Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
1MajorKoenig

Ashitaka is awesome - can we still buff her a bit?

69 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles

Dear Fellow Sailors, dear WG!

How was I looking forward to Ashitaka - this most elegant of the majestic battle cruisers. And how many people complained upfront about the fact that she’s been a WG-A-Hull in her previous life.

I didn’t give a damn and was beyond hyped the day her dev blog dropped - still remember reading it over a beer at the airport. 

But wow - it is really hard to make her work. At first I wasn’t concerned  - as MUTSU also took me a bit - and now I love MUTSU. With Ashitaka things are more complicated though. The combination of unreliable Type 88 AP shells with extremely pronounced vulnerability gives me some headache. I really want to like her but she’s hard.

So WG - the ship is awesome - she really is. But she would need some gameplay love to make her more fun in the context of the game mechanics.

I think if she’d receive some help on either the survivability OR the striking power side she’d be absolutely fine and just so much more fun! Maybe some armor on her very weak citadel roof or the newer Type 91 shells?

She is already one of the most beautiful ships - now she can also be a real fun ship - what do you think WG?

• Cool 4

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles

Great idea. And to help WG out, here are some ideas how to nerf her together with the buff. Because remember, if the IJN premium doesn't suck, the ghosts of  Tsushima will be angry:

-Rudder shift increased to 30s

-Sigma lowered to 1

-Reload changed to 45s

-Citadel from stern to bow

You can almost feel the "balans".

• Funny 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,501 posts
6,358 battles
16 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Ashitaka is awesome

1en8jb.jpg

• Funny 4

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles
35 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Great idea. And to help WG out, here are some ideas how to nerf her together with the buff. Because remember, if the IJN premium doesn't suck, the ghosts of  Tsushima will be angry:

-Rudder shift increased to 30s

-Sigma lowered to 1

-Reload changed to 45s

-Citadel from stern to bow

You can almost feel the "balans".

Her citadel is already like this...

• Funny 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles
1 minute ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Her citadel is already like this...

Then count the superstructure as citadel too!

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles

Seriously - she is actually a pretty good representation of what the AMAGIs would have been. Lots of firepower for their time and awful protection. She likely just would have exploded on first contact with the enemy.

For the game that is a bit of an issue though. Quite honest - she feels more like a T6 despite her on paper impressive artillery. Hence my request for a little buff 

• Cool 1

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

WG gifted me an Ashitaka as a "please come back" gift.  Never played it, don't see the point.  Why can't we get a good IJN premium BB at tier 7 or 8?  :Smile_sad:

[BYOB]
Players
2,673 posts
9,762 battles
1 minute ago, krazypenguin said:

Why can't we get a good IJN premium BB at tier 7 or 8?

Because the third largest WW2 fleet didn't have any good ships. Oh wait, it was the Russians who were insignificant...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Great idea. And to help WG out, here are some ideas how to nerf her together with the buff. Because remember, if the IJN premium doesn't suck, the ghosts of  Tsushima will be angry

... You almost made me cry after realizing how true is that...  :Smile_sad: Even if I at least ended up liking Mutsu...

• Cool 1

Players
877 posts
11,126 battles

Ah, yes. It's kind of a running meme now that I'll honestly buy the first...

- historical (Harekaze is out)

- not riddled with gimmicks (Asashio is out)

- interesting, and...                                           \

- at least mediocre and/or useful IJN ship   | (just about everything else is out).

Okay, it's not that it's that completely horrible as I describe it, but off the top of my head, the four notable premiums I can think off the bat that sort of fits my "requirements" (Katori, Yubari, Atago, Kaga), only two is higher tiered "classic premium vehicle".

Although not that for example the USN is so much better lately these days with the n+1. fast battleship and "Here, have another Fletcher".

Who knows, maybe after CV rework we get a very underwhelming, just to fit in the tradition Tone.

• Funny 1

Players
312 posts
11,748 battles

Never heard anyone calling her awesome in the past :cap_wander: But I guess you are just sentimental. To be honest, given current situation, she does not fit T7 very well and does not feel like it belongs there. She could definitely use some help, improve her guns and grant her some speed to make her more of a flanking battleship. But what the hell do I know, I don't even own her to contemplate how to make her better. 

