You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
__Helmut_Kohl__

Massachusetts: Skill-Setup

70 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles

To me (personally), this is probably the best skill-setup:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000010000000101000100119

Here is why:

The ship absolutely NEEDS manual secondaries.

I tested AFT-only and it was awful in comparison. Only manual secondaries really make you melt DDs.

(LittleWhiteMouse: "you can reduce Alabama's dispersion down to 30% of it's normal size. Massachusetts has a baked in 40% reduction, so hers drops down to 18% of its normal size.

A stock Massachusetts will have twice the dispersion area of a fully maximized Alabama, which is still pretty bad." )

IFHE would give you HE-damage against 25mm armor, which is nice.

But without CE you cannot disengage and will be focused early, which will make you regret not having FP.

CE allows you do stick with normal USN BB gameplay, until you see a chance to push in.

While an additional Heal from SI would be nice (especially since your short cooldown would allow you to make use of it), you would only gain an additional 8.9% to your maximum healthpool.

DE on the other hand, will boost the firechance on your laser-secondaries from 5% to 7%, so you will set 40% more fires. 

BFT would only provide 10% DPM/fires on the secondaries and some AA - probably the worst of the 3.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles

Which of course all means she really needs her own skipper to make the best use of.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Which of course all means she really needs her own skipper to make the best use of.

You need to have an 18p captain available for this ship, in order to spec 3x 4p skills.

Otherwise it will not be fun I think.

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
Just now, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

You need to have an 18p captain available for this ship, in order to spec 3x 4p skills.

Otherwise it will not be fun I think.

That and manual secondaries is useless for the rest of the USN bb's as I recall

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

That and manual secondaries is useless for the rest of the USN bb's as I recall

Arkansas Beta is the only other USN ship that can make use of this skill.

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
Just now, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Arkansas Beta is the only other USN ship that can make use of this skill.

So basically yes.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles

I'm looking to get BFT, AFT, ManSec and then I don't know if I need IFHE or not, if not then CE.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
16 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

I'm looking to get BFT, AFT, ManSec and then I don't know if I need IFHE or not, if not then CE.

42 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

While an additional Heal from SI would be nice (especially since your short cooldown would allow you to make use of it), you would only gain an additional 8.9% to your maximum healthpool.

DE on the other hand, will boost the firechance on your laser-secondaries from 5% to 7%, so you will set 40% more fires. 

BFT would only provide 10% DPM/fires on the secondaries and some AA - probably the worst of the 3.

Especially if you go for IFHE (4% firechance), you want DE (50% more fires) over BFT (10% more DPM/fires).

Weekend Tester
585 posts
5,466 battles

I don't think Massachusetts is going to last two minutes without Fire Prevention. A slow BB pushing secondary range in a meta full of HE spammers?

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles
3 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Especially if you go for IFHE (4% firechance), you want DE (50% more fires) over BFT (10% more DPM/fires).

But +10% DPM is effectively 10% more damage. While +50% more fires is very reliant on your target, their build and class. DDs and to a less extent CL/CA will hardly be affected.

Fire chance also depends a lot on the length of the engagement, and you basically need to reach a certain level of fire chance for it to be really effective. Buffing bad fire chance by 50% may sound like a lot, but unless you can start fires faster than the target can put them out, it's not going to do much.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
35 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

But +10% DPM is effectively 10% more damage. While +50% more fires is very reliant on your target, their build and class. DDs and to a less extent CL/CA will hardly be affected.

Fire chance also depends a lot on the length of the engagement, and you basically need to reach a certain level of fire chance for it to be really effective. Buffing bad fire chance by 50% may sound like a lot, but unless you can start fires faster than the target can put them out, it's not going to do much.

Remember what your MM will be like.

T8+ BBs and many TX cruisers don't care about your IFHE secondaries. This is not a German BB.

+10% against DDs and low tier BBs/CAs is not worth sacrificing that +50% firechance. 

36 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

I don't think Massachusetts is going two minutes without Fire Prevention. A slow BB pushing secondary range in a meta full of HE spammers?

You take CE, so that you don't have to push in too early. It allows normal USN BB gameplay at the start.

Taking FP instead will make it hard to play normally until there is a chance to push in.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles
3 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Remember what your MM will be like.

T8+ BBs and many TX cruisers don't care about your IFHE secondaries.

+10% against DDs and low tier BBs/CAs is not worth sacrificing that +50% firechance.

That goes the same for fire chance. Higher tier ships have a higher base resistance to fire.

Just the other battle I got 113 hits with my secondaries on same tier or lower ships (Alabama mostly and a handful on an Indianapolis) for 14k raw damage. That gave me 2 fires for whopping 407 dmg. Would one more fire have done more than 1.4k damage? Maybe, if DCP was on cooldown.

Whatever use you get out of fire chance you're getting it versus other BBs which also happens to be the class with the most heals and overall survivability. The important targets like DDs and cruisers are going to worry much more about higher DPM than a couple of % more base fire chance per hit.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
5 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

That goes the same for fire chance. Higher tier ships have a higher base resistance to fire.

Just the other battle I got 113 hits with my secondaries on same tier or lower ships (Alabama mostly and a handful on an Indianapolis) for 14k raw damage. That gave me 2 fires for whopping 407 dmg. Would one more fire have done more than 1.4k damage? Maybe, if DCP was on cooldown.

Whatever use you get out of fire chance you're getting it versus other BBs which also happens to be the class with the most heals and overall survivability. The important targets like DDs and cruisers are going to worry much more about higher DPM than a couple of % more base fire chance per hit.

You are still setting 50% more fires. 

It is probably a flavor thing.

If I feel that I am shooting DDs really often, I might switch to BFT, but only for that (DDs).

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles
8 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

You are still setting 50% more fires. 

50% of nothing is still nothing.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
8 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

50% of nothing is still nothing.

Don't be ridiculous now. 

Spamming 7% HE will burn any BB pretty quickly.

Unlike other secondaries, these do actually hit...

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles
1 minute ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

Don't be ridiculous now. 

Spamming 7% HE will burn any BB pretty quickly.

Of course I understand that it's not nothing. I was just trying to get my point across that percentage increases isn't worth much if what it's increasing is very small in the first place.

7% base fire chance.

It'll be as low as 3,77% for same tier targets and as low as 2,98% against tier 10, when we're talking theoretical effective fire chance.

In practice you can't aim the secondaries so they will most likely just pepper one spot on a ship. So you'll see even lower score screen results for fire chance.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
4 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

7% base fire chance.

It'll be as low as 3,77% for same tier targets and as low as 2,98% against tier 10, when we're talking theoretical effective fire chance.

Does the Gearing have problems setting BBs on fire @120 RoF ?

Massachusetts has 157 (no BFT) on each side. 

Gearing aiming for the superstructure is no factor, since you can hit ships anywhere to set them on fire, even with small shells (as tested in Training Room).

4 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

In practice you can't aim the secondaries so they will most likely just pepper one spot on a ship. 

No. 

They are not THAT accurate.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,635 posts
8,549 battles
21 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

No. 

They are not THAT accurate.

Trust me, they are.

Max range full broadside BB you will not hit a single shell on his bow or stern other than the odd stray, unless he is slowing down or speeding up.

Did a training room with a NC at max range.

Here are the first 9 salvos:

massa_sec_disp.jpg

shot-18.06.29_12.25.49-0934b.jpg

This is using my build with no fire chance signals. So 5% base fire chance and no IFHE (yet).

ManSec + AFT + BFT, all secondary upgrades and the signal flag.

Never got a single fire, or hit for that matter, on the bow/stern sections.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
1 hour ago, Nechrom said:

Thx for the test, even though a moving/turning target would get hit everywhere of course. 

I still want to pull their DCP or get sticky fires ASAP, but I see your point.

As I said quite early, it is probably a flavor question.

Weekend Tester
585 posts
5,466 battles
1 hour ago, Nechrom said:

Trust me, they are.

Max range full broadside BB you will not hit a single shell on his bow or stern other than the odd stray, unless he is slowing down or speeding up.

Did a training room with a NC at max range.

Here are the first 9 salvos:

massa_sec_disp.jpg

shot-18.06.29_12.25.49-0934b.jpg

This is using my build with no fire chance signals. So 5% base fire chance and no IFHE (yet).

ManSec + AFT + BFT, all secondary upgrades and the signal flag.

How are training room bots set up? Do they have any Captain skills like FP that might limit number of fires?

Thats quite impressive accuracy, though. Presumably the 241 shells out of the 400 were over/under.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
11 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

How are training room bots set up? Do they have any Captain skills like FP that might limit number of fires?

No they don't. 

But a moving/turning ship will get hit everywhere. 

Thats quite impressive accuracy, though. Presumably the 241 shells out of the 400 were over/under.

That was at 11km. It gets really insane at like 8km.

One could even drop AFT for FP - not that unreasonable (9.4km range), but supports suicidal gameplay. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
894 posts
7,224 battles

I was going to buy this because it looked fun, and I like secondaries and brawling, but I'm not touching it if it NEEDS ManSec. I have Alabama already.

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles
5 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I was going to buy this because it looked fun, and I like secondaries and brawling, but I'm not touching it if it NEEDS ManSec. I have Alabama already.

Well you can drive it without that, but then the secondaries will not be something special.

It will be hit and miss, like with those on German or French BBs. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,538 posts
9,861 battles

@Mr_Tayto this Reddit post from LittleWhiteMouse might be interesting for you:

(LWM: "you can reduce Alabama's dispersion down to 30% of it's normal size. Massachusetts has a baked in 40% reduction, so hers drops down to 18% of its normal size.

A stock Massachusetts will have twice the dispersion area of a fully maximized Alabama, which is still pretty bad." )

https://g.redd.it/78vpo4rjnz411.gif?fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=8900b67bac0214c20e6a3bdcc8e67069

Source:

• Cool 1

Players
1,378 posts
5,380 battles

As I'm using mine in Co-Op only I can set aside a lot of the "better" skills needed for PvP (CE etc) and concentrate on a Manual Secondary & IHFE build for some ridiculous brawling fun!