You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Haida is in shop :)

158 comments in this topic

Players
640 posts
7,763 battles
4 hours ago, Pte_Maylam said:

While I would never claim to be brilliant, I just cannot make this DD work for me. You push forward to out-spot the enemy, and while I think it does outshine enemy DDs in a 1 on 1 situation, as soon as any support fire comes on, it crumbles. Its guns are ok, its torpedos are a slow reloading afterthought, useful but not brilliant, like the Akizuki's. Its manoeuvrability is rubbish and this is a heavy price to pay for the aspects which make it good. Its hydro is uninspiring.  

I utterly, utterly hate the creeping smoke. I find it harder to use smoke to break contact because it telegraphs where you are for bloody ages. If you chug around at below 12 knots, it's even worse because people chase you down. Yes, great for people who want to division up with Belfast mates, but that's an idiosyncratic and small group of people who were probably much above average players to begin with. Honestly, it's a disappointment.

I think with more gameplay and maybe a few matches where there hasn't been a CV I might come around a bit, but it made a poor first impression and I'm not overly keen on the purchase. 

Yeah, i just find the smoke annoying. I keep outrunning it and it persists forever.

Players
36 posts
3,689 battles

With the 3× XP missions that came with Haida I collected 180 000 xp yesterday during 5 h play (with flags).

I unlocked my first tier X BB, Grosse Kurfurst!

About Haida, it is challenging, strong and different in design.

It is fun !

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles
7 hours ago, Pte_Maylam said:

While I would never claim to be brilliant, I just cannot make this DD work for me. You push forward to out-spot the enemy, and while I think it does outshine enemy DDs in a 1 on 1 situation, as soon as any support fire comes on, it crumbles. Its guns are ok, its torpedos are a slow reloading afterthought, useful but not brilliant, like the Akizuki's. Its manoeuvrability is rubbish and this is a heavy price to pay for the aspects which make it good. Its hydro is uninspiring.  

I utterly, utterly hate the creeping smoke. I find it harder to use smoke to break contact because it telegraphs where you are for bloody ages. If you chug around at below 12 knots, it's even worse because people chase you down. Yes, great for people who want to division up with Belfast mates, but that's an idiosyncratic and small group of people who were probably much above average players to begin with. Honestly, it's a disappointment.

I think with more gameplay and maybe a few matches where there hasn't been a CV I might come around a bit, but it made a poor first impression and I'm not overly keen on the purchase. 

I'm having a hoot in mine. These are my tactics.

1. Approach cap point using RPF to get guns and torps pointing in the right direction.

2.Skirt cap outer edge, even stop and spot to see what enemy support vessels are inbound. If lots of cruisers coming then go to step 4.

3.You'll spot the enemy DD first usually, in which case they will either panic and smoke up or flee. If smoked up, use RPF to send your torps in, switch on hydro, and close to attack. If they don't have support open fire, the cap is yours.

4.If the enemy DD does have support coming in, then if he smokes up when spotted, then close in a bit, torp using RPF, and leave to find a safe distance to smoke up and rain down IFHE on incoming cruisers, when smoke is almost done,  turn away and use your last few puffs to cover your escape. You don't need to advance at low speed to use the smoke I often just sit stationart or move back and forth.. But remember that reverse is faster than 1/4 ahead, you'll exit your smoke.

or

Screen your cruisers and battleships, to hunt down and spot any stalking enemy DDs. Make their job so much more difficult that they move away to easier targets. In higher tiers, spot, spot, and spot.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,069 battles
9 hours ago, Akula971 said:

I'm having a hoot in mine. These are my tactics.

1. Approach cap point using RPF to get guns and torps pointing in the right direction.

2.Skirt cap outer edge, even stop and spot to see what enemy support vessels are inbound. If lots of cruisers coming then go to step 4.

3.You'll spot the enemy DD first usually, in which case they will either panic and smoke up or flee. If smoked up, use RPF to send your torps in, switch on hydro, and close to attack. If they don't have support open fire, the cap is yours.

