BlackLellan

Is this a high damage game?

20 comments in this topic

[D__D]
Players
2 posts
602 battles

I have recently started playing world of warships.

I have played some games and gotten up tp tier 3.

Then I got this game and it is my highest dmg game yet.

I searched on youtube for high damage games for tier 3 and I get a video that say that the game in the video had almost 80 000 dmg.

The game was from over a year ago so I think that the avarage dmg have gotten higher sinse then.

My question is: Is this a better than avarage game for tier 3?

Skärmbild (109).png

• Cool 3

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,226 posts
5,868 battles

For tier 3? I'd say yes...usually it's somewhere near 50k (or closer to 30) for the new tier 3 players

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles

Yes. Congratulations. Frankly, I'd consider this decent damage at T6 or even T7, depending on what you damage and how ambitious you are.

[CR-S]
Players
321 posts
17,597 battles

For Tier 3 and especially for a new player... this is a stupidly high amount of damage :cap_rambo:

Plus the facts that you survived the battle and obviously also went for the objective by capping - i would love to see the replay.

Well done, sir! :Smile_great:

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles

Good one, usually I do less than that in T6. Congratulations!

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
16 hours ago, drmajga said:

Plus the facts that you survived the battle and obviously also went for the objective by capping - i would love to see the replay.

He actually died, but that's not really anything to be ashamed of with the rest of the result screen.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
16 hours ago, Riselotte said:

He actually died, but that's not really anything to be ashamed of with the rest of the result screen.

He played a DD. If you survive in a DD, you were either:

- a coward and got the score just by shooting long-distance torps, and idiots eating them;

- extremely lucky.... 

In all the games I played, rarely a DD that surviverd the whole match. 

• Bad 1

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
4 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

He played a DD. If you survive in a DD, you were either:

- a coward and got the score just by shooting long-distance torps, and idiots eating them;

- extremely lucky.... 

In all the games I played, rarely a DD that surviverd the whole match. 

Not really. If the survival rate in DDs dips too low, then it mostly means reckless play. If we take the DDs that can actually launch torps from stealth, it's pretty much their job to scout, cap and damage the enemy team, as well as potentially playing an interdiction role, by for example slowing down enemy advances (if they have to push into a torp DD). When spotting and capping, a DD should prepare an exit plan, because their boat is fragile and they are going to die if they did not make proper preparations to bail prior to trying such risky activities. Assuming you make it out of such a sticky situation with only losing most of your hp, because maybe it didn't go as well as planned, a DD that can stealth torp is best employed in that role and not for play that risks the ship.

A DD is not a BB or cruiser, it is never, absolutely never, supposed to tank damage and thus it should only ever expose itself to fire for a very good reason. Yes, there might be moments where it is actually useful to dodge tank (more a Russian thing, but I already tried to pull this crap in a Kagero, just to divert one cruiser's fire from my half-dead division mate), but typically, don't risk your ship for no gain. Most often when I die, it's being forced into daring play to try turn around a game or endgame, where the victory is pretty much secured and I want to get some more damage in.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
6 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Most often when I die, it's being forced into daring play to try turn around a game or endgame, where the victory is pretty much secured and I want to get some more damage in.

..that is usually why they all die, LOL. Once victory is secured (and the stakes are niot the number of ships), go for the kill.

After all, it SECURES the victory. The more dead, the better. I'd certainly (if I were in a DD) try to kill some more too.

There is no point surviving with 100HP left if you can kill something or deal more damage.

But that's not the point...

What I mean, when the game is 'half-time' there are usually ALREADY no DDs left. 

No doubt this is partly because lack of 'escape plans'. Must say though, once a DD is detected in the start-game phase,

there is usually not much else detected so everybody in range starts to shoot at that poor DD. 

Now, this could be a 'pre-calculated risk'. When detected, get Tha Fak Outta There. 

But, usually they smoke up - which is OK in T4, after that very risky. 

Because if they have nothing else to shoot at, the other ship will just 'saturate the smoke'. 

