VC381

Zao torpedo angles

18 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

So after 4 tiers of great kiting ships with torpedoes that only fire backwards you get an awesome kiting ship that can only fire its torpedoes... forwards. Wut?! I'm not really complaining because the ship is amazing and 20x 12km torps is pretty great too. But it's a bit jarring. Been caught out by it a couple of times.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles

The torp angles are indeed somewhat more awkward than on the Mogami for example. But with the addition of 12 km torps I found myself using them a lot more than previously so there is that I guess. 

Still they are more of a "stop following me" tool rather than a pure damage one. Or that has been my experience thus far atleast since people don't like to chase Zaos around the map for some reason.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles
4 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

The torp angles are indeed somewhat more awkward than on the Mogami for example. But with the addition of 12 km torps I found myself using them a lot more than previously so there is that I guess. 

Still they are more of a "stop following me" tool rather than a pure damage one. Or that has been my experience thus far atleast since people don't like to chase Zaos around the map for some reason.

I don't really play TX randoms (find them stressful tbh) but I almost exclusively play Zao in CB. The other day I was assigned the glorious task of torpedoing a Yammy. the 12km torps made me feel so dirty (and also satisfied) when I open-water stealth-dropped him :D

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles
8 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Or that has been my experience thus far atleast since people don't like to chase Zaos around the map for some reason.

There is other reasons that people don't like to chase zao at all !

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
9 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

There is other reasons that people don't like to chase zao at all !

What you mean people don't like chasing around a stealthy troll armor flamethrower that now also can dump essentially a Shima volley of torps at you?:Smile-_tongue:

13 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

I don't really play TX randoms (find them stressful tbh) but I almost exclusively play Zao in CB. The other day I was assigned the glorious task of torpedoing a Yammy. the 12km torps made me feel so dirty (and also satisfied) when I open-water stealth-dropped him :D

Stealth torping is certianly a valid tactic, just not one I primarily use. If I'm healthy I will fire the torps more as a complement to my gunpower, since the torps cooldown is a bit too long for them to be a reliable damage tool. If I hit and cause damage/flooding, great. But even if the torps miss it forces my target to dodge and normally that means I can continue stacking damage on it so the torp has done its job anyways.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
20 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Still they are more of a "stop following me" tool rather than a pure damage one.

As they have been since Aoba. Except unlike the previous ships Zao needs to show an almost 90 degree prefect broadside to launch them on a chasing target. This causes obvious problems if said chaser is... a Montana, or a Hindenburg, or basically anything not a DD.

The 12km ones though should be great for stealth torping during the initial turn to kite, before opening up with the guns. I only just unlocked those though.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
3 minutes ago, VC381 said:

As they have been since Aoba. Except unlike the previous ships Zao needs to show an almost 90 degree prefect broadside to launch them on a chasing target.

True. But with the improved rear arcs of the preceding ships you could use the island reverse suprise to get a torp volley of. In the Zao you sort of can't as you say, so the 12 km torps primarily give you a window to turn, launch and turn back into kiting mode atleast in the way I play it.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles
35 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

[...]

Stealth torping is certianly a valid tactic, just not one I primarily use. If I'm healthy I will fire the torps more as a complement to my gunpower, since the torps cooldown is a bit too long for them to be a reliable damage tool. If I hit and cause damage/flooding, great. But even if the torps miss it forces my target to dodge and normally that means I can continue stacking damage on it so the torp has done its job anyways.

Yeah, well, CB play is miles away from randoms anyway, so since the introduction of stealthtorping to Zao, it's actually a valid "ersatz shimakaze" tactic. Zao best TX DD, you heard it here first boise.

• Cool 1

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles
1 hour ago, ollonborre said:

What you mean people don't like chasing around a stealthy troll armor flamethrower that now also can dump essentially a Shima volley of torps at you?:Smile-_tongue:

Yes exactly !:cap_rambo:

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
1 hour ago, ollonborre said:

True. But with the improved rear arcs of the preceding ships you could use the island reverse suprise to get a torp volley of. In the Zao you sort of can't as you say, so the 12 km torps primarily give you a window to turn, launch and turn back into kiting mode atleast in the way I play it.