4.If the enemy DD does have support coming in, then if he smokes up when spotted, then close in a bit, torp using RPF, and leave to find a safe distance to smoke up and rain down IFHE on incoming cruisers, when smoke is almost done,  turn away and use your last few puffs to cover your escape. You don't need to advance at low speed to use the smoke I often just sit stationart or move back and forth.. But remember that reverse is faster than 1/4 ahead, you'll exit your smoke.

or

Screen your cruisers and battleships, to hunt down and spot any stalking enemy DDs. Make their job so much more difficult that they move away to easier targets. In higher tiers, spot, spot, and spot.

That's my only issue with Creeping smoke..... ALL ships that have it can reverse faster than there smoke... Its a pain.

I agree I'm having a barrel of fun in this DD.. Gunboat per Excellence..... Kraken last night (for a lose :Smile_amazed:)  but 4 DDs per team.. ALL 4 enemy DDs fell to my guns.. :Smile_playing::Smile_playing:

• Cool 3

Players
152 posts
3,580 battles

I agree with Toby, she is great little gunboat, sure the torps are a bit awkward to use but all my kills last night were unwary DD's and a CL that thought she could outshoot me when I was buried in smoke.

Don't sit still in your smoke, too many people now days know how to aim at your shells in smoke (or get lucky, RNG is a pig sometimes) or dump their torps where your smoke is leading, in which case always turn either into the threat or away, sitting broadside in smoke is always a sure recipe for a paddling lol.

So far I am enjoying her, its a slightly different playstyle and its good to have a British/Canadian DD that can shoot its way out of trouble for a change, yes Gallant I am looking at you.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
650 posts
6,962 battles

I was very tempted to buy this ship - but a few things threw me back for now:

1. After reading LittleWhiteMouse's detailed review on this ship I came to realize that it is a very special "toy" that requires special skills to play efficiently - I'm not sure if it fits my style - just check the article, inside there is a description of the 4 types of Haida players... its fun to read...

2. The ship requires a highly skilled captain - and being a CW ship it is kinda "waste" for me to invest into that

3. Last but not least - considering my limited time to play the game the fact that it is T7 sets me back: working on the Halsey missions requires Tier8+, and also now that the Legendary Upgrade missions are going on I'd more invest playtime grinding those than to play in t7

BUT even with those limitations above I would have purchased it as a "Port Queen" but only with the Canada camo (to remind me for my 4.5years living in Canada), but that camo only comes with the most expensive package that is too much for a port pixel display...

so nogo for me

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,069 battles
1 hour ago, it3llig3nc3 said:

I was very tempted to buy this ship - but a few things threw me back for now:

1. After reading LittleWhiteMouse's detailed review on this ship I came to realize that it is a very special "toy" that requires special skills to play efficiently - I'm not sure if it fits my style - just check the article, inside there is a description of the 4 types of Haida players... its fun to read...

2. The ship requires a highly skilled captain - and being a CW ship it is kinda "waste" for me to invest into that

3. Last but not least - considering my limited time to play the game the fact that it is T7 sets me back: working on the Halsey missions requires Tier8+, and also now that the Legendary Upgrade missions are going on I'd more invest playtime grinding those than to play in t7

BUT even with those limitations above I would have purchased it as a "Port Queen" but only with the Canada camo (to remind me for my 4.5years living in Canada), but that camo only comes with the most expensive package that is too much for a port pixel display...

so nogo for me

Ill check when I get home but I think you can buy the camo in game for 2000Dubloons.

As for the ship.. Yes she is a Destroyer players DD. If you play a lot of DDs (and i've played 74 in game) and you like gunboat DDs she is a dream. You need at least a 10 point commander(but that's the same with any DD above tier 6). But I play with a 13 point at the moment (10 points used) and I do ok. I use the same commander in the Haida as I do the Perth and he works well in both

AS for Tech lines..It would not surprise me at all if we see a commonwealth DD and CA line at some point in the future.

The Australians and the Canadians had some very interesting takes on standard British Destroyers.. Like a Tribal with 4x2 102mm DP guns (X turret on the Haida)

Ive only had a few games in her. People are saying she is hard to play... IM not seeing that at all. but maybe you need to be an above average and Experienced DD player to get the most out of her.

Beta Tester
650 posts
6,962 battles
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

Ill check when I get home but I think you can buy the camo in game for 2000Dubloons.

