Sign in to follow this  
MoveZig

Nelson's heal

16 comments in this topic

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,771 battles

Any veteran Nelson players have advice on how to use the superheal? How do you decide when to trigger it? Do you use Superintendent? Feels like managing the heal is a special mechanic all of its own unlike ships with a normal heal.

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,515 battles

There isn`t much to think about it really. Pop it when your can either benefit the most, or when you really need to get a new ship quickly.

You may also bait people into thinking you are one shot, with that vast regen/sec because people often stop angling if they think you won`t survive the next shot.

• Cool 3

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,771 battles

I dunno,  it doesn't look that simple to me, there are a number of variables to consider. The main one being unhealable damage. Much more of an issue for Nelson than ships with a regular heal. Eat a couple torps and you won't get to use 3 charges in full, let alone 4. Then there's the use of DCP for fires and floodings, which are completely healable, but do you really want to let those 2 fires rage and wait for the third, or for a turret incapacitation? In addition, being less picky about using the heal without a full bar may mean more charges used, more damage healed overall, and more health for surviving damage bursts. So there are a few things to think about, both in combat and when choosing skills.

[CATS]
Players
13,610 posts
10,385 battles
1 hour ago, MoveZig said:

Any veteran Nelson players have advice on how to use the superheal? How do you decide when to trigger it? Do you use Superintendent? Feels like managing the heal is a special mechanic all of its own unlike ships with a normal heal.

Basics of Survivability, just let any fire burn. You heal when the light grey area on your damage counter stops getting bigger. Only exception: after getting citadelled. Then the grey area might be small. After a time you know how big the area can be (around half the ship).

• Cool 1

Players
2,788 posts
15,349 battles

There are mods which show exactly how much you can heal now, and when you can heal for full amount of HP.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
1 hour ago, Odo_Toothless said:

There are mods which show exactly how much you can heal now, and when you can heal for full amount of HP.

Except that often enough waiting for the "perfect" heal is absolutely the wrong thing to do. "If I wait a bit longer I will heal 1k more!" is a stupid idea / choice and should never happen.

While I myself have that mod just bcuz why not - I'm not using it to decide when to heal

OP - get a feeling for it when to use that heal. You can let 2, even 3 fires burn, especially if you build your ship to reduce fire duration. In fact, 4 fires + flooding still do less dmg per tick than your one heal will heal you, but there's no good reason to skip on Fire Prevention if you let them burn. Nelson didn't get the heals cooldown nerf like Lion and Conq, so that's never a problem. Flooding should usually be repaired tho, as it slows you down. You can let it stick situationally, but I wouldn't count on that too much

It's always better to pop an early heal than to go down without the heal activated

Also try not to give your broadside to others (especially other BBs) as if you get citadelled you can stick that heal up where the sun doesn't shine, it's not going to help anything (same goes for for torp hits midships)

• Cool 1

Players
2,788 posts
15,349 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Except that often enough waiting for the "perfect" heal is absolutely the wrong thing to do. "If I wait a bit longer I will heal 1k more!" is a stupid idea / choice and should never happen.

While I myself have that mod just bcuz why not - I'm not using it to decide when to heal

(...)

Also try not to give your broadside to others (especially other BBs)

Of course - everything depends from such factors: safety, game time, AR bonus. But without mod you don't even have a correct info and you must quess. Anyway I did not wrote how to use that info, so it looks like You are just nitpicking how somebody is wrong about something, that even was not a case.

Not showing flat broadside is always a good advice, however Nelson armor is so questionable, that 380 and higher caliber shells can citadel him from many angles - the weakest spot is under first turret. Especially >400mm are just tearing her apart. She almost can do any DMG to VIII tier ships from AP, (when properly angled) , while any ot them seems like firing Yamato shells to her. So the best advice when Nelson sees high caliber guns is to change postion or hide and use terrain cover.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

@MoveZig sounds like you're trying to over-optimise. You don't get any achievement for using all your consumables. Don't over-think it, heal when you think you need to. Of course you can afford to wait longer than other BBs and bait, but ultimately it's just practice. You can't predict the kind of damage you're going to take, the only information you need is "is the grey bar fairly big to make it worth using a heal" and "is there enough green bar for me to be safe if I don't". If the answer to the second is "no" you press T regardless of other factors.

• Cool 2

[AMOK]
Players
945 posts
5,559 battles

In my first few Nelson games i realised it is more important to assess what is probably shooting at u in the next 2 mins. In some situations ( lets say a belfast div sneaked up on u smokes 10km away and spams u) even your "monsterheal" is not helping to live through this. Waiting for the best moment sometimes gets u killed since the Nelson absorbs pens like a sponge.  But its like in any other ship "Dont get focused" ... In terms of skills Fire Prevention and Superintendent are mandatory like on many other BBs too. So main question regarding the heal should be the one @VC381 mentioned.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
10 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

while any ot them seems like firing Yamato shells to her.

Nelson is tier 7 = 25mm bow & general plating. That is overmatched by 358mm and larger guns. Most 6s, almost all 7s and all (with no exceptions) 8s have guns that large. There's your "Yamato"

Tank with your angled main belt not with your bow, noone's overmatching that

Players
2,788 posts
15,349 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Nelson is tier 7 = 25mm bow & general plating. That is overmatched by 358mm and larger guns. Most 6s, almost all 7s and all (with no exceptions) 8s have guns that large. There's your "Yamato"

Tank with your angled main belt not with your bow, noone's overmatching that

"Most" is not true, becouse a lot have much smaller guns ex. not premiums 6 with < and 5 with >. I understand game mechanics at least not worse then You. In doubt You can always compare our overall BB stats or just take Nelson to training room. 406 mm at easy could citadel angled Nelson under first turret or directly into nose. Devastated a lot of Nelsons like that. Problem of Nelson is weak front citadel protection. He just can't stand a chance especially on medium and close distances vs 380mm and an all vs bigger caliber then that.

If Mouse is wrong too, that please tell him about that.

Premium Ship Review: HMS Nelson By LittleWhiteMouse,

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/133955-premium-ship-review-hms-nelson/

The sad reality is that it's this 305mm bow plate which is HMS Nelson's achilles heel.  Even with perfect angling (approximately 25º to 26º) bow on to the enemy, this plate just cannot stand up to any guns that can overmatch her bows.  Bayern, HMS Hood and Queen Elizabeth need to get close to citadel her through the bow like this.  They can only do so at ranges of 12.0km or less.  Warspite and Mutsu can pull it off at at 13.0km.  Things jump up considerably from there.  Colorado can do so reliably from 18.0km.  Everything else can do so at ranges in excess of 20km.  When under fire from enemy super dreadnoughts, angle as best you can, know your ranges and hold your breath.

In short:  She eats citadels for days and then begs for a second helping when facing enemy battleships with 380mm guns or larger.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles

Actually the best angle to take up in Nelson sgould be around 30°, not 25. Why? Because it brings your front bulkhead to thick ebough to get nonpens and still keeps your main belt at autobounce or increased bounce chance territory. 

Players
15 posts
13 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

OP - get a feeling for it when to use that heal. You can let 2, even 3 fires burn, especially if you build your ship to reduce fire duration. In fact, 4 fires + flooding still do less dmg per tick than your one heal will heal you, but there's no good reason to skip on Fire Prevention if you let them burn. Nelson didn't get the heals cooldown nerf like Lion and Conq, so that's never a problem. Flooding should usually be repaired tho, as it slows you down. You can let it stick situationally, but I wouldn't count on that too much

It's always better to pop an early heal than to go down without the heal activated

Also try not to give your broadside to others (especially other BBs) as if you get citadelled you can stick that heal up where the sun doesn't shine, it's not going to help anything (same goes for for torp hits midships)

They should remove players with mods,and now wg. is  starting this nonsense to in game,game is getting worse after every patch,making it always easier for players,so no learning skills our needed anymore it's getting more and more click and hit.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
7 minutes ago, coyotecapri said:

They should remove players with mods,and now wg. is  starting this nonsense to in game,game is getting worse after every patch,making it always easier for players,so no learning skills our needed anymore it's getting more and more click and hit.

No skill required - I'm sure that's why your profile is private so noone could see how red your stats are?

• Cool 2

Players
15 posts

Aha another stats hunter,stats do not say you our good our bad,you can play 10 battles in a row and loose them all,can't carry all battles,and i hide my stats for everyone who is obsessed by those numbers(hint).And no i may be not the best player bud the last 2-3 months it's getting worse in random with the players,people our not playing for the objective(to win),only for damage,which is ruining the gameplay.

[CATS]
Players
13,610 posts
10,385 battles
24 minutes ago, coyotecapri said:

Aha another stats hunter,stats do not say you our good our bad,you can play 10 battles in a row and loose them all,can't carry all battles,and i hide my stats for everyone who is obsessed by those numbers(hint).And no i may be not the best player bud the last 2-3 months it's getting worse in random with the players,people our not playing for the objective(to win),only for damage,which is ruining the gameplay.

But they do. That is why you do not look at 10, but a 1000 battles.

And no, you do not look at damage.

Sign in to follow this