You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Besserwisser3000

T9 MM = 90% T10 matches

47 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts
1,111 battles

Is anyone else experiencing this? I basically get no matches without T10s and it annoys me in a way I can`t describe here. It just feels like a drag and is no fun at all.

And yes, I recorded my matches over the past days: more than 90% T10.

Am I missing something or is there no reason to play T9 at all?

• Cool 3

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
323 posts
12,476 battles

Way better than for tier 8 ships, which face tier 10 to often too... 

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles

Whats wrong beeing midtier? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,578 battles
34 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Agreed, for sure t9 are not weak to fight T10.

• Cool 1

Players
2,267 posts
58 minutes ago, Besserwisser3000 said:

Is anyone else experiencing this? I basically get no matches without T10s and it annoys me in a way I can`t describe here. It just feels like a drag and is no fun at all.

So it's 'no fun at all' if there is only one T10 on each team ?  or 2?  where does your fun actually stop?  is this  the era of the snowflake ?  :Smile_sceptic:

Players
55 posts
1,111 battles
Vor 46 Minuten, SeeteufeI sagte:

Nothing. What`s wrong is being uptiered 90% of the time. I just don`t see the point of playing T9 then. Why play the Roon and not the Hindenburg, which is a significant upgrade?

Edit: NB: 90% T10 does not mean 90% midtier. A lot of those matches T9 is actually bottom tier.

I Don`t know, is it too much to ask to have bottom-, mid- and toptier be equally distributed?

[CATS]
Players
13,676 posts
10,389 battles

I am pretty sure Tier IX is high tier more often than 10% of the time.

Players
2,267 posts
3 minutes ago, Besserwisser3000 said:

Nothing. What`s wrong is being uptiered 90% of the time. I just don`t see the point of playing T9 then. Why play the Roon and not the Hindenburg, which is a significant upgrade?

Ah, after a little search I understand the whine a little more now.....reroll account not getting all his own way.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
55 posts
1,111 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, bushwacker001 sagte:

Ah, after a little search I understand the whine a little more now.....reroll account not getting all his own way.  :Smile_teethhappy:

And how is this relevant to my initial posting? I will help you: not at all.

Different players have different reasons for a reroll. I didn`t reroll for stats.

So before you make baseless assumptions, wishing me uptiers out of spite, please just refrain from polluting my thread. Thanks.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
1 hour ago, Besserwisser3000 said:

And yes, I recorded my matches over the past days

Most likely you recorded wrong, because for each ship you're guaranteed that after 3 matches where you're not top tier, you WILL be.

Unless you play divisions, that is, they can mess it up.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,226 posts
5,868 battles

I don't see the problem...most tier 9 ships can compete with tier 10 anyway.

[HEROZ]
Players
600 posts
5,869 battles

Well, grtting uptiered isnt too much problem in this game. Thats why I play it. Personally I enjoy alsace much more than republique. Also iowa is much more fun because I tend to give too much broadside when playing montana. Some of my best games in bismarck are from t10 matches because people underestimate you. Monarch has cruiser concealment so one can burn tier X nicely.

One just has to adjust for the tier difference. Tier 8 and 9 and 10 battleships have 32 mm armor. Also bismarck is better armored than conqueror. The rules here are somewhat flexible.

This game isnt wot. Tier 8 can compete with tier 10. Yes, it is harder, but it is doable. Just have to be more carefull.

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

i was checking my t10 MM with musashi. and i got to number of 75-80% of t10 MM.

[TS1]
Players
472 posts
7,165 battles
59 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Most likely you recorded wrong, because for each ship you're guaranteed that after 3 matches where you're not top tier, you WILL be.

I've heard this being thrown around a lot, but I haven't actually seen it being confirmed to be true. Is it actually true or just a myth that people spread?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
43 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

I've heard this being thrown around a lot, but I haven't actually seen it being confirmed to be true. Is it actually true or just a myth that people spread?

I'm reasonably sure but I didn't see the code, of course :Smile-_tongue:

Anyway, you be the judge, I can tell you what I observed:

1. I've recorded a couple dozen Akizuki matches (well, the lower end of a couple dozen, but it was about 20) and not once had I faced 4 consecutive matches without one of them being top tier. Still, this can be attributed to luck (it's not a large sample by any means), but...

