Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Alelos

Question: How often ships come back to sales. I want Asashio.

53 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,636 posts
8,549 battles

Since they started doing a rotation of a large number of ships as regular inventory (no bundles or special offers) I honestly don't know when they slot in the newer ships into that rotation.

I think the newest ship they are selling in the regular line-up is the Ashitaka, which was sold for the first time on December 1st last year.

[TIPC]
Players
269 posts
11,207 battles

Well WG-s usual Summer-Sale should be "soon"-ish,I guess they might throw the stuff they have in the shop.

(-the banned for sale stuff ofc)

Beta Tester
2,540 posts
9,867 battles

It will be sold again.

WR is the same as KIDD, so not OP. 

Average dmg is higher, but only because it mostly damages BBs.

Having too many will not work though, since you will have to go for the same targets.

[HOO]
Players
1,244 posts
2,661 battles

Don't we have WG's 20th anniversary coming up later this year?

You may see something  then.

And then at Christmas they may sell the armada bundles again. 

[OCTO]
Players
895 posts
16,953 battles
2 hours ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

I don't think  hope that the asashio will  never come back to the store … ever.

FIFY.... :Smile_hiding:

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
18 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

FIFY.... :Smile_hiding:

your hope i guess.

i had hoped for a balanced, japanese destroyer. Instead, we got a ship, who's usefulness depends on the number of battleships on the enemy team. 

• Cool 1

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles
10 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

your hope i guess.

My hope too. The ship not only is pretty situational and an insult to anyone who ever wanted a decent T8 IJN premium DD competitive with Loyang or Kidd (and not limited to collaboration and hardly ever on sale like Harekaze). It also is typically the Tirpitz of DDs, often about as useless as could be.

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
14 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

My hope too. The ship not only is pretty situational and an insult to anyone who ever wanted a decent T8 IJN premium DD competitive with Loyang or Kidd (and not limited to collaboration and hardly ever on sale like Harekaze). It also is typically the Tirpitz of DDs, often about as useless as could be.

It definitely is.

on the other hand, this ship is so brutally effective vs the BBs, that it might never come back to the store. 

not because it is a good ship, but because the russian server is highly populated with BBs.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,058 posts
6,109 battles

It's fairly unlikely to return.

-Its hated by BB mains as "unfair torps". BB mains are a large portion of the playerbase, particularly on RU, and WG generally panders to them

-It appealed to the worst kind of players - those that only feel safe 20km away from the nearest enemy ship.

I have an Asashio. I really like my Asashio. I have argued/debated repeatedly with people that its more useful than people claim (mine is currently on 68% WR). I still groan when I see one on my team.

[OCTO]
Players
895 posts
16,953 battles
58 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

your hope i guess.

i had hoped for a balanced, japanese destroyer. Instead, we got a ship, who's usefulness depends on the number of battleships on the enemy team. 

Check my emblem. It might give you a hint ;)  I have almost all premium DDs, yet I will never buy Asashio.... 

[SM0KE]
Players
2,943 posts
6,862 battles

I have Asashio too; as others have said, it's wildly situational. I've also had people express surprise when I try and cap in mine - I hate to think what the majority of users are doing with theirs.

With the new modules for T10 thing going on, lots of people seem to be playing T10s at the moment, so it's currently suffering a bit with MM, especially in conjunction with the new US cruisers spike.

There does need to be a sensible IJN T8 premium DD though...

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

There does need to be a sensible IJN T8 premium DD though...

It does. Sadly they used the best canditate for such a ship to create the Asashio, which is one of the major things I hate about the ship. The legacy of the Asashio-class is represented by this derp boat. I guess unless WG just ignores IJN DDs and considers Harekaze as a collab ship and Asashio as a premium sufficient, the next best candidate for T8 premium is Yukikaze?

inb4 Yukikaze becomes a PA premium as Tan Yang...

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
21 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Check my emblem. It might give you a hint ;)  I have almost all premium DDs, yet I will never buy Asashio.... 

I like DDs as well. 

except lately in high tiers. Too much radar and static gameplay. I love them mid tiers - but i live all classes mid tiers. Matches are simply better.

on the matter of "unfair" torpedoes. They really are unfair but you can do things to avoid eating more than one at a time. The asashio is a highly questionable ship in general. It has unfair torpedoes, that are unfun to play against but on the other hand, the ship is not really useful if it can't fight BBs. Sure you can go into the cap and spot but a german or american DD will ruin your day. Add radar and you know that you will have a hard time.

conclusion. Its a ship, who's effectiveness depends on brain dead BB players (ok - that's possible), BB players naturally hate them, its a wasted spot for an actually useful DD, aside from the torpedoes vs BBs, it can only spot and most players can't play her. Im addition, its a smack to the face of any serious DD player.

it should take its place next to the belfast, kutusov, Nicolai and kamikaze.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,177 posts
2,939 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

How about Vernyy and Vnezapniy ? Stronk russian ships. Very good. Much better than Japanese Destroyer because Russian.

In all honesty though, since Vernyy and Vnezapniy were (or were to be) rearmed with Russian armament (four 130mm for Vernyy plus 533mm tubes, eight 102mm for Vnezapniy plus a quad 533mm tube), they could actually make some rather original premiums.

