___V_E_N_O_M___

They are nerfing the alsace, why?

41 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,207 posts
5,855 battles

Well on the bright side, henry is getting a gun reload consumable, yamato is getting faster turrets and izumo is getting better armor and concealment.....all in all, a good change

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

To be honest, not sure about it's overall performance but Alsace is an absolute nightmare for cruisers. Reacts too fast to dodge easily, too many shells too accurately to rely on RNG to save you and then fires again before you can get away. This was necessary IMO, although personally I would have gone for a turret traverse nerf.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,186 posts
3,152 battles

The thing that confuses me most is the set of changes to the Emile Bertin TBH. 

• Cool 1

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,277 posts
4,987 battles
1 hour ago, piritskenyer said:

The thing that confuses me most is the set of changes to the Emile Bertin TBH. 

Same. Altough when looking at the server stats it does have the highest winrate among silver cruisers and the highest average damage. Not sure that justifies a nerf since it is not really ahead by much.

As for the Alsace, well time to break out the secondary build I guess.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
5 hours ago, VC381 said:

To be honest, not sure about it's overall performance but Alsace is an absolute nightmare for cruisers. Reacts too fast to dodge easily, too many shells too accurately to rely on RNG to save you and then fires again before you can get away. This was necessary IMO, although personally I would have gone for a turret traverse nerf.

I have to disagree. Sure some cruisers suffer, but at top tiers many cruisers have 27mm all over bouncing Alsace all day. To be honest Alsace takes a ton of HE damage so her strength isnt in how effective she is against cruisers. BB broadsides is the most juicy targets due to sheer volume.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles
2 hours ago, Affeks said:

I have to disagree. Sure some cruisers suffer, but at top tiers many cruisers have 27mm all over bouncing Alsace all day. To be honest Alsace takes a ton of HE damage so her strength isnt in how effective she is against cruisers. BB broadsides is the most juicy targets due to sheer volume.

Which ones, a handful of T10s? Most of the cruisers Alsace sees are 25mm. That volume of fire is just as big a pain for cruisers. That and playstyle differences. I play my cruisers mobile and in the open. I'm competent at dodging since most BBs are quite predictable and telegraphed when they go for you, but Alsace just reacts too quickly and too effectively.

[SOLO]
Players
140 posts
3,791 battles

I am currently at Richelieu grinding my way towards the Republique and having a blast currently. Have heard many ppl are considering Alsace the highlight of the line and have been looking forward to it (will have to grind it anyhow). 

So why not use this experience to buff the rest of the ships it outscores so all are fun to play, but each with their special taste. I am pro nerf if needed but dont double tap it with both RoF & sigma, go one or the other and I would prefer sigma-nerf since "throw enough crap on the wall..." and it will force Alsace into closer combat ranges.

WG must find the key points to why a ship is fun and then try to make more ships feel this way to compete to be "keepers", thats why I am keeping Bismarck, Lion, Cleveland, Nürnberg, Fletcher in my port, they are fun to play ships, not every player is Tier 10 oriented. 

• Cool 2

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

WG has an anti French bias for some reason, no frenchies will be strong/competitive... and ESPECIALLY not a tier 9.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,186 posts
3,152 battles
1 hour ago, Affeks said:

WG has an anti French bias for some reason, no frenchies will be strong/competitive... and ESPECIALLY not a tier 9.

That sounds weird... Might be true. What makes you say that? 

Players
292 posts
4,204 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Affeks sagte:

Well, as fare as I see, there is also a veritable party who believes that the equivalent of this view concerning the german ships is true. ^^

And I am sure, there is no much difference to the other communities.

At most, a russian bias might the most realistic, looking at the Kronstadt "heavy cruiser" for example, I feel a bit leery in terms of the russian mid/high tier BBs to come...

hope their T9+ will not be using atomic nuke-shells, secret russian WARP-engines or telepathic fire control, with marksmen trained by the KGB... :Smile_trollface:

As far as I saw her, the Alsace seemed to be the doubtless overall best performing french BB, while Richelieu, Gascogne and République get a more mixed review.

So at least this nerf doesn't meet a poor...

• Funny 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
36 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

That sounds weird... Might be true. What makes you say that? 