As for the ship.. Yes she is a Destroyer players DD. If you play a lot of DDs (and i've played 74 in game) and you like gunboat DDs she is a dream. You need at least a 10 point commander(but that's the same with any DD above tier 6). But I play with a 13 point at the moment (10 points used) and I do ok. I use the same commander in the Haida as I do the Perth and he works well in both

AS for Tech lines..It would not surprise me at all if we see a commonwealth DD and CA line at some point in the future.

The Australians and the Canadians had some very interesting takes on standard British Destroyers.. Like a Tribal with 4x2 102mm DP guns (X turret on the Haida)

Ive only had a few games in her. People are saying she is hard to play... IM not seeing that at all. but maybe you need to be an above average and Experienced DD player to get the most out of her.

Well, Mister, I guess you are the ideal guy that LittleWhiteMouse has described in her analysis - a very well developed and skilled DD player for whom Haida is fun to play and becomes a lethal weapon.

(just checked your stats : 4,700+ random battles with DDs) 

I have no doubt you enjoy the ship :)

As for myself I'm a little different - despite the fact that I like playing DDs, I'm by far not good at it. Therefore I'm cautious with Haida.

But if it holds true that the Canadian Camo is available in-game I may consider taking a new Port Queen :)

• Cool 1

[TSCC]
Players
1,581 posts
18,753 battles

I'll wait and see what will be with Cossack. It is too much for to buy both Cossack and Haida even tho I would like both but between those two, currently I would benefit more from Cossack than Haida considering that RN DDs will probably arrive somewhere in the Autumn and availability of 10+pts captains. Also Nuevo de Julio with a heal now looks quite attractive and I always wanted a Brooklyn class cruiser, even if she is under "wrong" flag. I definitely intend to buy Haida but probably it won't be this time. Still I have until 20th this month to change my mind.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles

It's still early days for me, but I like Haida a lot so far; I'm having to learn a new play style though (I'm rubbish with gunboats), which is going to take a while.

She seems to reward being reasonably aggressive, which suits me - I really don't like a passive play style. I love having secondaries on a DD too, even if they are a) essentially useless, and b) a huge flashing "here I am" neon sign, when you forget to switch them off!

I was surprised how effective sneaking along in the creeping smoke can be, provided you aren't facing radar, or a Loyang etc. Previously, I'd tended to use it to screen other people, or as a "run away" thing...

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,638 posts
16,069 battles
48 minutes ago, fumtu said:

I'll wait and see what will be with Cossack. It is too much for to buy both Cossack and Haida even tho I would like both but between those two, currently I would benefit more from Cossack than Haida considering that RN DDs will probably arrive somewhere in the Autumn and availability of 10+pts captains. Also Nuevo de Julio with a heal now looks quite attractive and I always wanted a Brooklyn class cruiser, even if she is under "wrong" flag. I definitely intend to buy Haida but probably it won't be this time. Still I have until 20th this month to change my mind.

according to https://gamemodels3d.com

HMS Cossack

Same stealth (but can take stealth Module)

10km torps (looks same damage and speed)

1 extra turret

Less gun range and higher dispersion(less accurate)(hope this is wrong)

Less HP (this has got to be wrong)

.5knots slower.

I'm an idiot I will be buying the Cossack well..

Why you ask?   its the COSSACK

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles
15 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

I'm an idiot a chap of taste + discernment; I will be buying the Cossack well..

FTFY (as I'm assured the Young People say)...

Me too, by the way.

[TSCC]
Players
1,581 posts
18,753 battles
2 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

according to https://gamemodels3d.com

HMS Cossack

Same stealth

10km torps (looks same damage and speed)

1 extra turret

Less gun range and higher dispersion(less accurate)

Less HP (this has got to be wrong)

.5knots slower.

I watched Flamu while playing her on twitch and couple of videos on YT from other CCs. Her concealment is absolutely amazing (or disgusting if you want) with 5.1km, her gun arcs are not that good but nice, HE deals less damage then Haida, torps are same as Haida just 2km longer range. She is currently ultimate spotter with that ridicules concealment but her torps are lacking. Her AA rating is 9 i think so she can't do anything against them except maybe shout to them to go away.  She doesn't look as strong as Aki or Kidd but with 8 guns she doesn't look weak either.

