Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Haida is in shop :)

158 comments in this topic

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,752 posts
7,877 battles
22 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

The Perth commander, you say?

An interesting choice, captain! I always felt that those four skill points that went into the IFHE skill would be wasted on a destroyer, and that there would be little use for the Survivability Expert skill on a cruiser, and so I have put one commonwealth captain in my Perth, and another one in my Vampire and my Haida... but I guess there might be an argument for a different approach?

:cap_yes:

I expect I'm doing it wrong...

Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles
1 hour ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

I expect I'm doing it wrong...

Now, I didn't say that. No irony in my last post, honest! I was looking for a discussion, since I always try to use my top captains on as many premium ships as possible. My German Grossadmiral, for instance, serves on battleships as well as light and heavy cruisers. I haven't found a way to make a destroyer captain work out so good on a battleship or cruiser, though - at least not yet. Too many wasted skill points. But I would love to be able to rotate my Perth captain between all the commonwealth premiums. He's a vice admiral, after all, and he needs to get out more. I thought maybe you had some ideas?

Players
2,982 posts
3,358 battles

I do not find the Haida OP at all, it's not harder to kill than most others. 

I did encounter some devious b*stard though that I could not get, in a Haida.

Either he was very good or very very lucky to escape death by QE. 

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,752 posts
7,877 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Now, I didn't say that. No irony in my last post, honest! I was looking for a discussion, since I always try to use my top captains on as many premium ships as possible. My German Grossadmiral, for instance, serves on battleships as well as light and heavy cruisers. I haven't found a way to make a destroyer captain work out so good on a battleship or cruiser, though - at least not yet. Too many wasted skill points. But I would love to be able to rotate my Perth captain between all the commonwealth premiums. He's a vice admiral, after all, and he needs to get out more. I thought maybe you had some ideas?

I know there are specific calibres of gun for  which IFHE is essential, the six inch guns of Belfast and Perth for example.  Yet it feels really good to hit ships with Haida and Gallant guns with IFHE shells also.

Ultimately you might argue IFHE costs seven points because you need to use Demolition expert to bring back the fire chance. 

Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles
12 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

I know there are specific calibres of gun for  which IFHE is essential, the six inch guns of Belfast and Perth for example.  Yet it feels really good to hit ships with Haida and Gallant guns with IFHE shells also.

Ultimately you might argue IFHE costs seven points because you need to use Demolition expert to bring back the fire chance. 

'Demolition Expert', as a compensator for IFHE, is less necessary for destroyer-calibre guns than for those 152 mm cruiser guns. I think the fire chance penalty for IFHE on my Blyskawica and my Gremyaschy is only 1 %, not the usual 3 %. Not that 'Demolition Expert' isn't a good choice irrespectively; I have it on most of my destroyer captains.

I shall definitely have to give some thought to trying out IFHE on the Haida! I expect it could work on the Aigle as well, but I doubt that anything will be able to tempt me going back to her anytime soon... those firing angles were just too painful.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,752 posts
7,877 battles
17 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

'Demolition Expert', as a compensator for IFHE, is less necessary for destroyer-calibre guns than for those 152 mm cruiser guns. I think the fire chance penalty for IFHE on my Blyskawica and my Gremyaschy is only 1 %, not the usual 3 %. Not that 'Demolition Expert' isn't a good choice irrespectively; I have it on most of my destroyer captains.

I shall definitely have to give some thought to trying out IFHE on the Haida! I expect it could work on the Aigle as well, but I doubt that anything will be able to tempt me going back to her anytime soon... those firing angles were just too painful.

Don't do it on my recommendation alone.  I am a very average player.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,294 posts
2,482 battles
10 minutes ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

Don't do it on my recommendation alone.  I am a very average player.

Then you are in good company. I consider myself to be "barely competent" at best, not counting long range gunnery where I still suck moose eggs. I strive to someday reach the level of "fairly adequate", although I fear the road may be long and ardous. But hey, a man can dream... right? :Smile_Default: 

Beta Tester
226 posts
6,359 battles
15 hours ago, Procrastes said:

LittleWhiteMouse advises taking IFHE in her review of the Haida https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/163114-premium-ship-review-105-hmcs-haida/ . The "The Guns" and "A DeWolf in Sheeps Clothing" sections are the most relevant with regards to use of IFHE.

I can't say I'm convinced and it isn't a recommendation I've seen backed up by other CCs. I'd have to sit down and work out exactly what parts of what ships IFHE would allow me to pen that I otherwise couldn't to decide for myself and I suspect that if you didn't in fact do that IFHE would add little value anyway.

• Cool 1