Its just a joke.

The whole point is just we're not seeing a single competitive (high tier) French ship, and the second a decent one comes around it gets nerfed. We got Charles, but lack of radar and power creep at tier 8 is pretty bad. Im sure they dont have a bias, just annoyed they go after frenchies and the wrong ones at that (Normandie and Lyon untouched).

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,186 posts
3,152 battles
9 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Its just a joke.

The whole point is just we're not seeing a single competitive (high tier) French ship, and the second a decent one comes around it gets nerfed. We got Charles, but lack of radar and power creep at tier 8 is pretty bad. Im sure they dont have a bias, just annoyed they go after frenchies and the wrong ones at that (Normandie and Lyon untouched).

Okay. Humour is lost on me these days (jeez, I should take it easy), but I agree. I honestly found Charlie awesome when she worked (and she often did), but on higher tiers it's true that none of the French ships have any place in comp or are good and when they get good they are nerfed, sorry "adjusted". 

Also, don't even mentionnthose two abominations that are Normandie and Lyon. 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,546 posts
9,068 battles
17 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Okay. Humour is lost on me these days (jeez, I should take it easy), but I agree. I honestly found Charlie awesome when she worked (and she often did), but on higher tiers it's true that none of the French ships have any place in comp or are good and when they get good they are nerfed, sorry "adjusted".  

I know some people (French clans) who might disagree, considering the HIV and République to be top picks, but I suspect some national pride at work since neither have good instantaneous impact nor ability to remain in the fight despite being focused, like a Hindenburger can for example.

Overall, I think the Alsace needed a tweak.
Despite loving the hell out of it, it also felt just too damn mobile. I thought they would change that a bit.
But nope, they went the usual WG way and decided that firing more slowly with more luck based gameplay was the way to go.
Stupid.

22 hours ago, Affeks said:

As said above, her strength wasn't to cleave through bow tanking cruisers, but being fast enough to appear on the flanks and deal massive damage with a very heavy salvo, possibly with a follow-up salvo 26s seconds (or less, with AR kicked in). 
And by god, how that worked, regardless of the target.

The perfect example that you don't need all the overmatch in the world in order to perform, if you can work the map. Something that might not have a place in competitive, but works extremely well in randoms.

Not sure why they made that less reliable and more luck based, when a small concealment or slight mobility nerf would have prevented that from being just too damn strong.

Maybe even turret rotation nerf to prevent it from reacting too quickly.

17 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Also, don't even mentionnthose two abominations that are Normandie and Lyon. 

[year old anti-Lyon crusade intensifies]
Almost as bad of a game design as RN BBs.
Pure luck based garbage used to grief.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
46 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

I know some people (French clans) who might disagree, considering the HIV and République to be top picks, but I suspect some national pride at work since neither have good instantaneous impact nor ability to remain in the fight despite being focused, like a Hindenburger can for example.

Henri is def not top pick. The only thing it has over others is speed and with the relatively static meta its nothing special. I used Henri for most of season 1, and I will say it can punish bad teams in unexpected ways, but thats as far as it goes.

Republique is def something, but personally it lacks any tanking capability and despite being good at chunking cruisers, it will never outright destroy them like Monty and Yammy can.

I def see Henri and Rep here and there but I can never say that the ship made a difference. Usually Rep gets pushed out early due to damage and henri sails around being more or less ignored because of low dpm.

Problem is also that these are difficult ships to buff. Terrible core design imo. Especially for Rep.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,760 posts
6,395 battles

République was everywhere during KoTS, and both RAIN and SMILE for the grand finale had it in their team.

From what I'm discussing with the RAIN guys, République is really nice but really does lack tankiness to be a real top pick besides KoTS which is a very specific meta.

Overall I agree with them.

Players
498 posts

I think it a crock of $chiza if you ask me, I think the real reason for the nerf is to put an emphasis on everyone purchasing the newly developed t9 premium Jean Bart.

If they make the Alsace weaker, all will push towards the premium ship in hopes of a better performer. i.e. Pay to Win

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
7 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

République was everywhere during KoTS, and both RAIN and SMILE for the grand finale had it in their team.

