You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
worldwartwo1941

Is IFHE on a GK basically useless?

2 comments in this topic

Question

Players
7 posts
4,021 battles

I'll explain this from the very beginning.

Since a particular patch, unlike all other nations, german battleship HE penetration is calculated by 1/4 of the shell's caliber (other nations' value is 1/6 of the shell's caliber).

With this we can calculate the penetration for GK's low-caliber secondaries of 128mm.

128/4=32

IFHE brings this up by 30%, so our end value is 41.6mm, rounded up to 42mm.

Now here comes the conundrum.

95% of ships follow this tendency: their armour is either lower or equal to 32mm or higher than 42mm. One of the exceptions is Monty with her 38mm deck.

Meaning, you rarely meet ships with 33-42mm plating.

Doesn't this make IFHE for GK's secondaries absolutely useless, or am I mistaken (which happens quite often with these kinds of things).

Replies/opinions will be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,733 posts
9,234 battles
9 minutes ago, worldwartwo1941 said:

I'll explain this from the very beginning.

Since a particular patch, unlike all other nations, german battleship HE penetration is calculated by 1/4 of the shell's caliber (other nations' value is 1/6 of the shell's caliber).

With this we can calculate the penetration for GK's low-caliber secondaries of 128mm.

128/4=32

IFHE brings this up by 30%, so our end value is 41.6mm, rounded up to 42mm.

Now here comes the conundrum.

95% of ships follow this tendency: their armour is either lower or equal to 32mm or higher than 42mm. One of the exceptions is Monty with her 38mm deck.

Meaning, you rarely meet ships with 33-42mm plating.

Doesn't this make IFHE for GK's secondaries absolutely useless, or am I mistaken (which happens quite often with these kinds of things).

Replies/opinions will be appreciated.

You have the numbers right, but you missed one little detail... 

You need more than 32mm of pen to go through 32mm plating. At least 1mm more. 

Without IFHE, you are not able to pen 32mm plating, but with IFHE, you go above the magic 32mm of pen, thus you can deal damage , making the skill useful.