Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BrettMRC

New monitor....why can't I hit anything?

17 comments in this topic

[TIDES]
Players
75 posts
3,265 battles

I did a big PC upgrade a few weeks ago, since then I'm finding it really hard to hit targets - especially with BBs.

It can't just be RNG, I'm not the best player of WOWS - but I'm not this crap either...

Surely the timing marks on the interface, along with learnt adjustments per ship should be the same regardless of resolution?

Players
978 posts
5,904 battles
12 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

Surely the timing marks on the interface, along with learnt adjustments per ship should be the same regardless of resolution?

They are, but I never used this method after the early days when I was a noob trying to learn BB's. Aiming should be automatic.

What resolution and aspect ratio? New monitor resolution can throw you off, because everything seems smaller. I suggest practice with fast firing ships like cruisers so that you can get your aim back. Also install the Navigator mod from Aslains mod pack, it helps you determine how the enemy is angled and if he is turning or not. What also helps is firing your BB turrets one by one so you get a bit more feel for how far your aim is off.

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

I will assume you are using a static croshair and you increased your screen resolution from lets say 1680 to 1920.
If i am not mistaken you need to retrain yourself how to aim now.
An easy way would be to enter training, fill it with moving but not shooting bots, grab something that you are confident you can hit ships in it and train for a while there.

Otherwise, if you are using a dynamic croshair and you know max speed of ships and can also figure out their moving speed from their smoke stacks its probably just bad luck.

Have you tried reverting back to the old screen analysis just to compare your hit rate %?
Meaning in the new screen switch back from 1920 to 1680 and see whats happening playing like that.

[KAKE]
Players
1,335 posts
3,588 battles

Possibly silly question, but did you reinstall the game after the upgrade? Do you have the same settings now as you did before (e.g. static vs. dynamic crosshair etc.)

I recently installed WoWS on the laptop (in addition to the desktop PC), and it took me like three games before I had everything set up the same way. Always something you forget in the beginning.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,253 posts
3,482 battles
18 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

I did a big PC upgrade a few weeks ago, since then I'm finding it really hard to hit targets - especially with BBs.

It can't just be RNG, I'm not the best player of WOWS - but I'm not this crap either...

It's probably due to resolution change.

Most crosshairs will always look the same regardless of resolution, meaning they will not scale to the monitor, and therefore the same lead notches you applied before are not going to be applicable to the new resolution. I would advise observing the fall of shot and reducing/increasing the lead accordingly, or reverting to your old resolution.

[TIDES]
Players
75 posts
3,265 battles

Complete new build, 43" screen at 4k...

Anyway... turns out it was some shocking RNG - just run a training room and had a play...it's deffo RNG/Me in the randoms....oh well, more practice required!

[TIDES]
Players
75 posts
3,265 battles
32 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

You did switch it on, did you?

Too much technology! :D

• Funny 1

Players
846 posts
13,386 battles

It's a matter of adjusting to the new resolution/aspect ratio almost for sure. It happened to me when I changed from a CRT monitor to a widescreen: I kept aiming for a couple of weeks to more or less the same spot as I was used to, hence the salvoes were off. I had to re-learn and re-habituate the lead for/against every single ship by trial and error.

Salute.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,423 posts
6,923 battles

Hence why dynamic reticle is great. 

• Cool 1

Players
74 posts
3,044 battles

Take into consideration the change in mouse movement distance.

If you are using a different sized monitor or different resolution, the distance the mouse travels over the screens will vary between them.

[TIDES]
Players
75 posts
3,265 battles

Dynamic Reticle is deffo better!  (i'm still rubbish though!)

Sign in to follow this