And if the DD is still in there, he has to be very lucky to escape with rapid-firing CA and CL. 

And they'll KNOW if they hit him... (there is black smoke and such too so everybody else now has the position as well).

This is why I do not sit in smoke in the Leander... unless I came there undetected and somebody else is spotting (or have hydro working).

I do not play DDs much, my son does though and we're often in a division. 

He does usually not expect to survive the game... 

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
2 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

..that is usually why they all die, LOL. Once victory is secured (and the stakes are niot the number of ships), go for the kill.

After all, it SECURES the victory. The more dead, the better. I'd certainly (if I were in a DD) try to kill some more too.

There is no point surviving with 100HP left if you can kill something or deal more damage.

Unless the game is secured, surviving at 100 hp allows you to sneak into undefended caps, torp ships from stealth, spot, draw out games to maybe win by points, etc. Heck, you even just deny the enemy the points for the kill (and preserve your side's points). Basically the only time I don't care is when it's like 5 ships chasing the lone surviving enemy and I open up with the guns, because it's a minute before end of match and we are at 900 to 200 or so.

4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

What I mean, when the game is 'half-time' there are usually ALREADY no DDs left. 

No doubt this is partly because lack of 'escape plans'. Must say though, once a DD is detected in the start-game phase,

there is usually not much else detected so everybody in range starts to shoot at that poor DD. 

Planning starts by capping from a position that isn't a shooting gallery, if you are at risk of getting spotted before you could react. People do not open fire on targets that they have no line of fire on. Obviously you cannot just camp some rock and not see a thing, but camping next to the rock for quick dives into safety help.

7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

But, usually they smoke up - which is OK in T4, after that very risky. 

Because if they have nothing else to shoot at, the other ship will just 'saturate the smoke'. 

And if the DD is still in there, he has to be very lucky to escape with rapid-firing CA and CL. 

And they'll KNOW if they hit him... (there is black smoke and such too so everybody else now has the position as well).

Smoking up and sitting in the smoke is just dumb, if you are being pursued by cruisers. Most cruisers have hydro, upper tier has radar. They will just light you up and kill you. If you don't just run off without smoke, you lay the smoke to obscure vision of your retreat, but you don't sit in there. It's dumb already at T4, but at T4 folks let you get away with it more.

10 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

This is why I do not sit in smoke in the Leander... unless I came there undetected and somebody else is spotting (or have hydro working).

The main reason I sit in smokes in Leander is because I use Leander smokes mostly offensively, hardly ever defensively. But yeah, sitting in your smoke when chased by the enemy is hardly ever a smart idea, with noone spotting anyway. The only reason to do that is if you are surrounded or there are planes spotting you if you leave. In either case though, you likely already messed up.

For offensive use though, if you find a position where your enemy stays spotted by others and you don't have to fear immediately getting flushed out by radar or torps, the smoke gives the Leander a means to be an A-grade annoyance.

• Cool 1

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles

Good post Riselotte. 

Yes T4 you get away with a lot. Probably more than you should be expecting. 

This leads to many DD deaths in T5, T6 et cetera. Some do not adapt as long as the damage count is acceptable. 

But, if we are at 800-900 points and we have the majority in ships, I'd even ram if I thought I'd get away with it.

Uhhh and yes I do have many 'killed enemy after selfdeath' awards hahahah.

I do fire on targets that I do not have a line fo sight on though, and if everybody is shooting at them, I fire where I expect them to go next (behind that rock).

If they do not kill him, I usually do... there's more people 'planning ahead (LOL).

You are right about Leander ( I like that ship, a lot). One more trick I do is I leave smoke at high speed. 

That's no use to myself but it can smoke up a lot (I run the 'double size smokescreen' on the Captain skills). 

Especially good if you are in a division and you manage to smoke up your teammate in the big fat BB. 

You will still get points because of damage done by the BB, from your spotting. DDs could do that too. 

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Good post Riselotte. 

