You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fat_Maniac

Remember X marks the spot?

80 comments in this topic

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,123 posts
2,189 battles

Remember how lots of people called x marks the spot on the extended minimap in Aslains modpak a cheat and aiming mod?

Well everybody is going to have it now, as of 0.7.7 

44e Minimap will display the point where the guns of the ship are aimed. This will allow players to better understand the firing and aiming mechanics

so how do we all feel?

Personally it doesn't bother me, and i think its good everyone gets it, but how do the smoke using drivers feel about it?

Not trolling or trying to stir, I'm genuinely interested.

• Cool 1

Players
721 posts
10,603 battles

May it raises awareness that a minimap actually exists.

• Funny 7

[BYOB]
Players
2,686 posts
9,840 battles

I expect a lot of salt. Goes well with popcorn. :cap_popcorn:

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles

It isn't cheating if everyone can do it :Smile_great:

Now if only they'd add monstro's markers into the game so I can see when my allies have radar, hydro, AA, etc. up. I could care less about this one now, I just want those back ...

• Cool 2

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
10 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Personally it doesn't bother me, and i think its good everyone gets it, but how do the smoke using drivers feel about it?

Maybe some more people will now learn to move inside their smoke and not just sit still, but well...

Really, it won't revolutionise smoke play. Before, sitting still just meant you had faith in the enemy being crap at blindfiring smokes based on tracer and that noone would torp you. It's a gamble. Now you basically just gamble on them being able to use their minimap... which actually might still be too taxing for a lot of them, so, yeah... not much will change.

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles

I hope this new thing with guns pointer we can remove. I dont know for others but for me it would be deconcentration in battles.

Players
877 posts
11,126 battles

While I don't know, I presume without the lock-on it won't and did not have a serious effect anyway.

However, let's play on level field or not at all, so - welcome, I guess? I could imagine more useful UI tweaks, but oh well.

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles

Banning it and enforcing such a ban would be much harder I guess. 

I've used the mod in the past but I haven't installed it in 3 or 4 patches because it didn't really help that much, and a fewdays ago I managed to hit a ship in a cyclone 9 km away without using the mod, so... okay I guess.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,914 posts
9,129 battles
6 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

Banning it and enforcing such a ban would be much harder I guess. 

Yep, guess that's an instance of "can't beat 'em, join 'em" by WG.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,561 posts
9,093 battles
Just now, Aotearas said:

Yep, guess that's an instance of "can't beat 'em, join 'em" by WG.

Indeed, but I'm still waiting for my complimentary Nikolai and Payfast.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,115 posts
11,275 battles

X marks the spot + spotter plane toggle = lots of smoky citadels...

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,123 posts
2,189 battles
26 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Now if only they'd add monstro's markers into the game so I can see when my allies have radar, hydro, AA, etc. up. I could care less about this one now, I just want those back ...

But that would be coordinating with your team, Team play in WoWS, you go too far Sir :Smile_Default:

Of course you assume that having the ability to see when a team mate has Radar defAA or Hydro up, that the average player will know if he/she should pop their own at the same time.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,123 posts
2,189 battles
26 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Maybe some more people will now learn to move inside their smoke and not just sit still, but well...

Exactly.

Players
127 posts
6,032 battles

X mod is already broken, flamu has spent streams showing how broken it is. Why are wargaming doing this, smoke firing is a skill, firing over islands is a skill, it make sit so easy, they even have the audacity to say this : Please note that it will hardly affect the survivability of ships that prefer the tactics of putting smoke screens or using terrain as a cover. Firing at an enemy ship without being locked on to her is less effective than firing at a ship in your reticle, because without having a lock on, the shell spread significantly increases, which makes hitting the enemy much harder    

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
5 minutes ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

X mod is already broken, flamu has spent streams showing how broken it is. Why are wargaming doing this, smoke firing is a skill, firing over islands is a skill, it make sit so easy, they even have the audacity to say this : Please note that it will hardly affect the survivability of ships that prefer the tactics of putting smoke screens or using terrain as a cover. Firing at an enemy ship without being locked on to her is less effective than firing at a ship in your reticle, because without having a lock on, the shell spread significantly increases, which makes hitting the enemy much harder    

If the unseen ship moves just a slight bit, you are basically back to aiming at the tracer, as any blind shots at last known position on mininmap will just miss.

• Cool 1

[HOME]
Players
578 posts
7,635 battles

It is only useful when you have the minimap maximised and we all know how many players have it enabled on the smallest possible size. ? 