2 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

I'm an idiot I will be buying the Cossack well..

Why you ask?   its the COSSACK

She is probably the most famous Tribal class DD. Some were more decorated like Nubian and Eskimo but none was as well known as Cossack. So I wouldn't expect anything else from a fine DD captain as you than to add this beautiful ship to your fleet.   

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles

5.1 km?! Crikey - that's gonna distress a few IJN DD drivers...

[VS-UK]
Players
46 posts
4,610 battles
On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, T0byJug said:

How many point commander do you have In her? Tier 7 DD you need AT LEAST a 10 point commander in her.

10pt with Concealment Expert. I'm sure it'll grow on me...

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
1,728 posts
6,047 battles
36 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

5.1 km?! Crikey - that's gonna distress a few IJN DD drivers...

i cant imagine WG will release it this way........

[OCTO]
Players
912 posts
17,300 battles

After I bought it (as I love DDs) and read some of the initial comments on this threads, my heart sunk a bit. 

However, very glad that I got it - it is REALLY fun ship to play, if you figure it out how. That smoke, when used properly, is very powerful. I have only 10pt captain, but I think that with IFHE, she will be very good.

Not regretting the buy.

• Cool 2

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles

the creaping smoke is her Achilles heel. 

its a torpedo magnet when fighting other DDs and her hydro is basically a crappy gimmick. Just got torpedoes by a sims. I had no chance afterwards with most of my health gone. It will take a long time till i can play with her.

this ship is beautiful but far too gimmicky for the average player. What a shame.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles
29 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

the creaping smoke is her Achilles heel. 

its a torpedo magnet when fighting other DDs and her hydro is basically a crappy gimmick. Just got torpedoes by a sims. I had no chance afterwards with most of my health gone. It will take a long time till i can play with her.

this ship is beautiful but far too gimmicky for the average player. What a shame.

If you haven't already, suggest applying the hydro upgrade (via the arsenal, if you don't have one spare) - gives you a lot of hydro run-time, which makes the lobbing-torps-into-smoke counter easier to avoid...

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
28 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

If you haven't already, suggest applying the hydro upgrade (via the arsenal, if you don't have one spare) - gives you a lot of hydro run-time, which makes the lobbing-torps-into-smoke counter easier to avoid...

Duration is not the problem. Its range is, because even with the acceleration module, the haida does not get away fast enough. i switched to rudder shift for testing.

its a shame. I am not a bad DD player but this ship shows me my limits. Having CVs on the enemy team is not helpful either. my bad luck i guess. 

not to mention the shitty torpedoes.

this is the first ship I start to regret buying.

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
1,728 posts
6,047 battles
17 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

to say it again:

smoke time (with module) 117+9.5sec

Hydro (without module) 3 minutes

waste of a hydro module IMHO

[SM0KE]
Players
2,996 posts
7,145 battles
59 minutes ago, stinkmorchel said:

waste of a hydro module IMHO

You're probably right - I need all the help I can get though...!

Players
2,632 posts
3,455 battles
29 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

You're probably right - I need all the help I can get though...!

This ship needs more than the hydro module.

it needs a buff. Plain and simple. DDs are already barely playable on the current radar-meta and you can not shoot at things, if you have to keep 8,5km distance to every landmass on the map.

its frustrating. Such a nice little ship but she is only playable by the highest of skill. 

sadly, wargaming does not give refunds.

[OCTO]
Players
912 posts
17,300 battles
8 hours ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

Duration is not the problem. Its range is, because even with the acceleration module, the haida does not get away fast enough. i switched to rudder shift for testing.

its a shame. I am not a bad DD player but this ship shows me my limits. Having CVs on the enemy team is not helpful either. my bad luck i guess. 

not to mention the shitty torpedoes.

this is the first ship I start to regret buying.

Rudder shift is a must on most DDs.

Second thing that you should try is to be less predictable. Reverse in smoke, point towards enemy, you have PLENTY options with that smoke and hydro. So far, I got nowhere even close to getting torped in smoke.