Yes T4 you get away with a lot. Probably more than you should be expecting. 

This leads to many DD deaths in T5, T6 et cetera. Some do not adapt as long as the damage count is acceptable. 

But, if we are at 800-900 points and we have the majority in ships, I'd even ram if I thought I'd get away with it.

Uhhh and yes I do have many 'killed enemy after selfdeath' awards hahahah.

I do fire on targets that I do not have a line fo sight on though, and if everybody is shooting at them, I fire where I expect them to go next (behind that rock).

If they do not kill him, I usually do... there's more people 'planning ahead (LOL).

You are right about Leander ( I like that ship, a lot). One more trick I do is I leave smoke at high speed. 

That's no use to myself but it can smoke up a lot (I run the 'double size smokescreen' on the Captain skills). 

Especially good if you are in a division and you manage to smoke up your teammate in the big fat BB. 

You will still get points because of damage done by the BB, from your spotting. DDs could do that too. 

BBs get almost no use out of smoke screens. If you look up concealment in port or press H in game, you can see the concealment when firing from smoke. The only BB I found with anywhere acceptable smoke firing capability is Giulio Cesare (because that ship totally needs it...) with not even 11 km. But for most, the smoke is absolutely useless and the only way they can abuse it is with secondaries. Please note that while less punitive for the Leander, it also has such a value and a very close opponent can detect you if you keep firing. Just like with BBs though, your secondaries don't count and for whatever reason, those secondaries can actually hit things (got Close-Quarters Expert awards already...)

So, if you are in divisions, I recommend other cruisers that can make use of smoke and of the massive clouds you are creating with your build. Almost any T6 cruiser is a good division mate, except Graf Spee (or its HSF variant), because the 283 mm guns also have punitive smoke firing penalty. Best friends would likely be Nürnberg though, because it has similar handling, benefits a lot from cover with its bad survivability and can put its serious dpm to use. Also, German hydro beats your Leander hydro. Or another Leander (or Perth) that could allow you both to stay smoked up non-stop. Nürnberg and Perth also allow for a catapult aircraft, which is a neat way to still be spotting even when smoked up.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles

We both have Leanders and Nurnberg, never noticed the catapult aircraft spotting anything though.

I thought it was just a range-extender... 

• Funny 1

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
Just now, BLUB__BLUB said:

We both have Leanders and Nurnberg, never noticed the catapult aircraft spotting anything though.

I thought it was just a range-extender... 

No, as the name suggests, spotting aircraft actually can spot ships (as can all aircraft). Obviously, aerial detection ranges for ships are different from surface detection ranges, but one frequent use of catapult aircraft is as recon aircraft. It flies circles over your ship though, so it's not like it spots from above your ship directly. Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft skill gives two aircraft, which fly opposite of each other around your ship, providing better coverage thus.

Worth noting, catapult aircraft come in two flavours:

Spotter plane, which extents range. This plane flies typically for 100 seconds (180 seconds on Perth (and I think RN CLs, but who ever uses spotter plane over smoke or radar?)) and gives a slight range increase. For spotting purposes, this aircraft can spot targets up to, I think 15 km and it flies further from the ship. Additionally, it gives a different view for aiming, allowing for better adjustments when firing over obstacles.

Fighter plane, which attacks enemy aircraft coming near your ship. This plane flies for 360 seconds on cruisers (90 seconds on BB) and for spotting purposes, it is worth keeping in mind, it flies closer to your ship and can only spot to the usual maximum plane spotting range of 11 km.

Both can be very valuable, if you can make proper use of them.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles

Never noticed it working though... I have spotter planes on New Mexico,  Arizona and Q.Liz.

However, the thing is, I aim for some ship 20k away and then it disappears, even if I have the plane up. 

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles
3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Never noticed it working though... I have spotter planes on New Mexico,  Arizona and Q.Liz.

However, the thing is, I aim for some ship 20k away and then it disappears, even if I have the plane up. 

