You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ajb13

Operation Cherry Blossom - what went wrong?

46 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
597 posts
10,258 battles

So the operation has now finished it's 2 week first stint, how did you do?

In around 120 games I only failed 3 times, twice when both marine units were destroyed and once for failing to take out the airfields in time. I was only sunk 4 times, once to torps while defending the marines, twice to air attacks and once to gun fire while attacking the airfields. As to stars most were 5 star wins, the rest were 4 stars with a very few 3 stars thrown in, I never once got a win with less than 3 stars.

My conclusion? 

The operation is broken and will soon be pulled from the rotation to fix it. It's just way too easy.

So what is wrong and how can it possibly be fixed?

Have you ever seen the transport ships sunk? I never did and so you got an easy first star there. They are saved as soon as the DD's are sunk and can no longer be damaged by the DD's torps, I've observed them getting hit for no damage. A fix for this would be to not make them safe until the DD's are sunk and they have reached a certain point further down the coast, that way if your team doesn't sink the DD's quickly enough they'll get torps off which can still sink a transport and lose you a point.

The second stage is where most stars are lost as you sometimes lose a marine unit. This stage is mostly ok except that the illumination flares seem to spawn in fixed locations and mostly over the jap ships, illuminating them instead of you! The flares should be targeted at the allied cruisers. Any ship on fire should also be illuminated.

As players grew familiar with the operation more ships started to drift north in the early stages, getting ready to intercept the mid point DD attack and to get ready to defend the carriers from air attack. I know some Zao's are by the airbases to stop early attacks on them, perhaps there should be a few DD's as a covering force in the mid area to stop players going straight for that area as well. Once the marines are saved they should withdraw back to airfields. This way any Cruiser trying to attack the mid point DD's early will have to avoid the torps of 4-5 DD's.

Then comes the end part. This part starts with 2 air attacks from the airfields. No matter how many or how few aircraft you shoot down they only attack twice. Also I have never had a team fail to shoot down the required 50 as far as I can remember. Also I have never had a team fail to sink the Atago. That's another 2 easy stars there. I think the number of aircraft you need to destroy should be increased, and the airfields should continue to launch air attacks until they or all their aircraft are destroyed.

Other things that could be looked at would be to maybe increase the number of DD's in the initial and mid point attacks. 

So do you think it's ok or do you think it's broken? And if so how would you fix it?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,668 battles
2 minutes ago, ajb13 said:

So do you think it's ok or do you think it's broken? And if so how would you fix it?

Leave it as it is, let the masochists play on hard mode when that is introduced.

• Cool 4

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,641 posts
13,071 battles

Could be a bit more difficult I suppose but there is nothing wrong with a comparatively easy operation as long as it's entertaining. Which Cherry Blossom most definitely is.

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,668 battles

Also, consider that the planes may not be quite the threat they could be right now, since pretty much every game is like 70+% Clevelands. Might be worthwhile to see how it works next time around, when players might have grown tired of Cleve and decide to play it with something else.

[PUPSI]
Players
5,804 posts
Vor 6 Minuten, ajb13 sagte:

So do you think it's ok or do you think it's broken?

it is ok, no need to change anything (except those players that try to make you fail this mission...). But I am afraid WG will do the same like for the other scenarios and change Cherry Blossom to remove the fun and make it winnable only for unicum divisions...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
597 posts
10,258 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Could be a bit more difficult I suppose but there is nothing wrong with a comparatively easy operation as long as it's entertaining. Which Cherry Blossom most definitely is.

I'm not asking for it to made much harder like they did the T7 operations, but I think that a 98% success rate and 70% 5 star completions are just to high. Also the fact that it's virtually impossible to get less than 3 stars mean that while it is fun it's just not challenging and I found myself playing it less and less each day.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,201 posts
13,916 battles

@ajb13   LOL your a noob mate..:Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding: We the SCRUBS CLAN Failed the mission in a Way only SCRUBS can...

We did the mission so fast we had killed all the ships were heading for 5 stars.......... The AI DDs and CV's destroyed the last Airbase before we had had chance to shoot down 50 aircraft (did not even launch 50 aircraft for use to kill)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[AS13]
Players
1,085 posts
1,511 battles
17 minutes ago, ajb13 said:

I'm not asking for it to made much harder like they did the T7 operations, but I think that a 98% success rate and 70% 5 star completions are just to high. Also the fact that it's virtually impossible to get less than 3 stars mean that while it is fun it's just not challenging and I found myself playing it less and less each day.

If it is too easy, let T5/6/7 have it and we'll see where it goes KONK... harharhar!

I'm quite annoyed by it, I love 'operations' and have grinded to get some T6 ships ready.

And now they made operations for T7 and T8 only. Dammit. Argh.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,201 posts
13,916 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

If it is too easy, let T5/6/7 have it and we'll see where it goes KONK... harharhar!

I'm quite annoyed by it, I love 'operations' and have grinded to get some T6 ships ready.

And now they made operations for T7 and T8 only. Dammit. Argh.

Ops missions change. There are ones for tier VI VII and VIII

Beta Tester
597 posts
10,258 battles
2 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

@ajb13   LOL your a noob mate..:Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding::Smile_hiding: We the SCRUBS CLAN Failed the mission in a Way only SCRUBS can...

