You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Otarito

Hood feels underwhelming

46 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts
639 battles

So I bought the HMS Hood a few weeks back and it's a pretty fun ship, but it's AA is pretty powerful (at least compared to most other BBs), so I, like others, have invested into getting the AA as good as possible.
Yet every game I play in the Hood NEVER has CVs in. Every other ship I play has like an 80% chance of at least 1 CV per side, but I literally never see them with the Hood. And I'm just sitting here with maxed out AA and a DAA consumable that doesn't do anything as there's nothing to shoot down (at this point I'm just using it to press button's when I'm bored), is this normal? I know CVs aren't very popular but come on, I'll play the Hood - 0 CV, play the Nagato 2 CV per side. Just kinda making me think that i could've bought another BB that actually has useful stuff, like the Mutsu or the Tirpitz. Or at least they don't come with something that is useless.

I do know that I could have upgraded the ship's survivability or it's concealment, but with the AA it comes with I just thought that it'd be brilliant in the games I do get focused by CVs to max it - as BBs do often get focused by torp and dive bombers, and the Hood should have been the ship to be a massive middle finger to CVs that  focus me, yet I never see them, but only in this ship.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[POI--]
Players
3,204 posts
4,348 battles
5 minutes ago, Otarito said:

So I bought the HMS Hood a few weeks back and it's a pretty fun ship, but it's AA is pretty powerful (at least compared to most other BBs), so I, like others, have invested into getting the AA as good as possible.
Yet every game I play in the Hood NEVER has CVs in. Every other ship I play has like an 80% chance of at least 1 CV per side, but I literally never see them with the Hood. And I'm just sitting here with maxed out AA and a DAA consumable that doesn't do anything as there's nothing to shoot down (at this point I'm just using it to press button's when I'm bored), is this normal? I know CVs aren't very popular but come on, I'll play the Hood - 0 CV, play the Nagato 2 CV per side. Just kinda making me think that i could've bought another BB that actually has useful stuff, like the Mutsu or the Tirpitz. Or at least they don't come with something that is useless.

I do know that I could have upgraded the ship's survivability or it's concealment, but with the AA it comes with I just thought that it'd be brilliant in the games I do get focused by CVs to max it - as BBs do often get focused by torp and dive bombers, and the Hood should have been the ship to be a massive middle finger to CVs that  focus me, yet I never see them, but only in this ship.

Both come with torps. How often do you need those? On Mutsu, it's basically just a joke.

The main error you made was thinking Hood is about its AA. It isn't. The AA is but some funny add-on trick, which you can spec into or not, and then forget it even existed. Not rarely your rocket launchers will get wrecked anyway, making it entirely pointless. What Hood is about is the tankiness and speed. And it's what you'll have to use for consistent good performance. This ship is not bad. It's an actually decent premium. But you have to realise, your hit point pool is there for a reason. And it is the largest at your tier for a reason. Hood can soak up potential damage like few can at T7, thanks to its high hp pool, a heal that restores 60% pen damage (instead of 50%. It's a bit extra, don't get too excited) and its ability to angle. It is blessed with turret firing angles that many others at the tier in the game can only dream of, being able to use all 8 of its guns without leaving autobounce territory. It's amazing. Also, it has not just armour belt all the way to the deck (no squishy upper belt), but also 51 mm deck for most of the deck section. This makes Hood, together with Gneisenau one of the most HE resistant BBs at the tier, shattering even IFHE 152 mm and German 203 mm (that one millimetre is actually important. Yorck pens the deck though) along large parts of the ship. Can your Nagato claim such tankiness? No, it cannot. It eats a 5-6k IFHE salvo from something like a Shchors or Helena while your Hood will lose maybe 1-2k and maybe catch fire (but that can be repaired).

Hood also is seriously fast. Like, max speed of 32 knots. That is Gneisenau level. Only Iowa/Missouri will be faster in your MM spread (and french BB with speed boost). Compared to Nagato and, dev team bless them, the Colorado, your ship has a far easier time repositioning and dictating the engagement range. Turning circle is wide, like with Gneisenau, but with such speed, you turn around surprisingly fast (you just need the space for it). Rudder is responsive too, so no fear that you are missing out there (or that you'd need to spec into steetring gears over damage control to add to your tankiness.

What is the price of this all, you might ask? Well, it comes twofold. First, you get no spotter plane. Keeps you a bit blind and short ranged. Eh, gotta live with it. Really, it is inconvenient, but of all the downsides one could have, I think thise one is pretty acceptable. Second are the guns. They lack pen. Seriously. They will not citadel BBs unless you are very very close. This is due to reduced penetration values, but also a less delayed fuze. But less delayed fuze means that against lightly armoured targets (read, cruisers and Ds) you overpen less and often pen for serious hurt or citadel the cruiser right out. It's not a complete downside thus. Especially, considering you can still slap broadside BB for 10 k, at very short ranges you do get citadels and you can still overmatch. If you fight angled opponents (the ones that are actually hard to kill anyway, as for the broadsiders, you don't need an OP ship to take them apart), you weren't going to get citadels anyway, so hitting the bow for overmatch pens is a decent strategy. Or superstructure, with reduced overpen risk.

Some may claim the guns are derpy. No, they aren't. They just aren't Warspite guns. They are basically QE guns, with better traverse (much better). And they are still sufficient to wreck things. And if you compare it to the opposition, Gneisenau and Lyon have far less accurate guns, with Gneisenau having no way to even compensate for that like Lyon can with 16 shells. Hood thus is a solid package of a very very good T7 BB hull and a mediocre main battery. But the main battery is not bad and the handling is good.It might not be as exciting as, say, Scharnhorst, the torp BB with its samaller fast firing guns, but it is a solid ship that doesn't need to hide. And while you likely never will devstrike a BB, as long as you don't show your very underwhelming flat broadside belt, you won't be devstriked either. But hey, a Nagato showing side isn't any less dead.

• Cool 9

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
37 minutes ago, Otarito said:

Yet every game I play in the Hood NEVER has CVs in. Every other ship I play has like an 80% chance of at least 1 CV per side, but I literally never see them with the Hood.

There is a 100% solution for that. Find a mate that likes CV playing.

Make a division, he picks the CV, you pick the Hood. As YOU have a CV, you will ALWAYS get a CV in the enemy team.

Now, here's another trick. If he takes a Tier 6 CV, the max you will see is (supposed to be) Tier 8. 

Not sure if the last one works though, we had Akas tsuki/Queen Elizabeth, but we got some tier 9 anyway.

• Cool 2

Players
9 posts
639 battles
11 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Both come with torps. How often do you need those? On Mutsu, it's basically just a joke.

The main error you made was thinking Hood is about its AA. It isn't. The AA is but some funny add-on trick, which you can spec into or not, and then forget it even existed. Not rarely your rocket launchers will get wrecked anyway, making it entirely pointless. What Hood is about is the tankiness and speed. And it's what you'll have to use for consistent good performance. This ship is not bad. It's an actually decent premium. But you have to realise, your hit point pool is there for a reason. And it is the largest at your tier for a reason. Hood can soak up potential damage like few can at T7, thanks to its high hp pool, a heal that restores 60% pen damage (instead of 50%. It's a bit extra, don't get too excited) and its ability to angle. It is blessed with turret firing angles that many others at the tier in the game can only dream of, being able to use all 8 of its guns without leaving autobounce territory. It's amazing. Also, it has not just armour belt all the way to the deck (no squishy upper belt), but also 51 mm deck for most of the deck section. This makes Hood, together with Gneisenau one of the most HE resistant BBs at the tier, shattering even IFHE 152 mm and German 203 mm (that one millimetre is actually important. Yorck pens the deck though) along large parts of the ship. Can your Nagato claim such tankiness? No, it cannot. It eats a 5-6k IFHE salvo from something like a Shchors or Helena while your Hood will lose maybe 1-2k and maybe catch fire (but that can be repaired).

Hood also is seriously fast. Like, max speed of 32 knots. That is Gneisenau level. Only Iowa/Missouri will be faster in your MM spread (and french BB with speed boost). Compared to Nagato and, dev team bless them, the Colorado, your ship has a far easier time repositioning and dictating the engagement range. Turning circle is wide, like with Gneisenau, but with such speed, you turn around surprisingly fast (you just need the space for it). Rudder is responsive too, so no fear that you are missing out there (or that you'd need to spec into steetring gears over damage control to add to your tankiness.

What is the price of this all, you might ask? Well, it comes twofold. First, you get no spotter plane. Keeps you a bit blind and short ranged. Eh, gotta live with it. Really, it is inconvenient, but of all the downsides one could have, I think thise one is pretty acceptable. Second are the guns. They lack pen. Seriously. They will not citadel BBs unless you are very very close. This is due to reduced penetration values, but also a less delayed fuze. But less delayed fuze means that against lightly armoured targets (read, cruisers and Ds) you overpen less and often pen for serious hurt or citadel the cruiser right out. It's not a complete downside thus. Especially, considering you can still slap broadside BB for 10 k, at very short ranges you do get citadels and you can still overmatch. If you fight angled opponents (the ones that are actually hard to kill anyway, as for the broadsiders, you don't need an OP ship to take them apart), you weren't going to get citadels anyway, so hitting the bow for overmatch pens is a decent strategy. Or superstructure, with reduced overpen risk.

Some may claim the guns are derpy. No, they aren't. They just aren't Warspite guns. They are basically QE guns, with better traverse (much better). And they are still sufficient to wreck things. And if you compare it to the opposition, Gneisenau and Lyon have far less accurate guns, with Gneisenau having no way to even compensate for that like Lyon can with 16 shells. Hood thus is a solid package of a very very good T7 BB hull and a mediocre main battery. But the main battery is not bad and the handling is good.It might not be as exciting as, say, Scharnhorst, the torp BB with its samaller fast firing guns, but it is a solid ship that doesn't need to hide. And while you likely never will devstrike a BB, as long as you don't show your very underwhelming flat broadside belt, you won't be devstriked either. But hey, a Nagato showing side isn't any less dead.

I do know the ship's pros and cons like you said, and it is a good one for definite, I just wanted a BB that actually deals with CVs, and now that I have one, I never see them. Fellsbadman. But I do love the speed of the ship and it's guns aren't the most inaccurate I've seen, which is a plus.
But as a HUGE fan of the Kongo, I do love the Hood in a similar way, just Hood looses range of guns for better protection for it's tier, which I'm perfectly okay with.
I'm just salty that I have a BB with a DAA consumable and really good base AA anyway, and yet CVs are lost in MM, but when I play literally any other ship my games are filled with them.

Players
9 posts
639 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

There is a 100% solution for that. Find a mate that likes CV playing.

Make a division, he picks the CV, you pick the Hood. As YOU have a CV, you will ALWAYS get a CV in the enemy team.

Now, here's another trick. If he takes a Tier 6 CV, the max you will see is (supposed to be) Tier 8. 

Not sure if the last one works though, we had Akas tsuki/Queen Elizabeth, but we got some tier 9 anyway.

that would be an awesome idea...If I had friends that played this game :'(

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,204 posts
4,348 battles
8 minutes ago, Otarito said:

I do know the ship's pros and cons like you said, and it is a good one for definite, I just wanted a BB that actually deals with CVs, and now that I have one, I never see them. Fellsbadman. But I do love the speed of the ship and it's guns aren't the most inaccurate I've seen, which is a plus.
But as a HUGE fan of the Kongo, I do love the Hood in a similar way, just Hood looses range of guns for better protection for it's tier, which I'm perfectly okay with.
I'm just salty that I have a BB with a DAA consumable and really good base AA anyway, and yet CVs are lost in MM, but when I play literally any other ship my games are filled with them.

That's a CV issue, not a Hood issue, really. Just enjoy the ship and keep in mind, you get a BB with stupid AA without having to invest as much as a Gneisenau and without being basically a New york, like the Texas. What's an AA-spec Texas going to do, but suffer from 21 knots speed and lulzy T5 MM, fighting ships it has no chance of beating typically?

Maybe one day CVs will return.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
Just now, Otarito said:

You can easily make friends. If you play on the weekend, befriend some CV players. 

Since you befriend them at the weekend, that is probably when they play (which is handy). 

Noted: You have not that many battles. I have 200 more than you, and I do not play that much at all. 

I had an account before though (played together with my son) that had 10x more battles. 

It is probably also a thing of 'learning to play T7', with Hood, have hardly reaheed Tier 6 now. 

Have you reached T6 already before you bought Hood?

I've seen Hood in action and played against them - seems like damn good ship to me. 

Queen Elizabeth guns (Tier 6) are OK, they will even work in Tier 9 no problem. Just the QE is soooo slow... 

Might buy Hood next (a lightning fast QE), or maybe the Warspite ( better guns, but just as slow as QE, dammit). 

I'd forget about that AA though. One hit from a stupid lucky cruiser and the AA guns are broken. 

[TTT]
Players
3,626 posts
7,459 battles
14 minutes ago, Otarito said:

it's not like this is a forum, where you could find people to play with... :cap_hmm:

• Funny 1

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Maybe one day CVs will return.

I have seen loads of them today, sometimes even double. 

Stick close to a cruiser or any other BB and they will not be able to do much. 

One match I shot down 23 in the Q.E. while sticking close to a buddy in a Leander. 

Whole squadrons eliminated... few torps that came missed by a mile. 

What's the point of having 'AA specced BB'? Especially when Hood can keep up with cruisers. 

Players
9 posts
639 battles
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

You can easily make friends. If you play on the weekend, befriend some CV players. 

Since you befriend them at the weekend, that is probably when they play (which is handy). 

Noted: You have not that many battles. I have 200 more than you, and I do not play that much at all. 

I had an account before though (played together with my son) that had 10x more battles. 

It is probably also a thing of 'learning to play T7', with Hood, have hardly reaheed Tier 6 now. 

Have you reached T6 already before you bought Hood?

I've seen Hood in action and played against them - seems like damn good ship to me. 

Queen Elizabeth guns (Tier 6) are OK, they will even work in Tier 9 no problem. Just the QE is soooo slow... 

Might buy Hood next (a lightning fast QE), or maybe the Warspite ( better guns, but just as slow as QE, dammit). 

I'd forget about that AA though. One hit from a stupid lucky cruiser and the AA guns are broken. 

I've fully maxed the Fuso and almost got enough to research the Amagi. So I've played a fair few tier 6 and 7 games, and Nagato has been within my top 3 favourite ships since I researched her a while back.
But I'll look at finding some people to play with like you said. :)

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
13 minutes ago, Otarito said:

I've fully maxed the Fuso and almost got enough to research the Amagi. So I've played a fair few tier 6 and 7 games, and Nagato has been within my top 3 favourite ships since I researched her a while back.
But I'll look at finding some people to play with like you said. :)

British BBs are something else though, but maybe the Hood is more like the IJN ones. 

I never played IJN BB  (UK and US for me). But I find shooting at them very easy. Britisch guns chew them up like cake. 

If Hood has guns like the QE, try shooting a Fudo from < 12 km and see half health disappear...

I'd equip the captain with 'adrenalin rush' and have fun realoading quickly... delaying the heal. 

And get the extra consumables skill. (one more heal). Such stuff.  

[POI--]
Players
3,204 posts
4,348 battles
3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I never played IJN BB  (UK and US for me). But I find shooting at them very easy. Britisch guns chew them up like cake. 

Broadside yes, angled, no. IJN from T5 to T7 have highest hp in tier of all non-premiums and while not the greatest of armour schemes, sufficient to not outright die if not shot in the citadel from the side. Decent guns though and from T5 all the way to T8 among the best overall ships for their tier. Nagato basically does to KGV what your QE did to Fuso. And the Amagi...

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Broadside yes, angled, no. IJN from T5 to T7 have highest hp in tier of all non-premiums and while not the greatest of armour schemes, sufficient to not outright die if not shot in the citadel from the side. Decent guns though and from T5 all the way to T8 among the best overall ships for their tier. Nagato basically does to KGV what your QE did to Fuso. And the Amagi...

Maybe that is why they get cocky... I never show broadside to any BB or CA if I can help it.

Wait until after they fire before making the turn, or turn behind an island. 

Face-on, shoot the front guns, angle a bit, wait untill they shoot back and then swing the rear to fire rear turrets.

It is not that hard. Should be good in Hood as well. 

True, sometimes I have to shoot them 3 or 4 times, if they are angled. But... 

You would NOT want to buy all IJN Fuso's that keep sailing in the  same straight line a beer...

Sometimes I can just shoot them 4 times without even re-aiming. 

And when they come close they seem no better at steering. 

Boarrfff I find the German ships more annoying, with their secondaries. 

Nagato I can handle. I do not see a lot of them though.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,711 posts
13,166 battles
6 hours ago, Otarito said:

I, like others, have invested into getting the AA as good as possible.

....Just why?

Even if there were lots of CVs around experienced CV players wouldn't go strike you anyway until your AA is sufficiently demolished (or they can just long drop you making your DFAA moot) while inexperienced or dumb CV players will get their planes wiped with or without AA specialization.

Get AFT + AA range, anything more is overkill and therefore a waste of points that are much better spent elsewhere.

Also Hood is vulnerable to AP bombs. Be careful on what you use your DFAA for. Or, if you're alone, just accept that you're going to die one way or another.

If you really want to annoy CV players, play an AA cruiser. No BB deals particularly well with air strikes as AA mounts can be destroyed easily by HE spam. Hood is actually one of the worst AA BBs around, being thoroughly incapable of defending her allies (due to the short range of her DFAA and otherwise abysmal AA values) and completely reliant on her few short range rocket mounts (which have a hilarious 200 HP pool, meaning they'll get wiped out if you just sneeze at them in literally anything) + DFAA for self defense. Just a few HE salvos can neutralize the threat you pose to CVs along with all your spent captain points and upgrades completely.

Whenever I play a CV, particularly my Enterprise, a Hood is always a welcome sight on the enemy team.

• Cool 2

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
608 posts
5,998 battles

hood is not a bad ship. Can i give you an advice?

i see that you have 500 battles and  have bought already 2 premium ship, high tier premium ship (atago and hood).

For having only 500 battles, you are a good player and you will probably in the future become a little unicorn, especially with the fact that you know what the forum is, but PLEASE, don't buy/play high tier ship until you have reached that tier with silver ship and have at least 100 battles on that tier and class under your belt. High tier games are different and way less forgiving than lower tier, so don't rush to tier 10, keep calm and slowly get there!

[TENGO]
Players
1,485 posts
8,252 battles
9 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

High tier games are different and way less forgiving than lower tier

I guess if he bought the Atago he already knows that all too well :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
608 posts
5,998 battles
2 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

I guess if he bought the Atago he already knows that all too well :Smile_trollface:

yea..lately i found more idiots on tier 10 battles than tier 7

[TENGO]
Players
1,485 posts
8,252 battles
1 minute ago, Flavio1997 said:

yea..lately i found more idiots on tier 10 battles than tier 7

tell me about it. Summer holidays I guess...

[FDUSH]
Players
1,044 posts
6,194 battles

Usually I avoid Hoods when I play with my Ryujo and Kaga unless they become a priority target (like, getting too close to me). And even if I had to I would send torpedo planes and drop them as far as I can (while making sure I would hit the target).

About the whole "play with friends" thing. It is not that easy, sometimes I tried to use the "looking for a division" option when I wad drunk enought, but despite writting "I play with cvs" I keep being dragged into clan wars where you can't use carriers.