Yeah, just something to remember and practice I guess. Still, an odd and sudden shift at the end of a very consistent line.

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

WG preaches gameplay consistency accross tech trees... Yet here we are.

If they nerfed the launchers to quads but instead gave them better backwards firing arcs then I would be satisfied.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
1,858 posts
20,759 battles

Is the Zao 12 km torps a no-brainer, how should i think about them, any input from those who play Zao and have changed would be most welcome. 

I hardly use the 8 km torps, some times as area denial, but 12 km you may have use for for annoying hits, or do I think wrong? So the extra loadtime should be no problem?

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles
3 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Is the Zao 12 km torps a no-brainer, how should i think about them, any input from those who play Zao and have changed would be most welcome. 

I hardly use the 8 km torps, some times as area denial, but 12 km you may have use for for annoying hits, or do I think wrong? So the extra loadtime should be no problem?

I don't see any reason to use the 8km. Especially in CW, stealth torp for denial is absolutely fantastic. 8km is suicide range, and TBH if you're that close the 12km torps will hit anyway (and hit harder) you don't need the extra speed from the F3s.

• Cool 1

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
3 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Like VC said, it's pretty much not even a choice. The 12 km torps do everything the 8 km can do with the bonus of having longer range so you can area deny even better and fire from stealth. The cooldown is pathetic though, but with the pros I already mentioned you can now use your torpedoes every game instead of 1/10 or hell even 1/20 games.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
1,858 posts
20,759 battles
7 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Like VC said, it's pretty much not even a choice. The 12 km torps do everything the 8 km can do with the bonus of having longer range so you can area deny even better and fire from stealth. The cooldown is pathetic though, but with the pros I already mentioned you can now use your torpedoes every game instead of 1/10 or hell even 1/20 games.

8 hours ago, VC381 said:

I don't see any reason to use the 8km. Especially in CW, stealth torp for denial is absolutely fantastic. 8km is suicide range, and TBH if you're that close the 12km torps will hit anyway (and hit harder) you don't need the extra speed from the F3s.

Great , just as I suspected, will change then.

[BGNAV]
Players
106 posts
4,906 battles
On 7/10/2018 at 8:01 AM, Gnirf said:

Great , just as I suspected, will change then.

It's been some time since this comment, so I suspect you tried both of them. Imho both have a place and it depends on the playstyle. If you play more aggressively, you could make use of the really fast reload and the 8km torps. Playing up close with Zao however is not easy - Hinden is much better at this. 

Alternatively if you play the typical Zao way - HE spam from mid to long range, the 12km torps will be a lot better. Even if you make a mistake and get citadelled, you can play as a large but stealthy torpedo boat while on very low HP. The latter cannot be done with 8km torps.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,858 posts
20,759 battles
9 hours ago, almitov said:

It's been some time since this comment, so I suspect you tried both of them. Imho both have a place and it depends on the playstyle. If you play more aggressively, you could make use of the really fast reload and the 8km torps. Playing up close with Zao however is not easy - Hinden is much better at this. 

Alternatively if you play the typical Zao way - HE spam from mid to long range, the 12km torps will be a lot better. Even if you make a mistake and get citadelled, you can play as a large but stealthy torpedo boat while on very low HP. The latter cannot be done with 8km torps.

Yes I did have had some hits, however with 8 km I had barely none so at least you can use them as irritating/denial weapons from stealth.  I have never seen the torps as other than a bonus weapon, but now I at least fire them. I do play Zao the standard way. 

[OCTO]
Players
75 posts
5,906 battles
On 6.07.2018 at 9:49 AM, VC381 said:

can only fire its torpedoes... forwards. 

I would say it can fire torpedos to the side. Not forwards or backwards