2. A much more interesting thing happened to me when playing very low tier (I'm pretty sure it was t2) at poorly populated hours. You see, the lowest tiers aren't very populated and what happened was an easily discernible pattern:

- most matches were low tier

- after 3 low tier matches, however, suddenly I had to wait for the next match much longer... but when it was put together, no t3 ship was anywhere in sight, despite MM clearly struggling (some of these "top tier" matches were actually 2v2 or something. I've even had duels)

- after this extremely hard for MM match, the next one was normal (and by normal I mean both a reasonable waiting time and being bottom tier again)

It should also be noted that there are people who tell me that they observed patterns contradicting my finding. But, hey, they are other people :Smile_trollface:

Now, this can mean a couple things:

1. That the rule exists (and people who claim that their experiences disproved it made a mistake somewhere)

2. The rule exists but not for all tiers (I don't have patience to gather conclusive amount of data on high tiers)

3. The rule had existed (for some or all tiers) when I was testing it but it disappeared afterwards (perhaps dying when the semi-mirrored MM was introduced)

Take your pick. Or, better yet, do your own solid (and more up-to-date) testing. Sealclubbing FOR SCIENCE! :cap_haloween:

EDIT:

PS: @wilkatis_LV came to me with some semi-reliable data against the rule's existence, but I'm an old, stubborn mule so as far as I am concerned, the jury is out and won't be back until some further testing... that probably won't happen because I'm a LAZY old stubborn mule :Smile-_tongue: And I don't currently have much time for filthy scientific sealclubbing at t2 to at least check up on the part I was the most sure of :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles

To be honest I consider T9 worse than T8 for being in T10 games, at least in most of the ships I've played.

A lot of T9 ships are great, but there's a playstyle shift where they're generally huge and sluggish and basically expected to play like T10s. Except they're not T10s, and T10s are a big upgrade, so you're stuck trying to be a worse T10.

On the other hand, T8s are almost always stealthier and more agile than the higher tiers. Sure you have to accept you're playing a secondary role, but in my opinion it's much easier to punch above your weight by playing to your strengths, and more fun as well.

So yes, T9 MM is bad and frustrating, more so than T8. The T9s to me feel like more of a sidegrade, and the T9 grind more of a chore to get to T10.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
4 hours ago, Besserwisser3000 said:

When you're uptiered in T9 you're also downtiered.

[TENGO]
Players
1,479 posts
8,221 battles
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

So yes, T9 MM is bad and frustrating, more so than T8. The T9s to me feel like more of a sidegrade, and the T9 grind more of a chore to get to T10.

Wut?

Apart from the mogami/ibuki, amagi/izumo, bismarck/freddy I don't immediately see any other good examples. In general t9 is vastly better suited for facing tX.

Regarding OP:

I just "finished" the richelieu, where matchmaking dropped me in tX almost constantly, where is almost useless. With the handful of Alsace games I had until now, I've been top tier about half of the time. I've noticed the same with other tier 9s. (recently with Iowa & donskoi) Yes you'll face tX most of the time, but I was surprised by the number of games being top tier.

I have the feeling WG wants to make the t7's as painful as any other t8-x.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles
2 hours ago, Runegrem said:

2 hours ago, eliastion said:

It should also be noted that there are people who tell me that they observed patterns contradicting my finding.

Did the same test with my Enterprise (as T8 CVs are notorious for getting thrown into T10 matches) over a few dozen matches. I was never bottom tier more than three times in a row.

I however suspect that the rule gets waived like class soft caps if you queue for too long.

Beta Tester
1,956 posts
5,231 battles
3 hours ago, eliastion said:

Unless you play divisions, that is, they can mess it up.

this rule doesnt exists (anymore?!).

few days ago played 4 matches without division with the same ship... 4 matches and no top tier...

[TENGO]
Players
1,479 posts
8,221 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

(as T8 CVs are notorious for getting thrown into T10 matches)

Question, but attention: tinfoil hat territory

I have seen so many tX games where the only t8 ship is a carrier, sometimes also the obligatory sucker in smt like a mogami of course. Same for t6 carriers in t8 games.

Do you think there is special mm for cvs? There seem to be, imho, not enough carriers in queue that explain that amount of uptiering. Or is there smt I'm missing?

[T_D_G]
Players
367 posts
8,002 battles
5 hours ago, Besserwisser3000 said:

When you start mastering the game you wont even mind playing a tier9 ship in a tier10 battle cause simply you will know how to use the strenghts of a ship and avoid showing their weaknesses.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,166 battles
22 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

Wut?

Apart from the mogami/ibuki, amagi/izumo, bismarck/freddy I don't immediately see any other good examples. In general t9 is vastly better suited for facing tX.

As I said it's a playstyle thing. T9s are strong in their own way but they can't go toe to toe with their T10 counterparts. They just do the same thing but slightly worse and that can be frustrating. T8s have a lot more versatility they can put to use.

As I said it's not about T9 ships being bad, there are a lot of T9s I really enjoy and think are strong. But I still consider them sidegrades and they struggle in T10 just the same as the T8s, but for different reasons.

To be honest it's mainly cruisers, but that's because of how I like to play cruisers.