Also you can't shoot somewhere on the minimap without LoS so people behind islands are just as safe as they used to be against the spotter plane.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,587 posts
6,660 battles

I run one mod which mutes the godawful camo.  Mostly due to crashes mind, not because i find anything in Aslain's pack to be unfair.

I'd run XVM if we had it in WoWS.

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,123 posts
2,189 battles
1 minute ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

I'd run XVM if we had it in WoWS.

There is that external app that does what XVM does in WoT. I believe it uses the replay file and makes calls to the WG API to pull in player stats

Players
730 posts
11,481 battles

As far as what is shown in the initial notes, the implementation WG pretends to do is basically a tweaked version of that mod, yet a bit less accurate under certain circumstances due to using a circle instead of a cross.

1 hour ago, AkosJaccik said:

While I don't know, I presume without the lock-on it won't and did not have a serious effect anyway.

However, let's play on level field or not at all, so - welcome, I guess? I could imagine more useful UI tweaks, but oh well.

The effect is having a more precise knowledge of your own aiming distance for hitting unlocked ships. That helps when targeting ships in smoke or out of visual range during a cyclone but requires a reasonably clear LoS to the target (i.e., no or very low islands in between). The same could be done with a bit of practice aiming to the gun flashes, though, and if the target moves then you have to go by trial and error in any case. It might also help with plunging fire against locked-on ships behind an elevated island without the need for double-tapping M.

Salute.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,587 posts
6,660 battles
4 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

There is that external app that does what XVM does in WoT. I believe it uses the replay file and makes calls to the WG API to pull in player stats

External app?  Where?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
1 hour ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Remember how lots of people called x marks the spot on the extended minimap in Aslains modpak a cheat and aiming mod?

Well everybody is going to have it now, as of 0.7.7 

44e Minimap will display the point where the guns of the ship are aimed. This will allow players to better understand the firing and aiming mechanics

so how do we all feel?

Not trolling or trying to stir, I'm genuinely interested.

The main problem of "X marks the spot" wasn't its existence but the fact that it was a mod. When introduced into vanilla it might bring some changes to meta. It will be easier to deal with ships firing from smoke or shooting over sight (but not LoF) obstructing islands. But it won't be an unfair advantage for those who do have the mod.

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

The main problem of "X marks the spot" wasn't its existence but the fact that it was a mod. When introduced into vanilla it might bring some changes to meta. It will be easier to deal with ships firing from smoke or shooting over sight (but not LoF) obstructing islands. But it won't be an unfair advantage for those who do have the mod.

Will it though? If you look at random battles, I'd expect most folks to not even know what to do with a spotter plane or how to effectively blindfire into a smoke. Too many people out there aren't even able to make proper ammunition choices or angle and you expect them to notice that circle on the minimap that is on the smallest setting?

Players
380 posts

Had a cyclone yesterday while in my Hood; enemy was spotted by ally, took a shot, surprised myself when a citadel ribbon popped up. Did make me start thinking about the X-marks-the-spot mod, which I tried for a few days, and whether I should give it another go. So a surprising coincidence to me to find the next day that they are adding the O-marks-the-spot (no tovavich, is different, is noughts and crosses, so not same).

Main use I found for the X-marks-the-spot mod was a sanity check on my aim; I find some angles hard to judge and when I had the "X" and the bearing line from the ship I could make a quick tweak to make the "X" be on the line. On the other hand it was only a tweak and well within the sort of dispersion you can get and so I didn't feel like I was getting any more hits. So this "O" will probably be useful in the same way of being another tool to use that will still leave me as a potato.

I do feel like Wargaming are being disingenuous though with the text VeryHonarbrah quoted, specifically the bit "Firing at an enemy ship without being locked on to her is less effective than firing at a ship in your reticle, because without having a lock on, the shell spread significantly increases, which makes hitting the enemy much harder." It seems to me that if you are aiming for a general location then you want the shells to spread about a bit more so if as Riselotte says the "unseen ship moves just a slight bit" it's still within that area, and one complaint about things being "braindead" has been that wider dispersion allows a lucky hit.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
Players
636 posts
7,829 battles

Great. Another reason not to spend any more money on this game. WG is trying to max it out I guess.

Nerf DDs and cruisers. Nerf cruisers and DDs. Nerf them more!!!! Even more!!!

Next change: Torpedoes visible all times!

I wish I could play the game as it was when I joined...

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3