From what I'm discussing with the RAIN guys, République is really nice but really does lack tankiness to be a real top pick besides KoTS which is a very specific meta.

Overall I agree with them.

I do agree Republique is the best tier 10 BB to deal with competent cruiser captains that know what their doing. Though anywhere else Yamy and Monty provide better firepower when punishing glaring mistakes all while having the ability to be used as battering rams.

Last ranked, Republique was my fav BB to shoot at, but also the BB I didnt want to shoot at me the most. Hence why I say its a difficult ship to buff. Right now it punishes cruisers that play correctly too much, and for this it cant do anything else well...

3 hours ago, HMS_Argosax said:

I think it a crock of $chiza if you ask me, I think the real reason for the nerf is to put an emphasis on everyone purchasing the newly developed t9 premium Jean Bart.

If they make the Alsace weaker, all will push towards the premium ship in hopes of a better performer. i.e. Pay to Win

Ahhh, it all makes sense now :cap_fainting:

Problem is I even seriously believe this.

Players
1,346 posts
6,114 battles

It's blatantly in our face chaps....:cap_tea:

The Jean Bart needs to be better than the Alsac.  So they sell £££££. That's is the bottom line in true WG fashion. 

The Alsac is preforming well and it's one of the bright sparks of Tier 9 BB's thank god.  Now it's directly competing with the Jean they simply cant have a Silver ship outshining the premium ones.

Please see Tirp buff (everyone was keeping the silver Bis and not buying the Tirp premium)

Has anyone ever said that the Alsac needed a Nerf??? Not one of us, not one.  Because we all know it's a good ship at tier 9 and you know what, people liked that.  A bight light in the dark cave of tier 9 BB's. 

It's a HE Cruisers wet dream and gets smashed up by assorts of enemies and it's far from OP. It struggles with even angled cruisers, never mind BBs but they still nerf it. :Smile_amazed:

If they HAVE to nerf it to save a random players life, then stigma only.  It''s got enough guns and forces it to get closer (which is a death Wish in tier 10 camping meta).  But reload too?

Anyone wanna bet that the Jean will have better Sigma AND reload? I bet my mortgage it will.

IMHO.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

Players
1,346 posts
6,114 battles

AA defense

• 14х2 57 mm, range - 4,5 km, damage per second - 357
  • 12х2 100 mm, range - 5,0 km, damage per second - 178
  • 3х3 152 mm, range - 5,0 km, damage per second - 25

Jesus H Christ how much AA and the range of them?? Man AA and AFT captain skills and you have nothing to fear against CV's, ever. Those you meet anyway. Sod it, AFT will do. Throw in the AA range for giggles.  Not the mention BFT.

Base 4.5 km for 357 damage without any range modifiers? And the 100/152 mm incased into some nice protection to help against HE spam..Dear god :cap_fainting:

Nice one WG.  Another Ship thrown into the game with crazy AA.  

And you wonder why die-hard CV mains like me don't play high tier Cv's much now-a-days.

And the next ship coming out?  A Heavy high tier US AA killing cruiser that is the Alaska? 

It's actually comical 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
36 posts

Anyone that doesn't think the Alsace needed a nerf is either trolling and/or " special "

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,186 posts
3,152 battles
1 hour ago, T0L0S said:

Anyone that doesn't think the Alsace needed a nerf is either trolling and/or " special "

It's not wether it needed a nerf or not, it's nore like where the nerf is applied. 

• Cool 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
2 hours ago, T0L0S said:

Alsace is far from my top pick of where a nerf should be placed. The squishiest BB of its tier with some slightly higher than average offensive power that doesnt even go through 27mm platings and lower pen than than the entire tier 9 competition? 

Edit: as Piritskenyer said I would much rather they accentuate the squishiness (by making it more citadelable for example) rather than remove the cannon from the glass cannon.

• Cool 2

Players
498 posts
8 hours ago, T0L0S said:

keep-going-im-kmrq9m.jpg

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
36 posts
17 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

It's not wether it needed a nerf or not, it's nore like where the nerf is applied. 

Now that I do agree with. It does need a nerf, but I dont think the sigma was the way to do it. But that is WG's goto nerf for everything at the moment.