[POI--]
Players
3,204 posts
4,348 battles

Honestly Hood AA is not that good that you'd want a CV in your match. Even fully specced for it. This is no Atlanta/Flint/Gneisenau, ships that actually have an AA worth something for defending ships around them. Hood defAA is practically just a button you press to try not get dropped too hard or to make it costly at least. Given the large turning circle, this ship is not exactly good for CV divs (Gneisenau at least has the long range AA to not be as helpless).

Players
9 posts
639 battles
7 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

hood is not a bad ship. Can i give you an advice?

i see that you have 500 battles and  have bought already 2 premium ship, high tier premium ship (atago and hood).

For having only 500 battles, you are a good player and you will probably in the future become a little unicorn, especially with the fact that you know what the forum is, but PLEASE, don't buy/play high tier ship until you have reached that tier with silver ship and have at least 100 battles on that tier and class under your belt. High tier games are different and way less forgiving than lower tier, so don't rush to tier 10, keep calm and slowly get there!

I know it's not a bad ship, I personally really enjoy it and do fairly well with it.
I'm just annoyed that I've got a ship with a gimmick I literally cannot use. I see CVs every game EXCEPT for when I'm in my ship that can deal with them without relying on teammates.

And on your point about waiting to get tier 8s, I understand the idea of waiting to be at the tier before investing money into it, (as I have always seen players with tier 6+ ships when they have less than 50 battles on their acc.)
But I have the exp. to purchase the T8 BB for Japan. but considering the Hood is a ship I've wanted for a while and it was in a nice bundle for a bit I thought I shouldn't pass up the chance to get it. And either way, the next ship I was gonna get was gonna be a tier 8 BB, premium or not as I already have a fully maxed tier 7 BB. So technically I'm going up at the same pace as anyone would be. And if I got the Amagi before the Hood, I would be at a disadvantage (in comparison to the premium) due to no maxed modules and no commander with any levels.

Also the Atago was only purchased to get myself some of the cruisers for the space event (through the missions) as I had no cruisers at a high enough tier. I will most likely play it more when I return to using my cruiser line, but right now BBs are my priority.

[POI--]
Players
3,204 posts
4,348 battles
12 minutes ago, Otarito said:

I know it's not a bad ship, I personally really enjoy it and do fairly well with it.
I'm just annoyed that I've got a ship with a gimmick I literally cannot use. I see CVs every game EXCEPT for when I'm in my ship that can deal with them without relying on teammates.

You may not have had to use the gimmick, but it also saved you from noticing how pointless it can be.

14 minutes ago, Otarito said:

But I have the exp. to purchase the T8 BB for Japan. but considering the Hood is a ship I've wanted for a while and it was in a nice bundle for a bit I thought I shouldn't pass up the chance to get it.

Mighty Hood Bundle or aL Hood Bundle?

15 minutes ago, Otarito said:

But I have the exp. to purchase the T8 BB for Japan. but considering the Hood is a ship I've wanted for a while and it was in a nice bundle for a bit I thought I shouldn't pass up the chance to get it. And either way, the next ship I was gonna get was gonna be a tier 8 BB, premium or not as I already have a fully maxed tier 7 BB. So technically I'm going up at the same pace as anyone would be. And if I got the Amagi before the Hood, I would be at a disadvantage (in comparison to the premium) due to no maxed modules and no commander with any levels.

Imo, the logic isn't bad, just, T8 BB premiums are not exactly great. Their tech tree companions typically outshine them. Not necessarily worth 45 Euro. 

Players
9 posts
639 battles
2 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

You may not have had to use the gimmick, but it also saved you from noticing how pointless it can be.

Mighty Hood Bundle or aL Hood Bundle?

Imo, the logic isn't bad, just, T8 BB premiums are not exactly great. Their tech tree companions typically outshine them. Not necessarily worth 45 Euro. 

1. Fair enough, can't argue with that
2. AL Bundle
3. I'd say as a ship without the gimmick, it's serving its purpose well. So worth the money imo, I just wanna see what the DAA is like in practice (as I'm used to having pretty poor AA due to rarely playing cruisers).