Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

Core of the problem to the game.

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
753 posts

Let me fill you in on how the game developed.

We start out at 20:00 (big surprise). Couple of minutes later around 16:00 their Mutsuki got into our cap, and we were 3 ships that turned around. Me, and Mexico and a Hood. Hood arrived late to the party, but neither DDs or CA's came to assist, neither could they since they all on both sides went far out to the right AND left side. 

Our CV is in the middle of our capzone and dies first, i pinged that a DD was incomming (knew it because i was kept beeing spotted) for about 2-3 minutes, he diden't move nor did he spend the time of day to spot the DD. At around 15 minutes it is me vs the DD dancing tango in the base. He is determined to torp me so i just zigzag and dodge torps left and right, and chase him out of the cap zone. 

I start to circle in and out of our cap zone using the island that is half way in. To pin-point roughly where he is so i can predict torps. Time after time after time i chase him out of the cap and dodge his torps. The Mexico died on his way back, and the Mutsuki quite easly torp the Hood from concealment range. 

So me and Mutsuki continues to dance tango until the time expires. I use the island to see when he spots me, and therefore i got a rougly location on him.

hqdefault.jpg.7592edc00f63ddc2d379e842bbd38fbf.jpg

I let him start capping, while i go out of the cirle, and re-enter from behind the island and get respotted and again got his roughly location. 

The only reason we did not lose this game was because a Battleship defended the cap zone from enemy destroyer for 16 minutes of the game. I diden't risk shooting on other ships incase he decided to break concealment and i would have the chance to take him out. But unfortuantly he was determined to torp me. Even if it means they lose. 

When the game ends i would consider myself the MVP. Not for killing, doing damage or capping. But for circling inside the base. I knew this that i would't get much points, EXP, credits etc, but i know it was the only way we would not lose. I repeatedly asked for backup. But they just continued going to the outer edges of the map. I was just making sure that the enemy team did not capture. And if their Mutsuki had the slightest idea on how to play i'd be dead before the 10 minute mark. Luckly he diden't. I will play the Conqurer when i need to grind. All other games i mainly just play the objective and enjoy that gamestyle the best, but it doesn't reward you in anyway. Improtant to note i am doing full flag and camo, that's why 4552 exp for 40k dmg.

Now we come to what i personally think is the core issue of the game, and that is that shiptypes have different jobs. Destroyers have a different job then the cruisers, and the CVs serve their own purpose. But the shipclasses are not being played as they are meant to be. Support ships are not supporting, and battleships are hunting destroyers, and destroyers are dying withing the first torp exchange within the first 2 minutes of the game. Clearly people don't really reflect on what the different tasks of the different ships truely are meant for. People see a ship and they want it. When they get it, they will play it excatly as they want to, not even considering what the ship is meant preform in a objective based game. 

So i would suggest making a pure and simple sudden death playmode, The current gamemode is made way to complicated for the average player to understand and fufill their own role. It needs to be simplyfied. And giving us a gamemode from what we can pick and choose to be a pure suddendeath mode i think would be great. Just get in there and kill what you can, i mean that is what many want.

Look at the recent 2 years on how Battle Royale games have exploded. Que up, kill crap, try not die and it is extremely successful. World of Warships which force people to swap between different objectives confuse the normal potato and the game will end up mostly frustrating reoccuring players.

Last note: Do not discard of the Random battle, but make an offer to get the people who just want to get in and blow crap up an own que, with own gamemode where the main objective is just to kill everything and not die. I recently toned down on tier X games, to level up Pan-Asian DDs, French BB's and RN/US CA, and the lack of playing around the objective is to be found on all tiers.  So i think it would be great addition to the game to let those players play games that suit their desire to play. Most games today have suddent death mode, i see no reason why WoWs could not have it. 

shot-18.07.10_14.56.23-0448.jpg

shot-18.07.10_14.56.29-0216.jpg

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,193 posts
4,334 battles
4 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

So i would suggest making a pure and simple sudden death playmode, The current gamemode is made way to complicated for the average player to understand and fufill their own role. It needs to be simplyfied. And giving us a gamemode from what we can pick and choose to be a pure suddendeath mode i think would be great. Just get in there and kill what you can, i mean that is what many want.