We did the mission so fast we had killed all the ships were heading for 5 stars.......... The AI DDs and CV's destroyed the last Airbase before we had had chance to shoot down 50 aircraft (did not even launch 50 aircraft for use to kill)

And that's the problem, I'm no unicum but I could still carry a team to at least a 3 star victory on my own, with a few unicums on your team it needed something really amazing to happen to get less than 5 stars

[AS13]
Players
1,085 posts
1,511 battles
2 hours ago, T0byJug said:

Ops missions change. There are ones for tier VI VII and VIII

I know that (now), but last year I had the (wrong) idea of them being T6 only. 

So, for me it is a few weeks of joy and then grinding until I have the necessary T7 and T8... :Smile_hiding:

(yes I know I can form a divid sion of 7... but i do not have that many friends harharhar!) :etc_swear:

2 hours ago, T0byJug said:

You could have killed off the allied CV and some DDs... just sayin'... :cap_yes:

[TTT]
Players
3,538 posts
7,443 battles

The real problem with how easy this mission is, is that it completely forks up the economy. The XP rewards are just too high. During the x3 XP week, I could just spend 45min, play it with my Cleve Kutu and Chappy once each, and farm around 130k Elite XP and 75k Free XP. Per Day. With incredible reliability (very very hard to get below 2k base XP, and downright impossible to not win).

That is a problem for WG, of course... I'm not complaining...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,059 battles

You could have killed off the allied CV and some DDs... just sayin'... :cap_yes:

We didn't fathom this would happen....

These 2 DDs in the front usualy just die in a flood of airdroped torpedos. We simply forgot about those....

We had one airstrip left with half HP and went "welp stop shooting or we can't shoot down enough planes......ok" ..."wait WHO THE F IS STILL SHOOTING AT IT?" "oh....."

• Funny 1

[AS13]
Players
1,085 posts
1,511 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

The real problem with how easy this mission is, is that it completely forks up the economy. The XP rewards are just too high. During the x3 XP week, I could just spend 45min, play it with my Cleve Kutu and Chappy once each, and farm around 130k Elite XP and 75k Free XP. Per Day. With incredible reliability (very very hard to get below 2k base XP, and downright impossible to not win).

Well that sure is new, somebody complaining they get too much XP LOL.

Dagobert_Duck_3.png

[TTT]
Players
3,538 posts
7,443 battles

Well that sure is new, somebody complaining they get too much XP LOL.

Dagobert_Duck_3.png

yeah edited in a clarification :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,201 posts
13,916 battles
4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Its  Operations ..  Team damage is disabled.......:Smile_facepalm: so no chance of doing your suggetion

[AS13]
Players
1,085 posts
1,511 battles
1 minute ago, T0byJug said:

Its  Operations ..  Team damage is disabled.......

Ah damn, I forgot. Should have known though, I usually block Captain Moronov in the Schors from sticking his nose out too early in that other operation.

@MrConway

Seems it is too easy for T7, can we have a go in T6? :Smile_izmena:

Beta Tester
597 posts
10,258 battles
2 minutes ago, Niibler said:

I found the Operation fun and engaging. 

But not challenging?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,059 battles
31 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

@MrConway

Seems it is too easy for T7, can we have a go in T6? :Smile_izmena:

Actually Cherry blossom is a Tier VIII operation (Cleveland, Baitimore, Chappy and stuff) but jeah I guess going in with Tier VI and trying to sink the two Zaos that run like cowards would be a real challenge. :Smile_hiding::Smile_izmena:

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,077 posts
3,751 battles

I agree with OP : this operation can be really easy. I too won most of my games and it was im general a 4 or 5 stars win.

Should it be reworked ? Maybe, but contrary to Narai, the number of ships that can play it is really limited so it has less negative effects.

[POP]
Players
286 posts
7,094 battles

I have a hunch that they will "fix" it by increasing the spawn rate of the planes and ships at the end. With that change Cherry Blossom will become highly annoying instead of challenging.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,388 posts
14,086 battles

I felt very disappointed by the night combat. I expected that the players could launch starshells to locate the enemies., only to find that it's just a sad mechanic that illuminates random areas of the map.

All enemy ships spawned in the same places, so you knew where to turn your guns in advance of the next wave of Japanese ships. A bit of randomness in this point would be nice (it can be done, they have done it in other scenarios).

And I missed being able to bring in destroyers, or tier 7s. Adding American DDs and tier 7 US cruisers instead of Russian or French ships would add to the immersion.

• Cool 2

Players
559 posts

The early first wave of DD's don't fire torps enough. Maybe they should start with torps pre-loaded? Because I'm guessing that they usually get killed in the time it takes them to load them. Due to them being within radar range at the very start.

The 2 x Myokis in the 2nd wave seem to be clowns. 1 of them starts stationary and is therefore citadel target practise for Baltimores. And then when they do move they go around in predictable circles. The Aobas that come in from the left in this wave sail in a straight line and are easy to citadel by anyone heading north west to meet them.

At the end Baltimores can rack up lots of damage really quickly by shooting AP at broadside cruisers. You could do this mission in a Pepsi and rack up over 100k damage easily.

Players
1,417 posts
10,013 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

Its  Operations ..  Team damage is disabled.......:Smile_facepalm: so no chance of doing your suggetion

Not for the enemy. 

I've seen bots TK their own with torpedoes from 2nd line a few times :Smile_trollface: