You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blixies

How's Khaba these days?

44 comments in this topic

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,057 posts
3,785 battles

Hello fellow Caps!

After what seemed like eternity I'm very close to getting the famed Khebabovsk.

I presume that the no-concealment build with heal consumable is still the go-to build, but please let me know if you prefer some other way of playing it.
Also, what is your recent experience playing this little monster? Has the meta shifted in any way that is beneficial/hurting the Khabarovsk?
What is your general opinion of the ship? Also any general tips are welcomed.

As always, thank you for your time and input in advance.

[CATS]
Players
13,488 posts
10,344 battles

I played her for a long time with a concealment build. 

With the newest upgrade WG is telling us to play her like a light cruiser and I changed my setup. 

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,057 posts
3,785 battles
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I played her for a long time with a concealment build. 

With the newest upgrade WG is telling us to play her like a light cruiser and I changed my setup. 

Interesting, how exactly did you change the build?

[AEDL]
Players
269 posts
8,921 battles

I play Khaba very agressive. Normally I run againts enemy start firing just before detected...engine boost on turning back using a and d all the time...and ofcourse shooting all the time.When I am again about 14 km from enemy I stop shooting anw wait until undetectd...heal and same again.If there is lonely bb or cruiser and I have a lot of hp left I can run direct against that ship shooting with bow guns and use torps when very close.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
31 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Hello fellow Caps!

After what seemed like eternity I'm very close to getting the famed Khebabovsk.

I presume that the no-concealment build with heal consumable is still the go-to build, but please let me know if you prefer some other way of playing it.
Also, what is your recent experience playing this little monster? Has the meta shifted in any way that is beneficial/hurting the Khabarovsk?
What is your general opinion of the ship? Also any general tips are welcomed.

As always, thank you for your time and input in advance.

It is a very good ship, my mostly played with 200+ battles.

Heal ofc instead of smoke, stay at 12 km from enemy targets, shoot and scoot. (majority of times HE shells)

If things get to hairy, disengage, heal up, and back again.

Priority target, Prev Maint

Adrenaline, Last stand

Survival Expert, Super Intend, BFT

AFT

Edit main arm mod 1, special engine boost mod, aiming system mod 1, steering gears mod 2, steer gear mod 3 and main batt mod 3

• Cool 4

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,057 posts
3,785 battles
4 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Heal ofc instead of smoke, stay at 12 km from enemy targets, shoot and scoot. (majority of times HE shells)

Adrenaline, Last stand

AFT

Good stuff. This is coincidentally exactly the build I planned for the ship myself. Feels good to have it confirmed as a viable one. Cheers.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,488 posts
10,344 battles
1 hour ago, Blixies said:

Interesting, how exactly did you change the build?

Similar to what tank uses, but my captain is just at 14 points.

It is a bit boring that WG pushes the players to such a setup, but the range increase of the new Upgrade (–6% to main battery loading time/ +8% to main battery maximum firing range) will be just too good for anything else.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,641 posts
13,071 battles

As long as you don't try to play her as a torp boat like so many others I've seen recently you should be fine.

Seriously, when I told one to use his guns instead he answered "omg stfu noob DDs don't use guns".

• Funny 11

[POI--]
Players
3,154 posts
4,307 battles
34 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

As long as you don't try to play her as a torp boat like so many others I've seen recently you should be fine.

Seriously, when I told one to use his guns instead he answered "omg stfu noob DDs don't use guns".

Depending on where you fill in the missing punctuation, he was actually right.

• Funny 7

[ITR]
Beta Tester, Players
1,057 posts
3,785 battles
33 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That's just sad man :(

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,332 posts
12,562 battles

I played against a Khaba that had the new legendary mod yesterday. God it was nasty. I was playing a BB, and it kept spamming me from 14km-14.5km a way. Good luck hitting a Khaba at that range. And the fires..... :Smile_teethhappy: 2 opening shells that hit me put me on double fire. Repaired and 3 more. God bless Conqueror heal i guess.  lel. I don't play Khaba alot anymore, but looks like she is doing more than fine these days. 

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
205 posts
4,867 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Reminds me of a Podvoisky player who ignored 3 caps in domination and when questioned, his argument was "I'm in a destroyer. I'm supposed to destroy ships", albeit his version wasn't quite so eloquent.

Beta Tester
2,020 posts
8,136 battles
4 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

I played against a Khaba that had the new legendary mod yesterday. God it was nasty. I was playing a BB, and it kept spamming me from 14km-14.5km a way. Good luck hitting a Khaba at that range. And the fires..... :Smile_teethhappy: 2 opening shells that hit me put me on double fire. Repaired and 3 more. God bless Conqueror heal i guess.  lel. I don't play Khaba alot anymore, but looks like she is doing more than fine these days. 

I have hit straight-lining Khabas at 15-20 km easily. 

The problem is a heavily maneuvering double-rudder-Khaba at 13 km. 

That is why I will not bother getting that Upgrade myself. 

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles

Still good fun, I run the same setup as tank276 except for BFT and that's purely because I only have a 17 point captain, I'll be going BFT or DE at 19.

You do get idiots telling you how you should be playing as if you're a concealment build DD and pushing cap straight away. It's great against BB's, floaty arc cruisers, and demolishes DD's if you're at the right range.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,571 posts
6,631 battles

With some Coal I bought the speed boost extender because I only ever get radar from crates.  This thing can shift across the map really fast.   Stand off at good range and rain HE down on the baddies.53

Only thing I wish I had was a build with RFD to hunt the enemy stealth DDs, but then my large detection range sort of does that for me.

[SCRUB]
Players
555 posts
10,450 battles

Just out of curiosity, is it viable to use the concealment module instead of double rudder? 

Players
3,257 posts
6,839 battles
20 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

Just out of curiosity, is it viable to use the concealment module instead of double rudder? 

For what? You won't be even close camo wise to other DDs, times of stealth firing or 10km torps are long gone and your rudder shift is at best comparable to cruiser. Big one at that

[DPT]
Players
225 posts
7,586 battles
34 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

I use double rudder with CE and engine boost. Kinda the same except that your Khaba is very mobile and can rush enemy dds easier. 

Won't help you against big ships but still is kinda fun to ruin the day of some poor IJN DD.

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles
12 minutes ago, Desteban said:

I use double rudder with CE and engine boost. Kinda the same except that your Khaba is very mobile and can rush enemy dds easier. 

Won't help you against big ships but still is kinda fun to ruin the day of some poor IJN DD.

How? To run double rudder you need to replace concealment mod.

[DPT]
Players
225 posts
7,586 battles
47 minutes ago, Malfuss said:

How? To run double rudder you need to replace concealment mod.

40% rudder module and Engine Module + Concealment Expert Cpt Skill

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
8 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

I think the trade off is not worth it dude.

You will improve your horrible 9.7 km concealment, sure , but you will also lose a big chunk of the nimbleness that keeps you alive when you dodge enemy fire.

It used to be an option back in the day that Khaba had great rudder by its own (with no need for modules), not any more IMO.

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles
7 hours ago, Desteban said:

40% rudder module and Engine Module + Concealment Expert Cpt Skill

Ah, got you, thought you meant Concealment module, my bad. What does that get your concealment down to, out of interest?

[TS1]
Players
451 posts
7,145 battles
20 hours ago, tank276 said:

Adrenaline, Last stand

AFT

Edit main arm mod 1, special engine boost mod, aiming system mod 1, steering gears mod 2, steer gear mod 3 and main batt mod 3

I use almost the same setup. I use the AA mod instead of the aiming mod. Your AA isn't great, but it's enough to shoot down caterpult planes and maybe 1-3 planes in a squad so the extra range helps a bit.

As for tactics, well, as most say, stay at range while firing all the time works well enough most of the time, just pick where on the map you will have the biggest impact. In general it's probably where you have spotting help and there are enemy DDs. Otherwise you can help spot for smoke cruisers and ships hiding behind islands since you don't really use cover much in the Kebab.

Though remember that even if your torps only have 6km range and are very slow they still do a decent amount of damage and they're the stealthiest torps in the game, so if there is an opportunity to go dark and do a surprise torpedo run around an island then go for it. With your armour, health and speed you can also rush ships if they just sit beside an island. BBs can still blap you if they're ready for you and have a bit of luck, but CAs like the DM or Moskva don't have the firepower to take you down with two or so salvos and they don't have torps. Just don't rush ships that are facing away from you since even with your speed it will take some time to catch up enough to them to use torps and they can severely hurt you before that.

While fighting DDs I find that most of the time the enemy DD dies to my gunfire before the torps reach him. So unless a DD tries to rush me or I'm about to die I usually don't bother with the torps. Though if a DD smokes up within 6km he will have a nasty surprise coming for him.

Capping is a bit special for the Kebab. You usually have to have some sort of spotting help to bully other DDs out of the cap without overextending yourself. But if you're alone on the flank it's not too hard to just charge them and scare them away or kill them outright. Just beware of hydro DDs. In big caps you can often drive around in the edge of the cap but most of the time I tend to be just outside the caps while the smaller ally DD does the actual capping. If they know you're there most DDs don't want to get too close. Oh, and capping is a valid excuse to not shoot for a bit of time.

Oh, and special mention for the A cap on Sleeping Giant. If you spawn to the far west you can usually rush the cap and enter it before taking too much damage. Once in you can sit on the side closest to the enemy so they can't lob shells at you. And if you have some support then they probably don't want to enter the cap either, so free cap. Though they could always enter from the other side, but that will probably be a DD and you know how to deal with those. This tactic works slightly better from the south because of how the entrance to the cap is made.

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
2 hours ago, Malfuss said:

Ah, got you, thought you meant Concealment module, my bad. What does that get your concealment down to, out of interest?

I think you get down to 8.7 km concealment with the captain perk.

If u get the concealment mod in place of the mod3 rudder, u go down to 7.9 km. (which compared to the 9.7 I have on the current build is significant, but still).

• Cool 2

Players
276 posts
3,409 battles
38 minutes ago, tank276 said:

I think you get down to 8.7 km concealment with the captain perk.

If u get the concealment mod in place of the mod3 rudder, u go down to 7.9 km. (which compared to the 9.7 I have on the current build is significant, but still).

Thanks, think I'll stick with my current build it seems to work well enough!