You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TZB77

Tier VII and VIII

8 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Players
58 posts
4,271 battles

Is this normal nowadays playing with tier VII and VIII...8 games tonight....1 top tier, 2 mid tier (1 low tier, 2 mid tier, rest high tier ships and about 5 dd's (bb main)), 5 games low tier....kinda hard to do well with those odds you know....should I go only tier IX or X ships then? I have 3 19 point captains...2 on tier VIII ships, one on a tier VII ship....any advise?

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,187 posts
10,969 battles

On T8 it is pretty normal to be lowtier very often, yes. T7 matchmaking is mostly toptier.

Not like that's a problem, lowtier ships can to damage to hightier ships just as well. And you get an XP bonus for being lowtier.

Just be a little bit more careful.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles

Well... get used to it?

I mean, at t8 for every 10 battles you can expect normally around 3 battles as top tier,  2 middle tier and 5 bottom tier.

T7 normally has it much better (especially since few people play t9) so you were probably just unlucky there, but still it's important to learn what you can (and should) and what you can't (and shouldn't) do as bottom tier. Not every ship is as good in punching up HOWEVER it's important to remember that:

1. As for XP, as long as you play well, you actually earn more XP while low tier. Of course, you need to somehow still do reasonably well, that extra XP for punching above your weight doesn't come from being obliterated, but the potential is there.

2. You normally have a mirror enemy as low tier on enemy team. It's harder to carry your team as middle tier, but as long as you're not a unicum that aims to win matches by yourself, remember: the baseline of pulling your weight is doing more than that other low tier ship rather than doing more than the top tiers. As long as you are more useful than your counterpart on the enemy team, your chances of victory, on average, will be better than 50%. Of course that's just the average from MANY battles, in any single battle the chances of your teammates being exactly as strong as the enemies are almost nil and the opposing low tier ship can be a total potato or a unicum too... but in general, it's good to remember: you're in the battle to do your job, being the most powerful and influential ship on the map every match isn't required to get decent results.

3. In WoWs the difference between tiers is much less pronounced than in, say, WoT. You CAN support the higher tier ships and deal significant damage to enemy higher tier ships. And while t10 BB sh*ts on t8 BBs and t10 cruisers laugh at t8 ones (especially since the latter don't have heal), this generally holds true within the same class/role. A t8 BB is still deadly to t10 cruisers that expose broadside. T8 Radar cruiser still instills fear in DD hearts. T8 DD-hunting DD can still wreck t10 torpboat and t8 torpboat still has all the tools needed to scare the sh*t out of enemy BBs. Make sure you know strengths and weaknesses of your ships, learn how to deal with being uptiered and this

1 hour ago, TZB77 said:

kinda hard to do well with those odds you know....

simply won't be true for you :Smile_honoring:

PS: Sorry for how general my advice is, I don't know what ships you play so it's really hard to even start thinking up some more specific advice

PPS: Limited impact of tiers on performance of ships is felt the most with DDs. As in: DDs generally benefit the least from being top tier and suffer the least from being bottom tier so if you really find it hard with other classes but play DDs too, focusing on these can lessen your pain. The one exception is the gap between tiers 7 (and below) and 8 (and above) - the introduction of concealment module is a game changer, making most t8 DDs not only stronger (better stats as tiers increase) but also stealthier (despite often being bigger) than most t7s. It's not a nice feeling to be outspotted by Akizuki or Kidd in your t7 DD...

I should know. I sail a lot of Akizuki. The t7 DD guys I outspot aren't happy. Then again, their pain usually doesn't last long :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,501 posts
10,352 battles
2 hours ago, TZB77 said:

Is this normal nowadays playing with tier VII and VIII...8 games tonight....1 top tier, 2 mid tier (1 low tier, 2 mid tier, rest high tier ships and about 5 dd's (bb main)), 5 games low tier....kinda hard to do well with those odds you know....should I go only tier IX or X ships then? I have 3 19 point captains...2 on tier VIII ships, one on a tier VII ship....any advise?

That is not uncommon for over a year...

Know your ship, select a task that helps your team and then coordinate with your team.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,850 posts
20,666 battles
3 hours ago, TZB77 said:

It depends also on what ship you have. I have not the time to search for it atm but there was a thread/post that showed the statistics and T7 generally is a good tier to play. T8 depends not only on tier but also which shiptype you play. And if you should try to search for that post, it may have been on the NA forum. Other tiers were also shown.

[-5D4-]
Players
775 posts

I wouldn’t mind being low tier if the high tier boys were not total nuggets how many times in post match results have the camping clueless 10s been at the bottom and the brave few 8s been near the top.Very flustrating 

[SCRUB]
Players
673 posts
7,178 battles
3 hours ago, chazwozza said:

I wouldn’t mind being low tier if the high tier boys were not total nuggets how many times in post match results have the camping clueless 10s been at the bottom and the brave few 8s been near the top.Very flustrating 

Theyre usually just as clueless on the other team... 

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,113 posts
2,167 battles

Tier 7 definitely feels like a sweet spot a the moment.

T8 is a massive step change with all the T9 / 10 's. It's a step change I'm not used too at all at the moment, but grinding T7's atm that I want to take to T10 so I'm gonna have to put my big boy pants on, and step up to he challenge.