21 comments in this topic

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

Having unlocked the module yesterday at the time of writing I have yet to test it fully, but first impressions are hilarious. With the module you are, as expected, virtually fireproof. Fires with flags and the damage control system 2 module only last 11 seconds and cause 1906 damage, so you can only rely on raw HE damage if you want to take a Hinden with the module down. And with proper heal managment this makes it almost stupidly tanky vs anything HE related.

I have not had the opportunity to see how long floodings last (because lol Hydro) but with flags and damage control module you should be looking at 18 something seconds. Also your main armament repairs itself in ~8 seconds. Basically once I installed the module I have never even looked at my damage control key.

However there are some things you give up. Your detection jumps from 12.3 to 13.7. That is not brilliant and it limits you harder than one might think. I have had trouble getting undetected into my "normal" positions so a change of tactics has been required. Also because of this I have switched out the reload mod for the range mod, even though that hurt quite a bit. Due to your higher detection the range I found so far atleast that since you will be lit up by every far away BB as soon as you are spotted beeing able to fire back is more worth than firing faster.

All in all I like it. With the range module you kind of turn into this hybrid BB cruiser abomination that is pretty hard to kill but can also out DPM most things at range. And when you have to push in you still have a really heavy broadside and turtleback, and even at close range the reload nerf is not really that big of a deal.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,807 posts
6,439 battles

This module is a sidegrade. Honestly I don't think I'll pick it up at all. Fire is already not a big problem for Hindenburg, and as you said "lol hydro" when it comes to torpedoes. On the other hand having the concealment of the level of Moskva, but without the 36 knots hurts way too much IMO. At least I don't think it will have any chance to fit my playstyle. So nope.

Moskva upgrade seems the most interesting for cruisers IMO.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles
44 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

This module is a sidegrade. Honestly I don't think I'll pick it up at all. Fire is already not a big problem for Hindenburg, and as you said "lol hydro" when it comes to torpedoes. On the other hand having the concealment of the level of Moskva, but without the 36 knots hurts way too much IMO. At least I don't think it will have any chance to fit my playstyle. So nope.

Moskva upgrade seems the most interesting for cruisers IMO.

I'm nowhere near Hindenburg but just looking at the stats of the ship and knowing how I like to play, if I was going to forego stealth in slot 5, it would be for full rudder shift. Although you get some of that as well with the legendary module so could be interesting.

Would you really sacrifice reload on the Moskva given how good her base range and accuracy are already?

The no-brainer legendary upgrade for me is the Zao one.

[UTW]
7,807 posts
6,439 battles
1 minute ago, VC381 said:

Would you really sacrifice reload on the Moskva given how good her base range and accuracy are already?

Moskva accuracy tends to be a bit meh at longer ranges. 7% is a very nice upgrade to have, if that gives me even more long range citadel and long range 15k AP salvoes, I think it's worth it.

As for Zao, I don't know myself. Is getting only a +8% of range worth it ? Doesn't Zao need the full +16% ?

(Well, Yamato is undoubtely the best upgrade anyway)

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles
14 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

As for Zao, I don't know myself. Is getting only a +8% of range worth it ? Doesn't Zao need the full +16% ?

(Well, Yamato is undoubtely the best upgrade anyway)

Basically only played Zao in CW since I got it. Yes, I've made use of edge of range shots at +16% but I think that gap to +8% can be closed with the stealth/speed of the ship without it being a huge downside. Plus you've got a spotter plane for real sniping situations. I guess I fail my own argument on accuracy as Zao is excellent anyway. But it's the rudder shift that could make it really worth it to troll those Montanas waiting to delete you.

Yamato yes, especially in the context of the turret traverse buff that will offset the module a bit.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles

I never had any sort of problem in Zao with the stealth+rudder+16%range mod in and out of CW. The rudder seems slow even with SGM2, but in actuality I got hit a suprisingly low number of times, and when I was hit, it was usually due to focus fire. 

Now the really interesting module for me is the Henri's. It basically screws you in one way (in that you become the least stealthy thing in the match, bar none) and compensates you with upping your DPM to actually quite scary levels. Still given that even that way you are only better than Zao and Moskva (expecting every ship to be equiped with MBM3), so I'm still not sure if it's actually worth it. 

But then again, Henri could use a base RoF buff anyway. 

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,560 battles

I'm undecided about Yamato's. Accuracy is not really her problem, and with the Legendary Module (as opposed to Main Battery Mod 3) you lose 6% reload. That's almost 2 seconds. The incoming turret buff seems to balance the -19% turret traverse (again compared to the -13% from Main Battery Mod 3)

Zao loses 1,3km range (+8% range against Gun Fire Control System's +16%) and again accuracy isn't generally the problem. The +20% rudder shift time is nice. So again, undecided.

I'm going for Grozovoi's, Kurfurst's, Moskva's and Hindenburg's LMs, probably in that order.  

[UTW]
7,807 posts
6,439 battles

I saw in replays what Yamato LM is capable of. Basically laser guns on par with cruiser accuracy. It's impressive and only losing 2 second reload instead of giving up completely the reload mod is quite a nice trade.

