles
38 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

So on the dev channel this appeared

I can't say I'm that amused by WG pulling these numbers out of some dark place, since I actually know quite some people who don't like this diamond-arranged caps at all.

Two words: RU server.

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester
1,741 posts
4,623 battles

I usually receive polls about the new versions (well, not all versions), but I've not seen a question regarding the new cap zones.

Having said that, the updated Two Brothers layout is vastly superior to the old one, but that does not contribute to the effects that WG stated. All the other maps did not benefit from fewer cap zones because it promotes lemmingtrains and offer less options and tactics. I guess the latter is good for the more errr.... questionable player base but it is not good for the game as a whole.

Additionally, I find it funny that instead of promoting team work so that one side does not get an early destroyer/cap advantage, WG decides to change the maps. How about trying to reduce passive BB behaviour instead so that the other classes can fulfil their roles on equal terms?

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles
4 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

the updated Two Brothers layout

eh? What did they change?

[NED]
Players
4,013 posts
10,841 battles

Low numbers so nothing really conclusive yet at the time of me writing this (yes even the math village idiot, namely me, figures that out). Still with 29 votes and a 90% no camp this might be reason for concern....

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles
9 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Low numbers so nothing really conclusive yet at the time of me writing this (yes even the math village idiot, namely me, figures that out). Still with 29 votes and a 90% no camp this might be reason for concern....

I concur.

@MrConway what is the purpose of this deception? 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,232 posts
7,060 battles
15 hours ago, Klopirat said:

Maybe they mean the polls after the test servers 0.7.2. and 0.7.3.

This.

Everytime the PTS ends and the patch is about to roll out I get a "thank you for participating in PTS here have a poll". If I cared about the PTS changes (which is most of the time) I will sit down and fill it accordingly.

I am pretty sure back when those alternate caps for those maps were rolled out there also was a question about how I feel about that. I am that sure because I renember me being pleased with the caps on norther lights (I think that they aren't a bad idea) and filling out the poll accordingly.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
1 hour ago, Saiyko said:

I concur.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that 100% opinion polls only gather a small portion of opinions and extrapolate. That's why it's easier and cheaper to gather an opinion poll than to organize elections :Smile-_tongue:

Although, obviously, WG does have the means to ask EVERYONE if they really wanted and deemed certain issue important enough.

Then again, I'm more disappointed in the playerbase than doubtful about the result in this case.

[PUPSI]
Players
5,830 posts
Vor 8 Minuten, eliastion sagte:

WG does have the means to ask EVERYONE if they really wanted

WG offers EVERYONE to take part on the PTS :Smile_hiding:...

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles
37 minutes ago, eliastion said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that 100% opinion polls only gather a small portion of opinions and extrapolate. That's why it's easier and cheaper to gather an opinion poll than to organize elections :Smile-_tongue:

True.

Though pollers/marketeers take very serious precautions to have a representative portion of the population examined. That is why, in general, polls have value.

If it is dependent upon PTS ppl that filled in some poll then, WG just pulled those totally random numbers, and weighed them for far more than they are worth.

But that's WG I guess, all hail RNGebus.

[PUPSI]
Players
5,830 posts
Vor 7 Minuten, Saiyko sagte:

If it is dependent upon PTS ppl that filled in some poll then, WG just pulled those totally random numbers, and weighed them for far more than they are worth.

The PTS is there to test new stuff and changes and to get the opinion of players about it...if players decide not to take part in the PTS it is not WGs fault...

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,218 posts
5,866 battles
45 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

WG offers EVERYONE to take part on the PTS :Smile_hiding:...

But only acknowledges the RU server's playerbase

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles
1 minute ago, Klopirat said:

The PTS is there to test new stuff and changes and to get the opinion of players about it...if players decide not to take part in the PTS it is not WGs fault...

Well then that opinion mattered nothing, since that change has been implemented in live anyway.

They could have just asked the question on the live server, once it was implemented, the same way they do with the "were you satisfied with this game" questions...

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,383 battles

Ahhh, good old statistics. Ask right questions (from right people) and you get answers you like. 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,741 posts
4,623 battles
13 hours ago, Saiyko said:

eh? What did they change?

It's a pretty old change, but they made the top/bottom caps in control of their respective teams at the start of the game. Prior to this, you would have to cap them manually, something that lead to destroyers wasting time at the start of the game (and partly promoting middle rushes). I don't believe that this is their source of data, not even partially, since it's such an old change, but it is at least one example of a good change.

[ASEET]
Players
191 posts
6,517 battles

I got this poll in the same way you sometimes get those "deals" to the gift shop, just a pop-up square when I logged in asking me if I liked the new changes and if I'd like to take a poll. I almost clicked it away, but then I got curious about what had changed.

They showed me pics of the maps and I got to select witch ones I liked. I was able to "like" then new or the old, both or neither version of the maps. There was also a question about ship models and IIRC one about changed armour layout.

• Cool 1

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

I just got the poll as an in-game popup.  Link to it here:  https://surveys.wargaming.net/s3/maps_2018-EU

It's all about maps, then specifically your favourite two and least favourite two.

Edit - just seen the above post - when I answered the final question about maps it said my progress was 15% and then jumped to 100% and said it was complete.  I never got asked about ship models or armour, etc...  

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,588 posts
7,062 battles

The "map" surwey was active couple of months ago.... I remember it.

[HF_30]
Players
1,288 posts
21 hours ago, Saiyko said:

True.

Though pollers/marketeers take very serious precautions to have a representative portion of the population examined. That is why, in general, polls have value.

Any poll that is done by a company for some other entity has 0 value whatsoever. Zero. Nada. Because it means the manufacture of said poll is subject to market forces, including being done by badly paid employees. Usually this leads to one of the following two scenarios: a) people are paid per conducted interview, in which case they'll just go ahead and make up as many as they can get away with or b) lower level management actively tells people to conduct one interview, but fill multiple forms in the time, because otherwise nobody is getting their bonusses, since the targets were set... highly optimistically.

This is not a comment on the poll in question, since I have no idea and can't be bothered anyway.

• Bad 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,863 posts
2,148 battles
On 7/13/2018 at 10:02 AM, Saiyko said:

I concur.

I went and checked regarding the polls in question, the results we announced are indeed correct.

The poll was also conducted on all realms with more than half of all responses not coming from the RU server and enough responses to make it a valid survey.

If you want to participate in these kind of surveys, go play on the test server, then you'll likely be in the group of players that we poll. (There is no guarantee to receive one though)

• Cool 2

[TENGO]
Players
1,454 posts
8,161 battles
24 minutes ago, MrConway said:

I went and checked regarding the polls in question, the results we announced are indeed correct.

The poll was also conducted on all realms with more than half of all responses not coming from the RU server and enough responses to make it a valid survey.

If you want to participate in these kind of surveys, go play on the test server, then you'll likely be in the group of players that we poll. (There is no guarantee to receive one though)

I get you ask participants in PTS after a few games with the new cap layout after some games, as first impression.

But why not try a more comprehensive survey to as many players as possible, after it has been on live for a while now?

I for one didn't really have a problem with them, until I saw they generated nothing but lemmings. Sure, that's a way to limit (too) fast battles, but imho to tackle that specific problem, map design should not be the first resort.