20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

No, as the name suggests, spotting aircraft actually can spot ships (as can all aircraft). Obviously, aerial detection ranges for ships are different from surface detection ranges, but one frequent use of catapult aircraft is as recon aircraft. It flies circles over your ship though, so it's not like it spots from above your ship directly. Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft skill gives two aircraft, which fly opposite of each other around your ship, providing better coverage thus.

Worth noting, catapult aircraft come in two flavours:

Spotter plane, which extents range. This plane flies typically for 100 seconds (180 seconds on Perth (and I think RN CLs, but who ever uses spotter plane over smoke or radar?)) and gives a slight range increase. For spotting purposes, this aircraft can spot targets up to, I think 15 km and it flies further from the ship. Additionally, it gives a different view for aiming, allowing for better adjustments when firing over obstacles.

Fighter plane, which attacks enemy aircraft coming near your ship. This plane flies for 360 seconds on cruisers (90 seconds on BB) and for spotting purposes, it is worth keeping in mind, it flies closer to your ship and can only spot to the usual maximum plane spotting range of 11 km.

Both can be very valuable, if you can make proper use of them.

Note that? Spotting plane spots things closer by, which is why BBs and cruisers often launch them when they think DDs might be close by, as a DD 7 km away from you is still a good bit out of detection range and a spotter plane would spot it or force it to move further away. It also can spot incoming torpedoes if it flies over them. Also, no BB has 20 km aerial detection range, even if there was no limit on how far aircraft can spot.

Also, firing at targets 20 km away in a T6 is pretty much just a joke, typically done when you ran out of targets closer and cannot get into position fast enough because of godawful speed. Which means, it'd be good to get closer to the action in the first place. at 20 km, New Mexico cannot hit crap with its terrible dispersion.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Note that? Spotting plane spots things closer by, which is why BBs and cruisers often launch them when they think DDs might be close by, as a DD 7 km away from you is still a good bit out of detection range and a spotter plane would spot it or force it to move further away. It also can spot incoming torpedoes if it flies over them. Also, no BB has 20 km aerial detection range, even if there was no limit on how far aircraft can spot.

Also, firing at targets 20 km away in a T6 is pretty much just a joke, typically done when you ran out of targets closer and cannot get into position fast enough because of godawful speed. Which means, it'd be good to get closer to the action in the first place. at 20 km, New Mexico cannot hit crap with its terrible dispersion.

That does clear it up a bit. So, I am supposed to use the plane to spot stuff that is closer than 15 km. 

But it gives me a range extend to 20. LOL. I'd never have figuered that one out.

20km is pretty good. I did that in the New York (at least that can ALWAYS fire that far, which is a disappointement in T6...).

I have 'sniped ', many CLs abnd DDs at distances over 15 km. At 20km I usually hit BBs only. CLs are 'not too likely', and forget about DDs.

Anything under 15k WILL get a pummeling - I usually shoot AP at broadside targets.

Yes you'd be right in 'getting closer'. Usually I try, but the US BBs are not the quickest (QE is also not a speedboat...).

So, at the start of the game, usually most just float around. But I try to shoot something. 

I'd not say the New Mexico has bad dispersion. The Arizona is a bit better though. QE is pretty much like that as well. 

[POI--]
Players
3,203 posts
4,348 battles

NM dispersion is frankly crap, only helped by throwing out 12 shells.

[AS13]
Players
1,204 posts
1,575 battles
9 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

NM dispersion is frankly crap, only helped by throwing out 12 shells.

Maybe, I haven't got that many BBs to compare. It is worse than New York and QE for sure.

At long range I usually do not fire the whole salvo at once though, but take 'single shots'.

Of those singles (actually it is 'per turret', usually one lands sort of where it is aimed the other goes way off.

Then, when I start hitting the target, the salvo follows. Usually 4 hits out of 12 on NM. 4 out of 8 on QE.

In New York, 6 out of 10. Depending on what you shoot at (BB, CL DD) and what gets hit, sometimes deletes CLs.