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,393 battles
8 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

1en8jb.jpg

Have you even tried the Ashi? How do you know that she´s bad? In fact i agree with Mr König. Ashi IS awesome. :P 

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles

7 hours ago, OttoZander said:

Never heard anyone calling her awesome in the past :cap_wander: But I guess you are just sentimental. To be honest, given current situation, she does not fit T7 very well and does not feel like it belongs there. She could definitely use some help, improve her guns and grant her some speed to make her more of a flanking battleship. But what the hell do I know, I don't even own her to contemplate how to make her better. 

She is beautiful but she indeed struggles a bit. If WG would buff either the AP shells (for me preferable as it would even more pronounce her BC role - just in more capable) or alternatively her citadel protection (which is really really bad) it would absolutely suffice.

3 hours ago, darkstar73 said:

Have you even tried the Ashi? How do you know that she´s bad? In fact i agree with Mr König. Ashi IS awesome. :P 

Cheers mate - much appreciated :-)

@Tuccy @Ev1n - I have seen in a recent Q&A by @Sub_Octavian that he picked her indeed as an example for a ship which might need some love. What is your current take here?

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

Well, I consider Ashitaka awesome purely for existing, because she is a gorgeous ship and I'm a big fan of classic battlecruisers, but I didn't buy her. I wanted to for a long time, I really enjoy Mutsu, but reading up about her, it seems to me WG really missed the mark and Ashitaka would not be as fun to play as I expect.

That's a shame for me and I wouldn't normally ask for buffs for a ship just because I didn't like her style. But very few people seem to think she's passable in game. And if even the people that would buy her primarily for her looks and design not any OP playstyle are shying away because she doesn't look fun... then yeah the ship needs buffs.

As for what kind, well, Ashitaka is a battlecruiser, so the focus shouldn't be on survivability, it should be on firepower and handling. Obviously her guns class her as a BB but she should have some cruiser characteristics. In game this means good handling so she can perform the reactive cruiser role, flanking, taking out targets of opportunity. Mainly, I would buff accuracy, rudder shift and turret traverse to make her more comfortable and reliable.

If you look at other battlecruisers e.g. Hood and upcoming Prinz Eitel Friedrich, they share this theme of excellent gun handling to be able to react fast. The poor shells are fine for balance if they are accurate enough to deliberately aim for upper belts where you can penetrate, or noses you can overmatch.

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles
12 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Well, I consider Ashitaka awesome purely for existing, because she is a gorgeous ship and I'm a big fan of classic battlecruisers, but I didn't buy her. I wanted to for a long time, I really enjoy Mutsu, but reading up about her, it seems to me WG really missed the mark and Ashitaka would not be as fun to play as I expect.

That's a shame for me and I wouldn't normally ask for buffs for a ship just because I didn't like her style. But very few people seem to think she's passable in game. And if even the people that would buy her primarily for her looks and design not any OP playstyle are shying away because she doesn't look fun... then yeah the ship needs buffs.

As for what kind, well, Ashitaka is a battlecruiser, so the focus shouldn't be on survivability, it should be on firepower and handling. Obviously her guns class her as a BB but she should have some cruiser characteristics. In game this means good handling so she can perform the reactive cruiser role, flanking, taking out targets of opportunity. Mainly, I would buff accuracy, rudder shift and turret traverse to make her more comfortable and reliable.

If you look at other battlecruisers e.g. Hood and upcoming Prinz Eitel Friedrich, they share this theme of excellent gun handling to be able to react fast. The poor shells are fine for balance if they are accurate enough to deliberately aim for upper belts where you can penetrate, or noses you can overmatch.

Good points as always VC!

I would be against manoeuvrability quality of live changes as it would totally contradict her enormous size - which you kinda feel at the moment. 

You have a point about survivability but it is really kind of extreme - almost every hit from a BB goes straight to the citadel. I am not against that but it could be slightly toned down as one of the options.

Accuracy is actually already decent - I think she gets the tight-at-range IJN pattern with 1.8 Sigma and with 10 guns it feels good. Issue is more the constant shattering. Which - again is fine against T6-8 but especially T9 which you see quite often is harsh. 

Long story short: I agree that the (in my opinion needed buff) should be indeed applied on the striking power side. That’ll leave her with a strong character. I would gladly take accuracy (Sigma) but as said, the most benefit would be a little more penetration. 

Players
323 posts
7,170 battles

20 games in and I really like this drunken purchase, she’s far more fun than I envisaged when sober. Plays like a true BC, lots of guns but brittle armour, you gotta move it move it!