[KAKE]
Players
1,335 posts
3,588 battles
30 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I have Asashio too; as others have said, it's wildly situational. I've also had people express surprise when I try and cap in mine - I hate to think what the majority of users are doing with theirs.

I find that on a lot of domination maps, it works wonders when you just sort of hang around the B cap. You can torp BBs going around to either side (and they'll be too afraid to get close) and spot pretty much everything.

Also, a lot of other DD players severely underestimate her guns. I mean, they're slow to turn and slow to reload, but nice ballistics and good damage. I would have loved to see the face of the Hsienyang player who lost a gun duel to my already damaged Asashio the other night :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles
27 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

How about Vernyy and Vnezapniy ? Stronk russian ships. Very good. Much better than Japanese Destroyer because Russian.

In all honesty though, since Vernyy and Vnezapniy were (or were to be) rearmed with Russian armament (four 130mm for Vernyy plus 533mm tubes, eight 102mm for Vnezapniy plus a quad 533mm tube), they could actually make some rather original premiums.

It'd be a slower, but stealthier Minsk with less hp. And oddly enough, it would have more gun power while having worse torpedoes. Would seem interesting at T7, though I'd argue that at the very least she'd need Leningrad torps to not be flat out worse than the other Soviets.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,943 posts
6,862 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

...the next best candidate for T8 premium is Yukikaze?

I hadn't heard of her (I'm pretty rubbish at IJN ships) - she looks like an excellent candidate. Only IJN DD (edit - of her class) to survive the war, according to Wikipedia...

[BUSHI]
Players
3,298 posts
17,103 battles

In my opinion Asashio is very rewarding ship to play. I call her Shiratsuyu on steroids. So what, she can torp only BB, when most the time standard JAP torps are so easily avoided by everyone. Especially torping DD and cruisers, which are not sittig in smoke, often feels useless.

That one at least is doing something very good - murdering BB and with EM, having good spot, she can still spot, cap and fire first salvo on enemy. I was not playing her too much, but in third game I got already my new DMG record - 295K :-). Difference in torpedo hit effectiveness between ex. Asashio and Shira is like night and day. Asashio - 16.67 %, Shira - 6,53 % and those yummy floodings :-)

My best buy so far. WG please do not sell this ship again, I want her to be very exclusive ;-)

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles
15 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I hadn't heard of her (I'm pretty rubbish at IJN ships) - she looks like an excellent candidate. Only IJN DD (edit - of her class) to survive the war, according to Wikipedia...

Sole Kagero to survive, so she really fits the tier.

• Cool 1

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
14 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

In my opinion Asashio is very rewarding ship to play. I call her Shiratsuyu on steroids. So what, she can torps only DD, when most the time standard JAP torps are so easily avoided by everyone. Especially torping DD and cruisers, which are not sittig in smoke, often feels useless.

That one at least is doing something very good - murdering BB and with EM having good spot, she can still spot and cap. I was not playing her too much, but in third game I got already my new DMG record - 295K :-). Difference in torpedo hit effectiveness between ex. Asashio and Shira is like night and day. Asashio - 16.67 %, Shira - 6,53 % and those yummy floodings :-)

My best buy so far. WG please do not sell this ship again, I want her to be very exclusive ;-)

and thats the problem.

its not even a good sport and she is too good at only one thing. the rest is BS.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,298 posts
17,103 battles
10 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

and thats the problem.

its not even a good sport and she is too good at only one thing. the rest is BS.

If she is a weak ship, then standard Jap torpedo DD are just awfull. Not a gun power and very mediocre torpedo boats. US ones are far more versatile.

But Asashio can make at least battleships cry and in meantime still play for win on points, by capping and spotting as other JAP DD.

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles
19 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Difference in torpedo hit effectiveness between ex. Asashio and Shira is like night and day. Asashio - 16.67 %, Shira - 6,53 % and those yummy floodings :-)

My torp hit ratios are typically below 10% on DDs, but that isn't just dodging skills. It's because sometimes you just carpet torpan area for denial or torp a smoke to maybe get a hit or flush out enemies. Asashio won't ruin her torp hit rate with that, because torping smokes is just dumb in a ship that can only hit BBs and CVs. Nevertheless, it can be quite valuable. Similarly, if a Kagero throws a torp spread into a smoke and hits once, an enemy DD is dead, but you used 8 torps to get 20k damage and 7 will miss. If you torp BBs exclusively, more torpedoes will hit and amass damage due to the higher hp total of BBs. Still, dead ship is dead ship and I'd rather not compare the damage totals of a BB farming boat with ships that actually have a decent chance of killing a DD.

1 minute ago, Odo_Toothless said:

If she is a weak ship, then standard Jap torpedo DD are just awfull. Not a gun power and very mediocre torpedo boats.

US ones are far more versatile.

Standard IJN isn't very great by any stretch of the imagination, but that doesn't mean the Asashio is going to somehow good. It is situational and kind of the IJN line turned up to 11, it's almost a parody of IJN torp boats in how it can do one thing great and sucks at the rest. At best there is the afore-mentioned Harekaze, which has guns that are great while retaining most of the torpedo power (unlike Akizuki, though the Akizuki isn't that bad either).

Sign in to follow this