Look at the recent 2 years on how Battle Royale games have exploded. Que up, kill crap, try not die and it is extremely successful. World of Warships which force people to swap between different objectives confuse the normal potato and the game will end up mostly frustrating reoccuring players.

No.

Game is getting dumb enough. We don't need something even dumber. If people find the very concept of the game not to their liking, they should play something else. I'm also not going to the international chess federation and tell them "You know, RTS games seem to be doing much better sales-wise than chess boards, maybe we should rewrite the rules a bit and not make this turn-based with crap graphics." If people wanted that, they'd play something else.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
753 posts
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

No.

Game is getting dumb enough. We don't need something even dumber. If people find the very concept of the game not to their liking, they should play something else. I'm also not going to the international chess federation and tell them "You know, RTS games seem to be doing much better sales-wise than chess boards, maybe we should rewrite the rules a bit and not make this turn-based with crap graphics." If people wanted that, they'd play something else.

I am not talking about changing or removing anything. I suggested an additional gamemode. 

[KAKE]
Players
649 posts
2,704 battles
5 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

I am not talking about changing or removing anything. I suggested an additional gamemode. 

The problem with... well, essentially giving people too many options is that you end up splitting the player base.

If you can manage to attract a large enough number of new players (so that all of the game modes are well-enough populated), that isn't necessarily a problem. But with more game modes, you risk just having a lot of different game modes where all of them have annoyingly long queue times.

Players
443 posts
5,895 battles

I Don't understand your pov, the game as it is IS a sudden death playstyle, once your ship is destroyed you can't respawn, and 99% of the players returns to port, choose another ship and start a game.

The Reason why most of the random players Don't "play the ship as its class is the most powerful" like you said is that players want a quick-action game : spot ships > shoot.

They Don't want to win the battle at all cost, they Don't want to earn 12k XP per battle.

These days, with the amount of camo and flags with XP boost, you can gain 4k-5k XP on a losing battle. Winning is just another bonus.

Players
2,899 posts
5,163 battles
35 minutes ago, Azakeit said:

The Reason why most of the random players Don't "play the ship as its class is the most powerful" like you said is that players want a quick-action game : spot ships > shoot.

They Don't want to win the battle at all cost, they Don't want to earn 12k XP per battle.

These days, with the amount of camo and flags with XP boost, you can gain 4k-5k XP on a losing battle. Winning is just another bonus.

I hardly ever felt so depressed about this game after reading something on this forum. And I did read a lot. You are prolly right tho. And here I am, thinking for my teammates every round, telling them "dont go around that corner, there are torps coming" - "a DD is going to our bas" - "dont show broadside, there is a BB" etc. Which is futile in 95% of the cases anyway.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,126 posts
2,197 battles
57 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

They tried death mode in Beta.

It failed because people just ran away and hid, so you couldn't kill them.

The whole point of the current battle modes is to force you to do something, death matches are just run and hide events

[XFS]
Players
177 posts
10,260 battles

Sum it up in one word MISSIONS , the only thing 75% - 80% of people playing are not interested in team play or even winning they just trying to do the missions nothing else matters.

[BOATY]
Players
425 posts
7,502 battles

Perhaps, if the different gain for wining and loosing team are made equal and only the good performers get the bonuses that may encourage players to improve. 

But this will require additional information how much base XP someone earns in real time based on objectives and specific ship class. 

Beta Tester
753 posts
14 minutes ago, Episparh said:

only the good performers get the bonuses that may encourage players to improve. 

Basicly how it is now, where you just get superior reward from doing damage. That's why a sudden death mode would make sense. Doing team-oriented tasks only affects winrate, not exp/credits/etc

[BOATY]
Players
425 posts
7,502 battles
11 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

Basicly how it is now, where you just get superior reward from doing damage. That's why a sudden death mode would make sense. Doing team-oriented tasks only affects winrate, not exp/credits/etc

Actually it is not. Even if you do tons of damage, potential damage and even do few captures in a loosing team you will gain significantly less than at least 2/3 of the enemies. And this is just becase RNG decided to put you with people who do not try to follow the objectives and maximize their chance to win. 

Sign in to follow this