• Cool 1

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,393 battles
4 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

She is beautiful but she indeed struggles a bit. If WG would buff either the AP shells (for me preferable as it would even more pronounce her BC role - just in more capable) or alternatively her citadel protection (which is really really bad) it would absolutely suffice.

Cheers mate - much appreciated :-)

@Tuccy @Ev1n - I have seen in a recent Q&A by @Sub_Octavian that he picked her indeed as an example for a ship which might need some love. What is your current take here?

You know, it´s so fun to see how many that doom a ship that they don´t even have :D Like the Ashitaka. I like her. a true BC. Hope they some day put a pure BC line into game  

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
4,523 posts
4,756 battles
1 minute ago, darkstar73 said:

You know, it´s so fun to see how many that doom a ship that they don´t even have :D Like the Ashitaka. I like her. a true BC. Hope they some day put a pure BC line into game  

Yes she seems unexplainable unpopular. I do have her and like her - but her two main weaknesses in combination are just harsh and I admit I didn’t play her as much as I would like to. Tbh I think she really doesn’t need that much at all to make her MUCH more fun. However I am glad you already like her as she is right now.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,760 posts
6,395 battles
15 hours ago, krazypenguin said:

Why can't we get a good IJN premium BB at tier 7 or 8?  

Kii ?

14 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

Ah, yes. It's kind of a running meme now that I'll honestly buy the first...

- historical (Harekaze is out)

- not riddled with gimmicks (Asashio is out)

- interesting, and...                                           \

- at least mediocre and/or useful IJN ship   | (just about everything else is out).

Okay, it's not that it's that completely horrible as I describe it, but off the top of my head, the four notable premiums I can think off the bat that sort of fits my "requirements" (Katori, Yubari, Atago, Kaga), only two is higher tiered "classic premium vehicle".

Although not that for example the USN is so much better lately these days with the n+1. fast battleship and "Here, have another Fletcher".

Who knows, maybe after CV rework we get a very underwhelming, just to fit in the tradition Tone.

Kii !

WHY ARE YOU FORGETTING KII. Now she's crying in a corner !

Kii's a very decent tier 8 premium. Faster than Amagi, more fragile and with a bit less sigma, but defensive torpedoes and great AA, she's a very good all-rounder !

• Cool 4

[POI--]
Players
3,156 posts
4,307 battles
23 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Kii ?

Kii !

Kii's a very decent tier 8 premium. Faster than Amagi, more fragile and with a bit less sigma, but defensive torpedoes and great AA, she's a very good all-rounder !

Shinonome was forgotten too.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles
23 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Kii ?

Kii !

That is not the Kii to making a good premium :Smile_trollface:

Seriously though, I looked at buying Kii as well to replace Amagi after moving to Izumo and also didn't bother. Every review says the accuracy is bad and that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the other gimmicks. IJN BBs are basically defined by their guns and the fact they are the most accurate at medium to long range. For an IJN premium BB we need a largely vanilla ship with awesome guns. I play IJN BBs because I want to nail enemy ships to the seabed at 16-17km. That's why I keep Amagi instead of buying one of her possible premium versions.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,760 posts
6,395 battles
2 minutes ago, VC381 said:

That is not the Kii to making a good premium :Smile_trollface:

Seriously though, I looked at buying Kii as well to replace Amagi after moving to Izumo and also didn't bother. Every review says the accuracy is bad and that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the other gimmicks. IJN BBs are basically defined by their guns and the fact they are the most accurate at medium to long range. For an IJN premium BB we need a largely vanilla ship with awesome guns. I play IJN BBs because I want to nail enemy ships to the seabed at 16-17km. That's why I keep Amagi instead of buying one of her possible premium versions.

I didn't even saw the difference between Amagi and Kii. Sigma is quite overrated, especially on ship with already very good horizontal dispersion like Amagi and Kii. That 0.1 will not cause any meaningful difference of performance.

Kii is a very decent premium, exactly like how Alabama is a very decent premium version of NC.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,501 posts
6,358 battles
9 hours ago, darkstar73 said:

I played that thing when it still was Amagis A hull, no thank you.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles
25 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I played that thing when it still was Amagis A hull, no thank you.

That's a bit like someone who played Pensacola 2 years ago saying the new one at T6 is crap without trying.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this