• Cool 1

[ONIX]
Players
1,075 posts
8,560 battles
15 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

I saw in replays what Yamato LM is capable of. Basically laser guns on par with cruiser accuracy. It's impressive and only losing 2 second reload instead of giving up completely the reload mod is quite a nice trade.

Oh yes, you could be onto something. To be honest it was the fixed turret thing that annoyed me the most as it is already pretty hard to keep them on target if you like to roam a bit like myself but that seems to be (partially?) adressed by the incoming buff.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

The Yamato one is probably the biggest no brainer IMO. You get pinpoint accuracy (for a BB) with very meaty shells, so your alpha potential is beyond that of most BB's. Sacrificing 2 sec reload for 28 sec reload is a minimal loss considering you can more reliably put that damage to use. The turret traverse is blergh though but since the Yamato is more of a static BB and always required more planning due to turret traverse to begin with this is not that big of a drawback.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

I love these LM discussions as people have so different opinions. 

For me Yamato is maybe the worst BB upgrade. I can see its use in CB but thats it.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles
2 hours ago, Affeks said:

For me Yamato is maybe the worst BB upgrade. I can see its use in CB but thats it.

Personally the Republique upgrade falls into that category. Getting 1.4 second reload but giving up 6.3 km range? I always thought that the 26.1 km range is a bit overkill, 22-23 would be perfectly fine considering how this ship plays. But 19.8 km in a very big and bulky BB with 32 mm plating all over just so you can have that 1.4 sec better reload? 

The WIP version of the module got the range down to 21.9 with a -19% turret traverse and the same reload as the current module. This would have been much more fine and actually more useful. As it stands now I will get it eventually by just playing, and I will probably try it out sometime in the future. But unless it changes I can't see myself using that module much or at all tbh.

• Cool 1

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
6 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Personally the Republique upgrade falls into that category. Getting 1.4 second reload but giving up 6.3 km range? I always thought that the 26.1 km range is a bit overkill, 22-23 would be perfectly fine considering how this ship plays. But 19.8 km in a very big and bulky BB with 32 mm plating all over just so you can have that 1.4 sec better reload? 

The WIP version of the module got the range down to 21.9 with a -19% turret traverse and the same reload as the current module. This would have been much more fine and actually more useful. As it stands now I will get it eventually by just playing, and I will probably try it out sometime in the future. But unless it changes I can't see myself using that module much or at all tbh.

Seems worth it to me though. Range over 20km is close to useless. Id much rather have the DPM. Republique with Speed boost active lets it keep well within that range anyhow.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles
7 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Seems worth it to me though. Range over 20km is close to useless. Id much rather have the DPM. Republique with Speed boost active lets it keep well within that range anyhow.

Fair enough. Personally I found the Republique quite capable of taking pot shots at distant targets while I'm moving about, so there is that. I just don't think giving up all that range for a miniscule 1.4 seconds is worth it. 

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles
Just now, ollonborre said:

Fair enough. Personally I found the Republique quite capable of taking pot shots at distant targets while I'm moving about, so there is that. I just don't think giving up all that range for a miniscule 1.4 seconds is worth it. 

1.4 seconds can be a very long time, difference between a dev strike and a load of bounces on a turning target. I looked at that Republique module and thought it looked good. Don't have the ship yet but already have plenty of reason to fear it. This just adds more reason...

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

Sure it is, I just find higher RoF less situational and more reliable.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles
1 minute ago, Affeks said:

Sure it is, I just find higher RoF less situational and more reliable.

There is a danger I might agree with you and admit I might be wrong-ish. Seems the only way to figure that out is to get that module, so I might switch my legendary priorities.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

There is a danger I might agree with you and admit I might be wrong-ish. Seems the only way to figure that out is to get that module, so I might switch my legendary priorities.

Im just telling what I prefer, this is coming from someone who doesnt use range on Zao btw.

[UTW]
7,807 posts
6,439 battles
2 hours ago, Affeks said:

I love these LM discussions as people have so different opinions. 

I agree with you there. It's proof that beside the one that are clearly complete garbage (Conqueror and Montana ones, blergh), WG actually did a good job balancing them by really making them sidegrades with good and bad points.

I think there's a Panzerknacker youtube video of Yamato with LM upgrade. The game itself isn't very interesting, but you see what it becomes capable of. Honestly it's scary.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles
Just now, ShinGetsu said:

I agree with you there. It's proof that beside the one that are clearly complete garbage (Conqueror and Montana ones, blergh), WG actually did a good job balancing them by really making them sidegrades with good and bad points.

Haha I completely disagree on CQ and Monties upgrades. I think they are wonderfull sidegrades that I will def be using once I unlock them.

Only a few ones I feel are outright terrible, like DM and Mino

Again this just confirms what I said there.

BTW what version of the LM upgrade was used in the video?

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles
11 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

beside the one that are clearly complete garbage (Conqueror and Montana ones, blergh)

9 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Haha I completely disagree on CQ and Monties upgrades. I think they are wonderfull sidegrades that I will def be using once I unlock them.

Haha, yup. I'm a massive rudder shift addict and ever since the upgrade for cruisers came out I was wishing BBs could equip it. If I had those ships I would be using those upgrades for sure!