You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GevIon1

Ranked star savers don't exist!

9 comments in this topic

[4CRED]
Players
4 posts
4,958 battles

There is a widespread excuse for losing in ranked: there are "star savers" who ignore winning and go for the top spot to save their star in case of defeat.

Such player has high average XP but low winrate. If someone has low XP, he won't save stars, if someone has high winrate, he is a good player who deserved saving his star.

After analyzing thousands of profiles found on the site wows-numbers.com, I've found that there is no significant amount of such players. Winrate and XP correlate well, those who save stars are players with good winrate, the system works as intended. So please don't blame other players for "not playing to win, just selfishly farming damage", because it's just a myth.

Here are two of my detailed posts: https://greedygoblinblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/05/world-of-warships-the-myth-of-the-star-savers/  https://greedygoblinblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/07/final-statistics-star-saving-works-star-savers-dont-exist/

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles

Wins giving +50% XP means players with higher winrate have higher average XP?

How unexpected :cap_book:

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles

Ok, I even read your blog posts.

You are wrong. You couldn't be more wrong.

Vor 1 Stunde, GevIon1 sagte:

So please don't blame other players for "not playing to win, just selfishly farming damage", because it's just a myth.

It is not a myth. I have seen it with my own eyes. Of course you can't know if you have zero games in T10 Ranked.

And while the stats you show may be correct, you leave out basic facts like the 50% XP bonus for wins.

Zitat

Because the XP formula is well balanced and anything that gets you XP also gets you wins. So those who do good damage are actually good players who carry their team.

No, just no. Doing damage does not equal good gameplay. You can farm 150k fire damage on BBs and still be less useful than another player who just got 25k but killed two enemy DDs. But guess which one gets more XP?

And the XP formula is not balanced. For example, you can block a cap for minutes, deny the enemy team hundreds of points and you get zero XP for that.

Please, play to Rank 1 a few times and then come back here and write again.

• Cool 2

[4CRED]
Players
4 posts
4,958 battles

"Statistics over the whole competitive ranked is wrong because my personal experience says so"

Please link the profile of a SINGLE "star saver" and we can talk.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, GevIon1 sagte:

"Statistics over the whole competitive ranked is wrong because my personal experience says so"

Experience of a reliable player > your misinterpreted statistics ;)

You look at players XP and Winrate. You see that players with higher XP have on average a higher winrate.

Your conclusion is that players with higher XP do more to win and therefore have a higher winrate (and therefore deserve to safe the star as well).

But you completely forgot that a win gives +50% XP. It's obvious that this results in players with higher winrate having higher XP and not the other way around.

Little example: 2 players play 10 games with a performance worth 1000 XP. One of them wins 4 games, the other one 6 games.

With the 50% win bonus the first one will have 1200 XP average and the second one 1300 XP average.

They both did the same (according to the XP formula) yet the one with higher winrate has higher XP. Interesting, right? :fish_book:

Vor 3 Stunden, GevIon1 sagte:

Please link the profile of a SINGLE "star saver" and we can talk.

I know about the forum rules, so I'm not gonna name&shame someone, but I'll give you anonymized stats of one of these players:

b8b8f7bac1.png

Rank 1 with over 1000 games and a sub-50% winrate.

464713b24e.png

A Main Battery Hit Ratio that smells like sniping from the backrow.

And the ship stats:

585c49fa5e.png

[4CRED]
Players
4 posts
4,958 battles

At first, I'm baffled by your super-inflated ego to claim that your personal experience can beat any statistics, no matter how flawed it is.

Also, you failed to understand the most basic premises. The diagonal is obvious (higher winrate = higher XP). However for star savers to exist, they must have better XP than the baddies at the same winrate. However all low winrate players have low XP, there are no significant low-winrate high-XP players.

Your example has below average frags and below average XP (his PR is also low). So he didn't save stars too often. He is simply a bad player. How could he rank out? Because an average player saves a star 1/7 of the time (1 star to save, 7 players). Also, the irrevocable ranks give you free star saves (if you are at rank 10, you save your star every loss). So over 1000 games he could rank out without any successful star saving.

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles

Took me a while to find it, but I actually made some screenshots of two keep-star-players.

5b38c2ff97786_RankedRetard.thumb.png.f35f6fc0f1a107ec1f0eb055d936cc50.png

The Yamato and Conqueror were still nearly full-HP at the time of the last screenshot. And guess what? They came in first and second!

The reasons for the star loss where the best candidates for the star keep.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles

By the way, and just to make sure, because someone who uses stats as an argument surely would have thought about that: :Smile_hiding:

You do know that average XP stats are skewed and completely useless because they include the 50% bonus for premium account without showing if a player has premium account or not, right? :cap_book:

So yes, my argument of my personal experience > your stats still stands.

[COR3]
Players
448 posts
10,117 battles
On 6/29/2018 at 9:43 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Wins giving +50% XP means players with higher winrate have higher average XP?

How unexpected :cap_book:

How evil.... who thinks up such stuff... rewarding both going for a win and XP. O_O